PDA

View Full Version : PS4K Pro/ PS4 Slim

Major Stains
04-20-2016, 02:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8BK-TuFGR4

Following article taken from Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-sonys-plan-for-playstation-4k-neo-revealed)

Ever since the mid-generational PlayStation 4 upgrade was revealed, and then confirmed, the big story we've all been chasing is the complete lowdown of the hardware specification. We're still not entirely sure why Sony is looking to release a mid-gen upgrade to its massively successful console, but at least now we have a firmer lock on the technological boosts Sony is bringing to the table, courtesy of this Giant Bomb report.

Let's take a look at the three core component upgrades:

CPU: The good news is that there will be a CPU upgrade over the lacklustre x86 cores found in PlayStation 4. The bad news is that the cores themselves have not been changed at all - they have simply been overclocked from 1.6GHz to 2.1GHz - a 31 per cent improvement. As with the current PlayStation 4, one core and a time-slice from another is reserved for the operating system.

Memory: We're still at 8GB of GDDR5, with a 24 per cent boost to bandwidth compared to the original PS4. The current machine uses 5.5gbps memory modules. Basic maths suggests that Sony has pushed this to the same 7.0gbps modules we see on high-end graphics cards like the GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti. There are some concerns here. The boost to bandwidth isn't exactly huge, it will still be in contention with CPU utilisation (they both share the same interface), and the bandwidth doesn't scale particularly well with the mooted GPU boost, which - to be frank - is massive.

GPU: This is the most exciting aspect of the spec. Compute unit count doubles from 18 to 36, and clock-speed increases from 800MHz to 911MHz - a 14 per cent increase. That's an overall increase of 2.3x in FLOPs. The question is, what technology is being used here? AMD has created both of its current-gen console processors so far by taking older, off-the-shelf components and disabling a couple of compute units. In effect, Xbox One got the Radeon HD 7790, while PlayStation 4 got a more capable, semi-custom Radeon HD 7870. Here's where things get interesting - the 36 compute unit count cannot comfortably fit any of AMD's existing GPUs. It suggests that Sony and AMD have pushed the boat out, that they are using the upcoming Polaris technology.

Specifically, 36 compute units paired with a 256-bit memory bus sounds uncannily like the rumoured spec for one of two new Radeon graphics chips AMD has in development, codenamed Polaris 10. AMD itself hasn't revealed any official data on this processor yet, but canny enthusiasts have pieced together the spec by isolating Polaris 10's hardware ID from a Linus kernel submission, then comparing it to a Sisoft benchmark run. Curiously, this Polaris test run is carried out with an 800MHz clock-speed and 6gbps GDDR5 memory - a downgrade from the mooted PS4 spec. Some believe it may be the result of pre-production silicon, but it may also be a simulated run for a laptop variant of the processor where lower clocks are a prerequisite.
polaris

Assuming Neo benefits from AMD's new Polaris technology, we'll see a bunch of useful efficiency enhancements from the revised architecture as well as a raw boost to overall FLOPs.

We suspect the situation will become clear quite shortly, but for now, the balance of probabilities suggests that PlayStation 4K will feature AMD's next-gen graphics tech as opposed to older chip designs. Sony specifically says that an 'Improved AMD GCN' is used, giving us only two real alternatives to choose from - Polaris, which almost certainly has 36 compute units, or the older Tonga, which definitely has just 32. Sony's documentation mentions new GPU instructions exclusive to Neo, which would again support the idea of a more modern architecture. However, to play Devil's Advocate, we should stress that neither 14nm technology, nor Polaris itself are explicitly mentioned by Sony.

Our concern was that PS4's low-level APIs may not be compatible with the newer architecture, meaning problems running older games, but it seems that this is not an issue. And the good news here is that Polaris' efficiency improvements could add still further to the expected increase in performance. Certainly, we should expect to see cumulative improvements to memory compression, which should help us to get more out of the constricted 256-bit GDDR5 interface. To the best of our knowledge, there were no such technologies in place on the original PlayStation 4.
How two PlayStations will co-exist: Base and Neo modes

Sony seemingly acknowledges the need to integrate the two models of PlayStation 4 available simultaneously on the market - internally dubbed as 'Base' and 'Neo'. There will be no games exclusive to the Neo model, every title will be available on both, and there's no suggestion of VR-exclusive Neo modes at this point. Developers are prohibited from creating Neo-exclusive gameplay features, and enhancements are expected to be graphical and performance-based in nature. Gamers on both systems will be tied into the same ecosystem, meaning that users of both models will be competing against one another in online games. The user interface and PSN systems will also be identical.

The big question is just what is possible using the enhanced hardware. The need to support existing PlayStation 4 hardware puts a ceiling on the kind of experiences developers can offer - any kind of multi-platform development is defined by the lowest common denominator, and it's rare to find a developer that will dedicate significant resources to a small minority of users.

Expect to see better performance for new - and patched - PlayStation 4 titles. Based on what we've seen of Final Fantasy 15, some games could really benefit. We just hope it doesn't open to the door to unoptimised code for older PS4 hardware.

Well, according to Sony's own documents, there is a focus on delivering 4K gaming content, though upscaling to UHD resolution is likely. Owners of 1080p screens can expect benefits too, explicitly stated as:

Higher frame-rates
More stable frame-rates
Improved graphics fidelity
Additional graphics features

Sony describes 'forward compatibility' via patches, allowing developers to revisit their existing PS4 library and add Neo features to existing games. Sony has opened up more memory for Neo titles too. Quite why this extra RAM can't be given to games running in Base mode isn't revealed but Sony states that Neo titles will have access to 5.5GB of memory, with 512MB "only available" for Neo mode. Sony also reveals that the background media functions of the PS4 "might be" expanded - such as the addition of 1080p gameplay recording.
What isn't in PlayStation 4K/Neo

In our original piece on PS4K, we suggested that Sony may be looking to add support for higher colour gamuts and high-dynamic range - part and parcel of the new UHD 4K spec and definitely supported in upcoming Radeon hardware from AMD. It is not mentioned at all in Sony's documentation, though the support should be there as the platform holder will be using AMD's display blocks. The omission says to us that it's simply not a priority at this time.

There's also no indication at all that any of the functionality found in PlayStation VR's external processing box will make its way into the Neo hardware, nor is there any mention at all that Neo will benefit PSVR, though we would expect that the same base/Neo spec differentiation will apply to those titles just as they would to any PS4 game.

On top of that, while the documentation says that the hard drive will remain the same (Sony has several in circulation, so we assume it means 2.5-inch laptop drives generally) there are no indications of any changes to the Blu-ray drive. This is surprising, as we would have assumed that Sony would take this opportunity to support the new UHD 4K movie standard, supporting standard 50GB discs along with 66GB and 100GB variants. For now it seems that developers are set to stick with 50GB of storage.
psvr2

There have been some murmurings of PSVR's external processing box being fully integrated into the new PlayStation. There's no indication that this is true, based on the documentation we have seen.
When is PlayStation 4K/Neo coming out?

Developers have the ability to add Neo support to their existing PlayStation 4 titles coming out in September via a day one patch, while dual base/Neo supported titles are expected to arrive from October onwards. Sony isn't telling developers when the unit will actually launch and states that it's perfectly OK with Neo-compatible titles shipping before the actual hardware. Either the platform holder is playing its cards close to its chest or else the firm itself simply isn't clear when it plans to launch the kit.
I was patched out of EVE Online How one update ended a six-year career. I was patched out of EVE Online

Everything about this hardware spec suggests it is indeed running on 14nm processor fabrication technology, and demand for that is set to rocket in Q4 this year. AMD itself will be launching its new graphics technology in the same window, while the demand from mobile phone manufacturers will be immense too. It may well be the case that Sony may not be able to accommodate demand, and may delay as a result. All we know about this from the Neo documents is that prototype development and debugging hardware will be recalled in January, replaced with 'mass produced' units. Historically, this tends to happen on or after launch.

HardlyCapable13
04-20-2016, 02:57 PM
I absolutely despise this direction.

Spike Forehand
04-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I absolutely despise this direction.

I like the backwards compatibility - which imo was mandatory for a mid-generation upgrade. Also nice to see the ability for older titles to have neo-compatible patches.

Will wait for final reviews before buying, but if it's true that this will make VR even better, then I'm in.

DeadChaos
04-21-2016, 03:51 AM
The moment I'm told that I can not play multiplayer with someone on Neo because I have a base version....console gaming is over for me.

They claim nothing will be exclusive to either console but I find that hard to believe and these people have gone back on their word many times before. If this is not a big issue then I would expect to be able to play the same game on PS3 with people on the PS4 which is not the case regardless if PS+ is not required to play PS3 online. They have to use some kind of a strategy to ensure the Neo sells well so will be interesting to see if they just rely on VR alone.

DeadChaos
06-23-2016, 04:32 AM
"Neo Won't Shorten PS4 Lifecycle, Sony Boss Says"
The release of Sony's more-powerful PlayStation 4, codenamed Neo, doesn't mean the lifecycle for the existing console is going to end earlier than expected. PlayStation Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said in a new interview that the Neo is not expected to replace the PS4.

"Well no, PS4 is PS4, you know the new high-end PS4 is still PS4, so you know the lifecycle is not going to be shorter," Yoshida said in an interview with Gameswelt.TV (via NeoGAF).

He was responding to a question about if console generations were getting shorter as companies like Sony (and Microsoft with Project Scorpio) release hardware upgrades before a console cycle has ended.

From the way Yoshida answered the question, it seems like he wants to stress that Neo and PS4 will complement each other. Neo will be the more high-end (and thus more expensive) model, while the standard version will be more affordable and still capable of hosting great-looking games such as Uncharted 4: A Thief's End.

Yoshida's comments match up with what PlayStation president Andrew House said this month when he announced Neo. "It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4," he said at the time. "We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle."

As for why Sony is introducing new hardware in this way to begin with, House said it comes down to how the company is responding to consumer behavior.

"The consumer is attuned to a different cadence of innovation in technology thanks in great part for the upgrades cadence on mobile phones or PCs," House said of this new strategy to offer a more powerful version of the same system.

Nothing like Neo or Scorpio happened in the last console cycle. The PlayStation 3 launched in 2006, with the PS4 arriving seven years later in 2013. On the other side of the fence, the Xbox 360 debuted in 2005, and the Xbox One came out in 2013.

Neo is currently without a release date, but a report said it would arrive this year, while Scorpio is scheduled to launch in holiday 2017. There is no word yet on pricing for either system. In terms of specs, it sounds like Microsoft believes it has the stronger system, as it describes Scorpio as the "most powerful console ever made."

Looking further out, Sony is reportedly unsure if there will ever be a PlayStation 5."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/neo-wont-shorten-ps4-lifecycle-sony-boss-says/1100-6441129/

Somehow I do not believe him. Surely developers will concentrate on developing games for the more powerfull system and less effort and resources will placed on the standard PS4 or will games start to get graphical settings like on PC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upk5CSemJ60&feature=em-uploademail

Not the best video but I thought you guys might enjoy the eye candy.

Spike Forehand
08-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Sony to announce not only Neo but also a slim PS4 version at lower price in September:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/22/12582288/sony-ps4-slim-console-4k-wsj

Sony will show off a new slimmer version of its current PlayStation 4 console next month, The Wall Street Journal reports, a smaller and less expensive machine that would go on sale alongside the upgraded 4K-capable PS4 that the company described earlier this year. The news comes soon after pictures appeared in an online auction that appeared to show a thinner and smaller PlayStation 4, suggesting that we may already have had our first glimpse at the device in question.

I think the key for the Neo to be successful is that it incorporates the ability to play Ultra HD 4k discs. One of the original reasons I used to justify buying PS3 was it's built in Bluray player. I think Sony would be very smart to give that same capability in the new PS4. However, at this point 4k content on discs is just starting and probably doesn't have as much legs as bluray did, as people are a lot less likely to buy physical discs these days (I know that I stopped buying blurays or DVD's a couple years ago). Has anyone heard that neo will have this ability?

DeadChaos
09-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Planning on buying a second console for the bedroom so if the upgraded PS4 is a decent price I'll pick it up otherwise the slim one will have to do. Not to bothered with the VR and slightly improved graphics so this will all come down to price for me.

GRRowl74
09-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Been saving up, and I am now on the verge of buying another ps4 for the house(=me) since my son is hogging it all the time. But if there's a new one on the way, maybe I should wait? If nothing else for the price to drop a bit on the "old" model. What say you, friends?

DeadChaos
09-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I'd definitely wait till the release date\price is announced next week. Between the slim and old model my pick would be the slim, just hope they atleast release a 1\2TB model, not going for 500GB again.

Spike Forehand
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I had this on my list to get, but it's pretty low priority for the immediate future. Eventually, if I upgrade my home theater projector to 4k then I think something like this will be a must buy for the 4k capability, but since it's not required for PSVR and games will probably be slow to offer "neo enhanced" versions, I'm gonna wait a bit. Of course, I'll probably change my mind after the press conference cause I'm a sucker for a good marketing pitch.

GRRowl74
09-17-2016, 04:10 PM
I've preordered the pro. Now, I don't know if it's just my usual impatient self, the price, or the fact that they couldn't bloody launch the darn things simultaneouly, nooo - had to have like two months in between!

But I'm thinkin' - why don't I just go for a slim instead? It's:
- cheaper
- slimmer (duh!) fits for travel.
Might be nice if I want to take it with me on trips for work.
- It's almost here! It launches like - what? it launched already!
- and it's cheaper too, did I mention that?
- and I don't own a 4k HDR TV, and don't have the money to buy one OR a VR set any time soon, certainly not if I spend all my savings on the pro.

So, am I looking at the sensible choice on the slim here, guys? Or is it just impatience?

EDIT. I have one thing though, so far - the slim has only come in 500 gb versions. I really had my mind set on 1 tb

AK-Muhly7
09-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Honestly its a no buy for me. Unless you have 4ktv there is no reason to purchase it. All it is...is a graphics upgrade and ts not native 4k. Also it does not support 4k disks and I don't care for VR. What sucks about the slim is there is no optical port (if you wanna use really good headphones)...other than that.. there the same. HDR will be supported through all the machines eventually. Ill just wait until the next system launches ..and I would guess that will be in the next few years. I don't plan on buying a 4k tv this year either. 1000-1500 bucks for a decent 4k tv...(the ones with HDR are still expensive) then another 400 on a system. Nnnaaa I''m good.

AK-Muhly7
09-17-2016, 06:30 PM
So, am I looking at the sensible choice on the slim here, guys? Or is it just impatience?

slim! :becky::gamer:

HardlyCapable13
09-17-2016, 06:37 PM
No optical port? Why would they get rid of that?

AK-Muhly7
09-17-2016, 06:51 PM
No optical port? Why would they get rid of that?

Some people said costs...but optical ports are cheap. I think Sony wants to push people to buy their headphones. That would be my guess.

HardlyCapable13
09-17-2016, 07:12 PM
Some people said costs...but optical ports are cheap. I think Sony wants to push people to buy their headphones. That would be my guess.

Wow. Not cool.

GRRowl74
09-18-2016, 01:46 AM
slim! :becky::gamer:

Thanks for the input, Mofo. I think I'm probably gonna go for the slim - see if I can find it in the 1tb version first.

DeadChaos
09-18-2016, 08:22 AM
I bought a slim 500GB for the bedroom for 250. I only play 2 multiplayer and one single player game at a time so space is not much of a problem for me. Digital games are added to my library for future download when deleting a completed game to free up space. I upgraded my broadband to fibre as well so downloading is super fast, no problems downloading a game again if needed or popping in the disc again. I can always upgrade the HDD in future if needed. In regards to the optical port, I don't use it so no loss there.

The slim is quiet but I have not tried playing a game with a disc yet, otherwise it is super quiet. Biggest plus for me is that I can now play multiplayer with my son with one PS+ sub and only one digital copy of the game. Only minor problem is that since my son does not have PS+ he can only launch the game from one console so we either sit in the house with headsets on or we just stream one console via PC if we need to sit in the same room so again, very minor problem. The console activated in my name with my digital content is locked for him so if he wants to use my content he will always have to use the console activated in his name if that makes sense. The new light on the touch pad of the controller is a nice touch and it now has physical buttons on the console instead of the touch sensitive ones on the old model.

GRRowl74
09-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Thanks, DC! I actually ended up ordering the 1 tb slim version. I tend to worry about space, and I suspect I'll be downloading more games than I buy physical copies in the future, and this video sharing thing is kind of growing on me - so more room makes sense.

Prices are a bit higher here with taxes. Leave it to Norway to make expensive things more expensive. Can't figure out why the price difference between the Pro and the Slim 1 tb model seems so small, though - only approx 500 NOK, which is like 64 dollars or 48 pounds. It's money, alright, but I was expecting the gap to be a bit bigger. From the 500 gb Slim to the Pro the difference is twice that.

Biggest plus for me is that I can now play multiplayer with my son with one PS+ sub and only one digital copy of the game.

I'm looking forward to being able to play games with my eldest(besides getting destroyed in Fifa, that is) I may even convince him to try R6, he says. A bit shy to play MP coop by himself, at least with a mic. Not too strong in english yet, either. But DC - how can you play the same game together with only one copy and one PS+?

DeadChaos
09-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IyNsnUxcm8&index=8&list=WL

GRRowl74
09-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Check out this video.

Thanks, I think I got it now.

http://m.popkey.co/6bbfda/eWqlr_f-maxage-0.gif

GRRowl74
09-20-2016, 05:51 AM
1 tb Slim in the mail, this Friday will be a good one.

TonkaToys
09-20-2016, 06:41 AM
Nice!

GRRowl74
09-23-2016, 12:09 PM
And here was I, happy as a camper can be, in the post office to pick up my Slim. Of course, I could have checked the release date, and then I'd know that the 1tb doesn't come out until the 29th. Still, why send this huge box with just the extra controller in it. I mean, you'd think somewhere in that automated system of robots for picking and robots for packing there should be a robot for thinking as well. Like thinking: Would this costumer like his gaming console at the same time as his extra controller, or does he want to sit with said controller in his hand for a week, staring at the blank screen, waiting for the damn console to arrive. Something like that. Or whatever. No games for me this weekend then. Mope.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160923/e2851e205a27f0a8a4dc71b13502e8da.jpg

Major Stains
09-23-2016, 01:43 PM
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/73405/homero-ouch-o.gif

DeadChaos
09-23-2016, 02:24 PM
And here was I, happy as a camper can be, in the post office to pick up my Slim. Of course, I could have checked the release date, and then I'd know that the 1tb doesn't come out until the 29th. Still, why send this huge box with just the extra controller in it. I mean, you'd think somewhere in that automated system of robots for picking and robots for packing there should be a robot for thinking as well. Like thinking: Would this costumer like his gaming console at the same time as his extra controller, or does he want to sit with said controller in his hand for a week, staring at the blank screen, waiting for the damn console to arrive. Something like that. Or whatever. No games for me this weekend then. Mope.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160923/e2851e205a27f0a8a4dc71b13502e8da.jpg

They just sent you the controller??? That is ridiculous, never seen anything like that.

Suby_Greg
09-24-2016, 07:30 PM
I ordered the pro and bought a Samsung ks8000 49 inch for the man cave. Seems HDR is the real upgrade over 4K from all I've read

GRRowl74
09-25-2016, 08:17 AM
I ordered the pro and bought a Samsung ks8000 49 inch for the man cave. Seems HDR is the real upgrade over 4K from all I've read

Sounds sweet. Would have stuck with the pro myself, but I concluded that I probably won't invest in a 4k TV any time soon, and if I did manage to sell the idea of a new TV set, it most definately would not be going into the man cave.

Gink
09-25-2016, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, been pondering a second PS4 purchase for a long time to add to our co-op options around here. My first instinct was to just pick up another original since their price is sure to drop (just saw the Uncharted 4 edition for $279, not bad). But with the slim at only $299, started to ponder going that direction.

The removal of the optical port has me thrown though. My current headset uses it, so I guess I'd be chained to the original. Are there that many headsets that don't use optical though? The wife currently has an inexpensive headset that I believe plugs into the controller, but if we were using them more, I'd expect she'd want a nicer set eventually, wouldn't want to be too limited on choices.

Also, any idea if you can swap the hard drive as easily on the slim? That's been a pretty standard PS feature, so I would be surprised if they pulled it. Not a total deal breaker since our original with it's 2TB upgraded drive will stay the main console, but we buy 95% digital and with the size of today's games, I'd rather throw at least a 1TB in right away, and buying a drive is almost always cheaper than paying for the versions with bigger drives.

Suby_Greg
09-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Hmmm, been pondering a second PS4 purchase for a long time to add to our co-op options around here. My first instinct was to just pick up another original since their price is sure to drop (just saw the Uncharted 4 edition for $279, not bad). But with the slim at only $299, started to ponder going that direction.

The removal of the optical port has me thrown though. My current headset uses it, so I guess I'd be chained to the original. Are there that many headsets that don't use optical though? The wife currently has an inexpensive headset that I believe plugs into the controller, but if we were using them more, I'd expect she'd want a nicer set eventually, wouldn't want to be too limited on choices.

Also, any idea if you can swap the hard drive as easily on the slim? That's been a pretty standard PS feature, so I would be surprised if they pulled it. Not a total deal breaker since our original with it's 2TB upgraded drive will stay the main console, but we buy 95% digital and with the size of today's games, I'd rather throw at least a 1TB in right away, and buying a drive is almost always cheaper than paying for the versions with bigger drives.

Sony's gold and platinum headsets don't use an optical port. While it may seem like Sony is trying to push consumers to buy their headsets, the pro has the optical port. So cost cutting on the slim...

Here's a slim hd removal video. He does a PlayStation channel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBJgmoDp7I

GRRowl74
09-25-2016, 04:25 PM
Yeah, harddrive switch seems easy enough. I went for the Slim 1tb, launches on the 29th. Personally I prefer having the headset connected via the controller, gives me more freedom. If I had an expensive headset, I'd probably break it anyway. Incidentally, that's also what I do with expensive sunglasses.

Gink
09-25-2016, 07:54 PM
Looks like slim drive swap is similar to on the 3 slim. Little door instead of taking the top panel off on the 4. Easy enough either way.

I don't like my current headset as much as my old one. It's wireless, which is nice, but the usb/optical hookup thing is pretty funky sticking out the front of the console. Plugging into the controller really isn't bad, since you pretty much always want your controller and headset close to each other, right?

1TB Slim would probably be all we need. We'll just have to decide whether we are going to put it in the bedroom, where we already have a TV, or try to come up with some crazy dual-TV/dual-console co-op setup in the living room. Might hold out for a bigger price drop on an original in that case to have more budget for another TV.

TonkaToys
09-26-2016, 02:55 AM
You'll have to give us a review Greg when you get your hands on the Pro.

GRRowl74
09-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Slim 1tb ETA this friday. The store smacked up a +Fifa17 deal this week at the same price as I preordered for weeks ago. So much for rewarding the preorders. But I used my good old consumer journalist skills and now they're sending me the game free of charge. Mohahaaaa!

Major Stains
09-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Slim 1tb ETA this friday. The store smacked up a +Fifa17 deal this week at the same price as I preordered for weeks ago. So much for rewarding the preorders. But I used my good old consumer journalist skills and now they're sending me the game free of charge. Mohahaaaa!

Don't get upset if just the game arrives on Friday but the Slim Jim will be another week! ;)

GRRowl74
09-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Don't get upset if just the game arrives on Friday but the Slim Jim will be another week! ;)

That would go down in history as The Rudest Customer Service Call Ever Made.

jzprice
09-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Sony's gold and platinum headsets don't use an optical port. While it may seem like Sony is trying to push consumers to buy their headsets, the pro has the optical port. So cost cutting on the slim...

Here's a slim hd removal video. He does a PlayStation channel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBJgmoDp7I

If it's any help, I own the Sony Gold headsets and love them. Picked them up originally for $100, but see them frequently go for $70 nowadays at Target and WalMart etc...they always have a great connection, battery life is solid, and a big fan of the noise cancellation. Also, they come with an audio cable if you ever want to use them with your computer or phone.

Suby_Greg
09-27-2016, 08:43 PM
Here an article with hands on for the PRO. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-three-hours-with-playstation-4-pro

And here is a video from the same group https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBlwdkHWFs

Every game will be different in terms of the upgrade, since it's up to the developers. But there will be an upgrade even if you don't have a 4K tv says Sony

DeadChaos
11-04-2016, 08:23 AM
"PS4 Pro Unboxing - 4K And HDR Gaming"

http://youtu.be/Q3ZA5ceI-Zw

Spike Forehand
11-06-2016, 08:41 AM
PS4 Pro looking more and more like a must buy for PSVR or if you have a 4k TV, with a nice bonus for even 1080p TV's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdTsmuDF3FI

Probably still gonna wait till spring time as I have already spent a shit-ton of money this fall, but I do believe that eventually I will do this upgrade.

Spike Forehand
11-12-2016, 11:22 AM
First comparison I have found specifically talking about improvements for PSVR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4Tifd5SdY

Short story is that so far is that while id definitely improves graphics in PSVR, it doesn't look like enough of an upgrade in graphics with existing titles to make it worth it. Only problem I see with the test they ran was that it was using "Robinson: The Journey" for comparison - which looks to be a fairly slow moving game.

Will be interesting to see similar comparisons for Gran Turismo when it comes out as I believe the most challenging games for PSVR will be these faster moving racing games which go for photo-realistic graphics. If we see a big difference I am guessing it will be with games like that.

TonkaToys
12-13-2016, 08:30 AM
It looks like the PS4 Pro may give an advantage over standard PS4 players in MP games, such as BF1, because of the increased frame rate. Up until now I'd only seen that it was meant to improve the quality of what you are seeing.

Hardware tiering is also starting to have an effect on the multiplayer scene in some console games. While Battlefield 1 runs acceptably on the standard PS4, Digital Foundry found that PS4 Pro players can get up to 47 percent more frames per second in common multiplayer scenarios. That's important in a highly competitive twitch shooter, where smoothing out your aiming control and seeing movements a few milliseconds before your opponents can be vitally important.

Click me a few milliseconds later than I click you, for more
(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/12/is-older-hardware-in-danger-of-being-left-behind-by-pro-game-consoles-2/)

DeadChaos
12-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Does that really make such a big difference? I mean how do PC players cope with FPS who all have different graphic cards/monitors with frames better than the other? A scout/assault/medic is still going to kill a support player first, PS4 Pro or not. :whistle (2):

TonkaToys
12-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Well when you are as bad as me, you need all the extra time you can get to drag your bullets onto the target :ak: :dance:

DeadChaos
01-10-2017, 04:46 AM
Not a fan of white but have to admit, me like.

"A new colour variation for PS4 comes with 500GB HD and Glacier White Dualshock 4"

http://youtu.be/T_zBs5mzt_c

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/01/10/introducing-the-new-glacier-white-playstation-4-out-24th-january/

tthfry
04-25-2017, 04:08 AM
I am very tempted to trade in my "old" PS4 for a Pro at GameStop next week. They have an offer in DACH region - 99 bucks for the pro in exchange for the old console and 2 games (here you go, GameStop, take my Battlefront and Battleborn I picked up for 12 bucks each and barely touched since).

What are your thoughts? Would you make this deal?

DeadChaos
04-25-2017, 06:17 AM
I would. But then again, do you have the "4million K HDR 600FPS" :whistle (2): TV to compliment the Pro? I probably still would of taken it, not a bad deal to get a new upgraded console even if you don't have the TV.

GRRowl74
04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
In a heartbeat. Like DC says. It sounds like a good deal, even if you don't have a 4k tv now, you probably will down the line. Even if you don't it's still a considerable upgrade from the old model, both with regards to power and storage.

rottsko
04-25-2017, 09:47 AM
that's a great deal. i'd do it. my original ps4 died recently and i was torn between the slim and pro. i ended up buying the pro even tho i didn't have a 4K UHD tv bc i might get a new 4K UHD tv in the future. the pro def looks better than my original ps4 on my HD tv.

tthfry
04-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Best thing about it: I even got the blessing of my finance minister. :D

Storage isn't the issue, I actually updated my storage to 2 TB recently. So there's gonna be some hard disk swapping going on.

DeadChaos
04-25-2017, 10:58 AM
I even got the blessing of my finance minister. :D

What did you promise her this time??

Spike Forehand
04-25-2017, 02:17 PM
I would do that even without the 4K tv cause it improves PSVR too.

tthfry
04-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Duh - GameStop DACH have all the laughs on them now. There is still 1 GameStop in my area that supposedly has the thing in stock - we'll see about that tomorrow. But they've admitted that they were too naive about the deal and let people order a console until Saturday and still get the Pro for 99 bucks. And me being dumb instinctively swapping out the upgraded hard drive right away will have to re-download everything tomorrow (hopefully on the pro!). Drat!

So I'll be gaming you guys from my new Pro in June at the latest. And already having a Pro controller it's a given I'll own the world - right?

tthfry
05-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Got the call on Wednesday morning, fetched the thing today. Had plenty of time, I should have made that backup. Thank God for high speed internet, I should be able to play in a couple of hours. Did you know that with a launched game running in the background your download speed is reduced to like 30%? I found out the hard way or else I'd already be in fisticuffs with some kind of bad guys. I'll report back when I had some game time to report if I found any improvements. :)

The intro video of R6 still doesn't run smoothly. More I can't tell, yet.

DeadChaos
09-19-2017, 06:15 AM
I'm liking this Monster Hunter Pro edition.

http://assets.vg247.com/current//2017/09/Monster_Hunter_World_ps4_pro_limited_edition.jpg

https://www.vg247.com/2017/09/19/monster-hunter-world-releasing-worldwide-on-january-26/