PDA

View Full Version : Cheese And Jam..??

She Hulk
02-19-2017, 09:13 AM
So yesterday my Lil boy was having Jam Sandwich's for dinner and he asked for cheese to dip which i said no because Cheese and Jam Doesn't go together which then Daddy disagrees and said it does. apparently his mate used 2 always bring in cheese and jam sandwiches 2 work,

So i was just wondering if anyone else has ever tried it? I'm considering trying it just to see for myself but to be honest i think i'm just gonna ruin a good piece of cheese...

DeadChaos
02-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Not much help but I don't eat jam so cheese and jam is never going to happen for me. Although I have seen and heard several people (including the wife) enjoy it together.

Retro
02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
That just sounds like all kinds of nasty. :sick (2):

But whatever floats someones boat. My wife thinks it's gross that I put pickles on my fried egg sandwich.

GRRowl74
02-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Depends on the cheese, I'd say. Cream cheese - no way. Any cheese which usually goes with crackers and wine - nope. White cheese - the semiflavorless kind you stick on a sandwich with ham - yes. Not ham and jam, mind you - but that kind of cheese goes well with jam. Preferably strawberry, but I can tolerate raspberry too.

But jam sandwiches for dinner?

Major Stains
02-19-2017, 01:35 PM
According to the true order of the Universe, cheese can be added to anything edible, preferably slightly melted.

Major Stains
02-19-2017, 02:41 PM
According to the tinterwebbynet, it's a thing people!

Suggested Jam and Cheese Pairings (https://www.lunagrown.com/jam-and-cheese-pairings/)

You are safe here at Team MP, we won't judge your family... honest.

I've been to plenty of places around the world where they serve cheese for breakfast so you're not alone in your freaky food fetishes...

She Hulk
02-19-2017, 03:27 PM
But jam sandwiches for dinner?

I have a very fussy eater at the moment.. running outta options Lol, he didnt even really eat much of the jam sandwich Just took abite out all the triangles then it went on the floor. oh and when i say dinner i mean Lunch :P

I always believe Cheese can make anything taste better However for some foods your probably best dumping it and just eating the cheese :)

Major Stains
02-19-2017, 03:44 PM
I inherited a fondness for toast with marmite (vegemite for you Aussies) and peanut butter on top, from an ex. It used to be the tastiest thing on the planet at the time, but then again I was wasted for most of my teenage years so anything tasted good!

Retro
02-19-2017, 04:00 PM
marmite (vegemite for you Aussies)

Are you looking to start an international incident? Aussies will throw you to the crocs for comparing the two!

Major Stains
02-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Are you looking to start an international incident? Aussies will throw you to the crocs for comparing the two!

Well pointed out Sir. I can only apologise for comparing Marmite to that shit!

Retro
02-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Well pointed out Sir. I can only apologise for comparing Marmite to that shit!

https://m.popkey.co/e6c8cc/zgla8.gif?c=popkey-web&p=popkey&i=mrw-reactions&l=direct&f=.gif

DeadChaos
02-20-2017, 05:10 AM
I have a very fussy eater at the moment..

Sounds like my son....he lives on peanut butter and toast and the toast must not be too dark or burnt in anyway, crust must be removed. He does not eat cheese but loves pizza....takes all the cheese off and then puts the toppings back on. I just sit and stare at him asking what is the point.

Chefblake1016
02-20-2017, 11:18 AM
I'm loving the fact that we are having a group talk about food! What could be better than games and food?

Major Stains
02-20-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm loving the fact that we are having a group talk about food! What could be better than games and food?

To be honest Chef, I am seriously troubled that we are over 12 posts deep into a food thread and nobody has mentioned bacon.
If anything can rescue Cheese & Jam from the 'food circus of the bizarre and peculiar' then surely a layer of crispy bacon can!?!

GRRowl74
02-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Read an article about bacon recently, said you should prepare it in the oven, not in a frying pan. Any takers?

DeadChaos
02-20-2017, 11:44 AM
crispy bacon

Not crispy!

DeadChaos
02-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Read an article about bacon recently, said you should prepare it in the oven, not in a frying pan. Any takers?

I do it in the oven. But when we go camping I normally throw all the ingredients into a pan.

crispy bacon

Not crispy!

Chefblake1016
02-20-2017, 12:18 PM
We always oven our bacon. Best way to batch cook it. But yes, bacon could save it for sure!

Major Stains
02-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Not crispy!

So you like yours pink do ya?

http://i67.tinypic.com/f9p2xt.jpg

rootbeer001
02-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Baked brie cheese and raspberry jam. Good stuff.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

She Hulk
02-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Sounds like my son....he lives on peanut butter and toast and the toast must not be too dark or burnt in anyway, crust must be removed. He does not eat cheese but loves pizza....takes all the cheese off and then puts the toppings back on. I just sit and stare at him asking what is the point.
Lol sounds like he's even fussier then luke, i think luke as a cheese obsession he loves the stuff, he must av some kinda cheese sense because soon as i start grating it he's running in shouting CHEESEEE.

Did someone mention BACON Mmm :smile (2): Never tried it in the oven tho, will have to give it a try one day..

TonkaToys
02-22-2017, 07:19 AM
Baked brie cheese and raspberry jam. Good stuff.

Now that sounds tasty to me.

For some reason Cheddar + Jam seems wrong.

However, in the interests of science... I've got cheddar, I've got jam, I've got bread for toast - I'm trying that in about 10 minutes.

She Hulk
02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
Is waiting patiently for your verdict..

I still haven't tried it yet I just had the last of the cheese for dinner otherwise i could of tried it now, il av try it next week. :P

DeadChaos
02-22-2017, 12:07 PM
So you like yours pink do ya?

http://i67.tinypic.com/f9p2xt.jpg

Indeed. Steak as well, needs to bleed when I stab it with a fork! Just do not like crispy over cooked meats.

Are you trying to make me a vegetarian with your soppy picture??

TonkaToys
02-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Is waiting patiently for your verdict..

I still haven't tried it yet I just had the last of the cheese for dinner otherwise i could of tried it now, il av try it next week. :P

Sorry for the delay - had to go to hospital for a stomach pump :sick:

JUST KIDDING

Ended up having it on a cracker - I'm not sure I put enough jam on because the flavour was overwhelmingly cheesy.
Where the jam did come through, the effect was to tone down the cheese and add a little sweetness (go figure).
All in all, I'd say not bad - rather like having chutney with cheese.

My 12 year old on the other hand said it was yummy.

I wonder if it makes a difference if you have the cheese under the jam or the jam under the cheese? Like a scone, cream and jam.
Stainsy will hopefully corroborate that the right way to do this is the Devonshire Cream - use the cream between the jam and the scone.

http://www.uniquedevontours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Cream-Tea-Pic-1.jpg

Now that is a snack I would look forward to.

She Hulk
02-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Was just wondering if i needed 2 send an ambulance round.. Glad 2 see your still alive :P
You've made me more curious now, Am definitely gonna try it at weekend..
It was bad enough i had to tell my fella he was right - Jam and cheese is a thing ... Now your quoting Him " like having chutney with cheese."
I reckon the jam would go on the bottom so the cheese can stick to :)
Mmm Hope one of them scones is for me :wink:

Major Stains
02-22-2017, 03:00 PM
Stainsy will hopefully corroborate that the right way to do this is the Devonshire Cream - use the cream between the jam and the scone.

http://www.uniquedevontours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Cream-Tea-Pic-1.jpg

I can confirm that in this house in deepest darkest Devon, I like to lay it down like this...

Warm scone (as in 'on' not 'own') straight out of the oven - then spread on some butter (yep, I went there) or butta if you're playing Battlefield 1 with Southtown - then a big spoonful of jam - then the fresh clotted cream on top! Its' a visual thing for me as it all goes down the same way, a nice bit of colour layering. The butter melts into the scone, then the jam gives a fruity bite to the centre, with that delicious creamy goodness hitting the tastebuds first and foremost.
Washed down with a nice hot cuppa tea. Happy days.

*We have THE definitive scone recipe in the house as my wife once worked in a National Trust Teahouse many years ago called A La Ronde (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/a-la-ronde).

Major Stains
02-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Indeed. Steak as well, needs to bleed when I stab it with a fork! Just do not like crispy over cooked meats.

Are you trying to make me a vegetarian with your soppy picture??

Oh yes. A steak has to bleed. Although I'm a medium rare man myself so I like to see a little cooking around the edges.
But my bacon does have to be crispy (under the grill or on the BBQ), ideally the fat crystalises and crunches in my mouth. That way it lines the arteries quicker making my journey to 'bacon heaven' more immenant.

TonkaToys
02-23-2017, 04:25 AM
*We have THE definitive scone recipe in the house as my wife once worked in a Nation Trust Teahouse many years ago called A La Ronde (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/a-la-ronde).

Sharing is caring!

Wifey makes a lovely scone with more crunch on the outside than most (no it isn't burnt), but I'd be interested to see your recipe.