PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry Primal

Major Stains
10-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Far Cry Primal revealed for 2016 release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU0tlaY9ZGI&sns=em

Far Cry Primal will arrive on Feb. 23, 2016 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and in March 2016 on Windows PC, Ubisoft revealed today after a daylong tease on its YouTube channel.

In Far Cry Primal, players will take on the role of Takkar, "the sole survivor of an ambush on his hunting group," according to a post on Ubisoft's official blog.

"Like any good hunter, Takkar carries an extensive set of survival skills, including the ability to craft tools and weapons from the bones of the beasts he slays and the resources he gathers in the wild. These are not only crucial for his own safety against predators (both human and animal), they’re also essential in maintaining the safety of his tribe. Takkar will need to guard his fledgling group carefully to ensure its survival and growth."

Ubisoft's official YouTube channel fleshes out the game's setting.

"The award-winning Far Cry franchise that stormed the tropics and the Himalayas now enters the original fight for humanity's survival with its innovative open-world sandbox gameplay, bringing together massive beasts, breathtaking environments, and unpredictable savage encounters," the YouTube description for Far Cry Primal reads.

"Welcome to the Stone Age, a time of extreme danger and limitless adventure, when giant mammoths and sabretooth tigers ruled the Earth, and humanity is at the bottom of the food chain. As the last survivor of your hunting group, you will learn to craft a deadly arsenal, fend off fierce predators, and outsmart enemy tribes to conquer the land of Oros and become the Apex Predator."

The just-announced Far Cry Primal is available for pre-order at Best Buy, GameStop, UPlay and Target, according to a link on the franchise's official site, though the pre-order links aren't live at the time of this writing. All pre-orders come with the "The Legend Of The Mammoth Mission Pack," which Ubisoft does not detail on the site. The game's description on Best Buy's website, however, says that it includes "3 exclusive Mammoth Missions."

Ubisoft is also running a contest whose winners will play Far Cry Primal this December in San Francisco.

The news comes from a video aired by the publisher featuring a single image of a cave drawing with the title "Ubisoft Announcement - COMING SOON." The stream began at noon Eastern with Ubisoft tweeting a link to the video and a clue of what was coming.

"Survival is timeless" was the publisher's sole clue, and it immediately reminded fans of the Far Cry franchise, which sends players to exotic locales and tasks them with staying alive. The music, too, was reminiscent of the series' earlier games.

After 12 hours straight of a camera slowly peeling away to reveal a detailed cave painting — which, about eight hours deep into the stream, became terrifyingly animated — Ubisoft finally revealed that the prehistoric drawings were referencing Primal.

Full article here (http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/6/9454671/far-cry-primal-release-date-announcement-livestream-youtube)

Retro
10-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Getting it, need it, want it now. Love the direction they are taking with this.

Spike Forehand
10-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Don't get me wrong, I loved both FC3 and FC4, but does anyone else feel like Ubisoft is at risk of "Assassin's Creed"-ing this series? Maybe a year off would be good?

Retro
10-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Meh, if it was a similar time/setting to any other Far Cry game I'd say they are starting to maybe milk it. But the beauty of Far Cry is, there is no over-arching story, each game is self contained and can go in different directions.

The direction they have chosen for this is completely different from any other title right now, never mind another Far Cry game. The only thing close is ARK but that is a mix of pre-historic and modern day tech.

Playing a game that is set in the stone age and uses tools/weapons of that time is not something I ever remember being done before, certainly not a AAA game anyway.

Plus, Far Cry 3 came out in 2012. Far Cry 4 in 2014. This will be out in 2016. 3 games over a 4-5 year period isn't too bad. The quality of the Far Cry titles, at least to me, have been top drawer. As long as that standard is there and the games continue to be different and interesting, keep making and shipping them. I think the AC games got stale because they all blurred together. That hasn't happened with FC yet and I don't see it being a problem with Primal and it's direction.

HardlyCapable13
10-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Don't get me wrong, I loved both FC3 and FC4, but does anyone else feel like Ubisoft is at risk of "Assassin's Creed"-ing this series? Maybe a year off would be good?

Thinking the same thing.

HardlyCapable13
10-06-2015, 07:28 PM
To be fair they did take a year off. FC4 came out in 2014. But it just feels too recent. I'm sure I'll change my tune closer to release though. As for AC, I'm way over that series.

Major Stains
10-07-2015, 04:56 AM
I was happy to see Ubisoft just trying to break to mould.
Stripping a game back to the basics, to a time before guns/ jet packs/ explosives.
In fact the last time I came face to face with a Sabre Tooth in a video game was probably in 1984.
Who remembers Elite's classic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cnq4SdcYzs&sns=em

And it was refreshing to see a game announced (almost) without anyone spoiling the surprise.
A rare thing in this day and age.

Saying all that, I'm not totally sold on it being a Day 1 purchase for me, considering how quickly my attention dwindled whilst playing FC4. But I'm beginging to think thats just my view on all games of this ilk. I guess I'm all 'crafted out' after a days work.
Will battling Mammoths and Sabre Tooths be enough of a draw for me? I'm not sure
Maybe if there was some kind of rip in the fabric of time and Dinosaurs appeared, then that would be a different story!

Spike Forehand
10-07-2015, 12:41 PM
The quality of the Far Cry titles, at least to me, have been top drawer. As long as that standard is there and the games continue to be different and interesting, keep making and shipping them. I think the AC games got stale because they all blurred together. That hasn't happened with FC yet and I don't see it being a problem with Primal and it's direction.

Can't argue with any of that - I've loved them all and it hasn't felt repetitive yet. Hope you are right about Primal. I definitely cannot see myself NOT buying it (double negative FTW!).

Retro
01-21-2016, 11:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00xvrGHrSRg

Retro
02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12662457_10153533315812293_2236197807140563185_n.j pg?oh=97bc603d8a483dc124705034494c5181&oe=573F3C88

HardlyCapable13
02-03-2016, 09:05 PM
So I'm picking this up for sure, and love the new direction they're going in a pretty much unexplored genre. The only thing I'm worried is lack of weapon types. One thing I enjoy about FC is all the different weapons to choose from. But with the stone age, you'll be pretty limited. We shall see.

Retro
02-03-2016, 11:53 PM
I was a bow whore in 3 & 4. I think it will be fine for me.

Retro
02-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Love this trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mTBFzDGons

Gink
02-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Surprised we haven't heard a peep from anyone on the team about this game since release. Did everyone take a pass on it? Or just haven't gotten around to it yet since there's no real lack of games to be playing these days?

Retro
02-25-2016, 01:45 PM
I will get it, I just have a backlog of single player games at the moment and new MP games coming out. I know a few who did get it and it's all positive.

DeadChaos
02-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Surprised we haven't heard a peep from anyone on the team about this game since release. Did everyone take a pass on it? Or just haven't gotten around to it yet since there's no real lack of games to be playing these days?

I'll have to skip this for now, just don't have the time for another game at the moment.

Spike Forehand
02-25-2016, 03:54 PM
Ditto. I will definitely get it at some point when my single player backlog depletes. Still gotta finish Witcher, Fallout 4, and MGS:PP.

Gink
02-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Well, I guess none of that should be a surprise. I'm in the same boat. Definitely want to play it at some point, but am in no hurry to throw another SP game on the heap right now. I also figure I should maybe finish up FC4 before moving on. Not that they are related, but I do want to finish FC4. I tend to go hunting/sidequest crazy early on, max out crafted items. Then get tired of climbing towers and clearing outposts and take a break for a year before coming back to finish up. But the combat, etc in FC games is always so much fun, and this one is pretty unique, so I'll keep playing them despite the repetitious elements.

Hell, last weekend I finally picked up my FC3 platinum by playing the co-op missions again with the wife. Probably the 4th or 5th time we've played through them, but apparently the first time I was player 1 to get the trophies.

Retro
02-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Still have AC Syndicate, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Gears Ultimate, Borderlands Handsome Collection & Thief to finish. Then Lords of the Fallen is part of XBL Gold for March and is also part of it and backwards compatible. Oh and Heavy Rain comes to PS4 in a week.

Bloody hell. Still haven't finished the Master Chief Collection.

HardlyCapable13
03-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Seems no MPeeps really picked this one up. Here's my initial thoughts...

I'm about three-four hours in. I was bored almost immediately. What little story there is, is uninteresting. Characters are boring. Everything seems so forced. This should have been a stand alone DLC for FC4 (like Blood Dragon was to FC3). Especially since they used the same map, though reskinned, from FC4.

I do regret purchasing this one digitally (though at discount for the Spring Sale). Doubt I'll finish it. Just hoping it can keep me somewhat interested until the Quantum Break launch.

The series has been going down since FC3. Hopefully they take some time off and can rejuvenate it.

DeadChaos
03-28-2016, 06:08 AM
My thoughts exactly. Although I did not buy this the trailers and gameplay alone looked boring.

HardlyCapable13
03-28-2016, 10:13 AM
My thoughts exactly. Although I did not buy this the trailers and gameplay alone looked boring.

Right. Also, one of the things I've loved about the FC games is how you can approach things with the vast amounts of weapons. Say you want to take a stronghold or camp or whatever. You can set C4 to take out incoming backup, sneak around and silently take guards out with your bow or knife, snipe them from a distance, and if spotted pull out an assault rifle or shot gun and go to town! I get that this is different and applaud the effort, but the club/spear/bow choices get dull quickly.

You may be thinking "well in Skyrim it's virtually the same". Well yes, though you have a vast amount of spells to choose from as well. But this if a Far Cry game. That is an Elder Scrolls game. I love the FC games for the guns and explosives and characters (well, in FC3 at least).

Like I said, it all comes down to the fact that this should have been a cheaper standalone expansion like Blood Dragon.

Retro
03-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Should have been a $15 add-on to FC4 or stand alone.

HardlyCapable13
03-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Should have been a $15 add-on to FC4 or stand alone.

Yup. I feel ripped off. I enjoyed Blood Dragon more than this, and it was a $15 stand alone.

But I'll try to force myself through it since I paid the money. Wish I could say the same for The Division... :shocked:

Retro
03-28-2016, 11:19 AM
http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2016/03/03/17/farcryprimalmap.jpg

HardlyCapable13
03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_medium/public/thumbnails/image/2016/03/03/17/farcryprimalmap.jpg

Yup, same map reskinned. Honestly it's the same game, reskinned.