PDA

View Full Version : Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Borlaxx
04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
I will probably be the only one, but I got this game for the family yesterday. I only got to play the first three levels so don't have enough experience to give a review yet, but I will come back and post one if anyone is interested.

My initial impressions are good. The game has good controls, great level designs, and looks absolutely beautiful. The different moves each of the characters have adds some variety as well, with some collectibles only being reachable by certain characters.

The only thing I can see being a negative for people with young children is that, based on the first three levels, this will NOT be an easy game. I had heard it is basically a platformer for platformer pros, and I can see that being true. Thankfully you can play two players at the same time, so I can help carry my kids through a level. Just don't expect this to be a game the young ones can play on their own and not get frustrated.

Major Stains
04-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I would love to hear a review good or bad.
Always great to hear a [MP]s thoughts on a game, I take their view over any game journalist any day. (More impartial than some suck-up journo wanting to blag freebies from the devs)

Retro
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
This bad boy has me considering a new Wii U. The original Donkey Kong Country is one of my all time favorite games. The more I see of this game, the more I want it.

Borlaxx
04-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I never played the one on the Wii, but the first on SNES was one of my all time favs too. I will be sure to report back after I've spent more time with it.

Borlaxx
06-19-2014, 01:17 PM
I forgot to come back and do an update on this game. Sorry.

I haven't finished it yet and I have only been playing it when my brother comes over. This is for two reasons. One, it is so much fun playing co-op. Two, this game is FREAKING HARD. Too hard for my kids, and too hard for me to do well if they are playing co-op with me. They like to go back and play the levels I unlock by beating them with my brother.

This is a platformer on hard mode. Every level my brother and I find ourselves saying "this is insane and the hardest level yet" before we say the exact same thing on the next level. But it isn't hard because the control sucks or it cheap design. It is hard because the levels are expertly crafted to give you a real challenge. This game makes even harder Mario levels look like a cake walk.

Graphically and sound-wise the game is top-notch. Once again it can't compete for realism against other system games, but it looks like a vivid cartoon come to life rather than a game that tries to look like a cartoon. There have been many "oh my God that looked FREAKING AMAZING" moments so far.

I'm not done with it yet, but my brother and I will finish it. The challenge of this game is fantastic, and every level finished feels like an accomplishment. We haven't even begun to try to find the paths to all the extra levels in each island.

Long story short, not a game to pick up just for your younger kids to play as they will get stuck, but if you like challenging platformers with inspired levels and a rewarding sense of challenge with fantastic production value, this is a great, great game.

Mutt
06-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Long story short, not a game to pick up just for your younger kids to play as they will get stuck, but if you like challenging platformers with inspired levels and a rewarding sense of challenge with fantastic production value, this is a great, great game.

Thanks for the input Borlaxx. I think I'm going to pass on this title. I found New Super Mario Bros U hard on the later stages and New Super Luigi U even harder. That type of difficulty reminds me of the games from the 80's and 90's and all the frustrations that come with it. I'm getting too old for these types of games lol.

HardlyCapable13
04-14-2015, 07:56 PM
I am loving this game. Played the hell out of the original DKC, and this one is an amazing continuation of the series.

Also, to reinstate what B said above, it's pretty damn difficult!