PDA

View Full Version : THIS is how confidence should work in the game...

TrojanTeacher
01-22-2015, 01:58 PM
Pay attention to the 3:50 mark. This is when the visiting team has their first actual possession (I know, before that they ran in a kick, but this time they have to move the ball). At first, the run play is called and you can see when the player checks the play, it's shaking all over the place. This is to simulate "nerves" or confidence drops. The run is unsuccessful, so the next play is a pass and you can see how shakey those lines are. If they player would have NOT made the pass and catch, then the next play would have missing routes on the screen and/or (?) over the player heads to simulate the confidence dropping even further. By the 4:50 mark, the QB has his confidence. This can stay like that, or if the QB starts to get INT and throwing bad passes, it can go back to being shakey. This I loved in NCAA, Madden needs this as it's confidence modifier, not having to use XP to build it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9MuEC5ZU4

SmokeyCheese1
01-22-2015, 02:07 PM
I hate having to use my workout hours to build confidence. If theyre going to continue to use the Confidence mechanic, then they should separate it out or at the very least have things like sacks, INTs, big passes, ect count for more. Also, Confidence should change within the game more drastically than outside of the game. For instance, Breesus throws an INT - BOOM -10 COnfidence for game only, but picks back up and wins and throws 3 TDs and runs one in himself and actually finishes the game with say +5. But that would only be say +2 overall booster because he is Bressus and he doesn't throw INTs so he needs to sit and think about it.

Something like that.

donhardeone
01-22-2015, 02:09 PM
I think that is better, and a bit more realistic. I also like that it is on a per-game basis. Though I still don't like the system in general. For players such as myself who really struggled at first jumping to the psuedo-All-Madden difficulty we use, I would have still been punished because my controlling of players was subpar. I have high-quality players who play like rookies some weeks because I am not a Madden expert. I have learned to deal with the confidence system, but I have to totally change my approach to a game in a way that sets me at a disadvantage. Look at my first season with the Falcons, everyone knew I was going to run the ball 90% of the time. Why, because I sucked at timing pass routes and figuring out coverages. As such, Matt Ryan and I threw a LOT of picks and bad throws. My only option was to run a lot to have the defense move up, then throw a PA pass every 8 or 9 plays just to keep confidence at an acceptable level. Which in turn took down the confidence of my WRS and TE because I wasn't throwing them the ball enough. Givent hat we shorten halves, it is literally impossible to have all of your players with a positive confidence.

donhardeone
01-22-2015, 02:13 PM
I hate having to use my workout hours to build confidence. If theyre going to continue to use the Confidence mechanic, then they should separate it out or at the very least have things like sacks, INTs, big passes, ect count for more. Also, Confidence should change within the game more drastically than outside of the game. For instance, Breesus throws an INT - BOOM -10 COnfidence for game only, but picks back up and wins and throws 3 TDs and runs one in himself and actually finishes the game with say +5. But that would only be say +2 overall booster because he is Bressus and he doesn't throw INTs so he needs to sit and think about it.

Something like that.

I think this is an area that frustrates me most about the current system. It punishes you heavily for mistakes without balancing things out for the positives. If my QB throws 4 TDs in one game they get no confidence boost, but if they throw 2 (or god forbid 3) INTs they get hit significantly with a drop in confidence. If a CB drops a single INT they get punished, but getting 2 INTs may or may not give them a boost. The lack of consistency in application of positive/negative confidence is frustrating.

Retro
01-22-2015, 04:38 PM
While I do prefer the NCAA way, I've never used practise time to increase confidence. Make smart play calls that fit your players abilities and the current situation. Never had a single issue with confidence.

donhardeone
01-22-2015, 05:14 PM
While I do prefer the NCAA way, I've never used practise time to increase confidence. Make smart play calls that fit your players abilities and the current situation. Never had a single issue with confidence.

You also are MUCH better than most of us at playing the game. Heh. I am a mediocre player with high-caliber players that mask just how bad I am. You on the other hand won a friggin superbowl with the RAMS. Kind of speaks for itself. :-)

I honestly try not to use prep hours for confidence, but once your QB gets under 30 confidence you HAVE to because they are unable to complete even the simplest of screen passes from my experience. Anytime one of my starters get sub-30, I switch to prep confidence instead of XP.

HardlyCapable13
01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Did I ever tell you guys I hate this system?