PDA

View Full Version : Wii U - my thoughts

HardlyCapable13
04-10-2015, 02:59 PM
I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64. Not because I disliked them, but they took a different direction than I wanted my gaming to go, and at the time I could only afford one console. So I was pleased to pick up the Wii U a couple weeks ago and see what I've been missing.

The games I've played so far are great, but everyone knows that Nintendo puts out some quality titles. So I'll just concentrate on the console.

I've always been against the game pad, and stick to that now. I will never use it, and in fact despise it in a lot of ways. I tried it one night before bed, laying down and racing in MK8. The thing is so uncomfortable it's not even funny. I can't imaging using that as your main controller. I purchased 2 pro controllers which do the trick well, though are pricey for such a cheap feeling controller. IMO the game pad should be an add on. It's a great concept and I can see how some could utilize it, but not for me.

I haven't played online other than once with Stains on MK8, but why does Nintendo make it so hard? It's a joke. You can't invite anyone to a game? You can't have a party chat? This is just so odd to me.

I'm not a fan of the UI. I can see it's appeal to kids and casuals. Not a biggie, just pointing it out.

Space size is a joke. I think I'm at 32GB, which I'm pretty sure I've already filled up.

I do like having the option to buy all the retro games and play them here. I can pack up my retro consoles for safe keeping and put them in storage, but still play the classics on a controller that's actually comfy.

Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. This is no joke and not a poke at the PS4, but I think I've put more time in on the WiiU in 2 weeks than I have on my PS4 in a year.

Anyway, back to the games (looking for recommendations). I purchased MK8, New Mario U, DK Tropical Freeze, and Wind Waker HD. Really looking forward to the new Zelda and Mario Maker (and hopefully a new Metroid and Star Fox). What else should I be looking at? (not Smash Bros, I hate fighters).

Major Stains
04-10-2015, 03:51 PM
As I mentioned before, my memories of Nintendo go back to my 80's Game & Watch handhelds, the SNES, and then my wife disrupted my PS2 time with a novelty birthday gift in the shape of a Wii.

The Wii wasn't all about bowling or cow racing for me, it was my introduction into online FPS with World at War, motion control gaming was for me (not for many others) inspired with shooting games, and of course it bought me to Team MP.

Having enjoyed motion control for so many years, the thought of buying a Pro controller for the Wii U has never even entered my mind.
I agree, motion control like the gamepad is and should only be viewed as a gimmick.
It will never give the end user the ease of a thumb stick controller, but it gives an added element to the gamer unavailable on other consoles.

With young kids, the gamepad comes into its own. When I race the boys, I pick it up as it is harder to control and gives them an advantage which is good.
Games like 'Lego City Undercover' utilise it well.
And to a youngster, it feels like their own little tablet (unless they have actual tablets!) where they can control all their favourite characters.

For my own experience, the gamepad is far from utilised in most titles that I have.
Which is a shame.

The console is what it is. A PS3.5 or similar. The hardware was never there to compete with PS4/X1.
But I don't think you can buy it expecting it to compete, you buy it to play your favourite Nintendo exclusives, plus a huge back catalogue of retro classics.
Coupled with another console, it is a perfect combination.

Yes, I am saddened that 3rd party support is dead, and that the 'good old days' playing CoD with MPs will never be repeated on my beloved Zapper.
But I've always stood by the fact that it is a great family console for young ones and fans of Nintendo franchises.
Games such as Mario Kart are so vivid and polished. They run super smooth in glorious detail.
But Nintendo still struggle with dated online options and that is a shame.

I don't regret buying the Wii U on day one, and it is a fun addition to my gaming habit. And will be interested to see how long it is supported with new titles from Nintendo or other developers.

HardlyCapable13
04-10-2015, 07:21 PM
Agreed Stains. It's great at what it does, and in my eyes is a great machine. Love my purchase and looking forward to exploring more games.

Giorgio
11-21-2015, 05:55 AM
It was my introduction into online FPS with World at War, motion control gaming was for me (not for many others) inspired with shooting games, and of course it bought me to Team MP.

Having enjoyed motion control for so many years it will never give the end user the ease of a thumb stick controller, but it gives an added element to the gamer unavailable on other consoles.

Yes, I am saddened that 3rd party support is dead, and that the 'good old days' playing CoD with MPs will never be repeated on my beloved Zapper.

The wii was my introduction to COD with the wiimote as well (and made me start OFC). The wiiu was a nice upgrade but it was very said to see COD die on it.

I explored a dozen of options to get the wiimote to work on a playstation or xbox and found the solution in an usb adapter (Titan One / see consoletuner.com where I posted info, setup guide and wiimote scriptss for COD and BF)

Wiimote for life :)