PDA

View Full Version : BF4 -- Is It Worth Buying At This Point?

Borlaxx
05-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Since I can't build a time machine to move in time to when BF1 comes out (and I saw how that worked out for Cartman in South Park), I have toyed with the idea of picking up BF4. I only ever played the beta and never played the full release. However, while I can get the base game for $15 new, the edition with all the DLC is way more expensive and I don't want to pay that much for a game that has been out this long.

It is worth the $15 to get just the base game? Do you think there will be enough players in those maps? Or is the game only worth it if I were to get the base game and all the DLC?

Either way I know I will get my ass kicked by people who have been playing the game for a long, long time, but figure getting back into the swing of things now might make me a little less horrible when BF1 comes out.

GRRowl74
05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Bf4 is still full of players, and will be until BF1 comes out, and still there'll be enough players left in BF4 to have fun. So I would say yes, it's probably worth it. I get my ass kicked in BF every time, makes the kills and points I do take all the more gratifying.

Probably wouldn't bother with Premium or DLC maps though. The player base is mostly on the basic maps, and a few on Dragons Teeth, which was set available free recently.

Borlaxx
05-13-2016, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the input. My primary fear was I was reading a lot of comments about official servers being shut down and mainly just rented servers being the available ones, and those are subject to the whims of the admin and often are the same map over and over again or weird rules. Maybe that complaint was more for the PC version.

Retro
05-13-2016, 02:23 PM
Rented servers that fall under ranked can't do anything to players as they can lose their server for punishing players for using certain weapons. Basically those server rules mean nothing. They can only enforce those rules if the server is unranked.

As for it being worth it? Yup. 100% I still play pretty much everyday. Hell I have it on XB1 & PS4.

GRRowl74
05-13-2016, 02:25 PM
There are a few of those, I'll admit. Fell into an Operation Locker 24/7 server once with a few MPs, almost never made it out. Was a quadzillion tickets too, so we were old and grey by the time the round was over. I've picked up the game again not so long ago myself, originally played it on the ps3. But so far there seems to be some official servers still on, at least for the original maps, and probably Dragons Teeth as well.

But I'm sure there are players with more BF experience who can give their two cent on the serversituation. Edit: And while I was writing - here's one. :)

Major Stains
05-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Firstly, excuse the drunk typing on my phone.
And secondly this is a 100% must pick up.
Still well populated servers and I find the owned servers to be hospitable and well set up. I have a few favourites that I'd be happy to share on the classic maps.
Try to take the tower of Shanghei or experience any other map is a joy on a perfectly running game.
I saw the Premium on offer at $15, and you'd have to be a madman to refuse that.

It will get you used to the BF mechanics before BF1.

As much as I'd love to join you on GTAV, I'd just as like to see you on a BF4 Fight Night.

Borlaxx
05-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Just picked it up. Time to crash some helicopters.

GRRowl74
05-13-2016, 07:00 PM

Awesome. See you on the battlefield.

HardlyCapable13
05-13-2016, 07:43 PM
100% yes. But instead of buying it just get EA Access.

Oh...never mind. :boink:

Major Stains
05-14-2016, 03:39 AM

Awesome.
Feel free to join my squad if you ever see me on.
Matchmaking can be a bit quirky, so I always check I've activated any Boosts in the menu. Then if it takes too long just join any squad, hoping it will pick you up next time round.

No need to tell you anything else I guess.
I like to run support/ medic when I'm learning new maps and go R1 crazy.

See you on the Battlefield Nate.

Borlaxx
05-14-2016, 07:34 AM
By the time I got the updates and free DLC installed I only had time to play for a couple hours. Even though I did horrible, I had a blast. I had almost forgotten how different BF is compared to COD in terms of pace, open areas, and intensity. Man, the sounds are sooooooo much better than COD. When bullets are flying all around you it sounds insane. Also saw a couple of those "only in Battlefield" moments like when two jets crashed into each other right above me and both planes flew off at the same angle before exploding. It was like a twisted synchronized dance. Can't wait to get owned some more.

Retro
05-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Time jump back into BF on PS4 I guess.

GRRowl74
05-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Ah, just reading about it makes me want to play. But my teenager son has of course run off with the ps4 to a mate for a game night. I keep thinking this home needs another ps4.

Retro
05-14-2016, 01:50 PM
Ah, just reading about it makes me want to play. But my teenager son has of course run off with the ps4 to a mate for a game night. I keep thinking this home needs another ps4.

Then you need to get out there and buy it. Or an Xbox One with EA Access would be better...:boink:

GRRowl74
05-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Then you need to get out there and buy it. Or an Xbox One with EA Access would be better...:boink:

If only...

http://youtu.be/Pl7BVr36bbs

HardlyCapable13
05-14-2016, 02:37 PM
I probably have a few to spare around here somewhere.

Tha_40oz_killa
06-04-2016, 03:15 AM
I bought BF4 awhile back ad just recently played online 3 days ago. Lobbies are active. $15 for a base just to occupy your time til BF1 launch sounds like a sweet deal.