PDA

View Full Version : The PS4 can now emulate PlayStation 2 games

TonkaToys
11-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Not as good as the Xbox360 emulator and details are still sketchy, but the PS4 may be able to deliver PS2 emulation soon.

The results are rather impressive, too: 4x the resolution, anti-aliasing, solid 60 FPS.

If you own a PS4, I have good news: It is now capable of playing PS2 games through emulation. Rather unusually, though, Sony hasn't actually announced anything officially.

a Sony spokesperson then confirmed with Wired that the PS2 emulator exists: "We are working on utilising PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation. We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

Clickings for Artickly
(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2015/11/the-ps4-can-now-emulate-playstation-2-games/)

http://youtu.be/vA6TdEstNUg

Major Stains
11-20-2015, 07:54 AM
I just saw this story on another site.
Hmm if they can run an emulator for digital, then they can for disc too. Maybe my copy of Micro Machines in the loft will see the light of day...

Gink
11-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Everything I've read about it has been rather vague and perplexing.
Apparently they revealed the existence of the emulator to devs in January 2014. So nearly 2 years with no other word of it. Including saying nothing about it after the big MS backwards compatibility announcement.

Now it exists for consumers, but there's been no announcement.

Everything seems to be pointing to them planning to sell us the emulated games. So again, no response to MS backwards compatibility.

I just saw this story on another site.
Hmm if they can run an emulator for digital, then they can for disc too. Maybe my copy of Micro Machines in the loft will see the light of day...

Seems like they should be able to, since it is clearly running the original code and just upscaling some assets. MS backwards compatabilty just gives you a digital download when you enter your disk, with any luck PS would offer something similar so we could either use our past gen disks to get emulated digital copies for free, or run the games directly from disk. Not holding my breath though. Again, with PS4 outselling XB1 2 to 1, Sony has far less incentive to offer up freebies to its customers. Demonstrated clearly by 2 years of mediocrity of PS+ for PS4, and the fact that the biggest feature add we've seen since the console release is communities.

Honestly, with what MS has offered it's customers, if Sony asks us to buy all our 2 gens ago games over again, I really hope to see some outrage from their customers.

Retro
11-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I hope they don't go the nickel and dime route, I've got a large stack of PS2 games and my PS2 is dead.

I haven't looked as I have zero interest in PS Now, but are there PS2 games on the service or is this possibly what they are doing?

Gink
11-20-2015, 04:54 PM
I hope they don't go the nickel and dime route, I've got a large stack of PS2 games and my PS2 is dead.

I haven't looked as I have zero interest in PS Now, but are there PS2 games on the service or is this possibly what they are doing?

Not sure, I can't find anything in the store. The only article I've found that mentioned how they got games for the emulator says they "entered a psn download code".

Sony has also apparently been asked about disk based emulation and refused to comment one way or the other.