View Full Version : Odd Catalog Finds

10-17-2014, 11:49 AM
One of the only perks of flying (to me) is throwing on some headphones and flipping through Sky Mall for a good laugh. We get a few catalogs in the mail at home, and I just can't believe some of the stuff in them. I thought I'd throw up some here to share with MPeeps. Not sure this thread will last, but here it goes.

This one is actually pretty cool if you're an NHL fan.

Because I'm sure people with this kind of money will be looking through these catalogs...
Priced at $2 million, you can enjoy a submarine sports car! What kind of underwater environment would you be able to drive on though. In all my years of SCUBA diving I've never seen a ocean floor that is driveable.

This is the only car that navigates underwater realms as easily as it cruises across land. Inspired by the submarine Lotus driven by James Bond in The Spy Who Loved Me, the car floats when driven into water and submerges with the pull of a lever, sending the sports car on an underwater adventure. Two water jets mounted behind rotating louvers at the front of the vehicle provide steering and lift and propellers at the rear provide forward movement up to 2 knots at depths down to 33'. The two built-in scuba tanks and diving regulators allow two people to remain underwater for an hour. The zero-emission vehicle uses a 54 kW 160 NM electric motor powered by six 48-volt Lithium-ion batteries, allowing it to reach a maximum speed of 75 mph. The two-person capacity car has the same steel chassis used in the Lotus Elise, its interior is impervious to fresh or salt water, and an onboard laser-guided sensor enables the sports car to operate autonomously. Batteries power the car for up to 80 miles on land and for three hours underwater after a four-hour charge. Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply. Please call 1-800-227-3528 for details. 12 1/2' L x 6 1/3' W. (2,028 lbs.)

Or how about a flying hovercraft? Only $190,000.

This is the hovercraft that glides over land and water yet also soars in the air up to 70 mph with the aid of integrated wings. A 130-hp twin-cylinder, liquid-cooled gasoline engine, turbocharged and fuel-injected, drives its 60" wood/carbon composite thrust propeller while a 1,100-rpm 34" lift fan inflates its durable vinyl-coated nylon skirt for hovering above the ground. Operating in fresh- or saltwater and up to 30% inclines over sand, mud, grass, swamp, desert, ice, and snow, its wings and horizontal elevator enable pilots to simply hop over water- or land-based obstacles up to 20'-high unsurmountable to a typical hovercraft. A joystick controls three vertical rudders and the elevator, a twist friction-lock throttle controls forward speed, and a variable drive system controls the lift fan for hovering. Braking is provided by lowering the lift fan's rpms; comes to rest on Kevlar composite landing skids. Its low center of gravity and composite fiberglass/PVC hull enable it to operate in winds up to 25 mph and waves up to 6' when in flight. Two nine-gallon gasoline tanks provide a 160-mile range. Supports pilot/passenger payloads up to 600 lbs. for flight. Requires registration as a boat. Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply. Please call 1-800-227-3528 for details. 19' L x 7'8" W x 6'6". (1,100 lbs.)

Forza Horizon 2 anyone?
Edit: Nevermind, I thought you could hook up a console to it. Looks like it comes preloaded with a racer. Priced at $65,000.

This is the only racing simulator with a 180, 106"-wide HD screen that immerses the driver in a high-speed virtual car race of unparalleled realism. The seamless 7 million-pixel screen wraps halfway around the driver and displays the window net, side mirrors, and passed cars in the driver's peripheral vision - exactly where they would be seen inside a real cockpit. Designed with the manufacturers of the high-performance Ariel Atom sports car, the simulator has a sequential shift transmission, the same gearbox found in professional racecars, for rapid transition between gears and angle- and force-adjustable gas, brake, and clutch pedals. As drivers make rapid turns and drive over bumps, motion transducers push the cockpit up and down to transmit road and engine reverberation to the driver. Fifty seven renowned race circuits, including Daytona International Speedway, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Laguna Seca, are recreated from three-dimensional laser scans that capture every camber, curve, and pavement crack for a digital reproduction that is accurate to 1/13th of an inch. Players choose from 30 race cars, such as the classic Ford '34 Coupe and Lotus 79, digitally recreated from the manufacturers' CAD data and a physics engine that replicates dynamic forces drivers actually experience. Special conditions and guarantee limitations apply. Please call 1-800-227-3528 for details. 6 1/2' H x 9' W x 7 3/4' D. (552 lbs.)

10-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Thwart those pesky paparazzi for a reasonable $50.

This is the reflective visor that pulls down over the face to thwart the invasive leerings of even the most seasoned paparazzi without impairing the wearer’s vision. Ideal for concealing one’s countenance whether avoiding the press at the beach or the boss when playing office truant on Opening Day, its one-way reflective 19 1/4"-long x 10"-wide surface provides 50+ UPF sun protection, blocking 99% of harmful rays. Pivoting easily at two points, the visor flips down faster than a flash bulb to confound camera-wielders with a dismissive yet graceful style that requires no further admonition. 19 1/2" L x 10" W x 7 1/4" D. (3 oz.)