PDA

View Full Version : Dismantiling gear for upgrades

sam007
09-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Break down green kit, for blue and purple upgrades.

Break down blue kit for purple upgrades.

You'll need lots of material for purple upgrades.

Happy grinding! :lol:

sam007
09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
Many Rare and all Legendary items have steep upgrade requirements; it’s not just about earning XP and having enough Glimmer on hand any more. Some of these items, such as Ascendent Shards, are very rare chest drops, and you’re better off doing challenging Strikes in order to gather them.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/15/destiny-guide-farming-legendary-engrams-upgrade-materials/

sam007
10-15-2014, 05:52 PM
My vault was getting full so I decided to dismantle some upgraded legendary weapons.

Turns out, you get extra materials.

sam007
10-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Here is what I noticed after dismantling 2 upgraded purple weapons, it does yield more ascendent material. Its gonna suck to take the time to level them up.

The upgraded weapons were only to 267, before the ascendent upgrades.

Gink
10-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Leveled up just with XP, or do we need to at least do the glimmer and material upgrades to get more ascendants out?

sam007
10-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Leveled up just with XP, or do we need to at least do the glimmer and material upgrades to get more ascendants out?

Just max the weapon out before ascendent materials. I equip the weapon before I hand in a bounty or use it to complete the bounty. Raiding is not when you want to level up your gear if you have weapons already at 300.

I've gotten telemetry consumables each time when I dismantled a weapon at 267 damage.

Gink
10-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Just max the weapon out before ascendent materials. I equip the weapon before I hand in a bounty or use it to complete the bounty. Raiding is not when you want to level up your gear if you have weapons already at 300.

I've gotten telemetry consumables each time when I dismantled a weapon at 267 damage.
Good to know. I did that with greens and blues for the longest time, until I had more weapon and armor parts than I can do anything with. Still swap weapons before turning things in since leg and exotic need so much XP, but will start levelling armor pieces again before I trash them.

Gink
10-22-2014, 09:31 AM
I forgot there was a 200 cap on marks. Don't think I wasted too many, think I'll start buying armor pieces to upgrade and dismantle for shards.

sam007
11-29-2014, 09:13 AM
After going through an upgrade bonanza after the raid, the amount of resources which was consumed was insane!

Ascendent material is not an issue if you raid a lot, do the daily or public event, its the glimmer and materials that's a problem if you don't have a large reserve. The time it takes to farm is what makes it not worth it anymore. (breaking down weapons that is, armour, no matter how leveled up, still only gives 2-3 shards)

Here's what I mean.

The time it takes to say farm enough material is about 20-30 minutes.

Using glimmer bonus consumables, lasts 10m , getting green items and engrams to break down for glimmer, helps as well, but in the end, still takes time and if you don't play much, time is a huge factor to consider.