PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Won 2014, But The Wii U's Fundamental Problem Remains

Major Stains
01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
2014 proved a hit with Wii U exclusives, with several exclusives popping up in many 'best game of 2014' polls and lists.

This (http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/01/02/nintendo-won-2014-but-the-wii-us-fundamental-problem-remains/) article over at Forbes makes a convincing argument that this only proves Nintendo's uncanny skill for making glorious exclusives rather than the Wii U being a console built to last.

With Zelda lined up for this year.
What do you think? Have Nintendo peaked early and due to little or no third party support, is it a matter of time before the Wii U disappears into obscurity?

It's a shame that 2014 ended up being a pretty good year for the Wii U, because ironically it also ended up being the year that the Wii died on Team MP.
With a steady stream of negativity towards the console, before the PS4/ X1 launched, and a few 'in house' disagreements. The Wii U fan base has all but gone. Along with big hitting third party titles like Madden, Call of Duty, and Assassins Creed also leaving Nintendo's console high and dry.
This news does seem like a bitter pill to swallow.

If only Wii U members still came here, then I might hear some opinions on the subject.
But I shall just leave you with a few quotes from the article...

Nintendo has stepped up with their exclusives in a way Sony and Microsoft MSFT +0.65% haven’t this year. In the endless amount of top ten lists you’ll see littering the internet this time of year, you’ll easily see Mario Kart, Smash and/or Bayonetta on many of them. But if you find more than one or two Sony/Microsoft exclusives, I’d be amazed.

I worry that 2014, good as it was for Nintendo, will be the year the Wii U peaked. The biggest games of any Nintendo console generation are almost always Smash Bros, Mario Kart and a new Zelda game, and we’re already at two out of three. Yes, Nintendo has many other well-known first party franchises, but those are the big trio, and after they’re out, it’s usually time to start looking ahead to the next system. With Zelda set to (supposedly) debut in 2015, that could be soon, and many are speculating that Nintendo will start talking new hardware shortly. I wouldn’t think this year, but maybe the next.

SheepDog320
01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Really the lack of third party support is what drove me away from Nintendo. The only reason I stuck with it was the motion controls and of course the amazing MPs that were there. I am really enjoying my ps4 now that I have gotten used to the da controls. The fact of getting full support for games is awesome. The only games I had for Wii u was cod games.

HardlyCapable13
01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Really the lack of third party support is what drove me away from Nintendo.

That's exactly why I moved away from Nintendo post N64, and stay away to this day. I will be picking up a U when Zelda drops though.

donhardeone
01-05-2015, 08:38 AM
...I will be picking up a U when Zelda drops though.

Yeeeaaahhhh, I know myself well enough to know this will be the case for me. I see a big argument with the wife about how we spend money in my future. Heh.

As for the OP, I think Nintendo has hit their main titles with Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and the looming Zelda. That being said, they still have room to release some other amazing titles to sustain the console. The first franchise that comes to mind is Metroid. That franchise desperately needs a new kick ass title after the disaster that was Other M, and it has just as big of a cult following as any Nintendo franchise. The games I wound up enjoying the most on Wii happened to be the Super Mario Galaxy games, and I would love to see another one. It's easy to think they peaked early, but given the negative press and unhappy customer base after a disappointing year one, did they have any alternative than to release all of these big games in year two? Year two started to draw people back, and year three is destined to with Zelda. All they need then is a few more titles and SOME level of third party games and support.

Major Stains
01-05-2015, 04:24 PM
It's easy to think they peaked early, but given the negative press and unhappy customer base after a disappointing year one, did they have any alternative than to release all of these big games in year two? Year two started to draw people back, and year three is destined to with Zelda. All they need then is a few more titles and SOME level of third party games and support.

Thats a good point.
As you said, from launch through year one they had a tough time selling the console that lacked a true identity.
Having played several titles that worked well with the gamepad (Lego City Undercover springs to mind), I placed all blame on the abysmal marketing strategy.
But seeing how few titles really embrace the gamepad as a bonus feature, I guess Nintendo did have to pull out the big guns to shift those units.