PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Switch (fka Nintendo NX)

Borlaxx
10-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Nintendo officially announced their new system, called Nintendo Switch, with a teaser video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884

http://www.nintendo.com/switch

I like the design, although I know a lot of people will not care or want the portability.

What I worry about is that it will be underpowered and once again miss out on most new 3rd party games like the Wii and Wii U. Yes, it is shown running Skyrim, but so could the PS3 and Xbox 360. If the rumored price of $300 ends up being correct, I cannot see how it could possibly be as powerful as the other two current gen systems. I also worry about battery life in terms of portability.

What do you all think?

JockoPablo
10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
It has a headphone jack? That's so old fashioned.

Seriously, it's an interesting concept, but I share your concern about it being under-powered and question the amount of third party support it will have.

Borlaxx
10-20-2016, 09:49 AM
They posted a graphic on their site listing a lot of 3rd party companies as support. Then again, they did the same with the Wii and Wii U.

DeadChaos
10-20-2016, 10:00 AM
I love portable handhelds and that is why I'm so disappointed Sony is letting the PS Vita die a slow death. This looks great but have to agree, it will most likely be under-powered.

Retro
10-21-2016, 11:47 AM
What I find very concerning is the responses from the 3rd Party's. The big ones they used in the promo video like 2K and Bethesda.

“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the trailer. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of Nintendo Switch. We look forward to revealing specific details at a later date.” - 2K representative

Bethesda
“We’re happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.” - Bethesda representative

Most said something similar. But the video shows both Skyrim and NBA 2K17. No doubt they were chosen to show off what was lacking on Wii and Wii U. 3rd Party support in general and sports titles, (yes I know sports titles aren't big here but in general they tend to be huge sellers. For September in the U.S. the top 4 selling games were NBA 2K17, Madden 17, FIFA 17 and NHL 17). So why would those publishers not say we're "looking forward to bringing Skyrim Remastered / NBA 2K17 to the Nintendo Switch ...along with titles we will announce down the road"?

Nintendo pumped up how on board the big 3rd Party publishers were with the Wii U as well. The Wii U at launch had, Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K13, Batman Arkham City, Assassins Creed 3, FIFA 13, CoD Black Ops 2, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Darksiders 2. Then adding Batman Arkham Origins, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Splinter Cell Black List and Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag in the first year of the consoles release.

Personally I like the idea of the Switch (though if it had been me, I would have gone with a name like, Nintendo Super NX). But the reality is, the market for those who want it as a device on the go will be limited. People will want the best option for a 3rd party title and that will be either on PC, Xbox Scoprio, PS Pro, Xbox One or PS4. The system just won't be powerful enough to match even the regular Xbox One and PS4. Which means just like with the Wii U, people will pass on buying non-system exclusive 3rd Party games for the Switch which will again cause Activision, UbiSoft, EA, 2K etc. to all pull support.

The Switch will do better than the Wii U as it will likely end up replacing the 3DS as well (and why not?). I said when the Wii U was announced it would be lucky to sell 30 million, more likely to be around 20 million. It was estimated that the Nintendo "core consumer" (those who will buy Nintendo no matter what) was around 20 million. If true, then even the core consumer for Nintendo has lost faith in them as the Wii U has yet to come close to 20 million in sales. As of June 2016 the Wii U has sold 13.02 Million units world wide. I won't go into why Nintendo is in trouble, think I covered most of that back in 2013 here (http://www.teammp.net/VB_TeamMP/entry.php?85-Nintendo-Wii-U).

tweety
10-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Looks good so far,, DONT FUCK IT UP NINTENDO

Retro
11-14-2016, 01:01 PM
The price of the Switch may have been leaked. If the price is true, the 3rd party support will die fast like it did on the Wii U.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2016/11/toysrus_switch_price.png

So $329 Canadian (£200 UK, $250 US), there is no way it will have the hardware capability to run AAA 3rd party games unless they are seriously gutted compared to the XBO, PS4 and PC versions. With them already saying flatout that this is not a mobile replacement for the 3DS, but a home console first, I can't see this working.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/11/14/nintendo-switch-price-may-have-been-accidentally-revealed

Major Stains
11-14-2016, 01:45 PM
I have preordered for day 1 plus I plan on being at Nintendos flagship store in NYC on the night it launches.
All the main AAA Devs like Ubisoft have promised to back this console through thick and thin. What can possibly go wrong?...

...Wait a minute. Didn't I go through this a few years ago? Hmmm, I might have to re-address my thoughts on this one.

HardlyCapable13
11-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Zero interest here. They've officially killed any interest I had in a future for Nintendo.

wesleytomaz
11-30-2016, 04:36 PM
People will want the best option for a 3rd party title and that will be either on PC, Xbox Scoprio, PS Pro, Xbox One or PS4. The system just won't be powerful enough to match even the regular Xbox One and PS4. Which means just like with the Wii U, people will pass on buying non-system exclusive 3rd Party games for the Switch which will again cause Activision, UbiSoft, EA, 2K etc. to all pull support.

I'm a Nintendo fan and I cannot lie. I like Nintendo for their IP's and games, in spite of their latest consoles (I never owned a Wii U though. Didn't want to).

So I planned on purchasing the Switch to play the exclusives, and keep using the PS4 for the 3rd party.
But then I thought: exactly how underpowered will the Switch be?
We know it won't be a PS4. But will it be a PS 3.1 or a PS 3.9, in comparison?

Since my time for gaming is very limited, and I happen to like genres in which games are pretty long (e.g. RPG), if the Switch ends up being a PS 3.5 or better, I might choose to play longer 3rd party games on it, because of the portability.
Whenever I'm at my in-laws, or in a plane or waiting for a connection in an airport... I could play Skyrim!
If that gives me an additional 30 hours of gameplay in a year, that is one medium length game more I could play.

That could turn the portability from nearly useless (my first thought) into a serious upside.

Gotta wait until Jan 13th to know the specs of the console. That only holds true if the Switch is a PS 3.5+.
Also, there are speculations that there's more to the Switch than has been announced so far.

I may sound overly optimistic (I did warn in the beginning that I am a fan), but I think that's actually wishful thinking. Nintendo can't mess up 2 consoles in a row. And I truly hope they won't.

DeadChaos
12-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Nintendo has now announced timings for its Nintendo Switch reveal presentation. The live broadcast will begin at 8pm PT / 11pm ET on January 12 (that's 4am GMT / 2pm AEST on January 13). It's not clear how long the show will be.

IGN will be at hands-on events across the world following the event - make sure to check back for our first impressions of the new console.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/10/27/nintendo-will-stream-a-nintendo-switch-presentation-in-january

Major Stains
01-13-2017, 03:29 PM
The Nintendo Switch launches on March 3 for $300 in the US, Nintendo confirmed during its livestream presentation on Thursday night.

Switch will launch simultaneously in the US, Canada, Japan, "major European countries," Hong Kong, and other territories. Pricing was only shared for the US and Japan (where it'll cost 29,980 yen).

For Europe, Nintendo advised checking with local retailers for more specific prices. However Nintendo UK's Twitter confirmed it will be available for £279.99 at Nintendo's official store. It's likely most other UK retailers will sell the console for around this price too.

Skip to 33 minutes for the full presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

Major Stains
01-13-2017, 03:34 PM
In addition to the wealth of news surrounding the Switch that Nintendo announced at its Tokyo event tonight, we finally got some concrete details on the hardware specifications of Nintendoís latest console.

The Nintendo Switch device offers a 6.2-inch, 720p multitouch display that runs at a 1280 x 720 resolution when used in a handheld mode. When docked, the Switch is capable of outputting full 1080p visuals through an HDMI connection to an attached TV. Nintendo says that the Switch runs off a custom Nvidia Tegra processor, but hasnít released more specific details.

Storage-wise, the Switch includes 32GB of onboard memory, which feels dramatically low in todayís age of 500GB and 1TB Xbox Ones and PS4s, especially with the modern focus on downloadable titles. However, storage can be expanded through the use of microSD cards. Games for the Switch will come on physical GameCards, which may help alleviate the consoleís onboard storage space by offloading most of the storage requirements for each game to the individual GameCards.

Nintendo is advertising between 2.5 and 6 hours of battery life for the Switch, depending on the graphical demands of the games being played. Itís hard to know exactly how that will translate on a game-by-game basis, but for reference, the company estimates around three hours of battery life while playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. But unlike other portable Nintendo consoles, the Switch uses a standard USB-C connection, making it easy to recharge on the go.

Lastly, the Switch can connect to the internet through an 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection, with the ability to connect to up to eight Switch consoles at once for local multiplayer. Additionally, the Switch will be able to connect using Ethernet using a USB LAN adaptor with the dock.

Full article on The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/13/14261876/nintendo-switch-specs-32gb-720p-screen-battery-life).

wesleytomaz
01-14-2017, 05:16 AM
I'll be in America next April. I'll get it then. Surely with Zelda and Mario Kart. Possibly with 1 2 Switch and Sniperclippers and Bomber Man.

Have you seen footage of this Snipperclippers? Looks weird, but it's 2 player co-op puzzle. Seems great for playing with the wife or kids.

Retro
01-15-2017, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCrjI3O0fWY

Retro
01-15-2017, 05:18 PM
TB pretty much echoes my feelings on the Switch. Hopeful but very ...unsure.

DeadChaos
01-17-2017, 04:55 AM
Borderlands 3 won't likely come to Nintendo Switch, if a recent statement made by Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford is any indication.

When asked by a fan on Twitter about the possibility of Borderlands 3 coming to Switch, Pitchford said, "I do not see that as happening. We were talking to Nintendo, but that stopped for some reason. They have other priorities."

In April of last year, Pitchford confirmed Borderlands 3 is in development at Gearbox, revealing that Battleborn art director Scott Kester has shifted his focus to the third entry in the popular FPS role-playing series. No specific platforms for the game have yet been announced.

While it doesn't look like Gearbox Software intends to release Borderlands 3 for Nintendo Switch, a number of other third-party developers have announced plans to support the console. For a look at what's on the horizon for Nintendo's next console, here's a list of every game confirmed for Switch.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/01/16/gearbox-ceo-doesnt-see-borderlands-3-coming-to-nintendo-switch?%3A+ign%2Fall+%28IGN+All%29

Retro
01-18-2017, 09:55 PM
NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fH_wl8ceAg

Retro
01-18-2017, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZKI3XMa4b8

wesleytomaz
02-01-2017, 06:15 AM
So I've read a lot and watched many videos about the Switch and, even though it's not out yet, I think I'm able to list it's pros and cons and aspects that remain to be seen. I think this might help you guys make your decision. I am not analyzing this from a marketing point of view, but as a custumer.

Pros:
- Nintendo games. That's the main reason I'm buying it. Nintendo games are great, and I have skipped an entire generation of them. One that delivered great titles as far as the dritics say. On that matter, I don't want to miss a 3D Zelda (would be a first otherwise). Announced games that seem cool also include Super Mario Odissey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2. Unannounced games that we expect they will bring us later are at least Donkey Kong and Super Smash Bros.
- The Joycons. Yep, this is controversial, and I will definitely get a Pro Controller. But having controller that split in two for the extremely rare 3 or 4 player local multiplayer is genious and economic. Way better than having do purchase 3 extra Wiimotes or Dualshock Controllers only for these rare ocasions. Hell, I hardly ever use my 2nd controller on the PS4. Buying an extra pair that can turn into a 3rd and 4th controller when needed, for 10 extra bucks, when compared to a single PS4 controller, makes perfect sense, even if you'll have to deal with incredibly small controllers, but only on those occasions.
- Portability. I was thinking whether I would consider this as a Pro or Con, because I think I will hardly ever use it. But I will eventually. I only play my 3DS at home or when I'm in an airport or plane (3 or 4 times a year maybe). With the Switch, that won't change. But the quality of the games I will play on those occasions will. Besides, when at my in laws, playing video games won't keep my mother-in-law from watching her terrible soap operas anymore.

Cons:
- Price. U$ is more expensive then the more powerful consoles. You can even go with the concept that this price is for a 2 in 1, since it's both a home and portable machine, and you would be right. But I want to play it mainly at home, on a TV. Besides, the accessories are expensive as well.
- Power. To counterpart the portability. I would trade the portability for a machine that could compete with the PS4 and XB1. Since the N64, Nintendo has been losing in the hardware area, and they should change that in order to increase their sales and, therefore, the number of third party games. Which leads us to the last and, perhaps, most important issue.
- Lack of games. It is early, but we have only a handful of games to look forward to. There are minor games that seem cool, like Snipperclips and Bomberman, but that's not what you buy a console for. We need more games. If it wasn't for Zelda, I would wait longer for more titles and a price drop, and maybe that's what most people should and will do.

TBD:
- Paid online service. How much will it cost? Will it work good? I'd rather pay for a good service than having a free bad one. But it's gotta be worth it.
- Lack of games. Yep, both a Con and a TBD. The games list on any console increases over time, and what is a problem today can easily change later.
- Joycon features. The HD Rumble and IR camera could be great or completely useless. That depends on how the games will use those features. And 1 2 Switch doesn't seem like one that will manage to raise real fun out of them for more than a few hours.

So what do you guys think? Agree? Disagree? Am I missing anything important?

TonkaToys
02-02-2017, 06:38 AM
Nintendo Switch’s online service will be half the price of PS4, Xbox One

£20 for the Switch, vs. £40 for Xbox and PS4. Plus, comments about VR on the new system

For now, the pricing is coming from Nintendo's Japanese president, Tatsumi Kimishima, who tells the Nikkei Asian Review that Nintendo Switch owners can expect to pay an annual fee of between 2,000-3,000 yen (about £14 to £21). That's about half the £40/year fee for rival services Xbox Gold and PlayStation Plus.

Switch to me for more
(https://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/02/nintendo-switch-online-service-price-rumour/)

DeadChaos
02-02-2017, 06:51 AM
Since the world is in protesting mode I might as well go protest at Sony's doorstep, who's with me?? :bolt:

Retro
02-20-2017, 03:56 PM
In regards to Zelda having DLC, specifically locking a hard mode behind a season pass.

"I've had this conversation with a number of our key developers, and their mentality is, 'Reggie, when we sell a game, we want the consumer to feel that they've had a complete experience.' - Reggie Fils-Amie 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUIX9i6jNEg

The video points out when people got mad about the same thing happening with Metro Last Light. That was a $1.50

I personally don't care. What I find hilarious is the Nintendo defense force coming out and defending it. Something they have held Nintendo up for being against and laughing at other companies who use DLC tactics and saying "that's why I stick with Nintendo". Yet, now their beloved cult, I mean company is doing it, it's OK. Because, well, it's Nintendo so it's not the same thing.

Major Stains
02-28-2017, 03:00 AM
You would have to search deep into our forums to realise there is an actual new console launch this week.
I'm guessing nobody is particularly buzzing about the arrival of the new Nintendo Switch on Friday?

Any MPs going to be playing the new Zelda this weekend? Let us know. Post up an unboxing vid or any thoughts of the new hardware...

With the non-stop circumspection, leaks and debates we have online, at times it can feel as if system launches will never actually arrive. For Nintendo fans, though, it's getting very real, as we enter the final week before Nintendo Switch launches.

It's getting so close, and in the past week we had our hardware and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild preview articles, more Nintendo Switch launch day titles were finally confirmed and we had the announcement of the upcoming Nindies Video Showcase on 28th February, which should give us an excuse to break out the live stream and blog for some pre-launch excitement.

Quote from Nintendolife.com (http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/poll_nintendo_switch_countdown_-_less_than_a_week_to_go_is_the_hype_building)

wesleytomaz
03-01-2017, 08:47 AM
Not this weekend, no. I'll get it when I come to the US in April.
Looking forward to the reviews on Zelda.

By the way, there is an issue reported with the joycons, that can show a lag on response up to 3 seconds.
I suggest you all wait until there has been a fix for this before you purchase the system. If it is a hardware issue, waiting for a new version could be wiser.

JockoPablo
03-01-2017, 01:15 PM
Kotaku posted their review.

Clicky (http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350)

wesleytomaz
03-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-review/1100-6448303/

EDIT: Kotaku's Review seems way more complete.

Retro
03-02-2017, 07:20 AM
While Zelda is getting outstanding reviews, the hardware so far, is not.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wired.com/2017/03/review-nintendo-switch/amp/

Retro
03-02-2017, 08:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_OjR09FBUI

Retro
03-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Priced out a Nintendo Switch with what I believe I'd need to buy and what reviewers have recommended in terms of accessories not included, plus one game.

(All prices, Canadian $)

Console $399.99
Pro Controller $89.99
128GB SD Card $84.99
Zelda $79.99

Total: $654.96

Plus tax = $740.10

Go F**k yourself Nintendo.

The fact I have to spend extra on a controller because they don't give you a real one that works as a home controller and buy more memory because what is included is not even enough for more than one game, it's bloody ridiculous.

The $399.99 "price" is damn near fraudulent.

I love Zelda, but I'm not about to drop nearly a grand to play one game for the next 6 to 12 months.

wesleytomaz
03-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Yep, it is pricey.

Still worth it for me cuz video game consoles in Brazil are absurdly expensive. Since I have a vacation planned to the US right after launch, and I don't know when I will have this opportunity again, I will get it, and then I can share my opinion with you guys.
Getting all these items you mentioned will be roughly the same in Brazilian money as the PS4 cost here at launch, no games and no additional controller.

The reviews on 1-2 Switch are rating it around 6/10, so that is a game worth buying only when you have very cheap pre-owned units available.

Retro
03-02-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp67o6yfLfg

Retro
03-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Whole time, the guy in the video above looks like he thinks someone from Nintendo is going to run and beat him whenever he say's something even slightly critical. :pound:

Retro
03-02-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnJCtHA_dY

AK-Muhly7
03-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Priced out a Nintendo Switch with what I believe I'd need to buy and what reviewers have recommended in terms of accessories not included, plus one game.

(All prices, Canadian $)

Console $399.99
Pro Controller $89.99
128GB SD Card $84.99
Zelda $79.99

Total: $654.96

Plus tax = $740.10

Go F**k yourself Nintendo.

The fact I have to spend extra on a controller because they don't give you a real one that works as a home controller and buy more memory because what is included is not even enough for more than one game, it's bloody ridiculous.

The $399.99 "price" is damn near fraudulent.

I love Zelda, but I'm not about to drop nearly a grand to play one game for the next 6 to 12 months.

Yuupppppp fuck that indeed. No thanks. Ill wait until they sell those ips and we get to play them on other platforms. Its inevitable. Ps4 and xbox are cheaper, have better hardware, and a lot more games. No Thanks.

Retro
03-03-2017, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYmu_liF2wM

Retro
03-05-2017, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSA96iFTPuw

Retro
03-06-2017, 02:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5xV2H8z78

Retro
03-06-2017, 04:28 PM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/06/nintendo-switch-microsd-cards-cant-be-transferred-between-systems

Can't plug in a Micro SD between two different systems.

HardlyCapable13
03-06-2017, 05:35 PM
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/06/nintendo-switch-microsd-cards-cant-be-transferred-between-systems

Can't plug in a Micro SD between two different systems.

How do Nintendo employees keep their jobs? I'm constantly blown away by the crap they pull.

HardlyCapable13
03-06-2017, 06:00 PM
How do Nintendo employees keep their jobs? I'm constantly blown away by the crap they pull.

...and to reiterate my point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-gYK7EXVus

Retro
03-06-2017, 07:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lkWyoMrKXI

TonkaToys
03-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Lack of portability of the SD Card might be for security reasons...

Ars Technica discusses Switch Online Features:

The Day One update also unlocked support for microSD cards, letting you expand the system's 32GB of internal storage for game downloads. Unfortunately, that's about all the SD card is good for. Save data can only be stored on the system itself and can't be copied to the SD card for backup purposes. If that weren't enough, an SD card used in one Switch console won't even work in another Switch unless you first format all the data. This might seem like an overzealous security measure, but given how save data manipulation was key to many 3DS hacking methods, Nintendo's caution is perhaps understandable.

(http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2017/03/nintendo-switch-online-features/)

Major Stains
03-07-2017, 07:21 AM
I was shocked when I read the other day that it just has internal storage.
So you lose your console, you lose all your game saves.
Not ideal in this day and age.

wesleytomaz
03-07-2017, 08:35 AM
They have to change this on a future patch. It is important on a home console, all the more on a portable.

And I don't mean enable transferring saves on a SDCard. I mean cloud.
Slow learners at Nintendo. Really seems like the launch was premature.