PDA

View Full Version : Go Set a Watchman

Major Stains
07-14-2015, 01:33 PM
I am really excited about this book, as To Kill a Mockingbird was a stand out favourite when I was a kid. And I have no doubt this prequel/ sequel with be a classic too. This is like finding a lost Beatles album.

(Please use spoilers if you have read it, as I'm saving this for my next month, when I get a few days off work.)

Go Set a Watchman is a novel by Harper Lee published on July 14, 2015, by HarperCollins in the United States and William Heinemann in the United Kingdom. It was written before Lee's first and (until 2015) only other published novel, the Pulitzer Prize-winning To Kill a Mockingbird (1960). The title comes from Isaiah 21:6: "For thus hath the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth." It alludes to Scout's view of her father, Atticus Finch, as the moral compass ("watchman") of Maycomb, and has a theme of disillusionment, as she realizes her father's bigotry.

The book's unexpected discovery, decades after it was written, together with the exceptional renown of the author's only other book, an American classic, caused its publication to be highly anticipated; Amazon stated that it was their 'most pre-ordered book' since the final book of the Harry Potterseries in 2007, and stores arranged all-night openings from midnight to cope with expected demand.

HardlyCapable13
07-14-2015, 02:33 PM
How have I not heard of this??? That's been moved up to next on my list.

TrojanTeacher
07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
The butler did it, with a candle stick, up the bum....

Oooops...

***spoiler***

Major Stains
07-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Picked this up today and it came with a free DVD of the Gregory Peck classic which is a bonus.
So Teach, I will soon let you know if the candle was blown out or not!