PDA

View Full Version : Got me a electric guitar!

FeelinKorny
06-29-2014, 08:52 PM
So yesterday, without planning on doing so I got an electric guitar. I use to play in what was possibly the worst garage band back in high-school (about 7 or 8 years ago). I was not very good at playing the guitar. I don't know chords, and the only song I can play without screwing up is happy birthday. I can play the Star Spangled Banner well enough to sound cool to my friends, as well as various other random parts of songs. Like Smoke on the Water intro, Come as you are intro, Mary had a little lamb ect.

I do however has a serious interest in actually learning to play. As the place I go to on Sundays (I want to avoid this subject) are always subbing out guitar players for people who want to play. My goal is to become well enough to play a song or 2 some day. That would be something off my bucket list. Maybe even one day record something if it all goes well. But that's ways off.

So the purpose of this thread is, do you know of any FREE sites I can visit to learn? Or any tips or suggestions as to some beginner type songs I could look into? All I have is a Ibanez electric guitar and a 10 watt Marshal amp. Im still looking into pedals as well. Im open to suggestions to that as well.

Do any of you play? Or use to play?

HardlyCapable13
06-29-2014, 09:42 PM
My best suggestion is learn your chords and learn your scales (I used books). Most beginner guitarists just want to learn songs, but actually KNOWING how to play your instrument first is monumental. Don't get sucked into needing to play a song ASAP and become a "tab only" guitarist.

I know it's too late, but my only other suggestion would be to learn on an acoustic.

LandShark
06-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Guitarsmith looks cool, not sure if it helps.

Retro
06-29-2014, 10:22 PM
It's not free (or cheap), but getting lessons is just the best way.

On the free side I would say just experiment by trying to play along to different songs, basically train your ear.

As for pedals, don't bother unless you're ready to actually get on stage. Grab a Fender Mustang I, they're pretty cheap and come pre-loaded with effects and software you can put on your PC to download an endless number of effects. It's a solid little amp for learning on or just noodling.

FeelinKorny
06-30-2014, 06:20 AM
It's not free (or cheap), but getting lessons is just the best way.

On the free side I would say just experiment by trying to play along to different songs, basically train your ear.

As for pedals, don't bother unless you're ready to actually get on stage. Grab a Fender Mustang I, they're pretty cheap and come pre-loaded with effects and software you can put on your PC to download an endless number of effects. It's a solid little amp for learning on or just noodling.

I actually have a couple close friends and a father in law who have a lot of experience with playing. Either in a band themselves (and actually play for a living) or have recently had lessons. So I might be able to pull some strings (haha) and get them to teach me a thing or two.

mechatool
06-30-2014, 01:46 PM
You should go to https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

Marty has a ton of free lessons and is the #1 guitar teacher on youtube. He gives clear instructions.

FeelinKorny
06-30-2014, 04:55 PM
You should go to https://www.youtube.com/user/martyzsongs

Marty has a ton of free lessons and is the #1 guitar teacher on youtube. He gives clear instructions.

Cool thanks! I also found a free app on my phone that has chords. I wrote down more then a few of them and Ill just start learning those. As well as pick up whatever else I can learn. My fingers hurt like a bitch though.

johnnyh1976
06-30-2014, 09:29 PM
Lot of good tips on here already. I've been playing 20+ years on and off and am still learning. All I can really say is learn your instrument, chords, notes, etc....and find your own identity. I have issues with dexterity so I can't really blaze up a storm so when I play leads they are more percussive and more rhythmic.

The Fender Mustang amp that was mentioned is also a great and affordable way to go and is jam packed with features and effects I will eventually get one for practicing with headphones on while everyone else is sleeping.

Pedals can be fun when used properly and can help you get some great sounds and tones if you cannot have a top of the line amp. I use 2 overdrives, a distortion...and a Big Muff along with a chorus and phase shifter and a delay.....If you do get into pedals....the MXR line are great and won't kill your wallet. Electro Harmonix as well. I played a bar gig open mic with the band we had going and I ran into an old friend that was floored by the tone I got out of an old solid state Peavey Express amp.

But mainly, learn how you want to learn and what you want to learn. Play how you want to play, not how someone teaching a magazine column or youtube video feel that's how you should play....take techniques and make them work for you. Most of all, enjoy the shit out of it. It is one of my favorite hobbies and is also a great release.