View Full Version : Sony VR - News and Discussion

cmore24
10-30-2015, 04:50 PM
:argue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw6x80Qdzak

I'll have what she is having...

Spike Forehand
03-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Available for pre-order March 22. I'm in like Flynn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAImV0pabQo

Here's an article about the $500 bundle - that'll include Move controllers and the PS camera:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/18/sonys-playstation-vr-headset-bundle-will-cost-500-pre-orders-start-march-22/

Spike Forehand
04-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Somebody is a little excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwim52Xui0c

I missed the pre-orders on Amazon, which apparently sold out in 10 minutes.

Seems like Sony is gonna play the "limited availability" game to drive up demand.

Also - read somewhere that Gamestop will have demo setups starting in June. That's showing some confidence imo.

Spike Forehand
04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
Could VR revive Drive Club? These guys seem pretty excited, but need one of my French Canadian friends to translate :)

Jump to 6:42 for the bit on Drive Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUhwEXFeyE

Retro
04-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Also - read somewhere that Gamestop will have demo setups starting in June. That's showing some confidence imo.

Ewww, I'd stay away. Non-stop parade of fat, pimply basement dwellers wearing that thing and sweating all over it.

Spike Forehand
04-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Ewww, I'd stay away. Non-stop parade of fat, pimply basement dwellers wearing that thing and sweating all over it.

:bounce:

You gotta live dangerously some times.

Major Stains
04-17-2016, 01:29 PM
but need one of my French Canadian friends to translate :)

Wait! I'll get the Mounties Hat as it comes with a built in translator...

TonkaToys
04-20-2016, 10:16 AM
If you want a laugh, try turning on the subtitles - they start off in Autogenerated French, which you can switch to English...

Here are some excerpts,

"ddv bubble kind of dolls you control one has in fact one can possess"

"Generally to personally know with the helmet on the head there is nothing after this snub that actually acts as a kind of purpose"

"and now we enter the labour agreement was passed by"

Tee hee

Spike Forehand
06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Been watching some of the VR reactions from E3 and the reviews are looking pretty good.

Looks like Sony is also introducing a new controller to go along with VR shooters called the PSVR Aim. This video shows it in action. At 2:10 they show how the ADS works, and at 5:10 they talk some more about how well it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3aeMs3s9mk

One thing I won't be getting is Resident Evil 7 in VR. This looks like it should come with a pack of Depends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VwhU9U47wE

GRRowl74
06-23-2016, 12:17 PM
VR horror games may be the leading cause of death in the gaming community in few years. Wow, that is just awesome.

TonkaToys
06-23-2016, 03:21 PM
VR looks interesting, but it is going to be quite pricey.

Spike Forehand
07-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Article about the Tomb Raider PS4 release including a level designed for PSVR.

The level will allow you to explore an iconic Tomb Raider location: Croft Manor. This gigantic mansion belongs to series protagonist Lara Croft and has starred in countless games before. In VR, the level can be played in first-person and also features an ‘undead invasion’ challenge in which you must defend the site from incoming hordes.

http://uploadvr.com/ps4-version-rise-tomb-raider-come-playstation-vr-mission/

In addition, as shown at E3, Rocksteady will be releasing a short "VR Experience" Batman game at time of PSVR launch:

Throughout the experience, I found myself smiling like an idiot. Each previous Arkham game has been jokingly referred to as a "Batman simulator" by fans, so it wasn't until I donned the Batsuit and investigated a crime scene in VR that it felt like I was actually in the Caped Crusader's boots.

A studio spokesperson at E3 said the full experience would take around two to three hours once the game launches this October, but when I asked about pricing, he said that hadn't been finalized yet. Hopefully, publisher Warner Bros. Interactive will make this a free update for existing Arkham owners or season-pass holders. For people who don't care for the traditional Arkham games but want to role-play as the World's Greatest Detective in VR, it should price it at $10 or under.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/19/batman-arkham-vr-hands-on/

Lastly, in this interview with the guy from No Man's Sky, at 3:30 he says something along the lines of "It might be cool to be able to find special planets that you could explore in VR". So - my thinking is that for NMS we may see at some point in the game a planet or location that can be experienced in VR, but not the whole game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wNseDGYVBc

Overall, it certainly seems like a lot of the early PSVR games are likely to be smaller and shorter experiences, or else more arcade-ish games (like the previously discussed itt Battlezone) with single arenas. Probably gonna be a while before we see larger more in depth games.

I am heading to Best Buy tomorrow to demo a PSVR and will post a trip report afterward.

DeadChaos
07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
Looking forward to Tomb Raider....no VR though. I'd rather buy another console instead of VR.

GRRowl74
07-21-2016, 01:45 PM
I feel quite confident VR will be a game changer for the whole entertainment industry, when it gets some momentum.

HardlyCapable13
07-21-2016, 02:02 PM
I feel quite confident VR will be a game changer for the whole entertainment industry, when it gets some momentum.

Do you mean for the home market as well? Just my opinion, but I think it's just going to be a fad for the home market. I do see it blowing up in other areas though.

Eager to hear Spike's review.

GRRowl74
07-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Do you mean for the home market as well? Just my opinion, but I think it's just going to be a fad for the home market. I do see it blowing up in other areas though.

Eager to hear Spike's review.

Will take a bit longer on the home market, but yes, definately. Think about it: virtual visits to the hotel room for your vacation planning, web shopping for clothes, think movies in 3D is cool, how bout movies in VR? Both fiction and documentary would be interesting. And of course games.

Starting out, it will be a fun gadget for the filthy rich to play around with - but there's a potential there for a near total immersion experience. One thing is the game genres we already know - but think of the ones we don't. Tilt Brush is one example of how games in VR can be so totally different from what we're used to. It's the indie game developers VR revolution I'm waiting for :)

And of course, I'll enjoy the heck out of the mainstream hits like BF VR and R6 VR [emoji16], not to mention great adaptions like Shadow of the Colossus VR and Red Dead Redemption VR. [emoji16] A man can dream, right?

I'm counting on BF VR hooked to a treadmill to finally get me in shape! I always get left behind on base with no ride in conquest, having to leg it to the nearest battle, all that running might finally do me some good![emoji6][emoji324]

HardlyCapable13
07-21-2016, 06:35 PM
I get what you're saying, but to me (might be super majority) I hate 3D movies, and am not interested in all of having VR in my home. I like to watch movies the regular way, and when I'm gaming I don't like to be so detached that I can't see what's going on around me (family member, pet, beer level, intruder). :lol:

Again, I think it's cool for certain markets (like my brothers FBI training, I posted a thread on that). I'm just not seeing it for the home market, but, as stated before, that's just me.

GRRowl74
07-22-2016, 01:10 AM
I like to watch movies the regular way, and when I'm gaming I don't like to be so detached that I can't see what's going on around me (family member, pet, beer level, intruder). :lol:

You have a good point there - (and this is why "traditional" console gaming will have a market for a long time after VR takes off) gaming/movie watching can be, and maybe should be, a social event. Only it isn't, is it? At least not all the time, and with personal entertainment gadgets like pads, phones, DS'es and Vitas paving the way, not to mention console/pc online gaming - putting the social factor _into_ the game, rather than outside of it - I definately see a market for it.

Some game developers consider the social factor, and makes games which display a 2D version of the game on the tv screen for your mates to watch while you play. You can easily imagine taking this a step further, like in COD coop missions - with one player piloting a chopper on screen while supporting a soldier on the ground in VR.

But mainly it's about all the things I can't imagine. Yet. :)

DeadChaos
07-22-2016, 04:05 AM
I wouldn't mind trying VR before I judge it but I still can't see myself investing in it. As HC mentioned I will feel most uncomfortable not knowing what is going on around me which is one of the reasons I do not own a headset. I understand the sound effects are amazing when all outside noise are blocked out but I'm too paranoid not being able to hear my kids and the normal house "sounds" that indicates everything is fine and normal if that makes sense. I have a 3D TV with the glasses and only used it once, much rather watch movies the normal way.

Spike Forehand
07-22-2016, 07:44 AM
I have a 3D TV with a couple of movies and I also played the entirety of Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3, as it was one of the few full games released in 3D. Despite that, I haven't touched 3D at home at all in the past year or so. It just wasn't that good imo. It's kind of fun to demo for friends and and hear them ooh and aah over it, but that doesn't last long. I generally don't go see the 3D version of a movie in the theater as the glasses they give out generally annoy me.

Despite that, I'm leaning towards taking the plunge into VR pending the demo I get at Best Buy later today. The possibilities and the highly positive reactions to the demos have me convinced that it's a very interesting new piece of tech - or at least something to get my friends to ooh and aah over again - lol.

Perhaps 5 years from now it'll be as dead as 3DTV is now for gaming, or maybe we'll be on the next gen of consoles, VR headsets, and immersive games and everyone will have one. Or maybe the future is somewhere in between - with VR devotees and non-devotees both being serviced by the industry. Will be interesting to watch.

ROW
07-22-2016, 08:06 AM
I have a 3D TV with a couple of movies and I also played the entirety of Uncharted 3 in 3D on the PS3, as it was one of the few full games released in 3D. Despite that, I haven't touched 3D at home at all in the past year or so. It just wasn't that good imo. It's kind of fun to demo for friends and and hear them ooh and aah over it, but that doesn't last long. I generally don't go see the 3D version of a movie in the theater as the glasses they give out generally annoy me.

Despite that, I'm leaning towards taking the plunge into VR pending the demo I get at Best Buy later today. The possibilities and the highly positive reactions to the demos have me convinced that it's a very interesting new piece of tech - or at least something to get my friends to ooh and aah over again - lol.

Perhaps 5 years from now it'll be as dead as 3DTV is now for gaming, or maybe we'll be on the next gen of consoles, VR headsets, and immersive games and everyone will have one. Or maybe the future is somewhere in between - with VR devotees and non-devotees both being serviced by the industry. Will be interesting to watch.

i have had, 3d tv from the start .. when it first started it was a novelty ! i have lots of 3d movies , but none of them anygood to watch , as they never followed 3d up, with any quality movies ! i also played unchartered 3 and crysis 3 on ps3 can't remember anymore 3d games released on ps3 ' I know you can play zen pinball 2 and maybe 1 or 2 others now on ps4 .. but yeah ' 3ds been finished for a long time !

DeadChaos
07-22-2016, 08:52 AM
That reminds me, only game I played in 3D is Killzone 3.

HardlyCapable13
07-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Yeah, it will be a fun ride for sure. In my eyes, it will be like motion gaming; be hugely popular for a few years, then kind of die away. I do think it will be successful in other areas, however. Just not the home base.

Spike Forehand
07-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Trip Report

Best Buy in Wilmington, DE Friday July 22

Showed up at Best Buy at around 1:45 for what was suppsed to be a 1PM start of the demos. Unfortunately, the PSVR guy is nowhere to be seen. We linger around a bit playing with laptops and cell phones for a bit, until he finally showed at around 2:15. He told me setup would be about 15 minutes. Half hour later he was finally ready to go.

We were the only people there to look at the PSVR despite it being BB's "Black Friday in July" day.

My daughter was up first, and she did the shark cage demo, which is basically just you being submerged in a shark cage and stuff swims around you. Eventually, a shark shows up and starts chewing on the cage.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/spike4hand/D6828AC2-88CD-4E3E-B786-6DFD4C6DA857_zpsrab31a3e.jpg

My daughter lasted through most of the demo, but did tap out when the shark ripped the door off the cage. She came away saying it was really cool, but a little creepy.

I was next up, and I wanted to play something with controls involved, so I went with the Battlezone tank game.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/spike4hand/8A50B81A-4FC2-4A77-B768-092B07295BA7_zpsxt7dlmnx.jpg http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/spike4hand/FACCC840-A3C5-4711-882E-7C831BDCDB31_zpsvjys5xmk.jpg

I first tried the fit with both glasses on and off, and ended up deciding to go with glasses off, although it was pretty amazing how well the headset fit whether I had them on or not. (I have very slight near sightedness - -1.25 - so I usually only wear them when gaming in my home theater, driving, or at a sporting event or something where I need distance vision.). Bottom line - I didn't notice much difference but would need to play both for longer to make a final decision.

As soon as you pull the headset on it's pretty impressive how natural it feels and how much it feels like you've been transported into another environment. I looked to my left where I knew my family was standing, but just saw the inside of my tank. No lag, no latency, no weird double vision like you may see sometimes when watching 3D. It looks completely, totally natural. Not photorealistic necessarily - as you are limited to the graphics of the program which in Battlezone were typical 1080p video game quality - but "natural" in that the movement of your head makes your mind believe it's the environement your are sitting in - not something being displayed on a screen - if that makes any sense.

One of the weirdest things of all is to look down and not see your legs. I've heard others say that too, but didn't really make sense until it happened to me. In the tank, you look down and see floor petals and everything, but your legs aren't there. It just doesn't make sense to your mind for the lower half of your body to be gone, but it is. Similarly, in the Battlezone game, if you bring the controller up in front of your face, you see the controller (or a graphical representation of it anyway), at same size, and angle as you are actually holding it, but you don't see your hands holding it. It's very bizarre.

It's also really amazing how comfortable the headset is. It sounds weird, but i didn't really notice it until after I took it off, when I could tell I had a bit of "helmet hair". The padding inside is very nice and the balance of the headset on your head was very natural. The very soft padding around your eyes blocks all external light. Worth noting that you don't have full peripheral vision - the outer limits are definitely blocked. It's almost like you're looking through a pretty broad pair of safety goggles. Not a limited field of view by any stretch, but you won't necessarily be "catching things in the corner of your eye."

The first thing I asked the guy to do was turn up the sound, as it wasn't nearly loud enough for my tastes as I was still hearing store sounds despite using the provided headphones. While he never got it truly loud enough for my tastes, it was good enough for the demo. (I will likely just stick with the 7.1 surround that already exists in my home theater, but I imagine some good Turtle Beach's would be ideal). Worth noting that the design is well suited to headphones and is made so that there is no interference. You put the headset on first, then headphones.

As for the game itself it's a pretty decent arcade shooter where you have both a machine gun and rocket launcher, and must shoot other tanks, fixed turrets, flying drones, and eventually this kind of weird flock of birds that are chasing you. You use the left stick for aiming your gun and the right stick for moving the tank, and the R2 button to fire. I had the hang of it almost instantly.

What's kind of cool and I never really thought of before is that your head almost acts like a third joystick. The game requires you to look around to find targets and then rotate the gun into position and fire. The motion of the tank was two dimensional, but there were some ramps that you could go up and down to other levels. It was only when I went up and down these ramps that my brain had a momentary blip of "dizzy" feeling. I think my body was expecting to feel something and when it didn't happen it struck me. It only happened the one time and at no other time did I feel any physical effects.

Bottom line for me is that it was a super unique experience, very immersive and I'm excited to see what game designers can do with it. Done deal that I will be getting one on launch day or thereabouts depending on availability.

I highly recommend that you get out to a demo if you can. You can find demo locations (Best Buys and Game Stops in the US) through this link:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

You Brits can apparently sign up to find out about dates here:

http://trypsvr.com/en_GB

I may stop back by on Sunday to try one of the other titles - I want to try the space combat one - Eve Valkyrie - to see how barrel rolls feel.

GRRowl74
07-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Spike - great review! Sounds awesome, can't wait to try it.

HardlyCapable13
07-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Awesome Spike! Thanks for taking the time for the detailed review!

TheRugbyGod
07-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Great review Spike....I'm going to give it whirl...what else could I spend $500 bucks on...lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

DeadChaos
07-26-2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the review Spike, it sounds interesting indeed. I registered for a VR event and the next one in the UK is 22-25 September which is already fully booked so hopefully there will be another one closer or after launch.

Spike Forehand
08-18-2016, 04:37 PM
OK - I just got wood. Only problem is that now I also gotta get a driving wheel and pedals in addition to PSVR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkPSZMFYSzk

Spike Forehand
08-18-2016, 04:44 PM
And another glowing article:

Driveclub VR just made me a whole lot better at racing games, and I barely had to try (http://www.gamesradar.com/driveclub-vr-just-made-me-a-whole-lot-better-at-racing-games-and-i-barely-had-to-try/)

Here's the best quote:

I start looking into curves way in advance, by just turning my head and leaning into where I'm going. I stop looking for apexes and calculating cornering angles like I'm playing some kind of video game. I stop looking at the car’s noise as an indicator of how far over or under I'm steering. I just start driving a car. Because I can do that in real life, and so I can do it in VR too. And suddenly I'm really good at Driveclub.

I can drive, so I can play Driveclub VR. But I can't drive nonsensically expensive sports cars around Mediterranean coastal overlooks like expense and mortality are no consideration. Except that now I pretty much can. Sort of.

Because Driveclub VR is very good VR.

HardlyCapable13
08-18-2016, 04:47 PM
That sounds amazing for Gran Turismo! This may push me to buy the VR (and a wheel/pedal setup, of course).

TonkaToys
08-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Wow - it really looked like that guy was fully immersed in it; the instinctive mirror checks just show how much he believed he was in a car.

GRRowl74
08-24-2016, 08:56 AM
This. This is why I love VR even before I've tried it. It won't happen instantly, it will take some time - much like the internet has weaved its way into almost everything we do - VR will change the way the world works. Driving games, pilot games - these will lead the way. The rest is history - in the making.

HardlyCapable13
08-24-2016, 11:02 AM
This. This is why I love VR even before I've tried it. It won't happen instantly, it will take some time - much like the internet has weaved its way into almost everything we do - VR will change the way the world works. Driving games, pilot games - these will lead the way. The rest is history - in the making.

Well, it already has; it's been around for a long time. Just not in the public sector.

My brother trained with VR during FBI training. They were backpack supported. So you wore those and were in a huge empty warehouse. The VR initiated scenerios in front of it, and fully worked with dummy guns. He said it was amazing (and this was 5-6 years ago).

Spike Forehand
08-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Finally checked out this reddit thread with the number of PSVR compatible games on the horizon. 46 at launch and 168 total announced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/4ukbdq/confirmed_playstationvr_games/

Lots of what looks like shovel-ware, but some interesting stuff:

Gran Turismo Sport - Will be watching this once carefully to see if it matches the glowing reports on Driveclub VR and may get this instead if it is better.

The Golf Club - Not sure how a golf game would fare in VR. Hope they don't make it so you have to swing the move controllers or something - that would be really wii-ish and stupid imo. But the added depth perception and stuff of having to line up your shots yourself without all the cameras and stuff of a typical golf game could be challenging and interesting.

Farpoint - space/shooter game with a lot of buzz in the VR community. I think I posted something about this one earlier in this thread - will be compatible with the PSVR Aim controller. (Finally an improvement on the old duck hunt gun that came with SNES?)

SW Battlefront X-wing VR Mission - Announced that this is free for those who bought SWBF. Woot! Probably a good thing cause it's just a single mission.

The Assembly - some kind of weird psychological/sci-fi thriller announced for both PS4 and PSVR. Not sure what you are supposed to do, but the trailer is cool looking in a "Black Mirror" kinda way.

Resident Evil 7 - Already mentioned here. I want to play, but I don't want to play. Chances that I'll shit my pants? 65%

Ace Combat 7 - Combat flight sim developed specifically for PSVR. Chances that I'll throw up: 35%

Adr1ft - space survival game that is already out with bad reviews, but many of the PC ones tout it as a great VR game. Brings up an interesting point in what is likely to be a difference between VR games and regular games is length of game. Since many of the launch titles look much shorter than typical AAA games, will be interesting to see whether games are graded differently if they are VR only vs. both VR and non-VR versions.

Robinson: The Journey - 1st person sci-fi adventure where you are stranded on a planet with dinosaurs. Looks open-world-ish - which is different from what all the other VR games look like.

Links to trailers for these are in the reddit post I linked above.

TonkaToys
08-26-2016, 11:54 AM
This IGN guy thinks the Star Wars VR experience was so good that he is keeping his PSVR pre-order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJEQv6yHHY

He talks about it being really immersive.

HardlyCapable13
08-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Though I'm sure I'll get it since I throw money at this hobby like I can't get rid of it quick enough, I'm not a fan of the price point. Espeically, since in my eyes it will be a passing fad.

TonkaToys
08-26-2016, 12:19 PM
By now you know I've got the willpower of ... erm... something that hasn't got much willpower :noidea: so I'll probably cave and get it.
But, I'm going to try to hold out for a bit until I see whether it is going to take off or not.
Maybe Christmas or my birthday in April.

HardlyCapable13
08-26-2016, 12:23 PM
By now you know I've got the willpower of ... erm... something that hasn't got much willpower :noidea: so I'll probably cave and get it.
But, I'm going to try to hold out for a bit until I see whether it is going to take off or not.
Maybe Christmas or my birthday in April.

Agreed. There's no way I'm getting in 2016. Way too many titles coming out this year to give the VR any love. And at a price point of entry (for me) of $500, I will hold off for a price drop.

Spike Forehand
08-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Agreed. There's no way I'm getting in 2016. Way too many titles coming out this year to give the VR any love. And at a price point of entry (for me) of $500, I will hold off for a price drop.

I'm still planning on a launch purchase - or whenever I can get one without having to line up overnight - lol - as I usually buy myself one nice piece of gaming, computer, or home theater gear each year and this was gonna be it for 2016. However, now my other shit is starting to go - laptop, ipad, etc. So I'm trying to decide what to prioritize.

TonkaToys
08-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Spike - you gotta get it, so that we can have an honest opinion!

Major Stains
09-04-2016, 01:40 PM
The best PlayStation VR games are en route

Click quote below for TechRadar article...

We couldn't be more excited about Sony's PlayStation VR. The prospect of having a complete virtual reality experience powered by a console rather than a beastly gaming PC has the potential to bring the wonders of VR to a completely new audience.

But aside from the prospect of affordable VR hardware, what most excites us is the prospect of all those games Sony and its partners are planning on bringing to it.

Sony is already the publisher behind many of the best PS4 games, and we're excited to see what it brings to the VR table.

We've had a chance to try out almost all of the biggest games set to come out on the new headset, and we've compiled a list of our favorites for you over the following pages. (http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/the-best-games-for-playstation-vr-1306364)

Spike Forehand
09-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Stolen from Rugby's Facebook feed:

https://i.imgur.com/vlTYp1d.jpg

Spike Forehand
09-22-2016, 03:59 PM
And - for when I'm done shitting:

The New Area X in ‘Rez Infinite’ is so Beautiful It’s Making People Cry in PS VR (Update) (http://uploadvr.com/rez-infinite-area-x-ps-vr/)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAPyCH4FlwU

From the video, I don't really get it but I might need to get one of these arty "fly around and be amazed" titles to find out.

TonkaToys
09-23-2016, 04:49 AM
Yeah - I read about that on Ars Technica and the reviewer was weeping and hugging the developer by the end... I just didn't get it, but it must be one of those "got to experience it to believe it" type games.

Another VR game that looks cool is Tomb Raider... yep, you get to play as Lara (I don't know if there is an option for patting yourself down to check for injuries, but I think they should add one).

We’re standing a few feet into Croft Manor’s wine cellar and are hesitant to move another step. Our surroundings are dank, dark. A single small window at the corridor’s end fails to illuminate the bowels of Lara’s childhood home. Shadows and cobwebs are everywhere. A shiver involuntarily runs down our spine. Truthfully? We’re a little scared.

Such is the immersive power of PlayStation VR.

Vault over this bannister for more reading.
(http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/09/23/walking-in-laras-world-exploring-tomb-raider-in-playstation-vr/)

On a side note... Tomb Raider is 20 years old now!
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/09/rise-tomb-raider-20-anniversary-dlc-preview/

DeadChaos
09-23-2016, 05:36 AM
PS VR demo is coming to London in October. Was ready to book my slot until I saw it's over an hour travelling for a 30 minute slot, I'll pass this one.

TonkaToys
09-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Were you looking at the Old Street location? Or are there different ones?

DeadChaos
09-23-2016, 10:10 AM
That's the one: Kachette, 347 Old Street, London EC1V 9LP, United Kingdom.

1h24min by public transport and I'm not sure what the parking situation is by car. Seems to much hassle especially if you don't like traveling in London like me.

TonkaToys
09-23-2016, 10:42 AM
Well if you fancy making a night of it, I'll meet up with you there then we can go to the pub after.

DeadChaos
09-23-2016, 02:04 PM
Just checked the slots and it does not seem there is anything available for the Saturday or Sunday, nothing happens when I click on it, only Thursday and Friday which is not possible as I will be at work.

https://psvr-events.software.eu.playstation.com/en_GB/slots/221

Do you live nearby?

Spike Forehand
09-23-2016, 02:26 PM
If any of you brits want to order, it appears some on reddit were able to get the bundle ordered through shopto.net:

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4AC241-sony-playstation-vr-psvr-camera

One guy said he didn't believe it so they called them and they confirmed over the phone that Sony released some stock to them.

Still - I wouldn't believe everything you read on reddit so buyer beware I guess. Is that a familiar on-line retailer for you guys?

Spike Forehand
09-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Interesting VR piece by Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_aU-P022g0

TonkaToys
09-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Do you live nearby?

I work at Blackfriars

Spike Forehand
09-28-2016, 04:28 PM
Another launch title that I hadn't heard about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjqvGG2pvxY

This looks more interesting to me than Resident Evil 7.

I guess I have to have at least one horror game in the collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk75B3o5xsk

Spike Forehand
09-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Some more PSVR demo dates for your Brits in this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/551j6e/psvr_demos_at_edinburgh_hull_newcastle_westfield/

GAME Demo Locations Dates and Times

Please check availability to times and book on www.trypsvr.com before you go. Some time slots may already be fully booked or vary by day.
Place Date Times (dependant on availability)
Edinburgh 1st - 6th October 9:30 - 17:30
Hull 1st - 6th October 9:30 - 17:00
Metro Centre, Gateshead 1st - 6th October 10:30 - 20:30
Trafford Centre, Manchester 7th - 13th October 10:30 - 21:00
Westfield White City, London 7th - 13th October FULLY BOOKED
Telford 7th - 13th October 9:30 - 17:00
Other Demo Events

Place Date Times (dependant on availability)
Buchanan Galleries, Glasgow 29th September - 2nd October Thursday & Friday, 10am - 9pm, Saturday, 9am - 7pm, Sunday, 10am - 7pm. Walk in slots available
Meadowhall, Sheffield 6th - 9th October Thursday & Friday, 10am - 9pm, Saturday, 9am - 8pm, Sunday, 11am - 5pm
Kachette, Shoreditch, London 12th - 16th October Thursday & Friday, 11am - 9pm, Saturday, 9am - 9pm, Sunday, 10am - 5pm
Cabot Circus, Bristol 20th - 23rd October Thursday, Friday & Saturday, 10am, Sunday, 11am - 5pm
Sackville Street, Manchester 27th - 30th October Friday & Saturday, Noon - 9pm, Saturday, 9am - 10pm, Sunday, 9am - 6pm

Spike Forehand
09-29-2016, 09:02 AM
"Sports Bar VR" launch title announced.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/29/good-times-and-a-sticky-floor-in-sportsbarvr-out-october-13-on-ps-vr/?adbsc=social_20160929_66404376&adbid=781479554120417280&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

Hello from the SportsBarVR dev team! During the development of SportsBarVR, something that has surprised and delighted us is discovering just how social VR can be, and how mixing that social feeling with insane, bottle throwing, chair smashing fights is pretty much the best thing ever.

We are super excited to announce SportsBarVR, co-developed by Cherry Pop Games & Perilous Orbit. We’re bringing an awesome set of bar games, an incredible pool simulation, and a sports bar overflowing with fun and silly interactivity to PlayStation VR this fall.

You may know us from our past title Pool Nation VR, and we’re excited to bring everything great about that game, plus a whole new truckload of features into SportsBarVR. We have the same great pool physics, but now we’ve added six-player, multiplayer VR hangouts and more than seven pub games in the bar with more to come in future updates.
We’ve had some intense air hockey matches around the office, and while I’ve lost every time, it’s nice to be able to relax and play a game of chess in VR with a friend in a quiet corner of the bar.

One thing we keep finding again and again is how entirely wonderful it is just to be able to hang out in a virtual bar doing “real things.” And since the virtual drinks are free and the janitor seems to not mind cleaning up countless shards of broken glass, it’s all good fun. In both single- and multiplayer, there’s something awesome about having your own carefree, grounded, and immersive VR space (even if the floor’s a bit sticky).

Having a full range of games in the bar really lets you explore a lot of VR interactions and levels of gameplay intensity. Focused turn-based games like chess, checkers, and our staple, pool, let you take a calm but still physical approach to VR gaming,while games like Air Hockey provide fast back and forth fun.
At launch date we have:
Pool
Darts
Air Hockey
Skeeball
Shuffleboard
Chess
Checkers
With more to come after launch!
During development, it’s been awesome to see players and testers invent new games inside SportsBarVR… from impromptu baseball (by swinging at bottles with pool cues), to tower building competitions with books, chairs, and dominoes. It’s been awesome to rapidly react to what we see players wanting, and we’re so excited to continue learning from our players and improving SportsBarVR post-release as we have our previous game. Seeing six players all in a fiercely precise game of darts, or everyone heckling one another in a heated match of skeeball just continues to show us the power of social VR and how one player’s fun brings up the level of enjoyment for everyone around them!

We’re proud and crazy excited to be a part of the first wave of PS VR titles when we launch on October 13 and can’t wait for you to try out SportsBarVR!

Would be fun to get 4-5 MP's in a room to shoot some pool and then have a bottle fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4eXHopp89s

DeadChaos
09-29-2016, 02:08 PM
and after a couple of beers you end up falling over the lounge table :lol:

Spike Forehand
09-29-2016, 05:47 PM
So - today Target suddenly showed some pre-order inventory. I was slow pony in noticing it in the reddit thread, but regardless was able to place an order these evening through the target app (but not via the web page interestingly enough) with a shipping date of "Oct 14-19".

Still haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail from target though, so I'm skeptical.

If anyone else is interested, here's the reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/552lww/target_bundle_stock_available/?sort=new

HardlyCapable13
09-29-2016, 05:56 PM
"Sports Bar VR" launch title announced.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/29/good-times-and-a-sticky-floor-in-sportsbarvr-out-october-13-on-ps-vr/?adbsc=social_20160929_66404376&adbid=781479554120417280&adbpl=tw&adbpr=10671602

Would be fun to get 4-5 MP's in a room to shoot some pool and then have a bottle fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4eXHopp89s

The floating helmet/hats with VR glasses is odd and creepy. :lol:

Seems like you should be able to make an avatar or something.

Spike Forehand
09-29-2016, 06:04 PM
The floating helmet/hats with VR glasses is odd and creepy. :lol:

Seems like you should be able to make an avatar or something.

Yeah - I thought that was weird too. Seems like a bit of a shortcut to not be able to have a body drawn. Guess part of the reason is cause the PSVR itself only tracks head movement and movement of the controllers - so that's all they show. Still it seems like you could have just attached some hands/arms to the controller and then have those attach to a body below the head.

HardlyCapable13
09-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Yeah - I thought that was weird too. Seems like a bit of a shortcut to not be able to have a body drawn. Guess part of the reason is cause the PSVR itself only tracks head movement and movement of the controllers - so that's all they show. Still it seems like you could have just attached some hands/arms to the controller and then have those attach to a body below the head.

That makes sense I guess. But yeah, seems like they could have done something better. Tech is still young though.

Spike Forehand
09-30-2016, 07:34 AM
Brings up an interesting question.

One of the coolest applications for VR is for people to interact with others in a virtual space like this. But the vision would be that those people's entire bodies would be rendered. However - as I think about it, I'm not sure that I have yet seen this in a video for a game.

I have seen the player's body rendered on a screen - but not other players in a shared VR space.

Can anyone think of an example where they've seen this? We certainly see it all the time in non-VR games.. I see other players turn, ADS, shoot, then run over and teabag me all the time. :boom:

HardlyCapable13
09-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Brings up an interesting question.

One of the coolest applications for VR is for people to interact with others in a virtual space like this. But the vision would be that those people's entire bodies would be rendered. However - as I think about it, I'm not sure that I have yet seen this in a video for a game.

I have seen the player's body rendered on a screen - but not other players in a shared VR space.

Can anyone think of an example where they've seen this? We certainly see it all the time in non-VR games.. I see other players turn, ADS, shoot, then run over and teabag me all the time. :boom:

Not VR, but it works like that with Kinect. I think the only way it would be possible and render the body accurate to the users motion is a combination of the VR and Kinect tech.

DeadChaos
10-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Playstation VR - Review

http://youtu.be/lV-PF8I71ns

IGN

http://youtu.be/wX8wlviCYIE

TonkaToys
10-07-2016, 06:19 AM
New Eve trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4i4vfW0IN0

Interesting to note that you can cross-play PSVR Eve with PC users.

Spike Forehand
10-08-2016, 01:18 PM
New Eve trailer

Yeah - I think I want that. Will wait for reviews though for sure. Right now I'm leaning towards getting Battlezone, the Batman VR game, and this one as initial launch titles along with Playstation Worlds (that will come in the launch bundle) and SWBF X-wing mission that is free DLC.

Bad news for me is that my Target PSVR launch bundle pre-order got cancelled. It felt fishy at the time since you could place the order via the app but not via the web site. Good news is that Target gave me a consolation $100 gift card - so it's all OK and a helluva nice gesture by Target. Great company.

So - I'm back to having to have a strategy to getting one around launch day. It looks like a lot of stores will have inventory - there's lots of pics on reddit showing pallets of them in stock rooms - but I hate waiting in line for hours or anything like that so we'll see what happens. I'll probably do a midnight drive by the local midnight-launch GameStop and the 24-hr Walmart to see what lines look like vs. inventory and also spamming Amazon to see if they open up any on-line orders.

It looks like outside the US that a lot of retailers are taking orders again, so that bodes well.

In other PSVR prep news, I had to rearrange my home theater a bit. I need to move my PS4 from the equipment rack at the back of the room to the front of the room because the PS4 camera cable can't reach from the front to the back. So - I need to run a new 50' HDMI cable from the front to the back and then also put in a small table to hold the PS4 since right now there is no furniture at the front of the room.

Still toying with the idea of getting a driving wheel for Drive Club VR, but again I'm applying what I learned from the NMS calamity and waiting for reviews to make buy decisions. To pay for that one, I discovered that I got some Amex rewards points that I can use to alleviate spousal consent issues. :)

The things we do for gaming......

Major Stains
10-08-2016, 02:41 PM
Sorry to read about your preorder bundle, but what a great bit of customer care to soften the blow with a $100 sweetener.

And a 50' HDMI cable???? Dayum, that would stretch to my shed and back! Lol

Spike Forehand
10-11-2016, 03:47 PM
So - good news is that I was at a industry meeting yesterday, surreptitiously surfing reddit on my phone during the boring morning session, when I noticed a post on reddit that Dell was releasing some pre-orders as part of their Columbus Day sale. I immediately made an excuse and beelined for my room, fired up the laptop, and was able to get a pre-order in. Schweeet!

So - I now have one set to ship on the 13th with 1-day shipping. So glad I don't have to go through the hassle of trying to be at the midnight launches or stores or whatever. Hopefully I'll get it by Friday.

Meanwhile, this afternoon I'm on Amazon and I'm eyeballing a Logitech G29 force feedback driving wheel and the adjustable wheel stand to go with it:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81gKqISYLEL._SL1500_.jpg https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51vww4D-CBL.jpg

BINGO!!! So now that stuff is on the way as well.

Next step is to use my $100 target gift card to get Driveclub VR along with something else.

XMAS/BDAY in October for me.

HardlyCapable13
10-11-2016, 04:13 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51vww4D-CBL.jpg

I like it! I would prefer the wheel in on the stand as it has a full on gear box shifter (instead of only paddle shifters).

Congrats on securing your order.

DeadChaos
10-12-2016, 06:13 AM
Who wants this for their lounge??

"A giant PlayStation VR has been erected at London Kings Cross Station. While you'd be mistaken for thinking it had been specially made for The BFG, it's actually part of Sony's marketing campaign to promote the launch of the headset."

http://thumbs.candybanana.com/YFRnme21zzgWB9DmWmQFxjBUKLw=/1280x720/smart/https://s.candybanana.com/images/b339/ff0599d8-57a2-4475-ae9c-990d464b2b18_ps_vr_kings.jpg

https://www.videogamer.com/news/flipping-massive-playstation-vr-erected-in-london

DeadChaos
10-12-2016, 07:07 AM
"Rise Of The Tomb Raider - Explore Croft Manor in PS VR!"

http://youtu.be/GAqh_OVBWh0

TonkaToys
10-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Who wants this for their lounge??

"A giant PlayStation VR has been erected at London Kings Cross Station. While you'd be mistaken for thinking it had been specially made for The BFG, it's actually part of Sony's marketing campaign to promote the launch of the headset."

https://www.videogamer.com/news/flipping-massive-playstation-vr-erected-in-london

I didn't see that this morning! I'm going through there tonight, so might be a little late home :wink:

DeadChaos
10-12-2016, 09:07 AM
"The Assembly – Launch Trailer | PS VR"

http://youtu.be/5G090NnOUOM

Spike Forehand
10-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I like it! I would prefer the wheel in on the stand as it has a full on gear box shifter (instead of only paddle shifters).

You can add a gear box shifter as a separate add-on for like $60, so I figured I would try the paddle shifters first and then decide if I want to add on the gear box.

Just got my shipping notification from Dell and my PSVR will be arriving tomorrow. And guess who took vacation on Friday?

I'll post my initial review for MP's during a break on Friday night.

Spike Forehand
10-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Rez Infinite pulling down the highest review scores so far for any PSVR game. 89 amongst reviewers on metacritic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEuL3nZz9_w

Haven't really thought about getting it, but if it's that good I'll give it a shot at $30. Anyone play and Rez games before?

HardlyCapable13
10-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Excited for you Spike!

Get that initial review up as early as possible!

DeadChaos
10-13-2016, 07:21 AM
"Hustle Kings VR | Launch Trailer | PlayStation VR"

http://youtu.be/0mIbquOr7VY

TonkaToys
10-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Review of PSVR exclusives

We've taken a spin through 14 of those launch titles, seeing some of the best and the worst that PlayStation VR has to offer. In the following pages, we'll tell you which games to buy, which games to try—and which games to skip as you build up your library.

We've focused here on games that are exclusive to PlayStation VR, but we've already covered some other PSVR launch titles on other headsets.

Enter your new reality here
(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/10/playstation-vr-game-review-roundup/)

Spike Forehand
10-14-2016, 12:23 PM
Quick Prelim Review of PSVR:

So - I've spent about 3 hrs in VR so far. And I think the terms "In VR" rather than "Playing VR" are absolutely accurate. The level of immersion you get from some of these games is really amazing. This thing is for real, and everyone needs to try it imo.

However, I'm not going to call it a "must buy" for everyone, as it is a pretty expensive piece of kit with some limitations and you have to be OK with that like I am, but I really do think it's a "must try" for everyone.

Here's some highlights from what I've played - in quality order (my opinion) from worst to best:

Driveclub VR - I only played the demo version that comes with the headset, which is just one track, but I think the step-down in graphics is pretty concerning. It just plain doesn't look that good. Now one thing I noticed was that I was streaming while trying it, and I saw an error message saying "the resolution would be lowered during streaming" but I have no idea if they meant the resolution I was seeing through the headset, or what was being broadcast. It was also hurt by having auto-braking and auto-shifting on and the fact that I was driving with the controller - so that certainly detracted from the experience. Not sure if I had the option to turn those off. So - I'll do another trial eventually, but may decide not to pick this up. The temptation will be strong though once I get my driving wheel - which is due for delivery on Monday. I'm gonna check more reviews before totally deciding.

Ocean Descent - This is the shark cage thing (off the VR Worlds demo disc) which is a good VR demo, but not very scary and frankly pretty boring. Graphics were good though. I can't see going through this again, but perhaps using it to show off VR to non-gamers.

Danger Ball - A fun arcade game that's on the VR Worlds disc. It's basically 3D pong, but you just use your line of sight to move the paddle. You can spin the ball and go for interesting bank shots that are really fun. I like this game a lot and can see it as an occasional quick time waster. Doesn't really give you that "wow this is cool" factor like some of the other games, but still very fun and simple to pick up.

Battlezone - I played this in my original Best Buy demo and played the demo version once again which comes on the demo disc. This is a fun arcadey shooter with cool sound. Like Rez Infinite (below), it benefits from the simpler "tron-like" graphics. The tank controls and aiming/firing are completely natural for anyone who's played shooters and teh added 3-D space and the ability to look all around are what make it a really good experience. My only problem with this game is the hefty full $59 price tag. So - I haven't bought it yet and will probably read some reviews to see what else it entails aside from the arena-style missions before deciding.

Rez Infinite - I bought this game based on the glowing reviews and it really is a wow-factor experience. This style graphics works really good with PSVR as it looks fantastic since it's not trying to render that many surfaces or shading or anything. The combo of the music and the very cool shooting mechanic make it a very fun, trippy experience that's almost worth the $30 price tag. Would have been better at $20 or even $15, but still a very solid game. Lot's of replayabilty as you improve over time.

London Heist - (On the VR Worlds disc that comes with the bundle) - I played through this in it's entirety. It's probably not more than 30-40 mins or so, and that was on the hardest "Gangster" difficulty level, but it could have been longer and I just lost track of time. The only section where I had to restart was when firing from the moving car. (Pro Tip - After a few tries I learned the fastest way to take out the vans is to headshot the driver). This game is really, really well done and doesn't strain the technology at all. The graphics/shading are probably PS3 level rather than 1080p PS4 level, but once you get into the game it's fine. The really cool thing about it is the gun-play and the way you can pick things up, reload the gun, and fire. I found myself actually closing one eye when aiming down the sites - lol. When I first got in and started picking stuff up in the very short tutorial section, I stood there throwing stuff around the room and giggling for like 5 mins. The move controllers may look stupid, but they work really good as guns in VR. It feels totally naturally like you are holding a (very light weight) pistol and firing. There's also a scene with a cigar that I won't spoil, but I'll just say make sure that you smoke the cigar. Really well done, but very short game. There are three endings and some achievements that will offer some replayability, but still not a big game.

Batman Arkham VR - I bought this for $20 and it is worth every single penny. I haven't finished it yet, so can't comment on how long it is (reportedly 2 hrs or so), but man is it well made, cool, and fun. Putting on the bat suit and dropping into the bat cave is incredible. It also really integrates the move controllers really well, and you do a lot of picking up stuff and manipulating it - which for some reason just doesn't get old in VR. It's also a really well made game too - as you have to kind of figure out a way through it with investigations and experimenting and you are not led by the nose (like London Heist). The graphics are super smooth despite the level of detail - much better done than London Heist. This is the game that I will use to demo VR for people. It's just so incredible. My only real issue is that the game recommends that you play standing up, so I need to reposition the PS camera when I load it. Not a huge deal, but still a bit of a pain and I don't have a lot of room at the front of my home theater for this, so I am a little scared I'll trip over my recliners - lol. I may be able to find a camera position that works for both standing and sitting, but I need to experiment.

As good as this game and London Heist are, they also illustrate IMO a little of the limitations of PSVR in that you basically stand in one spot in each section of the game. In some scenes in Batman you can jump/teleport from spot to spot, but you don't actually ever walk from spot to spot. Reportedly that's because walking using the controller sticks without the "cockpit" like you see with Battlezone or other VR games is what causes motion sickness. Will be interesting to see how Farpoint - the first PSVR FPS to come out I believe around year end - deals with this.

I still need to try some of the demos - most notably EVE Valkyrie, RIGS, Until Dawn:Rush of Blood, Playroom VR, and Job Simulator. Will report back with more impressions later.

Here's some summary strengths/weaknesses of PSVR IMO:

Strengths:
- very comfortable, easy to adjust headset. You forget it's there. Works will with or w/o glasses. (I am going without currently, but have played with glasses too - don't notice a difference in graphics, but I have a very light prescription at -1.25).
- integrates seamlessly into PS4 - no special hardware/graphics cards/drivers/bios settings/blah-blah-blah
- Move controllers well implemented as your "hands" for picking up, dropping, manipulating, throwing things and shooting. This alone is very fun (which explains the popularity of "Job Simulator")
- So much wow factor - cool piece of tech to show off
- Ooooh - the possibilities
- Hardware works great. Head tracking is spot on with not noticeable lag at all.

Weaknesses:
- graphics a step back from 1080P, but this becomes a secondary concern once you are immersed in a game. Still, I'm not at all sure that we'll ever see a good FPS or Open World RPG type game until we get PSVR 2 with PS5 or something.
- Some games require standing, meaning you have to move the camera around and re-set the headset when switching games.
- If you turn around completely, the system can't see your controllers if they are blocked by your body. However, it's not a big deal and they get picked up again once you face front. Most of the games are aware of this and don't call on you to turn around (exception Batman - which has a scene where they want you to face backward which was surprising, but that scene does not require move controllers in that portion - so it's smart that way I guess.)
- Avoiding motion sickness leads to game limitations that we are not used to as gamers - probably a factor for all VR though.

Overall, I am very excited to have this piece of kit as it opens up another whole new category of interesting gaming. It won't replace my regular gaming - or even be the majority of it - until we get some longer/deeper experiences. Will be interesting to see what comes in the future, and I'm looking forward to lots more. This will not be another kinect/move peripheral.

GRRowl74
10-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Awesome review, Spike, thanks!

Major Stains
10-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Great review thanks Spike. So glad you are liking it.
You are Team MPs Neil Armstrong, our Captain Kirk, boldly going where no MP has gone before. Nice!

Spike Forehand
10-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Some more non-shovel-ware games/demos I tried out:

Driveclub VR - So I decided to get this regardless of the mediocre reviews and reports of people getting motion sickness from it. Problem was I had already gotten delivered a racing wheel and stand so I needed something to try with it. At any rate, the game plays pretty good - smooth and really immersive. You can see the promise of VR racing, but it still needs major improvement to be great. The graphics are completely dumbed down, to the point where the background looks PS2-level. However, you do tend to forget about that once you are in a race, and the cars around you and the cockpit look great. The racing is so much better and more immersive in VR than in regular driving games and you can certainly drive better because of the VR. Fortunately, I did not feel any ill effects beyond some dizziness in the first lap or so that went away once my mind got used to it. After that it seemed fine through an additional 4 races. I never have ever gotten sea sick or any type of motion sickness - despite several pretty rough deep sea tuna fishing trips - so I believe I'm just not that susceptible to it. Those who do get motion sickness may want to avoid. I rank this one as "disappointing but still worth it cause there's not other VR racing yet". There appears to be a lot of depth with a bunch of tracks and cars (forgot to count), and several different track types. Sure hope that Gran Turismo does it better though.

Tumble VR - This is a fantastic $10 puzzle game. Basically you build towers of blocks or other configurations on a VR table in front of you. It works really good - aside from some frustrating occasional loss of controller tracking that I haven't seen in other games. As an engineer, it pushes my puzzle-solving buttons really well and when you are in the game with the puzzle board in front of you it's really a cool environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ18ankzs-8

Thumper VR - Another interesting arcade game with futuristic/trippy graphics that really stand out in VR. They describe it as a "rhythm violence" game, which is pretty accurate. It's hard to describe so here's the trailer. It's very addictive and challenging. I only played the demo off the VR demo disc, but am thinking I may eventually buy - but can't buy it all at once. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThoazvS8_0

Playroom VR - This is a free download from Sony and boy is it amazing. It allows you to play coop with one person in VR and up to 4 others in the room helping out and watching on the screen. There are a bunch of mini-games I haven't attempted yet, but the one that is amazing and can be played solo is "Robot Rescue" and it is basically a 3D platformer in VR. It's very short - you can run through it in like 10 mins - but users are universally raving about it, and a full game version of it could be the VR killer app imo. It really is amazing - here's a video (which doesn't come close to doing it justice). IMO it's this game and Batman VR that are the ones that show off VR the best and reflect a very promising future for VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC1ShGH0FOQ

Overall my positive review of PSVR still stands and I continue to have/discover cool experiences with most of the titles I try. There are some bad ones that I just don't see much in (Alumette and Here They Lie come to mind), but overall more bad than good.

HardlyCapable13
10-18-2016, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the update Spike.

I don't know anything about the tech, so I'm wondering how come they have to dumb down the graphics for titles like DriveClub?

Spike Forehand
10-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the update Spike.

I don't know anything about the tech, so I'm wondering how come they have to dumb down the graphics for titles like DriveClub?

I am not entirely sure, but one theory is to avoid motion sickness - which is being widely reported for Drive Club. Another is that the studio was being shut down so it was rushed and not ported properly.

As I stated in my original review, I believe that all VR is likely to always be hampered by movement issues judging by the types of games we are seeing for VR.

For instance, there is a demo on the disc of "Here They Lie" in which you move with the left stick and look around with your head - walking through hallways. In my limited experience it feels really uncomfortable as a way to move and look around. Not like I was gonna get sick or anything, but almost disorienting and weird. The experience certainly has me doubting the ability of VR to be used in first person shooters or open world RPG's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW7MWcFB6xE

An example of really good VR in a game that still has a lot of "action" is the Robots Rescue game that I talk about above. It's a 3D platformer, but you control the little robot that you see in the video from a third person larger robot's vantage point that kind of floats along behind - not in first person from the little robot itself.

In Batman VR, you are always standing stationary and manipulating things in front of you. Despite that its a great game - super immersive with really cool stuff to do in it - but clearly not an action game.

Of course on the other side are RIGS and Battlezone which are both fast movement mech/vehicle combat games where you sit in a cockpit and movement is controlled just like an FPS, and they look fine in VR with very few people reporting motion sickness. I played the RIGS and Battlezone demos once each (need to try again), and they seem fine.

Here's RIGS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE595mXK9mc

For me - Farpoint (the FPS due around year end) and Gran Turismo will tell us a lot about the potential for VR for shooters and driving games.

Maybe it's us who are the ones who need to be trained to handle VR.

TonkaToys
10-18-2016, 03:24 PM
Good reviews Spike - it will be interesting to see how the games improve as developers get used to the tech.

HardlyCapable13
10-18-2016, 03:26 PM
@Spike, you said the movement with controller and looking with head is awkward.

Do you think it would be better if said game is "on-rails" and moves you automatically? Leaving you to just shoot and use the VR to look around. I'm imagining the arcade games like Jurassic Park and such.

Spike Forehand
10-18-2016, 05:49 PM
@Spike, you said the movement with controller and looking with head is awkward.

Do you think it would be better if said game is "on-rails" and moves you automatically? Leaving you to just shoot and use the VR to look around. I'm imagining the arcade games like Jurassic Park and such.

Absolutely that works better. That's the way Until Dawn:Rush of Blood works. You are in a roller coaster car, and shoot at stuff that rushes at you. No problems at all with that. The roller coaster part going up and down hills gives you a nice rush, but not an awkward weird feeling. Kind of a lame game imo, but it looks and plays fine.

Spike Forehand
10-19-2016, 05:30 PM
A great video about the excellent "Robots Rescue" mini-game within the Playroom VR free download. It explains very well why it works so well in VR compared to other attempts. It was my second favorite experience after Batman VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--uSqwQZUY

Spike Forehand
10-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Quantic Dream playing with VR. Very interesting.

https://uploadvr.com/heavy-rain-developer-quantic-dream-experimenting-vr/

Spike Forehand
10-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Space Rift coming to PSVR on Nov 15. Looks a little like NMS with a story mode. Will look at reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FJqvRyXWuA

TonkaToys
10-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Have you had much time playing PSVR or have you been too busy playing BF1?

HardlyCapable13
10-31-2016, 02:56 PM
Have you had much time playing PSVR or have you been too busy playing BF1?

I'm actually quite surprised at the overall lack of discussion with PSVR. Not just here, but in the industry as a whole.

GRRowl74
10-31-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm actually quite surprised at the overall lack of discussion with PSVR. Not just here, but in the industry as a whole.

Well, don't lay it on me - I'm just sulking because I can't afford it yet. But I agree, it seems eerily quiet. I've read more than once about motion sickness, and that stationary games are best bc they avoid that - but if course stationary games are kind of boring after a while. Certainly if every game is stationary.

I hope it's just a new market stumbling to its feet, not the whole VR World falling VR-goggle-face down in the dirt. I'm rooting for you, VR, hang in there! You can do it!

HardlyCapable13
10-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Well, don't lay it on me - I'm just sulking because I can't afford it yet. But I agree, it seems eerily quiet. I've read more than once about motion sickness, and that stationary games are best bc they avoid that - but if course stationary games are kind of boring after a while. Certainly if every game is stationary.

I hope it's just a new market stumbling to its feet, not the whole VR World falling VR-goggle-face down in the dirt. I'm rooting for you, VR, hang in there! You can do it!

Way to quiet for such a "ground breaking" advancement in console gaming.

Like I have said many times though; I firmly believe VR in the home gaming market is a niche thing that will come and go, like motion gaming.

GRRowl74
10-31-2016, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I know you've said that. I just hope you are wrong ;)

TonkaToys
11-01-2016, 07:27 AM
Lots of discussion at ArsTechnica.com

General recommendation is:
- PSVR for comfort, reliability and affordability.
- Vive for wow factor and immersion.
- Microsoft's new announcement for potentially the market making system

I would love to have a VR system but: cash, game time, first version aversion.

DeadChaos
11-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Sales of Sony's newly launched PlayStation VR headset are "on track," chief financial offer Kenichiro Yoshida said today during the company's earnings briefing.

The reporting period for this latest quarter ended on September 30, which might explain why the company only offered that high level description instead of a firm figure. It doesn't appear that Sony has modeled a sales forecast for PlayStation VR. In fact, PlayStation boss Shuhei Yoshida said in September, "To be honest, we don't know what demand will be."

PlayStation executive Jim Ryan said in October that PlayStation VR is expected to sell "hundreds of thousands" of units at launch. According to research group Superdata, PlayStation VR sales could reach 2.6 million units by the end of the year.

http://static3.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1179/11799911/3151174-vr.jpg

The headset costs $400 on its own and also requires a PlayStation 4 and a PlayStation camera. A $500 PlayStation VR Launch Bundle comes with the headset, a camera, and two Move controllers, as well as the five-game PlayStation VR Worlds collection. All versions of PlayStation VR include a demo disc containing trials for 18 games, including Resident Evil 7.

GameSpot's Jimmy Thang reviewed PlayStation VR, saying it's not a must-buy at the moment.

"As a VR fan, I want PSVR to succeed, but it trips up too many times to wholeheartedly recommend at this point," he wrote. "Many of the launch titles will make a large percentage of people sick, and it may lead to the false impression that VR has to make you nauseated. If you have a PS4 and are dying to get PSVR, then I'd recommend the $499.99 bundle which includes the PlayStation Camera, two Move controllers, and PlayStation VR Worlds.

"If you have a PS4 and are simply curious about VR, I'd hold out until more titles are released. While there are a handful of fun titles, there's nothing that I've played at launch so far to indicate to me that the PSVR is a must-buy right now. For everyone else, I'd recommend saving up for a better reality."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vr-sales-on-track-sony-says/1100-6444989/

Spike Forehand
11-02-2016, 01:11 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-vr-sales-on-track-sony-says/1100-6444989/

Pretty spot on article.

I've spent a fair amount of time in PSVR and had some really amazing moments, some early adopter frustrations, and think the tech has huge promise. I stand by my opinion that while it's not a "must buy" it is a " must try".

The current gen is definitely hampered by the PS4 power, but that doesn't mean that it still doesn't hold promise for the right type of applications.

Batman VR and the playroom mini games "Robots Rescue" were both amazing and if you get a chance to demo a system those are the ones to try. I'm hoping that we see lengthened versions of those titles or one like them. If so, I will gladly buy them.

Spike Forehand
11-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Downloaded and tried out the free COD:IW "Jackal Assault" VR experience last night.

This is really excellent fun, immersive VR with great graphics - best I have seen yet in PSVR. But again - too freaking short as it's basically just a single tutorial/mission where you fly around taking out ships.

Very promising for future apps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLEqS34he8

SouthtownSlayer
11-08-2016, 11:36 AM
Downloaded and tried out the free COD:IW "Jackal Assault" VR experience last night.

This is really excellent fun, immersive VR with great graphics - best I have seen yet in PSVR. But again - too freaking short as it's basically just a single tutorial/mission where you fly around taking out ships.

Very promising for future apps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLEqS34he8

Almost ramming the guns on the ship at about 4:04 made me cringe, man this looks fun, I can only imagine what it looks like behind the goggles!

TonkaToys
11-08-2016, 12:10 PM
Lethal VR: A potent VR shooter from the creators of Burnout

It might be a shooting gallery, but it has the high-score hallmarks of a Criterion classic.

Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones. Case in point: Lethal VR, a shooter for HTC Vive (and soon PlayStation VR) from ex-Burnout developers Alex Ward and Fiona Sperry.

Having players physically emulate Clint Eastwood, then, makes it easier for them to understand that achieving high scores requires moving your head to look around a virtual wall, kneeling down to shoot through gaps, leaning from side to side to find a better shooting angle, and spinning around to destroy targets as quickly as possible.

Are you feeling lucky punk? Click here then
(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/11/lethal-vr-burnout-preview-psvr-vive/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u74_AK1JTz4

Spike Forehand
11-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Lethal VR: A potent VR shooter from the creators of Burnout

Are you feeling lucky punk? Click here then
(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/11/lethal-vr-burnout-preview-psvr-vive/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u74_AK1JTz4

Yeah - I want that.

The shooting gallery part of "London Heist" off the VR Worlds disc was really fun, and this looks even better/deeper.

Spike Forehand
11-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Looking for new games to buy and trying to decide between Ealge Flight and Robinson, so I read this article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/eagle-flight-and-robinson-unique-flawed-vr-experiences-w449811

Still undecided, but I found this quote really interesting:

Freeman acknowledges the lofty goals he set for his team at Crytek. "I would like to think that I lean towards the practical," he says, "but we're incredibly ambitious here. I think that we try to do things that we believe we can do and then set that challenge for ourselves." He has even loftier goals for VR now that Robinson is completed. "I want a shooter in VR," he says. "I think it's going to be awesome." He hints that he's spent time prototyping solutions to navigation issues endemic to first-person shooters in VR, saying he's stumbled upon something "magic." He expresses confidence in the potential for a shooter that "will feel very comfortable in the near future in terms of movement." Whether his ambitions will outpace his ability to deliver remains to be seen, but if Robinson is any indication, we'll certainly be enriched by the attempt.

DeadChaos
11-17-2016, 04:21 AM
Obduction, the spiritual successor to Myst made by that series' creator Cyan, is coming to PS4.

Better yet, it will have PlayStation VR support.

This may not come as a surprise, as the game's PC version received Oculus Rift support on Halloween, approximately two months after its late August launch.

"After nearly 20 years, we're thrilled to be heading back to console," said Cyan CEO and Myst co-creator Rand Miller. "With its massive player base and rich PSVR experience, PlayStation is the perfect platform to introduce Obduction's meticulously-crafted worlds to millions seeking to magically transport themselves elsewhere."

Indeed Miller and co. are very excited about the emergence of VR and have recently announced that they're working on an HTC Vive version of Obduction, due next year. "Cyan has seen the future and we're all in on VR," Miller stated.

Furthermore, a Mac version of Obudction is "coming soon".

http://youtu.be/2wCPOTK587o

GRRowl74
11-17-2016, 04:50 AM
Norwegian police uses VR for tactical training.

TonkaToys
11-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Norwegian police uses VR for tactical training.

They wanna watch out that no one nicks their bags and coats :spy:

Spike Forehand
11-18-2016, 10:36 AM
So - I ended up getting Eagle Flight and have played about 1/2 hour or so of the campaign. It's Ubisoft's first PSVR title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2LrzcZCBOE

It's an interesting game and flying through Paris by tilting your head or looking up and down feels natural and really smooth - no doubt aided by the very flat cartoon-like graphics. This free flight mode is pretty relaxing and kinda fun.

As for the actual gameplay, I'm calling it meh so far. The missions are not really story driven but are more like challenges with a timer or objectives. There is a scoreboard where you can see other players' scores and try to beat them. Seems to me like replayability will be low, but I will definitely work through it.

There's multiplayer too, and I'll eventually try that.

Overall I'm thinking it's probably priced about $10 too much at $40.

Spike Forehand
11-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Looks like GT Sport will not have full game VR support like Drive Club:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-vr-functionality-limited-to-dedicated-vr-tour-mode/

Interesting part of that quote is:

It will be one part of the game. One thing we discovered in developing and doing the VR, to do the whole game playable in VR is going to be a strain on the players. You can see in the demo downstairs, there’ll be a VR Tour mode that’ll be included in the game. That showcases the VR effects.”

I'm thinking that "strain on the players" clearly means "I'll make you wanna puke" in VR-speak. I think there's two things that are possible here.

1 - We are seeing the limitations of VR for fast moving games with high graphical fidelity/shading/etc. GT was probably not willing to make it look like crap in order to run smoothly like what happened with Drive Club.

or

2 - Polyphony just flat ran out of time in porting the game to PSVR and decided to reduce the content to get the game out without further delays.

Or maybe it's a bit of both. I am still gonna get this game, and will be interested in what this "VR Tour mode" incorporates.

Spike Forehand
11-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Conan does VR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqugCQzWOYA

GRRowl74
11-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Gotta love Conan! That boxing game looks interesting, maybe Fight Night can have a VR comeback:)

Spike Forehand
11-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Gotta love Conan! That boxing game looks interesting, maybe Fight Night can have a VR comeback:)

Yeah - I think Boxing is something that would work well in VR with the Move controllers and could be good exercise too.

Mike Tyson's Punchout Remastered!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipWyO_Qeung

I never did figure out how to beat Mike.

GRRowl74
11-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Only just tried the Resident Evil demo. The non-VR version. And no, I am not going into that house again. And in VR? Hell no.

Spike Forehand
11-23-2016, 01:06 PM
Impressions of GT on PSVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPw7aSUbOOs

Gist of video is that while it is better than Driveclub, it's still gives up a lot of graphical fidelity from the normal game even when running on PS4 Pro.

So - I've been doing a bit of an experiment the last few days. I've been jumping back and forth between Driveclub VR and Project Cars (non-VR) using my new logitch driving wheel.

Aside from the fact that Driveclub is more of an arcade racer vs. the sim capabilities (that I prefer) of Project Cars, my observations are:

1 - When playing Driveclub, I sorely miss the added graphic fidelity and realism that I get with Project Cars.

2 - When playing Project Cars, I sorely miss the ability to look into corners, the ability to turn my head and check mirrors, and the sense of immersion that I get with Driveclub.

Conclusion: Driving games on VR have a very bright future and are a natural fit, but are limited with the current hardware. We need much better resolution VR graphics to get them to come closer to racing nirvana.

DeadChaos
12-13-2016, 12:58 PM
"Try out PS VR strategy game Tethered for free with new demo, out now

Immerse yourself in a sampling of Secret Sorcery’s critically acclaimed debut"

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/12/13/try-out-ps-vr-strategy-game-tethered-for-free-with-new-demo-out-now/
Sent from Maxthon Cloud Browser

DeadChaos
12-20-2016, 10:31 AM
Fruit Ninja VR chops its way onto PlayStation VR today. Use your Move controllers to dice fresh produce with dual katana blades across four game modes.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/12/19/fruit-ninja-vr-chops-its-way-onto-playstation-vr-today/

http://youtu.be/x5oUemJ2DkA

TonkaToys
12-22-2016, 09:16 AM
Spike, are there any games where the in-helmet display is different from the one shown on the plugged-in telly?

So what the player sees in VR is different from what spectators see on screen.

Spike Forehand
12-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Spike, are there any games where the in-helmet display is different from the one shown on the plugged-in telly?

So what the player sees in VR is different from what spectators see on screen.

Yeah - the free Playroom VR games are that way. They are designed so that one person can play in VR and then up to 3 others can play with controllers on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b73-0Z1xLjE

TonkaToys
12-23-2016, 05:54 AM
Cheers Spike, that looked pretty fun actually.

This looks good too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKz_hiGKZYw

DeadChaos
01-05-2017, 02:06 PM
If experiencing Resident Evil 7 in virtual reality sounds only borderline frightening to you, step over the edge and add your smeller to the experience.
http://cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/assets.vg247.com/current/2017/01/resident_evil_7_candle-2-768x445.jpg

Videogame merchandise retailer Merchoid has announced an official “4D candle” which is meant to be used alongside PlayStation VR, which adds your olfactory system into the mix.

The Blood, Sweat and Fears 4D Candle for Resident Evil was “created to fully immerse the player” when traversing the Baker Family’s house-in-the-woods.

According to Merchoid, when lit, the candle gives off a “foisty, old timber and blood” scent and will burn for up to 20 hours. Obviously, you don’t have to have VR to use the candle. It just adds to the experience.
http://cdn.ampproject.org/i/s/assets.vg247.com/current/2017/01/resident_evil_7_candle-1-430x600.jpg

“The virtual reality experience is incredible, but we want to take you one step further than that, said Merchoid’s community manager Jessica Adams. “While playing the game, imagine if you could smell everything you could see and hear.

“The game becomes incredibly immersive as it tricks all your senses into thinking that you’re really there.”

It is a 100% officially licensed Resident Evil product and will run you £15/€18/$16. You can pre-order it through the Merchoid website from today, and shipping starts on January 20.

https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.vg247.com/2017/01/05/resident-evil-7-4d-vr-candle-smells-of-old-timber-and-blood/amp/

HardlyCapable13
01-05-2017, 02:18 PM
https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.vg247.com/2017/01/05/resident-evil-7-4d-vr-candle-smells-of-old-timber-and-blood/amp/

That's a brilliant idea.

Spike Forehand
01-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Dirt Rally coming to PSVR. Reportedly the full game will be playable in VR. Hopefully with better graphics than Driveclub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIe5fIKtQw

HardlyCapable13
01-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Dirt Rally coming to PSVR. Reportedly the full game will be playable in VR. Hopefully with better graphics than Driveclub.

I know it's not possible with the tech, but if they could do that with zero quality loss, I'd by the PSVR just for this game.

Spike Forehand
01-12-2017, 12:58 PM
I know it's not possible with the tech, but if they could do that with zero quality loss, I'd by the PSVR just for this game.

Well - you're definitely not getting zero quality loss with this gen VR and console, but I am super encouraged by the graphics that were delivered in the Battlefront VR mission and the COD VR Mission (Jackal Assault). They both had much better graphics than Driveclub VR for a relatively faster moving experience with photo-realistic graphics. Driveclub just flat-out looked like ass and I stopped playing it as i'd rather drive in Project Cars in non-VR than what they delivered in Driveclub

I think for a perfect VR racing experience with this gen hardware you would have to re-imagine the racing game into a more wireframe or cartoon-style graphics look - think Battlezone or RIGS style graphics but in a race car rather than a tank/mech.

I tried Trackmania Turbo in the VR mode and it looked fine too, but is not a real racing game/sim as it's in 3rd person.

I need to do an update on all the newer VR games I've tried - will try to maybe write something later today.

TonkaToys
01-12-2017, 01:42 PM
This is a shame; does it indicate a lack of confidence from Sony in VR games?

Sony closes Guerrilla Cambridge video games studio

The developer's most recent title was the PlayStation VR release Rigs. Prior to that it had worked on Killzone, LittleBigPlanet and MediEvil games.

The studio has been in existence for 19 years.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38598919)

DeadChaos
01-13-2017, 05:22 AM
Sad.....they made one hell of a Killzone game for the PS Vita.

Spike Forehand
01-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Reddit reporting that Arizona Sunshine will come to PSVR. Looks like a pretty decent VR zombie shooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_gWDl_f6V8

DeadChaos
01-20-2017, 05:44 AM
You can now watch 360° YouTube videos on PlayStation VR

Hours of virtual reality content already available to watch
Ever wondered what it’d be like to step inside a midnight safari or to paraglide over Brazil’s Iguazu falls? Well, with PS VR and YouTube, it’s easier than you might think.

Back in October, when we first launched PlayStation VR, our mission was to deliver cutting-edge virtual reality experiences to PS4 players right across the globe. Following a hugely successful launch and masses of positive feedback from players everywhere, we’re continuing to build on what we started.

Since launch, users have been able to watch their favourite streaming and catch-up services using PS VR to create a virtual “big-screen” right in front of their eyes. Now users can go a step further by experiencing YouTube’s amazing range of 360 videos via PS VR.

The latest update – released today – adds support for YouTube’s rapidly expanding library of virtual reality videos, allowing PS4 and PS VR users to once again step beyond the screen and explore detailed 360° worlds as though they were standing right there.

Download the update today and recommend us your favourite videos in the comments below.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/19/you-can-now-watch-360-youtube-videos-on-playstation-vr/

Spike Forehand
01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/19/you-can-now-watch-360-youtube-videos-on-playstation-vr/

Yeah, but where's the porn?

DeadChaos
01-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Cheap option for that is google cardboard. Also possible on Vive and Oculus. Any idea if the PS VR can access videos on an USB stick?

padz6545
01-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Cheap option for that is google cardboard. Also possible on Vive and Oculus. Any idea if the PS VR can access videos on an USB stick?

Yes, USB videos on a stick work fine...

A friend told me !!

DeadChaos
01-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Yes, USB videos on a stick work fine...

A friend told me !!

:thumb:

padz6545
01-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Just finished 'Job Simulator'.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/1640ebf59231cd99d2c902790f6c3e2b.jpg

This one had the worst tracking and motion problems I've come across so far. The game itself seemed rushed and didn't offer much in the way of variety. Everything seemed aesthetically the same, very boxy and square.

A potential one to buy if it drops in price later in the year though, as it has an easy Platinum and took around 4 hours.

Spike Forehand
01-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Just finished 'Job Simulator'.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170123/1640ebf59231cd99d2c902790f6c3e2b.jpg

This one had the worst tracking and motion problems I've come across so far. The game itself seemed rushed and didn't offer much in the way of variety. Everything seemed aesthetically the same, very boxy and square.

A potential one to buy if it drops in price later in the year though, as it has an easy Platinum and took around 4 hours.

Yeah - I agree. That one required the most precise alignment of standing position vs. the cameras of any game. I can't even play it in my home theater where I normally have my PS4 set up as I can't stand in the exact sweet spot and it's a game that requires standing.

I haven't picked it up in a bit, but it's a good one to put people into if they haven't experienced VR yet cause it's easy to understand and kind of fun/silly. Had fun over the holidays with this one with relatives when I moved the PS4/PSVR up to the living room where there's plenty of floor space in front of the TV. We all had a good laugh at my terrible-at-cooking sister in law when she burned the kitchen down as a short order cook - lol.

Didn't realize it was an easy platinum - will have to pick it back up to get that at some point I guess.

Spike Forehand
01-24-2017, 12:01 PM
About a week back I finished the story on Robinson: The Journey and here's a mini-review:

Robinson:The Journey is a PSVR-only game that puts you in the body of a boy that is stranded on a planet that is filled with pre-historic creatures. You have to complete some tasks and collect some objects to advance the game through 4 small areas of the map. You have a pet T-rex that accompanies you and helps out on some parts. as well as a talking floating robot that follows along and serves as data storage and provides some hints.

Graphics-wise - the visuals and immersive environments in this game are some of the best delivered yet in PSVR. You are virtually delivered onto a pretty lush alien planet with the ability to move around freely and it's pretty cool. Good sound design too - the sound and view of giant dinos walking right past you is pretty amazing and the coolest aspect of the game.

Default movement in the game is via joystick, and uses the slowly-becoming-standard-for-VR "pie slice" rotation where when you rotate, the view jumps in 1/8 circle increments - designed to keep you from feeling sick. You can play it in the free mode - which gives the standard smooth rotation - but I stuck with the standard as this is not a fast-action game so the "pie slice" rotation was fine and was a little more comfortable to the brain.

The gameplay was pretty limited, and I completed the game in probably about 3.5-4 hours - slightly longer than Batman VR. The actual missions and what you need to accomplish them were pretty simple, but I found myself getting extremely frustrated at a couple of points where it wasn't entirely clear what you were supposed to do.

For example, at one point you had to have your eye scanned to confirm identity. I tried a thousand times and finally had to look on youtube, where I realized that you had to lean forward and put your eye right in front of the scanner. Made perfect sense afterward and it worked fine, but the fact is that you are just not used to having to do head movements like that to accomplish a task in a video game. Not sure if that's my fault or the games, but to make it less frustrating, perhaps some kind of on-screen visual cue or something would have helped. There were several places like that where your progress would be frustratingly halted while you had to figure out what to do - and not in a good "puzzle" type way, but more just the mechanics type way.

The number of animals and the method of identifying them and then being able to go back and reference them in the database was interesting, but again they seemed like they needed to make it slightly harder to scan an animal than necessary - especially larger or faster-moving animals. Not sure if I'll return to scan everything for the platinum trophy or not as I know I need a giant pterodactyl and they fly by so fast it's really hard.

In the trailer, they seemed to make this out to be a scary game, but it wasn't in any way and is suitable for kids to play imo.

Overall, I give the game a 7 and place the value at about $30. (It's currently still $60 on PSN, but down to $40 on Amazon).

It's recommended for those looking for a good immersive family friendly PSVR game and who don't get frustrated by clunky controls/mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUqqS0earc

padz6545
01-24-2017, 02:43 PM
I was thinking about getting Robinson next week. Reviews elsewhere said it wasn't worth the price tag being so high. £50 in U.K., which is a lot for a game only a few hours long.

I'll give it a go though, thanks for review Spike.

padz6545
01-24-2017, 02:44 PM
Rumour has it, VR title to be included in Feb PS+ list.

I'm going to call it now, and say it'll be Batman VR.

Spike Forehand
01-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Rumour has it, VR title to be included in Feb PS+ list.

I'm going to call it now, and say it'll be Batman VR.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was RIGS since they just shut down that studio.

padz6545
01-26-2017, 02:30 PM
RIGS is a flagship premium game. Would they go all out with such a title ??

Spike Forehand
01-26-2017, 03:46 PM
RIGS is a flagship premium game. Would they go all out with such a title ??

Yeah - you're probably right since they are still charging $60 for it. Would royally piss off those who paid full price if all of a sudden it was free.

Might be something like Thumper or Rez Infinite - stuff that's been out for a while that had a VR mode added for PSVR launch or maybe even an extension of the Playroom VR stuff. (Both Thumper and Rez were awesome if you haven't tried them yet btw.) That kind of fits with the smaller/indie stuff that the PS+ usually gets.

Or how about Sports Bar VR? That's a game I've been wanting to try but the reviews being so mixed has caused me to not pull the trigger.

Spike Forehand
01-31-2017, 06:22 PM
PSVR Specials (https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/playstation-plus-specials/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSSPECIALS/1) in the PS Store

Spike Forehand
02-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Guess they are happy with RE7 in VR and are seeing an opportunity there. I plan to trade in a duplicate copy of ROTR that I got for xmas for it this weekend.

Finally, Capcom said it’ll focus more on VR content going forward with the goal of creating a new market, and has undergone some reorganisation internally to better fit the transition. The company is confident in the move thanks to the “successive releases of VR devices that are highly compatible with games.”

LINK (https://www.vg247.com/2017/02/01/capcom-planning-aggressive-sales-campaign-for-resident-evil-7-after-profits-decline-more-focus-on-vr/)

DeadChaos
02-03-2017, 10:38 AM
This should be an interesting one for VR.

http://youtu.be/cFS5T7RkA7Y

DeadChaos
02-09-2017, 08:02 AM
VR Ping Pong, out today, lets you perfect your top spin in PlayStation VR

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/02/08/vr-ping-pong-out-today-lets-you-perfect-your-top-spin-in-playstation-vr/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SCEEBlog+%28blog.eu.playstati on.com%29

Spike Forehand
02-20-2017, 07:47 PM
PSVR Support for Dirt Rally now out. Looks like it's much improved over Drive Club. I'm probably gonna pick this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icyat4RTkqU

TonkaToys
03-01-2017, 06:35 AM
This looks like a great multiplayer use for VR

Star Trek: Bridge Crew.

When you first load into Star Trek: Bridge Crew’s main menu, you start in an inspection shuttle, following a short orbit around the beautiful U.S.S. Aegis in dock at a space station. When we first started showing the game to the public, it wasn’t unusual for players to spend five minutes or more just sitting in that shuttle, staring out at space. In fact, one of our guys who ran a lot of demos said not once, but twice, players had to pause to wipe tears from their eyes.

And this was just our main menu.

We have, for example, a specific protocol that players follow to take the Aegis and Enterprise to warp. The Engineer is responsible for providing enough power to the engines, and then starting a process to charge the warp coils. The Helm Officer plots a course and then aligns the ship with the proper vector. But the warp coils can’t hold their charge forever, so the Captain needs to coordinate the process to ensure that everyone does the right thing at the right time. It’s an easy process when you’re just hanging out in Federation space. It might be a little more stressful when you’re trying to rescue civilians while being attacked, and also trying to escape a star that’s about to explode.

Beam me down for more...
(http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/01/capturing-the-authenticity-of-the-final-frontier-in-ps-vrs-star-trek-bridge-crew/)

DeadChaos
03-10-2017, 04:04 AM
Shooter/tower defense hybrid Ancient Amuletor blazes onto PlayStation VR this summer

Defend a mystical world as an archer, gunslinger, mage, or puppet master in this blend of shooter and tower defense.

Hello, PlayStation world! I’m Tao Zhang from TiGames, a VR developer based in China. I’m honored to introduce you to a new game for PS VR: Ancient Amuletor.

Ancient Amuletor is a game which combines elements of shooting, tower defense, and other genres to create a new experience for VR. In Ancient Amuletor, players can choose different heroes and be the peacekeeper of a magical world. Each hero has his or her own unique gameplay mechanic.

It sounds a bit like a MOBA, right? Yes, we really want players in VR to experience a new type of hero-based gameplay. We’ll have four different heroes for you to play: an archer, gunslinger, mage, and puppet master. More heroes will be available via DLC in the future.

We built a number of game modes and a variety of difficulty levels, from ancient Egypt to Rome, and even boss battles. Of course, we know that one hero cannot defend the entire world by him or herself, so we will also provide online co-op with friends so your heroes don’t have to be alone.

Ancient Amuletor is being published by Time of Virtual Reality and will be arriving this summer for PS VR. We’re eagerly looking forward to the game’s launch, and to reading all of your comments.

If you wish to play the game before it goes online, then come see us at PAX East 2017. We’ll be excited for you guys to come and try Ancient Amuletor.

http://youtu.be/L34uUBp8kt0

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/03/09/shootertower-defense-hybrid-ancient-amuletor-blazes-onto-playstation-vr-this-summer/

Major Stains
03-10-2017, 04:20 AM
I noticed a piece on Vimeo 360 (https://join.vimeo.com/360/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_content=US_Search_Brand_General_Beta_EN*Accoun t+-+BMM&utm_term=%2Baccount+%2Bvimeo&utm_campaign=1923&gclid=CJCJ-OzNy9ICFdQK0wodBkIOpQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLS3iu3Ny9ICFawB0wod34AAKw) the other day. Have any of you guys with VR tried it yet?

TonkaToys
04-13-2017, 10:45 AM
More games coming to PS VR

Sony PlayStation VR finally gets more games—good ones, too

Creating a VR game, let alone a VR game with the production value of an Uncharted or a Horizon: Zero Dawn, doesn't happen overnight of course. But there are signs that a second wave of games will soon launch on Sony's headset, which, if we're lucky, will be far deeper than the first.

Statik, created by Swedish indie Tarsier Studios, is described as "a VR game about solving puzzles in a place you don't know, with a person you don't recognise, and hands that aren’t completely yours,"

Korix errs more towards tower defence than it does a full-blown RTS, with two opposing armies facing off to destroy each other's base with an array of defensive tools and weaponry.

The Persistence in VR is a first-person shooter, with aiming via head-tracking and forward, backward, and straight horizontal movement handled by the analogue sticks. That sounds like a recipe for nausea, but I lasted longer in The Persistence than other first-person VR games I've tried... The premise is simple: one player dons PSVR and tries to escape a rapidly crumbling (and procedurally generated) space station that's crawling with zombies. Up to four other players hold tablets that show the player's progress on a map and compete against each other for points gained by either helping or hindering the VR player.

more...
(https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/04/psvr-2017-games-statik-korix-persistence-starblood/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76izN32YSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbKYzCmQE5I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQ_a2fR8rU

padz6545
04-13-2017, 12:07 PM
The Persistence looks pretty good, I'll definitely give that a go.

Spike Forehand
05-01-2017, 06:25 AM
r/psvr did a pretty good poll of the games released so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/68enob/top_30_psvr_games_voted_for_by_over_2000_psvr/

Below is the top 30 to which I have added in bold the ones I've tried and my rating in parentheses:

30. Fated: The Silent Oath

29. Robinson: The Journey 7.0

28. The Brookhaven Experiment

27. Here They Lie

26. The Playroom VR 8.0

25. Tethered

24. Windlands

23. Driveclub VR 4.0

22. Eagle Flight 6.0

21. Battlezone

20. RIGS: Mechanized Combat League

19. VR Invaders

18. Headmaster

17. PlayStation VR Worlds 7.0

16. Thumper

15. Korix

14. Eve: Valkyrie

13. Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin

12. Star Wars Battle Front - Rogue One: X-Wing VR Mission 7.0

11. Rez Infinite 8.5

10. Mortal Blitz

9. Job Simulator 7.0

8. Starblood Arena

7. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

6. I Expect You To Die

5. Batman: Arkham VR 9.0

4. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood 6.5

3. Werewolves Within

2. Dirt Rally 9.5

1. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard 9.5

Spike Forehand
05-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Starwars Battlefront 2 to definitely have a VR mode of some sort. Not yet known whether it'll be full game compatible like RE7 and Dirt Rally, or if it will just be side missions of some sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbRq_gviZlI

Spike Forehand
05-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Starwars Battlefront 2 to definitely have a VR mode of some sort. Not yet known whether it'll be full game compatible like RE7 and Dirt Rally, or if it will just be side missions of some sort.

Or is it? Seems like Sony is walking back the "leak":

We are aware that a recent PlayStation promotional email indicated that Star Wars Battlefront II will be PS VR compatible. This email was incorrect and we apologise for any confusion caused.

While there is PS VR gameplay available as downloadable content for Star Wars Battlefront (released in 2015), nothing has been announced regarding PS VR support for Star Wars Battlefront II.

https://uploadvr.com/report-playstation-outs-psvr-support-star-wars-battlefront-2/

Spike Forehand
05-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Another article from Upload about the new Facebook camera with 24 lenses that allows you to not only make your own 360 deg VR video, but apparently it allows you to move around inside the video.

Very interesting to think about a future of gaming where you are inserted into a world that was actually photographed, and can move around and interact with it - not just a rendering of a real world.

Here’s where things get really cool. Just as I was getting used to my surroundings I was instructed to take a step. As I did so the world stayed exactly where it should while I started to move. For the first time in my life I was walking through a 360-degree video and I couldn’t help but smile. Honestly, if it wasn’t for the occasional blur or glitch, I would have believed I was truly standing in this indoor arboretum.

https://uploadvr.com/facebook-surround-360-x24-hands-on/

Spike Forehand
05-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Interesting article on where Sony is headed with PSVR and how E3 will be a big indicator for the hardware.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-12-psvr-losing-steam-or-gaining-traction

In short, while we don't know which way Sony is moving on PSVR for sure just yet, the reality is that if the company, having developed a successful and well-regarded VR headset and launched it into a market so enthusiastic that it can't keep up with demand, now drops the ball entirely then.... Well, it's madness. PSVR may never be owned by more than a fraction of PS4 consumers, but it generates huge interest and sets the platform apart from its increasingly aggressive competitors. Losing interest in it at this stage, before it's ever really had a chance to flourish, would be a terrible unforced error on Sony's part. With any luck, E3 will prove that this isn't a trap into which the company has fallen.

DeadChaos
05-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Sounds like the PS Vita all over again.

DeadChaos
06-01-2017, 06:13 AM
http://youtu.be/IdhJb5TUm1U

padz6545
06-01-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm really tempted to get this, but there will have to be good chat and communication to make it work.
How many MP's have VR ?

Spike Forehand
06-01-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm really tempted to get this, but there will have to be good chat and communication to make it work.
How many MP's have VR ?

Guys I know with PSVR:

Me
You
Beeano
RC

I thought there was someone else too.

JockoPablo
06-01-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm tempted to buy a PS4 VR rig just to play Bridge Crew. It looks phenomenal.

Spike Forehand
06-01-2017, 05:37 PM
I'm tempted to buy a PS4 VR rig just to play Bridge Crew. It looks phenomenal.

Do it!!

More reasons than just Bridge Crew too.

Beeano swears that Farpoint with the Aim controller in VR is the greatest thing he's ever played. I still haven't gotten it cause it's sold out everywhere, but I plan to follow.

For me, Dirt Rally and RE7 are both incredible experiences.

tthfry
06-02-2017, 03:22 AM
I want one bad. But my better half will likely kick me out if I'm getting one now. Just so managed to upgrade to Pro, but only because we had a 99 bucks trade-in deal with GameStop. And then there are house plans - so maybe I'm getting the VR² when it comes out in 5 years... :D

REMEC87
06-02-2017, 12:50 PM
So is it worth getting? Any multi player games available? Is it just the headset or is the aim controller separate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike Forehand
06-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Remec - I recommend that everyone at least try PSVR. Some people get motion sickness, but most either don't get it at all or have it at first and get over it quickly. I have only had a couple of games that made me uncomfortable. RE7, Dirt Rally, Batman Arkham VR were all outstanding and a lot of fun and not a hint of motion sickness.

The Aim controller is the new accessory that is currently being sold in a bundle with the game Farpoint, but it is sold out everywhere currently and is going for 2-3X actual value so I haven't gotten it yet. Beeano says it's the greatest thing he's ever played. It has co-op but no pvp.

There are several other games with co-op/multi-player, but no true multiplayer FPS yet. The closest was probably RIGS - a mech shooter - but that game has died out already. However with the success of Farpoint and the high demand for the Aim controller I think it's only a matter of time. E3 will tell a lot.

Spike Forehand
06-04-2017, 10:47 AM
PSVR Sales Over 400k for 1Q17 (http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/02/psvr-sales-top-400k-in-first-quarter-of-2017/)

The International Data Corporation (IDC) recently reported the total sales of virtual reality headsets during the first quarter of 2017. The results were mildly surprising, as the best selling headsets were designed for mobile devices. In fact, Samsung’s Gear VR managed to take the top spot with 489,500 units sold. Despite this trend of mobile VR, Sony’s PlayStation VR also sold very well, as it moved 429,000 units.

Shipping over 400k units is particularly impressive when compared to how the major PC headsets fared. HTC Vive did pretty well, with it managing to sell 190,900 units in the first quarter. The same can’t be said for what seemingly was the hottest headset out of the gate, the Oculus Rift. The Facebook-backed product sold slightly less than 100k units in the first quarter.

These solid PSVR sales make sense, as PlayStation VR did have a very solid first quarter of 2017 when it comes to software. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard ended up scaring plenty of gamers, and the VR version of the game was exclusive to PlayStation. RE is easily the biggest VR release of the year so far, so that was a huge get for Sony. This momentum has continued forward as players that purchased a headset for Resident Evil have been able to enjoy high-profile titles such as Farpoint, and Star Trek: Bridge Crew in the following months.

There will certainly be more virtual reality announcements at E3 2017, as companies try to keep the positive momentum going. The IDC currently predicts that there will be nearly 100 million VR and AR headsets shipped by 2021, so it doesn’t look like virtual reality is going anywhere soon.

Surprised to see them so close to Gear VR -which cost $130 and had a pretty big ad campaign. Will be interesting to see what happens with Oculus. It could come back big time if they bundle it with Scorpio and sell something to console gamers that's way more powerful than PSVR. I think they'd need to keep the whole package ~$900 though and certainly less than $1k, seeing as PSVR + PS4 can be had for around $750. Rift alone going for $600 with controllers.

padz6545
06-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Oculus bundled with the Scorpio would make for interesting competition to PSVR. Which I think would be a good thing, especially if it meant bigger games with >20hrs playtime.

Spike Forehand
06-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Oculus bundled with the Scorpio would make for interesting competition to PSVR. Which I think would be a good thing, especially if it meant bigger games with >20hrs playtime.

Yeah - the developers need the incentive of a big installed base of VR devices to take the risk of developing bigger games, and having one in the XBO space would be huge.

Spike Forehand
06-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Good article:

5 PSVR Games to Watch at E3 (https://www.vrfocus.com/2017/06/5-playstation-vr-games-to-watch-at-e3-2017/)

Most interesting is conjecture about what Sony Santa Monica is up to:

Sony Santa Monica
So, we don’t actually know what this one is. So why’s it on this list? Because Sony Santa Monica is one of the most highly respected developers on PlayStation hardware. That’s why.

As you will most likely have seen, last month VRFocus reported on an unofficial statement regarding Sony Santa Monica’s continued work in VR, and that after assisting a number of studios with external projects its first title for the PlayStation VR will likely be announced soon. That ‘soon’ may well be at E3 next week.

Whether it will be a part of an existing franchise – Sony Santa Monica has of course championed the God of War series – or a brand new title is yet to be seen, but you can be sure that whatever comes will shoot straight to the top of PlayStation VR owners’ most wanted lists.

Spike Forehand
06-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Sony will show "a number of new PSVR games" at E3 (https://uploadvr.com/sony-new-vr-games-e3/)

padz6545
06-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Sony will show "a number of new PSVR games" at E3 (https://uploadvr.com/sony-new-vr-games-e3/)

Great news.

Spike Forehand
06-12-2017, 08:13 AM
So yesterday we had a high school graduation party for my oldest daughter. As I often do for family gatherings, I set up the PSVR in an open part of my basement and invite people to try it out.

One of my neighbors was using it playing Job Simulator, which is a standing game where you use the move controllers to grab things and move them around to complete tasks - a really fun game that everyone seems to get a kick out of. At one point, she dropped something (virtually of course), bent over to pick it up, lost her balance and went head first into the wall. Luckily, she caught a spot between the studs.

What I learned was that my PSVR headset can work as a helmet to knock a hole in dry wall. Neither my neighbors head, nor my PSVR, suffered any damage aside from some dry wall dust.

Everyone got a good laugh and agreed that we won't fix it, we'll just put a picture frame around it and have a good story to tell.

http://i.imgur.com/HIPFS8G.jpg

padz6545
06-12-2017, 09:01 AM
That's brilliant.

I'm the same, I really try to encourage friends to try it when they come round. I had a pal giving it a go the other week, on a few different games. He's a huge comic fan so he loved Batman. We tried Playroom VR, which was fun but not the best.
After half hour or so getting used to it, I put DriveClub VR on. He lasted about 3 mins before saying it was too much and had to take it off.
If it wasn't for our kids watching the TV, I would have let him try the 'Kitchen' demo just to see the reaction.

They do seem pretty well made, even the packaging. I left the box on the hob one night before going to bed. Came down the next morning, and although there was a slight burn, the headset was good as gold. Pic below of the aftermath.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170612/e87d5fc7cf100686a5f7293fde60618e.jpg

Spike Forehand
06-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Holy shit that would sucked to melt your PSVR on the hob. Glad it didn't happen.

Major Stains
06-12-2017, 02:32 PM
So yesterday we had a high school graduation party for my oldest daughter. As I often do for family gatherings, I set up the PSVR in an open part of my basement and invite people to try it out.

One of my neighbors was using it playing Job Simulator, which is a standing game where you use the move controllers to grab things and move them around to complete tasks - a really fun game that everyone seems to get a kick out of. At one point, she dropped something (virtually of course), bent over to pick it up, lost her balance and went head first into the wall. Luckily, she caught a spot between the studs.

What I learned was that my PSVR headset can work as a helmet to knock a hole in dry wall. Neither my neighbors head, nor my PSVR, suffered any damage aside from some dry wall dust.

Everyone got a good laugh and agreed that we won't fix it, we'll just put a picture frame around it and have a good story to tell.

http://i.imgur.com/HIPFS8G.jpg

That is comedy gold right there. You've got to share that with Sony... "where virtual meets reality".

padz6545
06-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Holy shit that would sucked to melt your PSVR on the hob. Glad it didn't happen.

I kept the box in the end, just got rid of the internal foam bits. It's a decent storage unit for peripherals.

Spike Forehand
06-12-2017, 02:42 PM
VR AT E3 - The Good and (Mostly) Bad News So Far - Pre Sony Press Conference Edition

So - I've been curiously watching E3 for it's VR stuff - both general VR and especially PSVR.

So far, it's been mostly bad news:

Absolutely no mention of VR by Xbox. Apparently, they have dropped any and all VR peripheral development between the Scorpio announcement last year (when they said sopmething about "the abilty to best run VR') to the XB1X reveal yesterday. After the press conference, the BBC pointedly asked Phil Spencer about it:

E3 2017: Where's the VR on Xbox One X? (http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-40244066/e3-2017-where-s-the-vr-on-xbox-one-x)

Bottom line is that he won't even call it VR, instead referring to "augmented reality" and saying something about "wires running across your living space" and that VR is more properly paired with a PC in a desktop PC setting.

This is really bad news for all VR including PSVR because it makes it a lot less likely that any developers will make the investment with zero headsets hooked up to XBoxes.

No Fallout 4 VR for PSVR - but yes for Vive - Another ball-buster for PSVR. This means that Bethesda is clearly unable to port the FO4 world and get it to work in PSVR, but it does in the Vive. Unknown whether this was for technical reasons of head-tracking, inability to get locomotion correct, or something else. Maybe the size and scope of open world was just too much to handle. The PSVR ports of RE7 and Dirt Rally were fantastic, but they are both limited areas in size with RE7 being in the houses and small limited outside areas while Dirt Rally your view is limited to the tracks.

DOOM VFG - (Virtual Fucking Reality) - This one will be available on PSVR - which is great news and is likely to be a very cool game. However, it's reportedly a whole new game and will be priced at $30, meaning it may fit into the category of a shorter "experience" type thing rather than be a full game. Nothing wrong with that as I loved the Batman Arkham VR, but I think a lot of players are wanting big AAA releases, and had their hopes pinned on this being one.

How Sony treats PSVR tonight will be very interesting, but from what E3 has delivered so far I'm getting pessimistic about the platform.

Major Stains
06-12-2017, 02:49 PM
I guess it could all boil down to the numbers. Does anyone know how the global figures stack up?
Has it been well received by the gaming community?

These things do come and go. But I always keep hold of them out of nostalgia (I'm looking at you PS2 golf game with string on the gloves attached to a control box :boink:)

Spike Forehand
06-12-2017, 03:01 PM
I guess it could all boil down to the numbers. Does anyone know how the global figures stack up?
Has it been well received by the gaming community?

PSVR has sold over a million units and continues to be the second best selling VR headset after the Samsung Gear VR. In 1Q, PSVR sold 429k vs. 191k for Vive and 100k for Oculus. The average # of titles a PSVR owner has bought is five. SO yes - I think it's been pretty well received by the buyers. However, I don't believe that software developers are feeling the love for the platform as the vast majority of new titles are small independents.

padz6545
06-12-2017, 03:55 PM
This looks pretty sweet. I loved the last DOOM game.

https://youtu.be/b9cWh6JVzas

Spike Forehand
06-12-2017, 06:21 PM
This looks pretty sweet. I loved the last DOOM game.

https://youtu.be/b9cWh6JVzas

I agree. Must buy for me. Hope they add Aim support as that would really make it awesome.

TonkaToys
06-13-2017, 02:50 AM
BBC one minute PS4 summary briefly mentions VR (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40256118)

VR content for role-playing adventure Skyrim was shown, as was a new first-person horror title, The Inpatient.

A virtual reality fishing simulator for Final Fantasy - Monster of the Deep - was also debuted.

Augmented Reality / Mixed Reality on the XB is probably being driven by MS' Hololens development, which seems to be on hold until 2019 now (http://www.thurrott.com/hardware/90780/microsoft-accelerates-hololens-v3-development-sidesteps-v2).

By skipping what was version two on their roadmap, the company can accelerate version three which will be closer to a generational leap and help keep Microsoft ahead of the competition. My sources are telling me that this version of Hololens will not arrive until 2019.

“Mixed reality is the future of computing, and Microsoft HoloLens is the future and present of mixed reality. Our commitment requires no roadmap”

Microsoft is playing for the long-term with this technology to make sure they are well positioned for the next revolution in computing. By adjusting their path today for HoloLens, they are making sure that they remain the segment leader for years to come.

Spike Forehand
06-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Sony definitely came hard with VR, dedicating a good 10 minutes in the middle of the presentation to 5 new PSVR titles. This definitely turned around my pessimism and showed that Sony is still pushing the platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d40OLpsHGI

For me, the highlight was definitely the announcement of Skyrim VR - which was totally unexpected after the bad news that Fallout VR would not be supported on PSVR, just on Vive. Am I going to give Bethesda money for Skyrim for a third time? Fuck yeah I am. They have said it will be the full game + all DLC in VR.

My theory is that the reason they can do this for Skyrim but not FO4 is that they still have the PS3 version available so that they don't have to down-rez the graphics to be a better match for the lower resolution of PSVR, and that just wasn't do-able for FO4.

Also in the presentation was Bravo Team - a nice looking first person tactical shooter - not a lot of details about it yet. Will undoubtedly have Aim support.

The Inpatient appears to be another psycho/horror game set in a mental hospital. No surprise after the VR success of RE7.

Moss looks like a very pretty 3D dungeon crawler/puzzle game (I think) where you play as a small rabbit. I wouldn't normally be interested, but with how well "Robots Rescue" was delivered in the Playroom VR I can see this working great.

Lastly, Star Child was some kind of space/sci-fi game with giant robots that fight both for and against your character - a much smaller human female.

Spike Forehand
06-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Augmented Reality / Mixed Reality on the XB is probably being driven by MS' Hololens development, which seems to be on hold until 2019 now (http://www.thurrott.com/hardware/90780/microsoft-accelerates-hololens-v3-development-sidesteps-v2).

I forgot all about that Hololens thing. I remember that awkward demo they did with Minecraft. Surprised Phil Spencer didn't mention it in that interview I posted. Maybe MS is thinking that'll be better for industrial/business applications.

I buy packaging equipment for the company I work at, and some equipment manufacturers are developing training and troubleshooting capability on equipment via Hololens/google Glass type "augmented reality" glasses.

Retro
06-15-2017, 12:01 PM
You might like this one Spike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z_x3jLxuDA

Spike Forehand
06-15-2017, 12:33 PM
You might like this one Spike.

I've always been a pretty shitty pilot in BF games, but that looks pretty cool and if it's SP I may get it. Seems like a natural fit for PSVR, and they have the cockpit and HUD to keep you from puking.

Spike Forehand
06-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Good write-up about the upcoming holiday 2017 PSVR release"Moss", that is apparently the creation of some guys who left Bungie and Rockstar:

Ex-Bungie developers crafted the most promising VR adventure yet (https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/16/moss-polyarc-vr/)

Even without playing the game, you can tell this isn't their first rodeo. The developers abandoned the hallowed halls of Bungie and Rockstar to make an independent VR game of their own. And after spending a few minutes with Moss at E3, it's clear they weren't just wasting time. The game simply looks and feels incredible, and it's quickly become my most anticipated VR title this year.

Moss harkens back to classic adventure games, like The Legend of Zelda and The Secret of Mana, except instead of staring at a flat screen, you're looking at the world in a third-person view in VR. Quill controls like a dream with the Dual Shock 4, with fluid animation and a great overall feel during combat and platforming. She also has a personality: She'll point you in the direction you need to go, give you hints during a puzzle, or simply act mouse-like while idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TTBaNw6Eek

TonkaToys
06-19-2017, 09:09 AM
I had very little interest in even looking at the videos for that game until you posted it Spike, now I think it looks really good.

That'll be on my list if I ever get a PSVR

Spike Forehand
06-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Kind off a hype article, as many are on the PS Blog, but some interesting info about how the controls work.

I will definitely going full-on magic in Skyrim VR as the ability to throw spells with either hand using the move controllers sounds bad-ass and much better/less annoying than slashing motions or trying to get the arrow-shooting correct.

Skyrim for PSVR Is A Frighteningly Empowering Experience (https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/19/skyrim-for-playstation-vr-is-a-frighteningly-empowering-experience/)

Perhaps the most exciting moments I experienced during my short time with Skyrim VR were those when I was able to dual-wield a spell in each hand. Full, independent control of each hand meant that I could equip dual fire spells and rain superheated justice upon any foes unlucky enough to exist within my line of sight. “You learn a lot about a person when you watch them play this,” the Bethesda rep manning the demo remarked as he watched me mercilessly torch entire encampments.

padz6545
06-20-2017, 09:00 AM
I never had the time when Skyrim was first released. Tempted to get into his version.

Although, this looks interesting as well:

https://youtu.be/Ea32jf8hUyM

Spike Forehand
06-20-2017, 09:18 AM
I never had the time when Skyrim was first released. Tempted to get into his version.

Although, this looks interesting as well:

https://youtu.be/Ea32jf8hUyM

Sweet!! I hadn't seen that before. Reminds me of the Arkham VR. Looks like it's tied into the movie, perhaps we can hope for it to be free?

padz6545
06-20-2017, 12:51 PM
It is free. Which means it will be super quick, about 1hr gameplay I reckon.
Definitely worth a watch though before you head out to the cinema.

HardlyCapable13
06-20-2017, 01:01 PM
I've actually been comtemplating grabbing this. Is it really worth it yet?

The PSVR and the camera comes out to $430, or the bundle with PSVR, camera, and 2 move controllers is $499. Not sure I even want the move controllers...

padz6545
06-30-2017, 02:07 PM
Guess what's just downloaded...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170630/d2a56999d2711eae5fb69de68da949ac.jpg

I'll let you know what it's like once I play it later, not sure if anyone else has yet.

Spike Forehand
06-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Guess what's just downloaded...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170630/d2a56999d2711eae5fb69de68da949ac.jpg

I'll let you know what it's like once I play it later, not sure if anyone else has yet.

Will also d/l tonight. Heard it was super short and a little disappointing. Free is free I guess.

padz6545
06-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Yeah, like 10 mins or so.

Spike Forehand
06-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Shhhhhhhh......

I've got my wife convinced that 10 mins is a really good experience.

padz6545
06-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Hahaha, they'll believe anything pal.

padz6545
06-30-2017, 04:20 PM
I've just finished it.

It's pretty basic for what's already out there for VR. It put me at a kind of right angle to the TV/PS Camera which was odd, but it worked.

First bit is OK with getting used to the web, then high up it gets scary.

Should of had the last few seconds rolled out a bit more I think, that was the best part.

Worth the money I think.

Spike Forehand
07-03-2017, 12:23 PM
Been playing this on PC - looking forward to the PSVR version. Perfect game for it. Should be out soon from what people are saying - maybe even tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg5xLLeYimc

TonkaToys
07-04-2017, 05:05 PM
PSVR only £289 at www.shopto.net (http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4AC240-sony-playstation-vr-psvr)

I was hovering over the BUY button, but thought I'd just check on the Amazon Prime Day sale next week.

DeadChaos
07-06-2017, 04:27 AM
http://youtu.be/2MT1NnWxphQ

GRRowl74
07-06-2017, 05:26 AM
Looks interesting. I love the concept of horror in VR, although I don't think my blood pump could handle it. With a couple MPs holding my hand, then maybe.

Another thing completely - what's the deal with VR and the floating hands/gun. How hard is it to attach a couple arms? They manage in fps, shouldn't think VR pov is that much harder. Or am I missing something? Those of you who have tried a few, what's your thoughts?

Spike Forehand
07-15-2017, 04:09 AM
Review: Suoerhot PSVR (http://pureplaystation.com/review-superhot-vr-ps4psvr/2017/07/)

SUPER HOT VR is perhaps the coolest, most bad arse game I’ve ever had the good fortune to play. Never before has a game had me skip a lasagne. A meal, yes. But not a lasagne. I never skip lasagne. Or at least I didn’t before playing SUPERHOT VR.

So determined was I to nail a tricky level that I shooed away my partner’s ramblings about dinner, chores, and some kid we co-own. I was in the zone. I had my right hand poised, ready to stab the mother hugger to the right of me. My plan was to stab him, nick his gun, shoot the fool creeping to my left, duck down to avoid a hail of bullets, and then finish off the third punk with a well placed shot in the bollocks.

What you’re getting for your buck is more than a bang; it’s a great big bloody explosion of glass people. And it’s marvellous.

Definitely the next PSVR buy for me. I can see the move controllers working great in this game.

DeadChaos
07-17-2017, 09:33 AM
http://youtu.be/ZSm-rdRZBqc

padz6545
07-19-2017, 06:31 AM
http://youtu.be/ZSm-rdRZBqc

I spotted this one yesterday as well. I think Swords, Light Sabres, Sticks etc are a natural progression for the Move controller. The concept is perfect, but the tracking and movement will have to be spot on.

This game will need good reviews for me before I buy. Definitely potential.

TonkaToys
07-26-2017, 01:08 PM
More VR games announced from Chinese developers.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/07/26/a-diverse-range-of-new-ps-vr-games-announced-at-shanghais-chinajoy-expo/

Spike Forehand
07-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Just reporting in that SuperHot VR is super-badass as expected. Little bit of tracking issues when you have to reach for something, but supposedly a fix is on the way for that.

Definitely a game better played standing up as being able to reach out to punch guys/grab guns, as well as reach down, is important. It's actually a bit of a workout as you duck and dodge bullets.

I'm giving it a 9 and putting it just behind RE7 and Dirt Rally on the PSVR rankings for me.

TonkaToys
08-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Eve Valkyrie removes requirement for PSVR...

The Warzone expansion introduces a huge range of exciting new features, with the biggest game changer being support for both standard and VR gameplay. PS4 and PS VR gamers will be able to fly and fight alongside each other in EVE: Valkyrie – Warzone, both in and out of virtual reality. We look forward to seeing the already intense competition between Valkyrie pilots going up a notch, as more players from around the world will be able to join existing pilots for all-action space-dogfighting battles.

More...
(http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/08/15/eve-valkyrie-warzone-expands-game-removes-need-for-ps-vr/)

So not a bad thing for PSVR actually, as it means a non-VR player can play with a VR player.

Have you tried this game yet guys?

Spike Forehand
08-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Eve Valkyrie removes requirement for PSVR...

More...
(http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/08/15/eve-valkyrie-warzone-expands-game-removes-need-for-ps-vr/)

So not a bad thing for PSVR actually, as it means a non-VR player can play with a VR player.

Have you tried this game yet guys?

Haven't ever tried Eve:Valkyrie. Reviews were mixed although some were huge fans.

Spike Forehand
08-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Finally scored a Farpoint bundle with the Aim controller. That's some great stuff right there. Game is pretty much an "on rails" shooter, but add VR and the Aim controller and it's really a good time. Was annoyed at first because turning was OFF by default for some reason. Once I got that turned on and was able to turn it was much better.

Prelim rating 8.5 for the game, solid 10 for the impressive AIM controller. Finally the promise of Duck Hunt becomes a reality!!

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/duck_hunt_dog_5776.png

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4wii5mcz5kY/maxresdefault.jpg

DeadChaos
09-28-2017, 06:34 AM
http://youtu.be/oIhRKlDUAnA

Spike Forehand
10-16-2017, 04:38 PM
PSVR Exclusive Golem Now Set For Early 2018 Launch (https://uploadvr.com/psvr-exclusive-golem-now-set-early-2018-launch/)

Developed by indie studio Highwire, Golem stars a young girl that discovers an ability to control stone creatures and explore the world beyond the confines of her bedroom. The game uses a single PlayStation Move controller to allow players to navigate the world and take part in massive sword battles. Highwire is comprised of former members of Halo developer Bungie, so we’ve got high hopes for the game.

Spike Forehand
10-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Holy shit does this look really good and perfect for PSVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKIondG63iU

Audio-Based Stealth Thriller Stifled Gets PSVR Release Date (https://uploadvr.com/audio-based-stealth-thriller-stifled-gets-psvr-release-date/)

In Stifled the world around you is pitch black. You illuminate the path in front of you by making sounds detected by PSVR’s microphone. Make too much noise, though, and you’ll also alert enemies to your position. It’s played with a DualShock 4 and also supports a non-VR mode. Check out the trailer below.

padz6545
10-16-2017, 04:46 PM
That's putting Alien Isolation together with Hellblade. That'll freak some people right out.

TonkaToys
10-17-2017, 02:26 AM
Shame they've stopped selling the VR headset separate from the camera... I've already got the camera, I don't need another.

Spike Forehand
11-06-2017, 02:52 PM
If anyone's been holding out for a good deal - this one's pretty good.

The PlayStation VR Skyrim VR Bundle includes the PS VR system, PlayStation Camera, two PlayStation Move controllers, and Skyrim VR - $450 (https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/11/06/introducing-the-playstation-vr-skyrim-vr-bundle/)

Spike Forehand
11-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Quick Review of Skyrim VR:

OK - So I've now played through the Bleak Falls Barrow/Golden Claw mission, and have had run-ins with a variety of wildlife/bandits/draugrs/pissed off villagers/chickens/foxes/bears and can say this game is really a pretty damn cool way to revisit a world I'm already familiar with in a whole new exciting way. I played a solid 4 hours - which is a really long time for me to play a VR game - and really enjoyed it.

Someone on Reddit had an interesting observation. They said that if we are in the 8-bit era of VR, then Skyrim VR is the Legend of Zelda.

I'm not going that far because of some of it's limitations, but I'm giving it a solid 8 out of 10. I highly recommend this experience to fans of Skyrim and PSVR owners.

Positive Observations:

- The immersion into the world is fantastic. I stood in awe for a few seconds at the smoke coming out of the forge in Riverwood and floating above me through the village. When you creep through Bleak Falls barrow it really is intense, and when a draugr comes running at you - he really comes running at you. The scale of everything is really huge. The enemies feel bigger and scarier, the world is gigantic, and standing on the edge of a cliff gives me legit butterflies. One guy on Reddit actually went to bed with the headset on laying down by a waterfall and slept there last night. Weird, but in a way I understand.

- Blasting magic out of your hands using the MOVE controllers feels really natural and works really well. It's awesome to toast a charging draugr, and then to cast a healing spell that actually surrounds you. I haven't tried dual-casting yet, but apparently you can blast enemies out of each hand independently in different directions - which is something you can't do with the DS.

- Archery with the Move controllers at first feels really hard, but once you start to get used to it is pretty cool. I think Archery in the other version of the game is OP - with the Move controllers it becomes much more realistic. You have to notch an arrow, pull back on the bow string while holding, aim, and let go to shoot. (I use it to initiate contact with enemies that haven't seen me yet, but then switch to destruction spell in left hand and a mace in my right as I am going with a Breton Battle Mage build initially.)

- Completing this game in VR will be a massive undertaking and probably take a good 2-3 years for me. And I'm OK with that.

- You don't have to play with the Move controllers, and can instead choose to play like you normally would with the Dual Shocks. I haven't tried this yet, as I just love the way the magic works with the move controllers. However, it will be easier as you don't have to sit up and ensure the move controllers stay in line of site the with cameras all the time - which is a little bit tiring on the back.

Negative Observations:

- Movement is awkward with the Move controllers and really takes some time to get used to. It will never be as smooth as moving with the DS controller. Most notably, there is no way to back up - you have to click the turn button and then move, then turn again. This doesn't work well when in combat with a rushing enemy. In Skyrim, you often end up circle strafing an enemy that rushes you. Impossible with the Move controllers as they are set up. As a result, playing with the Move controllers requires a lower difficulty level setting. I'm playing as Adept (3rd easiest out of 6 settings), and even there I believe I may end up turning the difficulty down once I get a little farther in the game. (I can imagine it taking me about 10000 tries to kill that first dragon with my underpowered CQB battle mage build.) However - as I said above you can always just play like normal with the dual shocks and I will try that.

- As a result of the movement issues, it will take a much longer time to get through missions and stuff, and because I don't usually play more than a couple of hours at a time in VR it will be slow going to play this with the Move controllers all the way.

- Once again, Bethesda has fucked up the surround sound in this game. Playing in my home theater with a 7.1 speaker set-up, it is only giving sound through front left and right speakers - so basically 2.0. Except that it still seems to be sending the sound to the center channel so as a result when an NPC is directly in front of me speaking you can't hear him unless you turn slightly to left or right so that his voice comes out of the left or right speakers. As a result, I am playing with a headset which seems to give fairly standard 2.0 stereo sound. There is nothing in the setting menu to change it at all, so I think Bethesda just said fuck it - leave it as stereo sound, not realizing that that would screw up when people were using surround sound set-ups. They probably figured most people would use the PSVR with a headset - which is probably true. Not sure if they will fix with a patch, or they will just ignore it like they did the sound problems with Skyrim Remastered.

- Compared to the Remastered version, definitely a big step back in graphic fidelity which gives a pang of disappointment when you first enter the world and in some of the familiar scenes. However, this is definitely offset by the intense immersion you feel. I have both on my PS4, so am basically given a choice right now between playing in VR with my Level 4 Battle Mage who hasn't even visited White Run yet, or my much further advanced sneaky archer Khajit build with all the shouts and stuff in Remastered. Never say never, but I can't see me re-loading the Remastered version when I can actually be IN Skyrim. For a PSVR game, it's not as pretty as Batman or RE7, but at least it doesn't at all cause me any discomfort at all despite the movements you make - meaning they are getting really high framerates as delivered.

- No way to see your character as it's all in first person perspective. Should at least put your image on a loadout screen or something.

TonkaToys
11-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Quick Review of Skyrim VR

Wow that sounds awesome. Thanks for the review