PDA

View Full Version : Is Premium Worth It?

Sckrapps
12-03-2013, 02:16 PM
I know a few people have Premium for BF4, do you think it is worth it? If you had Premium for BF3 was that worth it?

I'm thinking about picking up Premium for BF4 because I'm enjoying the game so much and it seems like an improvement on the series, although it also seems like I might be in the minority on those fronts. I passed on Premium for BF3 for a number of reasons but I'm thinking about picking it up this time. For those of you who have Premium or had it in the past, was it worth it?

sam007
12-03-2013, 02:29 PM
I accidentally bought it through Playstation Store and I regret it now.

Sckrapps
12-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that. But was that for 3 or 4? If it was for 4 then most of the benefits are yet to come, right?

Madlob75
12-03-2013, 02:52 PM

Why do you regret it? Buying it in general or the fact that you got it through PSN? Reason I ask is because I've had trouble with my PSN version.

donhardeone
12-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I kinda regret buying it for BF3, but I still bought it for BF4. BF3 I bought it solely to save money on buying each of the expansion packs. In hindsight, I did not enjoy most of the expansions as much as I was hoping so it wound up being a purchase I regret (though in honesty I would have likely paid more still for the individual expansions and regretted it more). BF4 I am optimistic that the expansions will be better based off what I have seen and heard about the Second Assault maps. It winds up likely still saving you a few bucks over buying all the individual expansions, allows you early access to said expansions, gives you additional double XP events for those of us who suck and need said weekends to level up in easier in certain areas (sniper rifles for me), and some additonal content. Though the "additional content" has proven to be merely additional crap camo and some decent dogtags that I could have done without.

Overall it is "worth it" if you intend to get all the expansions anyway, as it will save you a few bucks and give you earlier access. If you do not care about either of those, it will be a waste of money from my perspective. I'm enjoying BF4 with the 360 crew so far, so I will likely buy all the expansions...that's why I bought it finally last week.

Retro
12-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I caved with BF3 and got it. I ended up regretting it. I never really played Close Quarters or Armored Kill as they were both a joke. Back to Karkand was free with my pre-order. So I ended up paying $50 for to 2 map packs, Aftermath & End Game. All the so called "extra's" were just crap. I would have been better off just buying those two expansions separately.

Badgerute
12-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Why do you regret it? Buying it in general or the fact that you got it through PSN? Reason I ask is because I've had trouble with my PSN version.

I was bored at work today and I bought it through PSN. Now I'm worried. What are the issues? When I get home will the new DLC be waiting for me? Will I be able to play it?

Madlob75
12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
I was bored at work today and I bought it through PSN. Now I'm worried. What are the issues? When I get home will the new DLC be waiting for me? Will I be able to play it?

I think my problems stem from me getting premium for BF4 on PS3. When I ported everything over, I had trouble getting credit for the premium stuff. As for Premium itself, I think its worth it because its the main game I play. If I only plated every now and then, I might not get it.

mechatool
12-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I think my problems stem from me getting premium for BF4 on PS3. When I ported everything over, I had trouble getting credit for the premium stuff. As for Premium itself, I think its worth it because its the main game I play. If I only plated every now and then, I might not get it.

I did the same thing Madlob (premium for BF4 on PS3). What issues are you having with premium on BF4 and did you resolve them?

Sckrapps
12-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm enjoying BF4 with the 360 crew so far, so I will likely buy all the expansions...that's why I bought it finally last week.

Well, that's actually part of my worry. If lots of Mpeeps are playing it on the XB1 then Premium is totally worth it, because BF4 is my main game and the additional maps provide some fresh content. But if people don't migrate to the XB1, or it takes Dice too long to fix it and people abandon BF for other things (TitanFall?) then it seems like a waste. Everything with Premium seems based on MP, nothing for the SP Campaign. I'd totally feel like Retro did in that case.

Regardless, all the input is helpful, even if it seems pretty split.

Retro
12-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, that's actually part of my worry. If lots of Mpeeps are playing it on the XB1 then Premium is totally worth it, because BF4 is my main game and the additional maps provide some fresh content. But if people don't migrate to the XB1, or it takes Dice too long to fix it and people abandon BF for other things (TitanFall?) then it seems like a waste. Everything with Premium seems based on MP, nothing for the SP Campaign. I'd totally feel like Retro did in that case.

Regardless, all the input is helpful, even if it seems pretty split.

If they don't have BF4 fixed by Mar. 11th, then it's dead. At least on XBO. Titanfall all the way.

Ullrsdog
12-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I hope that in the end it's worth it... the CR maps look pretty cool from the live streams I've seen, Second assault brings back a couple good maps that should be fun to try out with 32 or 64 players (if either ever work right) the gear and gadgets in BF3 were just MEH for the most part...except the G53 and JNG in my opinion. In BF4 premium gives you a ton more goodies but camos, paints, and assignments are also heavy towards MEH...I just hope for solid map design and then it will be a good buy, if not...keep in mind AK was crap on PS3 due to the lack of player numbers...then I likely won't commit early next time.

Badgerute
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I hope that in the end it's worth it... the CR maps look pretty cool from the live streams I've seen, Second assault brings back a couple good maps that should be fun to try out with 32 or 64 players (if either ever work right) the gear and gadgets in BF3 were just MEH for the most part...except the G53 and JNG in my opinion. In BF4 premium gives you a ton more goodies but camos, paints, and assignments are also heavy towards MEH...I just hope for solid map design and then it will be a good buy, if not...keep in mind AK was crap on PS3 due to the lack of player numbers...then I likely won't commit early next time.

Overall, I like the CR DLC. Two of the maps are massive and are very similar to armored kill maps, but with the 64 players, there's always something going on. There is one smallish infantry based map that is similar to one of the vietnam maps from BFBC2. That is a really fun map. Maybe the best thing about last night was I only got the CE Error once.

mechatool
12-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Overall, I like the CR DLC. Two of the maps are massive and are very similar to armored kill maps, but with the 64 players, there's always something going on. There is one smallish infantry based map that is similar to one of the vietnam maps from BFBC2. That is a really fun map. Maybe the best thing about last night was I only got the CE Error once.

I started to downloading the new maps last night. I also received the CE error a couple of times halfway through a match. Between that and squad chat maxed out, I decided to play single player.

Toxic Avenger72
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
So far, it has not been worth it on XBO. None of the new maps are in rotation and the server browser is broken (it only shows empty servers).

I second Retro's comment. If BF4 is not fixed by March, then this game will be dead.

Retro
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Well last night at least the server browser seemed to be working once again. HC was back on the menu. The game was stable (at least for me). If the improvements continue I would say this;

Premium is worth it:
You intend to buy all the map packs no matter what.
90% or more of your game time is spent playing BF.

Premium is not worth it:
On XBO/PS4 the community for the short term is smaller and the Premium community is even smaller. So while 2 weeks early is nice, games on those new maps maybe at a "premium".
You split your time over other games.
You've lost trust in DICE to make things work as advertised over the first 6 months.

TonkaToys
12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Slightly different view... I think Premium was great for BF3/PS3, so I bought it straight away for BF4/PS3.

My reasoning is that it extended the life of the game right to the end, because it meant I didn't have to pay for the individual map packs. If I had been faced with that choice, I might not have bought them and then I probably would have ended up buying a different set of games instead of sticking with BF3.

And unlike many here, I liked every map and every mode; some more than others but I enjoyed the variety. I look forward to the same variety in BF4.

Beano
12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Well I'm being stubborn and will not buy premium until they fix the game. I honestly don't understand why people would buy it when the game doesn't even work. But hey to each his own I guess. I was only able to complete 1 maybe 2 games last night without crashing? It basically boils down to do I want to buy a broken product only to be fixed later? For me that's easy.

sam007
12-04-2013, 12:17 PM

I forgot I gave them my CC and was wondering why I was able to buy BF4 without having any funds in my wallet as I had bought $60 in PSN cards.

I pressed the purchase button.

emanning27
12-04-2013, 06:59 PM
i bought it for ps4 ported from ps3 version and had a few issues transferring it... but with a little searching, i was able to figure it out, i tried to explain t to madlob, but i think i failed in the explanation.... i got bf3 on release, then gave it up for a year or so while in USMC training, when i got back into it.... bf3 and the premium were both free on the ps store.... i do not regret it buying it for the ps4, but that is still to be determined.... if they ever fun all the problems, which i assume they will, i feel the maps this time around and the levelution integrated should make it worth while... plus the double xp events and the extra gold battle packs, which aren't stellar at the moment, but could get better....bf4 the the primary game i play, i may dabble in resign, battlefront when it releases, watchdogs, and second son, but I'm Battlefield through and through, so for me its totally worth it, ea just needs to sure up the server crashes and bugs, but as of now, even with the problems, i still really enjoy the game.... we all took the gamble by buying launch ps4's or xbox ones, which i may be purchasing for the kids in the future...

long rant, run on sentences, poor grammar,... sorry

emanning

Retro
12-04-2013, 07:40 PM
long rant, run on sentences, poor grammar,... sorry

emanning

Well ...you fit right in!

emanning27
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM
is that gfchip in your truck really worth it? i just bought a 2011 ford f150 extended cad, v8, and def looking to add mpg savings

emanning27
12-04-2013, 07:55 PM

is that gfchip in your truck really worth it? i just bought a 2011 ford f150 extended cad, v8, and def looking to add mpg savings

Madlob75
12-05-2013, 06:26 AM
i tried to explain t to madlob, but i think i failed in the explanation.

No, I got it. I'm all good.....just didn't realize I had to DL it again for the PS4.

Sckrapps
12-09-2013, 02:39 AM
So, probably a dumb question here, but how do you actually get Premium? I bought it on Battlelog on my computer for the XB1 and.... nothing happened. I figured the next time I logged into the XB1 a DL would begin or something, but nothing happened.

I went hunting for an option to DL it on the XB1 but I can't find anything. What am I missing (besides my fifty bucks)?

Retro
12-09-2013, 03:13 AM
So, probably a dumb question here, but how do you actually get Premium? I bought it on Battlelog on my computer for the XB1 and.... nothing happened. I figured the next time I logged into the XB1 a DL would begin or something, but nothing happened.

I went hunting for an option to DL it on the XB1 but I can't find anything. What am I missing (besides my fifty bucks)?

When you bought it from Battlelog, did it link you to Xbox.com to do the actual transaction?

Sckrapps
12-09-2013, 03:19 AM
When you bought it from Battlelog, did it link you to Xbox.com to do the actual transaction?

Yep, it did. I think I've got part of it figured out - I did have to DL it, but the way to do it was really convoluted.

I went to "add ons" and clicked it. Then selected BF4, and hit the new menu button. It then showed Premium waiting to DL. I DL'd it, so that part is at least working.

What doesn't seem to be working is Premium itself - can't play China Rising, Capture the Flag, or see any unlocked Premium stuff.

Sckrapps
12-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks, Retro, for checking. It was partially that I'm dumb and haven't figured out the XBO, and partially that Dice seems to be having some problems with DLC right now since apparently its all hands on deck to get the d**n game fixed, as well it should be.

If anyone has any problems with Premium or DLing add-ons for the XBO let me know!

Madlob75
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Everyone line up!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/refunds-available-for-battlefield-4-premium-after-server-woes/1100-6416663/

Toxic Avenger72
12-12-2013, 02:22 PM
If anyone has any problems with Premium or DLing add-ons for the XBO let me know!

No problems with premium or DLing the add-ons for XB1. Getting into servers with the DLC is another issue.

Retro
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
No problems with premium or DLing the add-ons for XB1. Getting into servers with the DLC is another issue.

Are you using Battlelog on PC to get into servers? I've had better luck doing that than in game, though I don't know how it would affect DLC.

Toxic Avenger72
12-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Are you using Battlelog on PC to get into servers? I've had better luck doing that than in game, though I don't know how it would affect DLC.

No, I'll try it.

Sckrapps
12-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes, I haven't seen any of the 2nd Assault or China Rising maps either. Of course, it would just be nice to be able to play the type of game I want, instead of selecting "Conquest" and ending up in TDM. Small steps, I guess.

Toxic Avenger72
12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes, I haven't seen any of the 2nd Assault or China Rising maps either. Of course, it would just be nice to be able to play the type of game I want, instead of selecting "Conquest" and ending up in TDM. Small steps, I guess.

The maps for second assault are nice. I actually got in some conquest matches last night. The most improved map from BF3 is Metro. So far, it's my favorite (I hated that map in BF3). I've not latex on Gulf of Oman yet because I rage quit during the match. Bunch of snipers laying back on the ship and not taking flags.

Retro
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Don't use Quick Match. Use the Battlelog server browser.

Sckrapps
12-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Bunch of snipers laying back on the ship and not taking flags.

Good to hear about 2A - its nice to have some good news on BF4 for once!

Regarding the snipers, have you unlocked mortars yet? Or were you on HC and not exactly sure where they were? The one HC game I've stumbled into was a wookie-fest, but it does make capping flags that much easier. Taking MCOMS, not so much.

Major Stains
03-06-2014, 12:13 PM
In response to the title, I sure hope it is worth it. As I caved today and went for it.
(Thanks for the tip Charlie, it was cheaper at cdkeys.com)

Was it immoral that I harvested my children's organs whilst they slept, so I could pay for this? Probably! :evil:

See you out there amigos

TonkaToys
03-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Excellent! See you once you've downloaded all the extra maps.

My commission on that cdkeys.com website is going through the roof! (if only this was true)

Sckrapps
03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Stains: glad you picked it up. I think its all relative to how much time you put into BF4, as Retro said earlier. For me, its the only game I play, its lone wolf-able, and its just dang fun as well as being a good shooter, so doubling down on BF4 was a good investment for me. I hope it is for you as well! The 2A maps are great, and I like the "flavor" of some of the China Rising maps. Definitely don't get caught in CR on foot if you can help it, however.

Major Stains
03-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I've had the CR maps for a while, since I got them free as a preorder bonus.
Really looking forward to the 2A maps and glad I can join the MPeeps on the upcoming maps too!

Plus I got a ton of dog tags to polish now...

Snowblind
03-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Battlefield is my primary online game so premium was worth it for me. Looking forward to joining you on the new maps Stains!

Major Stains
03-06-2014, 06:53 PM
I'm liking the maps a lot. Metro is just nuts, the rest are easy to read and visually superb.

I think it will certainly pay for itself, if I apply my golden comparison rule eg x4 trips to the cinema or x10 DVD rentals.
Then entertainment wise, this will have paid for itself in a few weeks let alone the coming months.

It would have been shortsighted of me to just experience half the game, considering I had been looking forward to owning Battlefield for a fair while. It's just hard to get my head around a 90 computer game.

See you on the Battlefield.

cronam
07-04-2014, 06:32 AM
I have a couple of friends on the x1 who got premium. They got annoyed with all the problems with bf4 so they phoned Microsoft and complained and they had their money refunded.

Toxic Avenger72
07-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Nope, premium is worthless. The game became so unplayable (lag, dropped games, etc) with the latest DLC release I just lost interest and not been back since. Hopefully, the next DLC release will be better.

Reidmiester
08-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Hmm many mixed reviews here, I was thinking of getting this as now I'm back on the addiction!

SouthtownSlayer
08-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Hmm many mixed reviews here, I was thinking of getting this as now I'm back on the addiction!

I can't speak for the X1 but things have gotten much better with the PS4 side of the house with updates and the new DLC. Though I haven't played like I used to but when I log on I don't seem to have any "major" issues. I am happy that I purchased Premium and with the recent 20% discount on Premium (not sure if this is X1 as well) I would get it. On the other side though, if you would've asked me if I was happy I purchased Premium at release, my answer would've probably been no based off the horrible release of the game and all the issues it had (way to many to list). The game has gotten much better and a lot of the major bugs have been fixed but know (before someone starts ranting) THERE ARE STILL some bugs that haven't been fixed so I would recommend going to the BF4 Control Room (http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/) to see what the current issues with your choice of console are.

And before I forget....WELCOME BACK!!!

Retro
08-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Is Premium worth it? When a game is first released and you have no idea what future content you are paying for, no. You're giving your money away based solely on trust.

However, now that 90% of the content is available and you can judge for yourself it's value? I'd say it's worth it.

Gink
08-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Is Premium worth it? When a game is first released and you have no idea what future content you are paying for, no. You're giving your money away based solely on trust.

However, now that 90% of the content is available and you can judge for yourself it's value? I'd say it's worth it.

Is it worth it for any reason besides the DLC? I know with BF3 buying it you were basically getting 5 DLC for the price of 4 or something, but only a few of the DLC got played for more than a week and in the end everyone was back playing Vanilla all the time...

I'll probably just wait and see what everyone is playing once I move up to next gen and decide if I just want to buy any of the DLC that folks are actually playing, or fork out for the whole premium experience this late in the game.

johnnyh1976
08-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I added premium through a sale on xblive. Was only going to get a couple of the expansions but at $33, I had to get it and am loving the maps especially Naval Strike. Some of the other things in the way of customization are OK as well but I mainly got it for the maps.......and some of the battlepacks have xp boosts in them up to 200%.....so this weekend with double xp and the 200% xp boosts......i went from level 20 to 40. Not too shabby.

Retro
08-10-2014, 08:51 PM
and some of the battlepacks have xp boosts in them up to 200%.....so this weekend with double xp and the 200% xp boosts......i went from level 20 to 40. Not too shabby.

Those aren't tied to Premium though. I have 8 200% boosts right now and don't have premium.

Is it worth it for any reason besides the DLC? I know with BF3 buying it you were basically getting 5 DLC for the price of 4 or something, but only a few of the DLC got played for more than a week and in the end everyone was back playing Vanilla all the time...

Only real value I see is the DLC. Unlike BF3 I think the map packs have been pretty solid so far with China Rising being the only weak one (I don't really mind those maps, in fact they are actually really good for Rush).

Gink
08-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Only real value I see is the DLC. Unlike BF3 I think the map packs have been pretty solid so far with China Rising being the only weak one (I don't really mind those maps, in fact they are actually really good for Rush).

I've never seen Premium go on sale on the PS side, would definitely snap it up at $33 just for the maps.
Conquest on most China Rising maps is brutal with only 24 players, but you're right, great for rush.
Haven't played Second Assault, but Caspian and Firestorm were two of my least favorite BF3 maps. Would have been way more excited to see some BC2 maps revamped. So I could live without that DLC unless folks are playing those maps a lot. Nice to hear that the DLC is more worthwhile overall this time around though.

Retro
08-11-2014, 09:25 AM
I've never seen Premium go on sale on the PS side, would definitely snap it up at $33 just for the maps.
Conquest on most China Rising maps is brutal with only 24 players, but you're right, great for rush.
Haven't played Second Assault, but Caspian and Firestorm were two of my least favorite BF3 maps. Would have been way more excited to see some BC2 maps revamped. So I could live without that DLC unless folks are playing those maps a lot. Nice to hear that the DLC is more worthwhile overall this time around though.

Firestorm is way better in BF4 than BF3. Caspian is hands down my favorite map. The problem both those maps had in BF3 on consoles was the size of the maps and only having 24 players. With 64 players, more flags for conquest and all the improvements and extra's they have added, the maps are stellar.

SouthtownSlayer
08-11-2014, 12:17 PM

I think it's 20% off at the moment in the PS Store!

Gink
08-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I think it's 20% off at the moment in the PS Store!

Right you are! $31.99. I didn't realize it was regularly $39.99, thought it was $49.99 like BF3 premium. Sweet!
Now I have to go open a few dozen Battlepacks and completely reconfigure my loadouts.

Firestorm is way better in BF4 than BF3. Caspian is hands down my favorite map. The problem both those maps had in BF3 on consoles was the size of the maps and only having 24 players. With 64 players, more flags for conquest and all the improvements and extra's they have added, the maps are stellar.

Good point, that's exactly the problem with them on last gen. Though that's my problem with most of China Rising on PS3 too, but I guess even with 64 players folks don't like those maps much.