PDA

View Full Version : Farming

sam007
09-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Engrams drop the same way as any other loot, but slightly less frequently, so to gather them you want to be picking up loot as often as possible. There are two ways to do this: you can kill absolute shitloads of enemies, or you can open chests.

Although I personally have found much better gear in Strikes, if you’re sick of all the reloading go on Patrol and park yourself somewhere enemies endlessly respawn to battle each other in large numbers, such as in The Divide on Earth; in the Ishtar Commons on Venus; or the Scablands on Mars.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/09/15/destiny-guide-farming-legendary-engrams-upgrade-materials/

REMEC87
09-15-2014, 10:35 AM
Isn't farming against teamMP rules... Just sayin :)

sam007
09-15-2014, 10:37 AM

ban! :lol:

HardlyCapable13
09-15-2014, 10:43 AM

Isn't LS a farmer. What the hell is he still doing here?

sam007
09-15-2014, 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdiV7gRRF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM6wQNNPsM&src_vid=zEdiV7gRRF8&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_2542602403

TonkaToys
09-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Not the way I read it (with my eyes closed facing the other way)...

* no hacking
* no glitching
* no boosting

Don't think farming is the same as any of these.

FeelinKorny
09-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Id have to say farming is required in order to gain better loot. Its not cheating, glitching or boosting.

sam007
09-16-2014, 07:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNC-VqAMKw

Major Stains
09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Hmmm... Chest Farming... :motorboat:

RC-1136
09-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Id have to say farming is required in order to gain better loot. Its not cheating, glitching or boosting.

I agree with this. +1

mechatool
09-16-2014, 03:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLNC-VqAMKw

Old MacMecha had a farm
E-I-E-I-O
And on his farm he had a engram
With a green one here
And a blue one there
Here a green, there a green
Everywhere a blue blue
Old MacMecha had a farm
E-I-E-I-O

This is a good one to run.

sam007
09-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Ok this is what I noticed so far. The more people farming an area, the less chances to get the respawned loot chest. Look in areas which are not line of sight to where you want to go to. Look high, look low, look behind stuff, and in cubicles/caves,"dark" rooms. Get to high ground and look around surrounding area.

Do you Patrol bounty as well and farm the area in which to complete the Patrol mission. Do you "kills" bounty as well. Get next Patrol mission, rinse and repeat. Complete Patrol Bounty, call it a day for farming. :lol:

I've gotten some pretty decent engrams from loot chests on the Moon, it does not appear to be a popular planet to farm, but an engram is an engram at the end of the day. :lol:

Oh, also, you may get the odd Public Event for some Ascendent Energy for Legendary weapon upgrades.

mechatool
09-18-2014, 09:49 AM
DESTINY NEW BEST LEGENDARY RUN! (Destiny Legendary Engram Loot Farming Run Guide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj_F8-Lfu-w

Madlob75
09-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Do this while you have one of those glimmer boosters on....make it rain!!

RC-1136
09-18-2014, 11:28 AM
DESTINY NEW BEST LEGENDARY RUN! (Destiny Legendary Engram Loot Farming Run Guide)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj_F8-Lfu-w

Shit. This seems really, really boring to do.

GB-James
09-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Ha, I just had the thought what life would be like if you were doing a task and found an engram.

Open a ceiling tile

"Oooh, a legendary engram!"

Real life would be so much more exciting!

Anyways enough of the stupid. If you think in any way that farming is cheating then you have never played an MMO or an RPG. One must farm materials, XP, money, and loot in any RPG. Farming in this game sucks only due to the fact that legendary engrams mostly turn out to be rare items. Also, glimmer caps at 25k.

mechatool
09-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Shit. This seems really, really boring to do.

I ran it twice yesterday for a total time of 1.5 hours. It was fun. Picked up somewhere between 8-12 blue engrams and a ton of green engrams, glimmer & black wax idol. The nice thing is its real quick and fun killing the hive running out. Easy way to do the bounty: 2 kills with one fusion rifle shot (20x), or kill 3 people with your powers.

RC-1136
09-18-2014, 01:15 PM
I ran it twice yesterday for a total time of 1.5 hours. It was fun. Picked up somewhere between 8-12 blue engrams and a ton of green engrams, glimmer & black wax idol. The nice thing is its real quick and fun killing the hive running out. Easy way to do the bounty: 2 kills with one fusion rifle shot (20x), or kill 3 people with your powers.

I'm going to work on it a little tonight. Let my kid do it for me.

sam007
09-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I was wondering how LevelCap was able to pick up all those blue engrams. This looks like mindless fun killing an angry swarming mob. :lol:

Gink
09-18-2014, 10:11 PM
It's actually pretty fun. More worthwhile if you have the multi-kill bounties to do at the same time. I only ran it for 30 deaths, so probably 30-45 minutes tops, cleared 2 boutines, a pile of green loot, a couple pieces of rare armor and my first legendary weapon.
I did the fusion rifle multikills, then started alternating between Machine gun, which would charge my super really fast, then golden gun for that multikill bounty. Since it only takes seconds to die, restart, and get mobbed again it's a pretty painless farm. I'm sure I could get tired of wiping out mobs of thralls eventually, but it'd take a while.

Gink
09-20-2014, 01:24 PM
Farming public events on earth for Vanguard Marks and ascendant items.

http://i.imgur.com/A7KCyyf.jpg

There are two spawns on earth that you can pretty much set your watch to, and thats the Mothyards (Warsat/enemy/crew) X:00 and X:30 and the Divide (walker) X:10-15 X:40-45.

There are four other spawns that are hit or miss, the Steppes (Warsat/enemy/crew) X:15-:25 and X:45-55 forgotten coast (Warsat/enemy/crew) X:35-40 and Skywatch (Warsat/enemy/crew) X:00-:05

X:00 Mothyards: I start my loop at the Mothyards a couple minutes before :00 sometimes this one comes a minute or two early or a minute or two late but it always shows up. if you kill this one early enough you can make it to the skywatch for the X:00-05 event if not then you can move on to the divide for the walker

X:10 Divide: You want to get to around X:10 or so if you can, the walker unusually doesn't show up until X:15 but sometimes hes early.

X:15-25 Steppes: Here you want to hang around the steppes, sometimes an event will show up sometimes it wont, its really hit or miss if no event shows up by X:27 head over to the mothyards.

X:30 Mothyards: As before this one is sometimes a a minute or two late/early but it always shows up. when are done with this you to need to head to the forgotten coast as quickly as you can.

X:36 Forgotten coast: this one usually spawns right at :X36 its been late once or twice but if its not out before X:39 its not coming and you need to hurry on to the divide either by orbiting and coming back or really fast on sparrow.

X:40-45 Divide: This is the walker again its pretty simple after you are done head to the Steppes like before as quickly as you can

X:45-55 Steppes: This is the last one, ive seen this one only a couple of times it rarely spawns, but i have seen it.

Culled from this Reddit Thread (http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2gltxy/how_i_maxed_out_my_vanguard_marks_in_under_4/)

HardlyCapable13
09-20-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/farming-simulator-15-release-date-announced

Gink
09-20-2014, 02:42 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/farming-simulator-15-release-date-announced

:clap:Smart ass

HardlyCapable13
09-20-2014, 02:46 PM
:clap:Smart ass

:becky:

Well, it IS a "hardcore farming sim."

Gink
09-20-2014, 02:56 PM
:becky:

Well, it IS a "hardcore farming sim."

Nice to see this genre of games are finally making their way to console. I wonder what sort of pre-order bonuses will be on offer.:neutral:

Gink
09-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Chasing the cycle of public events on Earth gets pretty tedious. I can definitely see how you could max your Vanguard marks in under 4 hours, but I'd really suggest spreading it out over the week, or breaking it up with strike playlists. At 4 marks per gold finish on an event and 5-6 events per hour if you are lucky... it takes a while and a lot of running back and forth. I decided to move on after about 40 marks.

TonkaToys
09-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Just found this website, which shows you when and where the next public event should be, on all planets:

http://destinypublicevents.com/

RC-1136
09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Has anyone tried farming the Loot Cave in the Cosmodrome yet?

Major Stains
09-22-2014, 03:01 PM

I read about that this morning...sounds like a store on Black Friday...people queueing around the corner to grab some loot!

RC-1136
09-23-2014, 06:43 AM
I read about that this morning...sounds like a store on Black Friday...people queueing around the corner to grab some loot!

Farmed the shit out of the cave last night and then again this morning. I got a ton of blue and green Engrams and 1 purple. Got nothing good from the Cryptarc, though. I got a another purple engram for increasing my Cryptarc Rank and it gave a piece of purple Titan armor and I'm a Warlock. I can't win.

TonkaToys
09-23-2014, 07:41 AM

I've only read about the one on the moon - is there another on Earth?

[Edit] Found it

REMEC87
09-23-2014, 07:44 AM
Farmed the shit out of the cave last night and then again this morning. I got a ton of blue and green Engrams and 1 purple. Got nothing good from the Cryptarc, though. I got a another purple engram for increasing my Cryptarc Rank and it gave a piece of purple Titan armor and I'm a Warlock. I can't win.

Farmed the cave a few times last night for about an hour and a half in total. Ton of green weapons along with blue/green engrams. Nothing spectacular whatsoever except strange coins. Got a couple of legendary engrams in the mail but turned out blue or green. My XP did not move the whole night :(

"Everyday I'm hustling" too bad without any luck. I'm going to throat punch the cryptarc if things don't improve.

SouthtownSlayer
09-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Farmed the cave a few times last night for about an hour and a half in total. Ton of green weapons along with blue/green engrams. Nothing spectacular whatsoever except strange coins. Got a couple of legendary engrams in the mail but turned out blue or green. My XP did not move the whole night :(

"Everyday I'm hustling" too bad without any luck. I'm going to throat punch the cryptarc if things don't improve.

You're over lvl 20 so your xp won't move unless you put better + light armor. Save up them strange coins man, and don't sweat not getting anything that would increase your levels come Friday if the merchant shows up buy yourself a new upgrade with your coins.

Uglyduck213
09-23-2014, 09:51 AM

I pillaged that cave last night and it was fruitful :)

I picked up a legendary special weapon and finally got some level 20 primaries (I've been with 18's since level 20) and upgraded my armor to get me to level 24. This spot pushed me over the top pretty quick.

I've farmed the Dark of the Moon and that one with all the thrall at the gate, this one has produced the most engrams in the shortest amount of time. Cool thing is, you can get loot just by being present so you can hang out and dismantle equipment, rack up glimmer, and watch the engrams drop while your buddies do work. Its also a good spot to level up weapons and new armor. Look out for cave trolls, Beano and I ran in to one last night. They take all the fun out of spelunking.

Madlob75
09-23-2014, 10:09 AM
I had some good luck there last night. I think I ended up with a total of 6 or 7 legendary engrams. That netted me a legendary scout rifle, Warlock boots and a legendary loin cloth (for my legendary junk). Throw in public events in the same area and this place is GOLD JERRY!

TonkaToys
09-23-2014, 10:37 AM
and a legendary loin cloth (for my legendary junk).
I've heard about you and your legendary loin cloth - didn't realise it hid legendary junk though.

Badgerute
09-23-2014, 12:40 PM

where is the loot cave? I wish you could kill the cryptarch. he always turns my purple engrams into useless blue crap. always.

Uglyduck213
09-23-2014, 01:59 PM
This explains it pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7DmqiQFk6o

Badgerute
09-23-2014, 03:17 PM
This explains it pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7DmqiQFk6o

Thanks. You can all find me at the cave tonight.

mechatool
09-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I'm up to level 23 currently without any legendary gear. The strange coins are burning a hole in my pocket..I mean vibrating. I plan on picking up exotic armor on friday when the stranger shows up at the tower. This should bump me up to level 25.

Spike Forehand
09-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Spent some time at the loot cave last night when all of a sudden Fallen started arriving in massive numbers from all sides. We figured it was bungie trolling all the loot cave campers. It was really fun for for a bit.

Gink
09-23-2014, 04:57 PM
The cave is pretty cool, definitely takes 2 to keep the baddies from getting out, and works best if no one is constantly running towards/in/around it. The short time I was there some lvl15 kept screwing it all up. Good place to kick it and wait for the public event though.

I didn't get any legendaries, just a legendary chest piece engram that turned into a mote of light. A few junky blues and a pile of greens for spare parts. Still, more reward than I got for the time consuming level 22 vanguard strike I did after that.

Gink
09-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Spent some time at the loot cave last night when all of a sudden Fallen started arriving in massive numbers from all sides. We figured it was bungie trolling all the loot cave campers. It was really fun for for a bit.

Just ran into the same thing, noticed in the lower right of the screen "The enemy are moving against each other..." Didn't know what that meant until I scoped down and found myself surrounded.

sureMOE
09-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Just ran into the same thing, noticed in the lower right of the screen "The enemy are moving against each other..." Didn't know what that meant until I scoped down and found myself surrounded.

This happened to me twice last night!! I have decided to call it "The Farming Purge". From what I figure, it seems to be triggered when too many people are farming the cave at the same time. I feel like it happens when a 5th person arrives. And I must say...you guys are calm about it...

HOLY...
FREAKIN....
SHIT....

It is nothing short of mad chaos. When they first start pouring out, it's not bad, just shooting a bunch of moving targets. But by the time it hits it's peak, you are surrounded by hordes of high level bad dudes, Hallowed Knights with swords, Hallowed Captains, Hallowed Wizards, Hallowed Servitors!!! I have never seen such chaos in this game. We had 5 of us just trying to beat these guys down and I couldn't even reach the other farmers to revive them because I was surrounded by guys everywhere! Luckily, one guy had been throwing out the orbs while farming so there was a giant stockpile that I would keep going back to, powering up, then using my plasma attack. I have never seen a battle like that yet in Destiny. It was absolutely crazy! I think Bungie is having fun making you work for your cryptograms!!

sam007
09-24-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks. You can all find me at the cave tonight.

Beano and I found you there, just a little too close. :lol:

I saw Mech and RC doing this one night and I pulled a Badger. :lol:

Badgerute
09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Beano and I found you there, just a little too close. :lol:

I saw Mech and RC doing this one night and I pulled a Badger. :lol:

The loot cave blows. Didn't get any purples. Went back to venus where the plane is in the middle and picked up a legendary assault rifle. Once I rank that up, I should be good to go in terms of damage, just need to get my armor up to hit level 26. I didn't do the queen's missions -- I'll do that tonight I guess. The weekly we did last night was fun.

mechatool
09-24-2014, 04:47 PM
This happened to me twice last night!! I have decided to call it "The Farming Purge". From what I figure, it seems to be triggered when too many people are farming the cave at the same time. I feel like it happens when a 5th person arrives. And I must say...you guys are calm about it...

HOLY...
FREAKIN....
SHIT....

It is nothing short of mad chaos. When they first start pouring out, it's not bad, just shooting a bunch of moving targets. But by the time it hits it's peak, you are surrounded by hordes of high level bad dudes, Hallowed Knights with swords, Hallowed Captains, Hallowed Wizards, Hallowed Servitors!!! I have never seen such chaos in this game. We had 5 of us just trying to beat these guys down and I couldn't even reach the other farmers to revive them because I was surrounded by guys everywhere! Luckily, one guy had been throwing out the orbs while farming so there was a giant stockpile that I would keep going back to, powering up, then using my plasma attack. I have never seen a battle like that yet in Destiny. It was absolutely crazy! I think Bungie is having fun making you work for your cryptograms!!

This happened to me today. Your right...total madness!!!! After doing a couple of queens missions and farming the cave, I'm now level 26. Raid time. How many MP are level 26 now?

mechatool
09-24-2014, 04:49 PM
The loot cave blows. Didn't get any purples. Went back to venus where the plane is in the middle and picked up a legendary assault rifle. Once I rank that up, I should be good to go in terms of damage, just need to get my armor up to hit level 26. I didn't do the queen's missions -- I'll do that tonight I guess. The weekly we did last night was fun.

I farmed the cave today and picked up 3 purples, 16 blues and countless greens. Leveled up the crytark twice.

Gink
09-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Luckily, one guy had been throwing out the orbs while farming

Same here, not sure how it would have gone if I we weren't all chaining supers from the orbs.

Madlob75
09-24-2014, 05:29 PM
How many MP are level 26 now?

I should be there after tonight. Still need a good primary. I have a purple scout rifle, but would really like an auto rifle.

Major Stains
09-24-2014, 07:13 PM
I thought I'd give the cave a go earlier, as there was nobody else around to join.
Nobody was there, so I started to trigger them as they come out. It seemed like a decent haul and another person came and joined me for 5 minutes.
As I went over to clear up the goodies, all hell broke loose as you mentioned above. But by this time it was me on my own against all manner of craziness.
I did happen to find a dead spot where they all leave you alone and just go off and fight each other, just at the far end of the building on the left, near the cliff.
Handy spot to reload and get my hearing back after all the wailing and screeching!

Gink
09-24-2014, 07:20 PM
So far the cave has only indirectly contributed to my legendaries. Pretty sure all that I have came from gifts from levelling up the cryptarch. All the random legendary engrams I pick up give me blues or motes at best. Right before I quit earlier I noticed I was a sliver from cryptarch level 6, so bought some random engram from him, picked up the mail and got some ghost angel boots to bump me to 25. I've got enough vanguard marks for a chest piece which would probably push me to 26, but I'll probably hold off until I max marks for the week and see if I've picked up any more pieces randomly. But 26 is definitely within reach now. Just need a gazillion helium filaments to level my armor up. Oh, and either a legendary hand cannon or scout rifle would be nice.

sureMOE
09-25-2014, 01:17 PM
I am sad to announce that the loot cave is no more! :(

http://kotaku.com/bungie-kills-destiny-loot-cave-1639154905/all

REMEC87
09-25-2014, 01:26 PM
I am sad to announce that the loot cave is no more! :(

http://kotaku.com/bungie-kills-destiny-loot-cave-1639154905/all

No more ascendant gear from dismantling queens gear. Boo bungie! Make the cryptarch give me purple armor/weapons for purple engrams (for my class).

I'll give this game another week to improve but after that it's back to the battlefield.

RC-1136
09-25-2014, 01:55 PM
No more ascendant gear from dismantling queens gear. Boo bungie! Make the cryptarch give me purple armor/weapons for purple engrams (for my class).

I'll give this game another week to improve but after that it's back to the battlefield.

I agree with patching the loot cave, but not getting ascendant material from the Queen's gear makes no sense. Especially when you get duplicate pieces of armor.

RC-1136
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM
RIP loot Cave

Major Stains
09-25-2014, 03:36 PM
RIP loot Cave

Southtown is going to miss it the most.
As his hot female character used to attract plenty of attention giving a free peep show inside the loot cave. A.K.A. Southtowns Legendary Pencil Slim Noo Noo!

sam007
09-25-2014, 05:17 PM
It (the loot cave) was fun while it lasted and yeah, its a shame dismantling Queen's Wrath gear no longer gives ascendent material. :Cry:

RC-1136
09-26-2014, 01:14 PM
New loot cave found. It's in the Rocketyard on earth near where the Hive Knights and Acolytes are. It's not a cave, but a door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTrVkfj97hQ#t=135

I'm obviously not doing any work at work today.

sureMOE
09-26-2014, 04:32 PM
I tried the new loot cave earlier. I dunno about how good it is compared to the other. Two bouts of messing around with it and I got a few engrams and lots of ammo. I would be interested to see what other people think of it. It didn't feel as productive as the other cave. I will give it a go again this weekend.

Gink
09-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Found an easier way to get spirit bloom than hunt for the slow respawning glowy balls on random trees and scenery.

In the first area of Venus you visit, where the only enemies are 4 separate groups of Fallen, there are also 4 doorways leading to small rooms. 3 of the doorways are spawns for the Fallen, the last is around the corner from the first group of Fallen.

There is always a chest in one of these 4 rooms with spirit bloom, glimmer, and often other low value loot. I had bounties for ether drops from Fallen, 200 Fallen headshots, and needed some bloom for weapon upgrades. Ended up rolling this area, kill a group of fallen, check their spawn room, move on to the next. I never went more than a few rooms down the line before finding the chest again. It never seemed to spawn in the next closest room, but was always in the 3rd or 4th away from where I opened it.

So, roll down the road to the group of Vandals, Dregs, and Shanks amongst the cars, taken them out. Their spawn room is on the right. The next room isn't a spawn but is just forward and around the corner to the right of the first, towards the bottom of some stairs. You can ignore the Fallen hanging out down the hill by the old bus stop. Continue on to the center group, take them out, move past where they congregate to find their doorway. Then move on to the last group with the Servitor and find their room at the back of the bigger room. You'll find a chest in one of those 4 rooms, then work your way back through the rooms and you'll find it again. Back and forth. 4 rooms, 3 groups of fallen. Not the most exciting run. Helps to be working on bounties. And when you've got a weapon that's going to take 72 or so blooms to level up, it beats frolicking all over venus just to pick the odd bloom here and there.

sureMOE
09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
I tried Loot Cave 2.0 a bunch this weekend. Got 3 legendary engrams in succession (each time it took to run out of all ammo). Pretty lucrative spot for sure. Better take advantage of it this week before they patch it by the end of the week!

sam007
09-29-2014, 06:12 PM
We were there so long time ago. :lol:

REMEC87
10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Forget the loot cave. It's all about the loot stairs

http://www.vg247.com/2014/10/08/destiny-loot-stairs-farming-spot/

TonkaToys
10-08-2014, 09:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7q46o89TtU

dammit Rem beat me to it :biggrin:

Madlob75
10-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Has anyone found any resources that explain the loot drop system? I can't find anything, and don't really understand it. Bungie doesn't need to "fix" these farming areas, they need to fix how the engrams drop. It doesn't make sense that I can stand in front of a door and mow down 6-7 guys and see two engrams drop, but when I'm anywhere else and take down the same amount of baddies I don't get the same result.

sam007
10-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Has anyone found any resources that explain the loot drop system? I can't find anything, and don't really understand it. Bungie doesn't need to "fix" these farming areas, they need to fix how the engrams drop. It doesn't make sense that I can stand in front of a door and mow down 6-7 guys and see two engrams drop, but when I'm anywhere else and take down the same amount of baddies I don't get the same result.

Forget engram drops, farm Nightfall, Weekly, and the Raid. I tried a little Public Event farming and along with the bounties and its a huge time saver if you go to the correct spots to get those Majors and Ultras while waiting for the Public Event to happen.

Depending on which event you get, there are Majors and Ultras to take down, so its two birds with one stone.

I have not gotten anything good from engrams and getting a strange coin or mote of light is exciting. :lol:

sam007
12-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Since farming is not required anymore, everyone remember to use a glimmer consumable bonus before engaging the native mobs for each map.

I've been using the consumables when certain public events hit.

You gain lots of glimmer really fast.

Southtown was the first to mention, but since he's AWOL now, he won't know anymore just how important it is to make your play time efficient. :lol: