PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon - Whiskey - & More!

Black_Out_424
03-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Hey fellow MP's.

I am now writing for a group called www.Bourbonbanter.com doing reviews. I also post to some other social media sites as well.

Twitter & Instagram: @The_Bourbon_Guy
Facebook: @KyleTheBourbonGuy

Thanks Retro for the idea to post it here.

Gink
03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Awesome, thanks for letting us know about this project BlackOut. Will definitely check it out soon. The last couple years I've gone from a 100% craft beer guy to developing a serious love of all things Whiskey. Always looking for something new to try and love reading about what other folks have discovered. Especially fellow whiskey lovin' MPs!

rootbeer001
03-02-2017, 03:28 PM
You know Blackout, I live in the land of bourbon, Kentucky. I will definitely be checking your site out regularly. I have a small collection of rarities and a rotating collection of daily drinkers. Would love to pick your brain one of these days.

Black_Out_424
03-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Sounds great. Will let you know the next time I am down there. The wife and I were just down there last Oct. Trying to get a trip planned for this year to visit a friend and pick up some bottles. With the wife due in Aug I will have to see what happens. Love it down there. What part you from?

rootbeer001
03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Originally from Maryland, but live in Louisville. Been here since 2000. Try to hit the distilleries every now and then, but I don't have the money to buy those gift shop releases from Heaven Hill or Willett. Been lucky a couple of times and did score a 2016 WLW BTAC this past fall release. And congrats on the baby on the way! Can definitely drink to that.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Major Stains
03-02-2017, 06:19 PM
Congrats on your little one and on your writing BO, I love it.

You guys must drink too much of it though as you keep on spelling it wrong all the time! :becky:

There is also a Whisky thread here (http://www.teammp.net/VB_TeamMP/showthread.php?9693-Whiskey) where MPs have shared a few favourites.

As I mentioned, my local has a pretty admirable collection that I bet you'd like to get your laughing gear around.
The Nobody Inn is a lovely old 17th Century Inn that boasts around 240 whiskys (mainly malts)

Strongly recommended if you ever find yourself in this part of the world.

http://www.nobodyinn.co.uk/index.html

http://i59.tinypic.com/24l0v9w.jpg

If you're feeling particularly flush this would be a treat for the tastebuds...

Distilled in 1940 and bottled in '82, that price tag of 95.90 is just for a wee dram and not the whole bottle. Which sadly puts it well out of my taste/ budget.
One can but dream...

http://i57.tinypic.com/b9g8dj.jpg

Whilst on the subject, when we finshed our last project the customers gave my brother and I a nice bottle of Talisker Skye Single Malt (http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/all-whisky/talisker-skye-single-malt-whisky-70cl) each, if only all our clients were as kind.

On a sadder note, 3 of the Dads from my youngests school are off on a distillery tour of Ireland this weekend. We are currently in the process of moving so I had to give it a pass.

Keep up the blogging.

Black_Out_424
03-02-2017, 10:48 PM
That's really cool. Slowly getting into the scotchs. That place does have me outnumbered though. I only have around 150 different bottles of whiskey on my home bar. I will let you know if I am ever in the area and we will totally go grab a glass.

Gink
03-03-2017, 02:12 AM
That's really cool. Slowly getting into the scotchs. That place does have me outnumbered though. I only have around 150 different bottles of whiskey on my home bar. I will let you know if I am ever in the area and we will totally go grab a glass.

I drink Bourbon, Rye, and Scotch... but still can't figure out how to build a collection like that. My bottles just keep ending up empty, and they don't look nearly as impressive on the shelf that way.

Black_Out_424
03-03-2017, 03:46 PM
My bottles just keep ending up empty, and they don't look nearly as impressive on the shelf that way.

LMAO!!!! For awhile I was buying more than I consumed. But I have built up my collection over 5 years.

JockoPablo
03-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I only have around 150 different bottles of whiskey on my home bar.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/Bothamcity/lofl.jpg

Ullrsdog
03-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Originally from Maryland, but live in Louisville. Been here since 2000. Try to hit the distilleries every now and then, but I don't have the money to buy those gift shop releases from Heaven Hill or Willett. Been lucky a couple of times and did score a 2016 WLW BTAC this past fall release. And congrats on the baby on the way! Can definitely drink to that.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Didn't pan out this past fall ('16) but the previous I was able to score Pappy 10yo and the fall before that a Pappy 12yo...I'd love to get my hands on more of the BTAC especially the Weller or Stagg, I can get the Stagg Jr. from several of the local shops and have in the past but I do want to try the original if you will, along with the Weller and maybe the 15yo Eagle Rare. I'm a big fan of the BT distillery and my favorite of all is their Colonel EH Taylor barrel proof.

Oh and Stains seeing as I was drawn here by Bourbon I'll stick to spelling it Whiskey...as Bourbon is THE American spirit. Created in the states and really the only thing that was...yes some may say moonshine but remember that's been made all over the place in various forms and honestly it was the Corn based mash that moonshine started with that eventually became bourbon...oh thank you Reverend Elijah Craig for deciding to burn that barrel before you filled it with the sweet sweet nectar.

Major Stains
03-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Oh and Stains seeing as I was drawn here by Bourbon I'll stick to spelling it Whiskey...as Bourbon is THE American spirit. Created in the states and really the only thing that was...yes some may say moonshine but remember that's been made all over the place in various forms and honestly it was the Corn based mash that moonshine started with that eventually became bourbon...oh thank you Reverend Elijah Craig for deciding to burn that barrel before you filled it with the sweet sweet nectar.

I know, I was just acting the fool as per usual. I had you down as second favourite for pulling me up on it... Southy was odds on favourite for calling me an 'Incorrect Wannabe Canadian Dbag'!
:behindsofa:

rootbeer001
03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Didn't pan out this past fall ('16) but the previous I was able to score Pappy 10yo and the fall before that a Pappy 12yo...I'd love to get my hands on more of the BTAC especially the Weller or Stagg, I can get the Stagg Jr. from several of the local shops and have in the past but I do want to try the original if you will, along with the Weller and maybe the 15yo Eagle Rare. I'm a big fan of the BT distillery and my favorite of all is their Colonel EH Taylor barrel proof.

Tried a Stagg a couple months ago, don't remember the vintage, but it was a bit too hot for me. Not sure why, because I love barrel proof anything. EH Taylor, any version, is a personal favorite. Haven't met a bottle of EHT I hated, but have been limited to BP and small batch right now. And not to be an ass, but some bourbon purists will not call the 10 yo and the 12 yo "Pappy" since his face and name are not actually on those labels.

Ullrsdog
03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Tried a Stagg a couple months ago, don't remember the vintage, but it was a bit too hot for me. Not sure why, because I love barrel proof anything. EH Taylor, any version, is a personal favorite. Haven't met a bottle of EHT I hated, but have been limited to BP and small batch right now. And not to be an ass, but some bourbon purists will not call the 10 yo and the 12 yo "Pappy" since his face and name are not actually on those labels.

well sure they can say what they want about the 10 and 12 year but it says old rip van winkle on the 10 and clearly states Pappy Van Winkle on the 12...not to mention that if they want to stick to the purist guns well then they'll have to admit that Pappy is dead, considering that current offerings will not be using Pappy yeast, opting instead for another Setzer Weller yeast...and I think it's the one used in the WLW offerings.

At the moment EHT Barrel Proof and Single Barrel are on the shelf for that particular version.

Yes I found Stagg Jr. a bit hot and probably cut it more than I would me EHT or Elijah or Bookers, I typically take them down to right around 100 proof or higher, right now I think the EHT is 134.5 and I add water to make it about 115, with the Stagg Jr. it was more like 95, but I still want to try the Stagg as I enjoyed the flavor of the Jr.

Just saw on MSN that Pappy will be releasing 710 bottles of 25 year, retailing at $1800 in April...the news of the 25 year isn't new to me but the release window is. Man seeing that I sold a bottle of 12 year for $350 after buying it for $80 (nearly 4:1) will this one fetch $5-7000 on the resale market?