PDA

View Full Version : PSN Accounts/ Sub Accounts

Major Stains
09-06-2014, 02:45 AM
I thought things like this should be fairly simple.
Having set up Nintendo accounts for my boys, it was simple with basic parental controls. They have a NNID for life.

With Sony, not so.
With my Master account, I'm told to start a sub account which is fair enough.
Having failed to get the verification email to work (Sony issue), I started looking into the details.
When my children become 18 and want to open up there PS to extend the services, they cannot extend their sub account. So lose years of trophies etc. And lose there PSN ID.

So what do I'd do?
Try to start a sub account and accept its for a few years?
Or start a main account and lie about their age, making him years older than he is for the rest of his time on the PSN?

What do you guys do?

Airease
09-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Kind of did the same thing for my step daughter on Xbox Live for her and my step sons Xbox. Who at the time she was 11.

Everything she wanted to do, even adding friends required for me to enter my email and password. Got frustrated with that and created a main account for her. We very closely monitor what they do on their Xbox and Xbox Live account. And they know not to make any purchases without our consent. If they do they lose their Xbox.

SouthtownSlayer
09-06-2014, 08:46 AM
My oldest boy (16) is old enough to drink in the eyes of Sony!!!

I keep a watchful eye on what he does, but pretty much Angela (Mrs. Southtown) and I have always been pretty open with our kids on mature content so it's really not a biggie in my household now that they are near 18.

Major Stains
09-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I was thinking of going down the main account route, but as he is 10, if he has this PSN ID for a long time,his age will be out 8 years.
I guess he can't buy anything if there is no way for him to add funds to his store account. It's just the restriction of interaction I'd need to keep an eye on.

Seems as shame to lose 8 years of trophies if he did have a sub account,
But then he may not care for gaming and may not want a Gamertag called 'iLuvMinions' then either! Lol

My 5 y/o is happy tagging on to Nintendo games at the moment, so it's just my eldest that is entering this online world now that Minecraft has hit PS4.

Gink
09-06-2014, 01:22 PM
I can't believe they still haven't made it possible to split a sub-account off at 18, pretty ridiculous. I think we just made profiles for each kid on the PS3 when we got it. I'm sure the step-teens probably made their own PSN accounts at some point, who knows what they said their age was. Without a credit card attached to it, I don't really worry about it. My 8 year old can play whatever games she wants locally, and so far hasn't needed a PSN account for anything.

Major Stains
09-06-2014, 07:21 PM
Finally got the account to take, the problem was the verification email URL link was broken.

Another lame feature is the parental settings, if I drop all the apps down to level 3 (Minecraft, Sportsfriends etc) on the sub account, it applies that restriction across all accounts. Hmmm, 3 points for effort Sony.
This should be pretty basic stuff to work out!