PDA

View Full Version : A mini non spoiler leveling guide

Sylent
03-08-2016, 06:48 PM
So I have had an absolute blast with the Division so far. From what I can tell leveling happens at a steady pace. I have not seen a significant slow down from 4-16 really. Here is how I have done so...

1. Go to each "zone" in your current level range. I often had a mission to go to the next zone's safe house.

2. Each zone has a safe house or base. Head there first thing.

3. Talk to JTF representative and also check the bulletin board. This will populate the map with encounters and side missions.

4. Do all side missions and encounters from left to right / top to bottom whatever.

5. End with the main mission. These seem to have been unlocked every time I went into the zone doing this method. When done don't forget to head back and talk to the JTF guy for a zone completion reward.

6. I would not say I am ignoring the collectibles but I am not going out of the way to grab them...there are tons!!!

7. Doing this has gotten me 1-2 levels per zone. I am seeing everything and enjoying it a lot. I hope this helps.

Some side notes.. There seems to be restocks everywhere. I never really HAVE to go to a base unless I so choose to do so.

I am almost always broke... I have nothing to sell.. I break everything down.. Which leads me to crafting. It is friggin amazing, i can easily make amazing gear from blue prints which are rewarded from the above side missions and encounters. This costs no credits. If you lack the rare components you can combine common ones into more rare components.

What credits in do have I use on another crafting table you have to unlock which allows for retooling.. Or basically swapping a crappy stat for a one you want( you pick it!)

If you bought the best gear each time you could never afford more than 1-2 pieces every 3-4 levels.. Crafting I can generally make 3-4 pieces for "free" every 1-2 levels.

Playing this way felt very organic. Maybe it is down right obvious but I just wanted to give a few pointers.

Last tidbit the map zones are not progressively harder. There are easier zones next to higher zones, that are next to mid tier zones. So be careful where you are roaming;)

Don't be afraid to die! It happens.

Uglyduck213
03-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Great info man, Thanks!

Major Stains
03-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Thanks Sylent, great help.

I've just got my head around the shooting/ cover mechanics, but still like a bewildered child in sweet shop with the crafting elements.
So any tips are much appreciated, especially if they are written down as if you are explaining them to a 6 y/o as I might have a chance to understand them! :baby:

There is too much to remember, but is the simple rule of thumb to just keep upgrading everything? New colour gear, higher numbers like Destiny? Craft better atachments? Dump/ Dismantle lower colour/ number gear?

When you see a pick-up that says 'loot all' it doesn't take the whole contents does it, leaving nothing left for teammates? I was worried I was grabbing all the loot for myself!?!
I sound stupid, as I'm sure Destiny was very similar.

After a few hours, it feels like I will enjoy putting in alot of time into this game over Destiny (for me that is).
The locations, side missions, characters, multiplayer options all seem so much more enjoyable to me as I never really got into shooting weird insect things (I enjoy shooting alien freaks in Star Wars, but I think thats because I have such an attachment with the back story).

Sorry, I'm rambling on. Thanks again for the tips man.

See you guys out there.

Nighthawk2981
03-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Loot it all! That just means you are taking everything YOU find. The next guy in your crew will get his own stuff right after you. The only time you take everything from the rest of your crew is from backpacks and small loot bags.

Major Stains
03-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Loot it all! That just means you are taking everything YOU find. The next guy in your crew will get his own stuff right after you. The only time you take everything from the rest of your crew is from backpacks and small loot bags.

Cheers mate. I didn't know that last bit. Might explain why my teammates weren't talking to me! lol

Sylent
03-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Loot wise and equipment wise. I think you should focus on 2 of the 3 stats.

Health being a major one especially for solo play. I try to keep my firearms and stamina about the same. I have neglected my electronics score as this only effects your skills. So more damage on grenades, longer effects, stronger effects better heals etc etc. i mainly use pulse and the heal and they seem to function fine without ta ton of additional boost.

Gear wise, it is really random. I have seen pieces of equipment that "rolled" really great stats and are better than things 5 levels higher that had a low roll.

Nighthawk2981
03-09-2016, 08:24 AM
I've been getting a lot of random gear. I would pick up a good blue piece of gear and then find a green piece with better stats.

Major Stains
03-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Does your gear depriciate DPS (damage per second) over time?

I was sure I had a rifle with over 2000 DPS, had a few encounters, then when I next checked it was in the 1900's!

Sylent
03-09-2016, 06:44 PM
A piece of gear might have had + damage on it. That would be my guess.

Sylent
03-09-2016, 06:51 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160309/ae7fee4959deeac2ca5c57f26cfa1762.jpg here is my leveling progress for the day. Some things I noticed.

1. I am still following the same leveling strategy. I am now 2-3 levels higher than the next zone. Strange seeing how I am following the story. It still is a challenge though and is still crazy fun!!!

2. I grouped with Mitch for a bit he was 9 at the time and I was 25. It brought everything up to level 20. Essentially making it really easy for me and impossible for him. However he did get some decent exp with 1 side mission and 1 main story mission he got to level 11.

3. I have not been crafting since I out leveled the blue prints dropping. I can now buy much better things. I can now also afford them as blues which are numerous now sell for over 2k and greens about 1.5k. With purple weapons from the high end vendor being 35-45 k I am easily paying for anything I want. So I guess craft early spend later.

4. Try not to look at only DPS. My sniper (which I never leave without now) can 1-2 shot most enemies around my level. However it has 5k less DPS than my assault rifle. Shotguns fall into this category too.

Wepa Pr85
03-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Check that you meet the talent requirements thats the only way i can think of your DPS dropping

Does your gear depriciate DPS (damage per second) over time?

I was sure I had a rifle with over 2000 DPS, had a few encounters, then when I next checked it was in the 1900's!

Major Stains
03-10-2016, 10:49 AM
I've still so much to do (can't believe people have finished it already!), that I haven't even scratched the DZ in the full game yet.
I ventured in solo on the Beta, but didn't really know what I was doing then.

I get the concept of what you have to do in there and what to watch out for, but are there any tips to follow when I go in this time?
Eg Do I stash most of my gear at base (can it get taken?)
Are any of my stats from the main area carried into the DZ, or do I go in like the day I was born?

Any advice most welcome thanks...

HardlyCapable13
03-10-2016, 11:04 AM
2. I grouped with Mitch for a bit he was 9 at the time and I was 25. It brought everything up to level 20. Essentially making it really easy for me and impossible for him. However he did get some decent exp with 1 side mission and 1 main story mission he got to level 11.

This is exactly why I will regret buying this game. I don't have the time to put into it like others and will quickly be left behind in levels, such is the MMORPG...

Sylent
03-10-2016, 12:45 PM
There are 4 slots, I plan on leveling another to keep close to people.

On that note.. I hit 30 with 2 full zones left to explore and 1 main mission.

Also when I finish that mission I should have a 100% completed base.

HardlyCapable13
03-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Also when I finish that mission I should have a 100% completed base.

Damn! How man hours? Seems awfully fast.

Major Stains
03-10-2016, 12:58 PM
Damn! How many hours? Seems awfully fast.

Would be worrying to see the DZ full of bored/ maxed out experts, just kicking noobs like me into the dirt until more DLC drops...
Oh wait. That sounds like every game I play!

HardlyCapable13
03-10-2016, 01:10 PM
To second Stains' question, I am also wondering if weapons/gear wear out or break down over time.

Sylent
03-10-2016, 08:47 PM
This will be my last update. Following this method I reached level 30 and completed all base upgrades with 2 full zones I have still not touched. I was able to solo pretty easily in the DZ and went from 1-24 in about 4 hourshttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160311/a7c5e76f1a32dd624c99427c7f07cfe6.jpg
I was able to get 200 Phoenix credits in that time also and purchased the Liberator blue print. All in all great time and can't wait for more no to hit 30. I will love helping you all!

Uglyduck213
03-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Sylent gave me a good tip early on. Uprgrade the Tech Wing with the Recalibration module (200 credits) to alter a piece of gear's stats. Super helpful when starting out.

Here's a video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBS85gIWfDc

Sylent
03-11-2016, 08:03 PM
Super helpful later on too! Just more expensive hah!

srmullan
03-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the tips. Im glad to know I'm not completely hopeless and that I was already doing most of these things.

Scottgun00
03-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the recalibration video. It really drives home the point that there is more to this game than just maxing out your DPS.

reerdo
03-16-2016, 06:51 AM
This is a great little thread with some real golden nuggets of info that are so easily missed.

Really enjoying myself in the game and leveling really isn't a chore as I don't find myself actually checking my level that much and just enjoy wandering round doing the encounters and side missions. Been caught out a couple of times roaming into a Zone that I so was prepared for gear wise :)