PDA

View Full Version : HDD Space

RC-1136
12-25-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm out of Space on my PS4 HDD. I had to make room to install Assasin's Creed Unity and I won't have enough room to install Far Cry 4 later. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is upgrading the hard drive the only solution? This sucks because I don't even have that many games. COD Ghosts and AW are taking up the most space. If I delete Ghost will I lose all of the DLC that I've purchased or could I reinstall it form the PS Store?

SouthtownSlayer
12-25-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm out of Space on my PS4 HDD. I had to make room to install Assasin's Creed Unity and I won't have enough room to install Far Cry 4 later. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is upgrading the hard drive the only solution? This sucks because I don't even have that many games. COD Ghosts and AW are taking up the most space. If I delete Ghost will I lose all of the DLC that I've purchased or could I reinstall it form the PS Store?

I've had to do the same thing for a few games, if you have the DLC you can always redownload the game and DLC after you delete it. It will still show up in your "Library" so if you want to redownload it you just have to go there and click on the game and choose download.

Snowblind
12-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Swapping in a new hdd sounds pretty easy. Playstation has instructions on their website. https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd And here is a link to a variety of hdd's on games radar, I'm thinking of getting a 2tb myself. http://www.gamesradar.com/best-hard-drive-for-ps4/

HardlyCapable13
12-25-2014, 02:21 PM
This was the problem with both PS4 and X1 putting such a small hard drive in the new systems. I ran out on my X1 forever ago, but luckily just had to buy an external USB 3.0 drive. I went with a 3TB.

Gink
12-25-2014, 02:51 PM
The biggest pain in the ass part of swapping hard drives is backup/restore of files. PS4 might be easier than last gen, since I believe all our saves are automatically on the cloud? I wouldn't take any chances though and would at least back up saves to a USB. If you have a USB hard drive bigger than the 500GB stock, you can do a full backup of all your installed data, a lot faster than redownloading to just restore it all to the new drive.

Otherwise swapping the drives is a piece of cake. I planned to go mostly digital this gen and knew I'd go through 500GB in no time. I turned on the PS4 once to make sure everything worked, then swapped in a 2TB drive before any games were installed.

There're usually good deals on drives this time of year, just make sure you get a 2.5", and check for reviews of folks saying it worked for PS4. Some of the high capacity 2.5" drives are slightly too tall. I can't remember if the limit is 9 or 12mm, but there are quite a few more available that fit than there were a year ago. I found a Seagate external drive USB drive that was cheaper than just buying a bare hard drive. Just cracked open the case and removed the drive inside. You can put your old drive in the enclosure and use it as a 500GB usb drive if you want.

Major Stains
12-25-2014, 04:17 PM
I'm still secretly hoping that Sony pull their finger out and give us external HD capability in an update that offers more than friggin themes...

Gink
12-25-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm still secretly hoping that Sony pull their finger out and give us external HD capability in an update that offers more than friggin themes...

It'd be nice to have both, but I'll take internal storage upgrades over external drives any day, especially with a measly 2 USB ports.

HardlyCapable13
12-25-2014, 07:37 PM
It'd be nice to have both, but I'll take internal storage upgrades over external drives any day, especially with a measly 2 USB ports.

Personally I would rather have an option for external rather than internal only. I love that I can just unplug my HD from the game room X1 and plug it into our family room console.

Also just so much easier for kids or non-tech inclined. I do see wanting an internal option, but why not allow both?

Gink
12-25-2014, 10:50 PM
That does sound pretty useful for those fancy pants with multiple consoles. With just one I like everything self contained, but they really should allow both.

External storage should be a given on anything with a USB.