PDA

View Full Version : Slot Cars!

Uglyduck213
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
These little things have been making quite a come back, I had no idea. I wasn't too interested in them as a kid, they only captured my attention briefly, but now my daughter and I have taken to them so its ignited an interest. The technology has evolved a lot. New tracks and cars use digital chips to run multiple cars on the same lane, change lanes, program "fuel tanks", pit stops, safety cars, and ghost cars. Its pretty darn cool. Any other MP's toying with slot cars?

Here's a link to a video of a nice digital track layout. I'd just embed it but video code is off for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58MGECxMKcM

Gink
01-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Pretty cool. My dad had a small set when I was a kid, I always enjoyed it when we'd occasionally set it up and race around. Had forgotten about them entirely. Cool that they are applying new technology to the cars. Looks like a fun hobby!

Major Stains
01-01-2015, 04:56 PM
I've always loved them, the main brand was and is Scalextric over here.
We used to have a set when we were kids, and last year we bought our kids the Carrera 'Mario Kart' track which has given them hours of fun.
Good times.

Uglyduck213
01-02-2015, 01:57 PM
Scalextrics makes some great kits and cars. I'm considering their new app controlled analog track the "ARC One". It has some of the features that the digital tracks have without the cost. I'm sure it'll suck me in to the ARC Pro for digital tracks whenever its released.

Link to Scalextrics explanation of the new ARC systems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkM1vjNTPeA

SmokeyCheese1
01-02-2015, 02:40 PM
I miss them. theyre soo expensive now tho. I had one that was a little city with a dump truck, fire truck, police car. Was pretty sweet.

Uglyduck213
01-13-2015, 08:08 PM
My daughters 8th birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks so I pulled the trigger on the Scalextric ARC One. It looks like a pretty cool setup and I wouldn't be surprised to see it develop into a remote racing set up. Meaning, you race at home against people from around the world via an internet connection and compare laps in real time. If they found a way to make the app control a ghost car on your track to match your opponent that would be particularly cool.

Uglyduck213
01-18-2015, 05:43 PM
This thing has been a lot of fun so far. My daughter and I stayed up waaaaay too late the night I gave it to her. She likes to run the races and has legitimately beat me many many times. This set is recommended to anyone looking into the hobby.