PDA

View Full Version : Uefa euro 2016

Major Stains
06-10-2016, 01:56 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/vq1xlk.jpg

As an Englishman, writing any football related thread is always bittersweet.
50 years since our last win in an International, we are a nation of optimistic pessimists. So much so that I even watched a hour long documentary on our last great Euro competition in '96 when we reached the Semi's! I mean, who celebrates reaching the damn Semi's?

So here we go again. And lets hope that all attention is focused on the "Beautiful Game" and not the mindless Hooligans or the brainless Terrorsists.

Official EUFA EURO 2016 Site (http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/index.html)

EURO 2016 Matches (http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/matches/index.html#md/1)

donhardeone
06-10-2016, 03:51 PM
I'll be pulling for Italia as usual (AC Milan fan), but I do not have a lot of faith they will win it all...there's hope though. Simply because I have several good friends there, I am hoping Albania goes far too (long shot, but hey).

Meanwhile States-side we have Copa Americano going. Pulling for US and Peru. Both have a shot if they play their best, but both are inconsistent despite their talent.

TonkaToys
06-13-2016, 03:53 AM
Oh boy - England playing like morons again. Why let the Russians back into the game like that? Arg... best form of defence is attack, etc, etc.

Oh well, good luck Wales!

Major Stains
06-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Yep. England still yet to find the form that the Rugby boys seem to be finding.

Speaking of morons, looks like the fans are intent on ruining another tournament.
Well, some say they aren't fans. Just knuckleheads there for a bit of fistycuffs.
I would agree with the concept of sending home the team from where the hooligans come from, but that would only affect the real peaceful fans and not the dickheads just out for a fight.

TonkaToys
06-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Agreed, bunch of losers that ruin it for real fans.

How do they even identify who starts these problems? If I was sat there enjoying a glass of beer and someone threw a chair at me and my friends, I might get a bit upset too.

DeadChaos
06-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Yep. England still yet to find the form that the Rugby boys seem to be finding.

Speaking of morons, looks like the fans are intent on ruining another tournament.
Well, some say they aren't fans. Just knuckleheads there for a bit of fistycuffs.
I would agree with the concept of sending home the team from where the hooligans come from, but that would only affect the real peaceful fans and not the dickheads just out for a fight.

If they identify them why not just jail them depending on the severity of the beat down dished out, MINIMUM 1 year and then deportation after sentence has been served.

Major Stains
06-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Ireland we love you. Ireland we do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipg4oxNw2b4

DeadChaos
06-16-2016, 09:59 AM
England cut it a bit close there...how's your nerves??

TonkaToys
06-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Wow - I thought it was going to be a draw but great bit of skill and luck from Sturridge

Well done Hodgson for making such attacking substitutions.

Hard luck Wales, brilliant strike by Bale.

Major Stains
06-16-2016, 05:33 PM
England cut it a bit close there...how's your nerves??

Managed to catch the game on a radio from the top of a roof.
Was a nail biting first half in between all the hammering.

Enjoyed the N. Ireland game when I got in from work.

A good day for the home nations (maybe not the Welsh)

rustang7207
06-16-2016, 10:34 PM
I was happy to see Ireland win. unfortunately it was a crazy game with the hail stoppage. I think the only true downer in the match was the untimely passing of fan in the stands for Ireland. Yes I am an American but I played soccer/futbol for over half of my life. It is a magical game. I follow the EPL religiously. I am a red devil fam as well. Go Man U.
On a side note. I was never a player who had to be a forward or attacker. I was better at defender/fullback. I love taking down an opponent and just shutting them down. It has helped me be a better parent! lol:biggrin:

DeadChaos
06-17-2016, 04:04 AM
I'm not a football fan, just generally watch when these big tournaments are on but that match winner (Eng vs Wales) was a great worked goal.

TonkaToys
06-17-2016, 05:54 AM
So what are your predictions for the teams going through to the next round?

We already know France are through...

I reckon:

Group A: France, Switzerland
Group B: England, Wales
Group C: Germany, Poland
Group D: Spain, Croatia
Group E: Italy, Sweden
Group F: Hungary, Iceland

Best runners up: Slovakia, ROI, Sweden, Iceland(!)

Major Stains
06-17-2016, 07:22 AM
I see an England v N.Ireland final in the future.

Sorry, damn autocorrect. I meant France v Germany!

tweety
06-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Love watching this,, dig the haircuts and talent.... go England

Major Stains
06-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Love watching this,, dig the haircuts and talent.... go England

Lol. If you had your way the commentators would say "...and tight perm passes to mullet, who heads it to cornrows, who knocks it back to tramlines, who turns and smashes it past large quiff with shaved sides!".

TonkaToys
06-20-2016, 08:32 AM
and when you say "talent" you really mean talent :eyebrows:, don't you Tweety

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/r/GODO/MD/p3/Madrid/Imagenes/2016/01/21/Recortada/img_cordula_20160121-145327_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_shopappa-kxeF--572x647@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPG

Major Stains
06-20-2016, 11:33 AM

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/r/GODO/MD/p3/Madrid/Imagenes/2016/01/21/Recortada/img_cordula_20160121-145327_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_shopappa-kxeF--572x647@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPG

Come on Tonks. How many times have I told you? Nobody wants to see your screensaver all the time.

tweety
06-20-2016, 08:26 PM

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/r/GODO/MD/p3/Madrid/Imagenes/2016/01/21/Recortada/img_cordula_20160121-145327_imagenes_md_otras_fuentes_shopappa-kxeF--572x647@MundoDeportivo-Web.JPGYowzers

TonkaToys
06-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Come on Tonks. How many times have I told you? Nobody wants to see your screensaver all the time.

Screensaver? You mean selfie don't you?

Borlaxx
06-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Be careful when reading this post. If you scroll past him too fast he will fall over and draw a penalty.

donhardeone
06-21-2016, 06:30 PM
:censored: you Croatia!!! Now Italy draws Spain in the round of 16...it should be a good game, but I like their chances against Croatia's style of play over Spain.

Major Stains
06-22-2016, 04:15 AM
Great to see 3 Home Nations go through to the last 16.
Good luck to Ireland.

TonkaToys
06-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Come on ROI!

I can't wait to see who we (England) have to play; I was trying to work it out the different permutations, but it gave me a headache.

Major Stains
06-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Come on ROI!

I can't wait to see who we (England) have to play; I was trying to work it out the different permutations, but it gave me a headache.

What an amazing result for Ireland. With the sweetest of headers from Brady minutes after they missed a sitter. Made a change to see some excitement after the dull England performance.

Let's hope our boys can pull their socks up against the mighty Iceland!

Looks like the tournament is hotting up.

TonkaToys
06-27-2016, 03:43 PM
5 minutes left and it looks like a really pathetic effort by England.

Brexit part 2

Major Stains
06-27-2016, 04:38 PM
Boy, I've watched some piss poor England performances in my time but that one was up there as one of the greats!

The best team won for sure.

donhardeone
06-27-2016, 10:13 PM
The England squad looked bad top to bottom this match IMO. Hart was as bad as he had been all tourney, Sterling and Kane were useless as tits on a bull...just woeful.

Especially following the masterful play of Italia the game prior to catching the England/Iceland match.

TonkaToys
06-29-2016, 04:43 AM
So, to update @BeardedGenius (https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius)'s astute World Cup chart (https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/football-photoshop-five-stages-being-england-supporter-110416525.html)

The Five Stages Of Being An England Supporter

Stage 1: Resignation
The current crop of England players simply aren't good enough to challenge for a major international honour. We aren't on the same level as the likes of Germany who have world-class players in every position. But that's really okay. There are no silly expectations and for once we can just enjoy the tournament for what it is - a chance to savour the best that European football has to offer.

Stage 2: Slight Hope
A lack of expectation might actually work in our favour as the team can go out there and just play without the overbearing fear of failure. It will be a good opportunity for some of our talented youngsters to gain vital International experience. With any luck we can progress past the group stage and take it from there. It would be nice if we could play some attractive football for once, too.

Stage 3: Genuine Belief
This England team could be the surprise package of the whole tournament. There is a different feel about them. Look at all the speed and flair in the side; the talented youngsters are playing without fear and will cause any defence serious problems. Qualify from the group and the sky is the limit. Who is to say we can't even win it? For the first time in years we've a team to be proud of.

Stage 4: Slight Hope
If we play as well as we did against Wales there is still a chance we take something away from this tournament. Despite only drawing against Russia and Slovakia, we've actually played quite well. Maybe if we somehow manage to sneak through we could bring Jamie Vardy into the side and he could be our new Lineker. We are overdue a real captain's display from Rooney. Anything is possible.

Stage 5: Resignation
The current crop of England players simply aren't good enough to challenge for a major international honour. We aren't on the same level as the likes of Germany who have world-class players in every position. Displays like the game against Iceland really aren't okay. Still, Wimbledon is starting soon and Andy Murray finally looks like he is back on form. And what about that England Rugby performance... perhaps they will stand a chance against New Zealand after all.

tweety
07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
So glad France blew it lol

Major Stains
07-10-2016, 06:46 PM
So glad France blew it lol

You just wanted to see Ronaldo McDonaldo with his flabby beer gut out again!

TonkaToys
07-11-2016, 05:30 AM
Well despite losing my last remaining bet because France lost (massive stake of 1), I'm pleased for Portugal.
I am a bit sorry for old Ronnie, getting injured so early - you could see his passion from the sidelines, although I reckon the coach was thinking "get the fuck off my lawn".

Well done Portugal, Wales and Iceland.

Must try harder Belgium, Germany, and definitely England.