PDA

View Full Version : The Golf Club

HardlyCapable13
05-23-2014, 01:53 PM
on X1/PS4/PC
Don't think they licensed anything, so no real courses (could be wrong), but this game is absolutely gorgeous. It can randomly generate courses so there are infinite holes. Also has an in depth course creator. Looking forward to this.

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/01/20/welcome-to-the-golf-club/

Welcome to the website for The Golf Club, a Next Gen golf game developed by HB Studios for PlayStation 4, PC and Xbox One. The philosophy behind the game is to provide an accessible, high quality, social and customizable golf experience with minimal to zero loading times. The latter is a bane of console / PC sports games in general and, in particular, golf games. Sitting watching a loading bar for minutes as you wait for a game to load and half a minute between holes can be miserable. Rapid access is behind every design decision made on this game.

The idea behind the website is to provide a hub online that can support the game. Here you will find everything from screenshots to tutorial videos to wallpaper to players and courses of the week to, what will hopefully become, a vibrant forum for all Ďmembersí of The Golf Club.

The game is due to launch in the spring but that wonít be the end of the development on our side. We will continue to support the game through updates, feature additions, HB designed courses, new objects for the course creator and, of course, listening to the golfers within The Golf Club by making tweaks, changes and additions that the community is seeking. The development team members are a committed bunch who love the game they are making. They want to engage with the community and listen to what people like and donít like about the game. You will find all of us on the forum at different times.

In the coming weeks we will be commencing a closed beta phase followed by an open beta stage. More information about how to get involved will be posted through the forum, the website, Twitter and Facebook so if you monitor one or more you will be sure to hear about it.

All the best.

The Golf Club development team.

Major Stains
05-23-2014, 02:00 PM
I am really looking forward to this...

Retro
05-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Interesting. I might be down for this.

HardlyCapable13
05-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Interesting. I might be down for this.

It's a tiny company. I hope they do well. I hope there is true multiplayer (my only bitch about Powerstar Golf).

Spike Forehand
05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
My only problem with mulitiplayer golf games is how ridiculously slow it is. I remember playing 9 holes in GTA5 with a couple of MP's, and it was getting kinda old by the end of it, when all the debauchery within GTA5 was calling us - lol.

OTOH, I remember playing the crap out of Links golf on the PC back in the 90's, and I really liked the feature where you could save a game and e-mail it to someone else. That gives you the chance to play it on your own time but still be playing against a friend.

Madlob75
05-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Man, Links golf...that was a lot of fun. I used to put a pencil next to my mouse to keep my swing straight. Haven't really played a golf game since Tiger Woods on PS2. Maybe I need to check this out.

HardlyCapable13
05-23-2014, 07:53 PM
FWIW, I believe this game will only be available via digital.

Major Stains
06-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Some more screenshots to wet your appetite.
Currently working on the console submission process and coming this summer according to their team.

http://i58.tinypic.com/20ru6n6.jpg

Retro
06-05-2014, 03:32 PM
No gameplay video yet?

Retro
06-06-2014, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAq8kugMT20

Major Stains
06-06-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAq8kugMT20

You beat me too it!

PlayStation Blog (click below)

The Golf Club comes to PS4 this Summer (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/06/the-golf-club-comes-to-ps4-this-summer/)

Spike Forehand
06-07-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm in. Looks good.

Retro
06-16-2014, 05:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJl5qPVI5Jc

Major Stains
06-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Ooh. I just love links courses, and this is looking pretty special.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2w70b9s.jpg

http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/06/27/links-theme/

They are still giving a release date of 'this summer'...which means it's delayed here, because our summer feels like its buggered off already!

Major Stains
07-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Dev Diary - The Home Straight (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/07/04/dev-diary-home-straight/)

(Click above for article)

So the good news from that is that we’re just about done. We’ve got a couple more days of work before we’re in a place to submit and once we’ve done that, and we get an idea of what Microsoft and Sony’s QA teams are having issues with, then we’ll be able to announce an exact release date. At the same time we will be refocusing on PC for further optimisation and compatibility work. Generally, it takes two submissions to get through the First Party approval process and then there is a waiting period before the game can appear in their stores.

I know there’s some concern that, because we haven’t announced a release date, we must be months away from release but that isn’t the case. We just don’t want to announce a date and miss it. There are many moving parts in the finalling process and, unlike big publishers, we aren’t able to control some of those parts from a long way out. Now that submission to First Party is upon us we will be able to announce a precise date.

I hope that gives you a good insight to where we’re at and quashed any fears you had that you won’t be seeing The Golf Club on consoles soon. Anyway I have to get back to work ……

HardlyCapable13
07-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Looking forward to this, as well as the new PGA Tour game. Love that they are also including wacky courses.

Major Stains
07-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Dev Diary - Console Submissions (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2014/07/11/dev-diary-consoles-submissions/)

(click above for article)

I’m happy to announce that we now have both the PS4 and Xbox versions of The Golf Club submitted to Sony and Microsoft respectively!

We’ve now got a week or so to wait until we hear back from them with regards to whether or not we are ready to hit the store. It’s highly likely that we’ll get a report back with a few minor things that will need changing before we submit again, as this happens 90% of the time especially when working on a new generation of consoles.

While we’re waiting we’re going to focus on PC. Improving Keyboard and mouse controls being one of the big things to look at as well as continued optimisation.

The next couple of weeks are going to be pretty exciting and there are some big announcements on the horizon. One of which being the actual release date! Now that we’ve submitted we’re only a matter a weeks away– it’s just that defining the exact date is still a little hard until we receive final approval.

Now that we can take our foot off the pedal a little, we’re going to hit the real life golf course today for some well deserved relaxation and some cold beverages.

I’ll be tweeting from the course, @anthonykyne if you’re interested, and John will apparently be commentating all the way round with his foursome. So if we get some decent recordings we might upload that next week :-).

Have a great weekend.

Retro
07-16-2014, 12:09 PM
While EA is slowly making it's return to golf with PGA Tour 15, another Canadian studio is trying to make an impression with The Golf Club, coming this summer to Xbox One, PS4 and PC. It's already out through early access on Steam, but I got a chance to try out the Xbox One version of the game at E3 2014 back in June.

The gameplay pitch for this Unity-powered golf simulation is that it's an actual simulation, with a proper learning curve and a reduced number of assists from what you'd usually find in the Tiger Woods games. This means that there are no landing indicators on shots and that the player has to line up an approach with some level of foreknowledge. The Golf Club uses analog swinging, and there is even more room for error than in the Tiger Woods games. This doesn't mean that it's unfair, but each shot will have to be executed carefully to avoid shanking. Your swing is represented by a graphic on the side, and this helps provide useful feedback should things go awry. There is also a grid-like interface for adding spin, draw or fade on the ball.

When playing the game, I actually had to judge shots based on all of the factors, including wind, elevation, distance and club selection. As I played, I got more familiar with each club's approximate range and feel. While most golf games do require this type of mental investment, too often a player can be bailed out by assists, after-touch, power-ups or a difficulty level that isn't too punishing. I found that fine-tuning the roll on an approach shot became a fun challenge, as estimating distance and spin actually required a fair bit of planning and thought.

Even though the iron play can provide great challenge, the putting was by far the most difficult aspect of the game, but in a good way. It uses the familiar grid system of most other golf games, but there are no putt previews or approximations to help you out. In fact, even the putt strength is something that took some time in order to gauge, as I had to be mindful of incline and distance on each putt. Like any golf simulation, I ended developing a strong sense of what I needed to do to putt successfully, but each putt remained a process that needed proper consideration, which is certainly the effect the devs at HB Studios must be going for.

All of the action is presented in a clean way, with a simple UI that tells you all that you need to know. The concise nature of the game is furthered by nearly instantaneous loading times between holes, which allows the action to keep moving. It's almost the opposite of conventional golf games in a way, where holes would require a loading time but then you could just blast through using assists and such. Here, the game is ready to go right away, but the shots are what take up the bulk of the time.

Even the commentary takes on more of a caddie quality, with simple quips and observations about how you're doing. The developers said there is even some thought of updating the commentary after the game is out. The Golf Club also supports leaderboards and ghosts, so you can asynchronously play against friends and rivals or try and knock off some community records. On top of this, live multiplayer is also supported.

Of course, the biggest selling point for The Golf Club is the extensive course creator that's on offer. A big reason that this is a focus is because the game doesn't have any licensed golfers or courses to use, so creating approximations of real people and places is going to be a big deal. I've seen my share of creation features and customization before, but what the folks at HB Studios have done for this game seems really intriguing.

Initially, a course can just be set up in the most basic sense — terrain, number of holes, time of day, etc. From there, you can immediately jump right in and play. But if you want to go further, you can craft the individual slopes and hills of each course. Placing the clubhouse, connecting the holes, adding course features, populating wildlife and setting all sorts of finite details are at your fingertips. Even cooler, you can jump right to an exact spot on a hole and test it right away (no loading), which absolutely sells the feature for me. When I'm not forced to wait when I want to try out a new wrinkle on a work-in-progress course, it encourages me to dig further and try more things. It sounds as the community has already made replicas of stuff like Augusta National (The Masters), so clearly HB Studios isn't worried about copyright issues. All of this creation stuff worked surprisingly well on the controller, and the devs said that the game was imagined with a controller in mind from the very beginning.

With an extensive creation suite, simulation gameplay and deep multiplayer hooks, The Golf Club looks to provide just about everything someone could want in a customizable golf experience. The price point for this hasn't been nailed down yet, but it could be around $30. If all of these features come together in one cohesive package, that value proposition would seem more than fair.

Source (http://www.operationsports.com/features/1912/the-golf-club-hands-on/)

Retro
07-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Well this is a cool little feature.

When you create and publish a course it will immediately be available to all members of The Golf Club regardless of the system you’re playing on. There are no special steps either as the person creating the course or downloading courses. They will simply appear in the list in the exact same way as any other course!

The only difference is that names of the creators of courses not native to your current platform will be displayed as “TGC Member” – this is to conform to a number of privacy and parental control regulations on the various platforms.

The other consequence of this is that currently each platform will still be logging their own set of scorecards and can only play live against people from their own platform. In the future we will be investigating ways that we can facilitate cross-platform leaderboards or selected ghost data in a way that makes sense without revealing off-platform user identities – but it’s something that needs to be carefully considered so that it’s actually a good experience. This also means that Tours+Tournaments are restricted to those within your own platform.

Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/news/752182/the-golf-club-features-cross-platform-sharing/)

Retro
07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Creating Surfaces in the Greg Norman course designer tutorial part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BfMPmd5tfE

Major Stains
08-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Hinting at release date (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=4074.0)

(Click above for details)

Hi everyone,

While we don't have an official release date yet, we have narrowed it down to a likely two week period.

It is looking like The Golf Club will be released and Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC the week of August 25th! There is a small possibility that the game will be released the week of August 18th, if Microsoft and Sony are able to push it through but, the more likely scenario is the week of the 25th.

Please understand that this is all predicated on the notion that the second submission goes smoothly, but we are confident that the game is in good shape. That being said, there is a possibility that things could change...though we all hope not!

As soon as we have anything more definitive, we will absolutely let you know.

HardlyCapable13
08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Hinting at release date (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=4074.0)

(Click above for details)

So, to sum it up, "we hope it comes out this date but it may be this date but could possibly be neither but we hope it's the date we said first or second but it may change so we'll let you know which date it is or if it's a new date when we know."

Retro
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
So, to sum it up, "we hope it comes out this date but it may be this date but could possibly be neither but we hope it's the date we said first or second but it may change so we'll let you know which date it is or if it's a new date when we know."

They could have just said, "We still have no damn clue".

Major Stains
08-12-2014, 02:48 PM
XBox get the game before PS4 by the looks of things...

Well, my friends, at long last the time has come….

We are proud to announce that The Golf Club will officially release on the Xbox One and PC on August 19th, 2014 for $34.99!

The PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club will launch later this month, pending certification approval.

See the full details below:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

“THE GOLF CLUB”, TEES OFF NEXT GEN GOLFING THIS AUGUST
HB Studios Announces Full Retail Release Date For Golf Simulator

(Nova Scotia, CAN) Aug 12, 2014 -- Canadian video game developer, HB Studios, today announced that its golf simulation, The Golf Club will launch on Xbox One through Xbox Live on August 19, 2014. The Golf Club will also leave early access for a full retail release on Windows PC through digital download distribution service Steam the same day. The PlayStation 4 version of The Golf Club will launch later this month pending certification approval. Credited with making some of the most critically acclaimed sport franchises on the EA SPORTS label, HB Studios has developed the first golf title to bring procedurally generated courses to next gen console. The Golf Club is a highly realistic game that allows players to fully customize their golfing experience by creating and playing the course of their dreams with the built-in Greg Norman Course Designer.

“We are incredibly excited to give golf fans the game they’ve always wanted,” said Anthony Kyne, Producer at HB Studios. “No other golf game provides players with this level of customization and sophistication in course design on PC and next generation consoles. We’ve worked extremely hard to get The Golf Club ready for launch, so it’s really rewarding to officially announce the launch date and share that with our fans.”

The Golf Club is a fully featured golfing experience where users can play against friends’ and rivals’ best rounds in turn-based/asynchronous competition modes enhanced by cloud-based technology. The game supports Tours & Tournaments, stroke play, match play, and 4-ball.

The Golf Club’s Greg Norman Course Designer allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses, which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme, terrain features, and number of holes. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new members of The Golf Club through the Message Center.

The game is due for worldwide release on Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One and PC Windows platforms priced $34.99.

The Golf Club comes complete with three modes: stroke play, match play and 4-ball, no loading times between holes, and the course designer feature.

For more information on HB studios and a full feature list for The Golf Club at final release, please visit www.thegolfclubgame.com (http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=4356.0).
Follow The Golf Club on twitter @thegolfclubgame.

About HB Studios
Founded in 2000 and headquartered in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada, HB Studios is an electronic entertainment software company that specializes in creating console, mobile, handheld and PC games. To date, HB has shipped 43 titles, selling over 23 million units, and contributed to 20 others.
More information about HB Studios and its products can be found on the company’s website, www.hb-studios.com.

(Click quote for source)

HardlyCapable13
08-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Now available on xBone.

HardlyCapable13
08-19-2014, 04:29 PM
Ok, first round of 18 in the books (scored +10). A few thoughts...

Keep in mind this is a tiny studio and their first game.

This is a sim. Other than wind and distance to hole there are no assists. It's pretty refreshing, but has a steep learning curve.

The graphics and animations are mediocre. The "announcer" is a joke. I think he drew the short straw and was forced to do it.

It's a non-licensed game and there are no official real courses. There are, however, real to life courses the team has made. I played on a course I've played in real life, and it was pretty true. Courses can be randomly generated giving you an infinite amount of holes to play on. An in depth course designer is included, and created courses can be shared between X1, PS4, and PC. Diving into that after this write up.

There is zero loading time between holes. None. And minimal loading at the start of a round.

Current modes are stroke, match, and 4 ball.

The round I played was solo. There was 3 other ghosts (rivals) I played against though, which kept it interesting (just showed their ball and shots while I was playing). You can select who your rivals are and how many you play against (up to 3), or have none. Each round you play is saved and can act as ghosts for others. YouThere is also 4 player couch co-op, and I believe online play as well.

Bare bones customization of your golfer. A few different people to choose from and a few color combos of clothes.

Over all I like it. Could see it priced more at $25, but so far so good.

HardlyCapable13
08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Course designer seems crazy. Lots of options and objects to make some craziness. Currently, however, after placing an object or reshaping the terrain you have to wait about a minute for it to take effect and be able to continue. Not cool, and really time consuming. Looked into it and the debs tweeted it shouldn't be that way. They're looking into it.

HardlyCapable13
08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
This is how it's done.

Note, the person speaking isn't me. It's the in game announcer. Yes, it's really that bad. :shocked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZztRtk28m5I

Retro
08-19-2014, 06:23 PM
This is how it's done.

Note, the person speaking isn't me. It's the in game announcer. Yes, it's really that bad. :shocked:

http://youtu.be/ZztRtk28m5I

Please tell me there is an option to turn the commentary off completely.

HardlyCapable13
08-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Please tell me there is an option to turn the commentary off completely.

:lol: it gets worse.

But yes, there is. I've just shut that asshat down. If you pick the game up give him a couple rounds, it's pretty funny.

Retro
08-19-2014, 06:30 PM
:lol: it gets worse.

But yes, there is. I've just shut that asshat down. If you pick the game up give him a couple rounds, it's pretty funny.

I'll wait a few months on this, I'm done being a beta tester who pays rather then gets paid.

HardlyCapable13
08-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Ok Mr. Stains. My first course is published. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Major Stains
11-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Ok Mr. Stains. My first course is published. Looking forward to your thoughts.

I just saw there is 60% off on PS Store. Is this worth a shot HC.
Can I see your course if I get the PS version and you have it on X1?

Is anyone else going to get this on PS4?

HardlyCapable13
11-17-2014, 04:15 PM
I just saw there is 60% off on PS Store. Is this worth a shot HC.
Can I see your course if I get the PS version and you have it on X1?

Is anyone else going to get this on PS4?

60% off isn't bad. I just don't know about recommending it. I'd probably wait for the upcoming EA golf game.

Major Stains
11-17-2014, 04:21 PM
May take your advice, although that would involve EA servers! :boom:

Shame I will never get to play your course though...

HardlyCapable13
11-17-2014, 04:47 PM
May take your advice, although that would involve EA servers! :boom:

Shame I will never get to play your course though...

I'm thinking it will be a freebie one day.

Retro
05-05-2015, 03:02 PM
In case you missed it last week.

The Golf Club Collectors Edition is now available (http://thegolfclubgame.com/2015/04/28/golf-club-collectors-edition-2/)on Steam for PC owners (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/63682/) as well as on disk for PC, Xbox One, and Playstation 4.

The Collectors Edition is also available as an upgrade for current owners of The Golf Club's digital edition on PC now, and will be included on consoles later for current digital owners. The biggest included features in the Collector's Edition over the current Golf Club game are:

A new season mode featuring five complete tour levels.
A new tropical theme to add to the eight existing themes.

For current digital customers, the Collectors Edition upgrade runs $9.99 (http://store.steampowered.com/app/353820/). If you'd like to buy the Collector's Edition on disk, the total cost will be $39.99.

Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/news/841016/the-golf-club-collectors-edition-arrives-on-pc-consoles/)