PDA

View Full Version : Commander mode strategy

HardlyCapable13
11-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Copied and pasted this from another forum. Please add your own input, as I have no clue how to properly run as commander.

since there isn't really an instruction manual for Commander Mode, i had to pretty much teach myself how to do it. i thought i would put a few quick tips on here to help anybody who might be intimidated, and wants to play Commander but doesn't know how. it's alot of fun once you figure it out, and it is EXTREMELY POWERFUL for your team. generally the team with the better Commander will win most of the matches.

1. spam the s**t out of your UAV's. they replenish very fast and they help your team ALOT. just put the square where you want to put the UAV and press RB

2. don't call in your EMP UAV unless you see your opposing commander using a UAV of his own (red circles indicate enemy UAV's) once you see him using a UAV, just navigate your square over to the center of his UAV circle and press LB to call in your EMP UAV. this basically cancels out his UAV (he can do the same to you)

3. keep up with your squads. if you order a squad leader and his team to take an objective, make sure you give them new orders when they are done. keeping up with your squads is probably the most time-consuming thing you will do

4. keep an eye on the horizontal green progress bar on the left. this tells you what you have available to use to help your team (squad promotions, supply airdrops, squad reinforcements, vehicle airdrops). promoting a squad moves their perk bar to the top so they have all their perks available. dropping a supply crate gives them ammo, and also allows them to change their class if they want to. reinforcing their squad makes it so they can spawn back into the game faster when they die. dropping a vehicle will drop them a four-wheeler ( i rarely use this as there are plenty of four-wheelers around, and this costs you your whole progress bar).

5. use your cruise missiles wisely. don't just randomly drop them. they take forever to reload. save them for when you see 3 or 4 enemies running around one of your flags trying to cap it, or better yet, use it to get snipers off the top of buildings.

6. if you see the other commander call in a cruise missile, LET YOUR TEAM KNOW!! put your square over the red cruise missile target indicator and issue your team an evacuation order to get the hell out of there!

7. use your infantry scans/vehicle scans. these are available depending on which flags your team owns. use them. just hit A to call up the menu, and toggle to the right to select them. they scan the whole map.

8. if a member of the enemy team is on a high kill streak, you will see him highlighted on the map. put your square on him, hit A to call up the menu, toggle up and make him a "high value target". this will put a huge diamond around him for everybody on your team to see, and it stays on him until he is dead!

this is just a basic manual to get you started....don't be afraid to jump into a match as a commander and start playing around. it will take you awhile to get the hang of it, but once you get comfortable with it, you'll enjoy it alot more. best of all, you're helping your team! good luck!! commander FTW !!!

HB721
11-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Yep that's a basic manual. Commander mode is basic. You actually couldn't make an advanced guide because this is all there is to it.

Madlob75
11-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Can I not play Commander Mode from a PC? Is it only for tablets? If that's the case, it makes no sense.

TonkaToys
11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I would say that it really helps to have the squad leaders communicate with the commander - if he/she is on... tell them what you need and where you need it.

I had this on my first go as commander; I was on the PS3 and had no clue about what I was doing, but the troops on the ground were calling out where they wanted stuff and I felt I was contributing.

I've played it off the iPad and situational awareness for the commander is very low; basically the same as staring at the minimap for the whole game. These squad leaders didn't tell me what they needed, so I was doing what I could to help them.

For 3 out of the 5 games this was no more than a help for the ground troops.
The other games, the ground troops actually listened to the orders and captured the high-value flags (commander POV) first; this meant they were supported for the whole match by AC130s or Cruise missiles. I even managed to bag a big multi-kill / tank busting moment with a cruise.

Basically, if you are playing commander try to communicate with the team; they may not know that B-flag means an AC130 for example.

Sckrapps
11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Great thread, thanks for putting this together. I've been trying to read-up on commander and that is the most helpful thing I've seen so far.

I downloaded the app for Commander and will prolly use it a lot. Going to the in-laws house for 10 days over Christmas, so this will be the only Battlefield I'll have for almost two months. Commander for tablets is brilliant!

Danbo
11-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Going to the in-laws house for 10 days over Christmas, so this will be the only Battlefield I'll have for almost two months. Commander for tablets is brilliant!

Feeling for ya! I haven't been able to get into a match on my tablet though.

Sckrapps
11-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Feeling for ya! I haven't been able to get into a match on my tablet though.

Hmm, here's to hoping that maybe its because it just launched? I read somewhere that the App would go live on the 19th, but then it looked like it had been released a few days earlier. Perhaps they are still ironing out the bugs. BF4 does seem to have some problems, and getting Tablet Commander to work across platforms might be tricky.

TonkaToys
11-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Android or iPad? I haven't had an issue joining off the iPad. Unfortunately I don't think you can choose which server to join, so I can't help out online MPs.

donhardeone
12-02-2013, 11:31 AM
I finally got to install the app on my iPad and give Commander mode a go. This is GREAT for the times where I can't fire up the XBox but still want to play for a bit. As others said above, the iPad version is essentially a minimap that makes it sometimes hard to know what to do. I played maybe 15 rounds of commander mode during the holiday (I'm not big on family get gatherings with extended in-laws), and I experienced the spectrum of teams to command: played opposite some commanders, played as the only commander, played with teams that communicate, played with teams that do not, played with teams who accept/reject orders, played with teams who could give a crap what I am asking of them. Overall I found it to be addictively fun if the team you are commanding responds to your commands. I even managed to go 8-0 and get MVP one round as the Commander!

Whenever teams accepted my commands or at least followed them, I would always promote that squad next as a reward of sorts. Also being mindful of where you drop the supply crates to get effective use. One good use for the vehicle drop I found: Obliteration mode. Save that vehicle drop until your team gets the bomb, drop a vehicle a short distance ahead of them. I don't get why people don't get on a friggin vehicle with the bomb and choose to run their slow butts to an objective?!?! Another use for EMP (especially when not playing against another commander) is when you see they have placed motion sensors or you are trying to sneak a squad in on Normal mode into an objective.

It is very repetitive and can be frustrating when a team doesn't listen/respond, but overall I found it to be somewhat enjoyable overall.

TonkaToys
12-03-2013, 09:44 AM
I haven't tested it yet, but I wonder if using the Battlelog app rather than the Commander app allows you to command in a friend's game? The Commander app doesn't seem to let you do that.

donhardeone
12-03-2013, 10:05 AM
I haven't tested it yet, but I wonder if using the Battlelog app rather than the Commander app allows you to command in a friend's game? The Commander app doesn't seem to let you do that.

If you know the server number they are on you can search for it in the Battlelog app, open the server page, and click the Command button. That will launch the Commander app and join on the game. The trick is figuring out the server number they are in unless someone has a quick way to figure that out. I swear Battlelog used to show the server number prominantly, but can't find it easily anymore.

TonkaToys
12-03-2013, 11:19 AM
If you know the server number they are on you can search for it in the Battlelog app, open the server page, and click the Command button. That will launch the Commander app and join on the game. The trick is figuring out the server number they are in unless someone has a quick way to figure that out. I swear Battlelog used to show the server number prominantly, but can't find it easily anymore.

Cheers - I thought that might be the case.

donhardeone
12-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Cheers - I thought that might be the case.

Worth noting though, just because you join on their server doesn't mean you join as the Commander of their team. I'm noticing it joins the first commander onto the losing team, which let's face it usually is NOT the side with a bunch of MPs. :wink:

I have not found a way yet to switch teams that you are commanding within the iPad app.

TonkaToys
12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't mind dropping a cruise missile on MP's heads... especially as they are all a bunch of camping wookies anyway!

Sckrapps
01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
So I played as much Tablet Commander on the iPad as I could get away with during the trip to the in-laws. Since I've returned home I've had no inclination to play - I think the primary attraction of Tablet Commander is that it is a way to kind-of play BF4 when you can't *actually* play BF4. It kinda scratches the itch.

I did learn a couple things, though.

-If I'm the squad leader and I get orders from the commander I now try to follow them. I would guess I played 10 hours or so of Commander and only in 2 or 3 games did I actually have a squad leader respond to my orders. But you know what, that guy got every upgrade, every quick respawn, every UAV, everything I could give him etc. Because he made the game more interesting for me (the commander), I gave him every single upgrade and benefit. I bet most commanders would do the same, so I plan on following their orders in the future.
-I now know the conquest maps a whole lot better. Playing Commander gives you much more appreciation for where the hot-spots in conquest are, so those are the flags I race to first and try to hold, knowing that they are going to be more important.

-Solid Commander tip: save your Proxy attacks for when the enemy commander launches a cruise missile. A Proxy attack once their cruise missile is in the air will knock that missile out of the sky. I've used and been the victim of that several times, and it works well.

donhardeone
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I agree...the main time I fire up Commander on the iPad are when I can't play BF4: lunchtime at work, waiting at the tire place, in the reading room while the wife thinks I'm reading an eBook. heh

I didn't know that about the proxy attack. I have always saved mine and fired it up right before I fire off a cruise missile of my own so the other commander can't see where I am aiming it or warn his team. Good to know though, as that will help me keep the other commander frustrated. Thanks!

TonkaToys
01-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Nice tip on the proxy attack!

I read on the BF4 forums, so it is probably unsubstantiated rubbish, that playing table commander benefits from any XP Boosts, but does not count towards the timings.

donhardeone
01-07-2014, 08:31 AM
I know it benefits from double xp events, not certain on the XP boosts. If it does benefit from XP boosts, it doesn't count towards time used on the boost...that I do know.

Sckrapps
01-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I have always saved mine and fired it up right before I fire off a cruise missile of my own so the other commander can't see where I am aiming it or warn his team. Good to know though, as that will help me keep the other commander frustrated. Thanks!

That's a good idea too, so that the other Commander can't block your Cruise Missile. Depending on how certain you are of hitting a target that might be an even better idea!

I have no clue about the XP boosts - don't think I've been on while one was happening. Personally, I probably wouldn't use any big boosts on Commander on purpose. My score as a Commander is usually in the 2000 range and my score playing Conquest in regular BF4 is usually around the 3000 range, thus I'd save those boosts for playing conquest on the console.

I do know that some of the Tablet Commander stats get a little wonky on Battlelog. The points show, and I'm a Division 1 Commander in the world, but my time shown is 00:00 and I've never received any commander ribbons, etc. So not everything from Tablet Commander is fully integrated with normal BF4.

donhardeone
01-07-2014, 02:32 PM
I do know that some of the Tablet Commander stats get a little wonky on Battlelog. The points show, and I'm a Division 1 Commander in the world, but my time shown is 00:00 and I've never received any commander ribbons, etc. So not everything from Tablet Commander is fully integrated with normal BF4.

It's hit or miss for me. Sometimes I get ribbons and stats synched with my profile, but other times I don't. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it yet.

Sckrapps
01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
It's hit or miss for me. Sometimes I get ribbons and stats synched with my profile, but other times I don't. I haven't been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it yet.

Do you only play on a tablet, or have you played anywhere else? I've only ever played on my iPad, fwiw.

donhardeone
01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
I've only played on iPad using the commander and battlelog apps

TonkaToys
01-08-2014, 06:17 AM
I tried it once on the PS3 but found it difficult to understand how the controls worked... much better on tablet.