PDA

View Full Version : The Switch

Retro
03-03-2017, 12:26 PM
I already posted how insanely expensive this console will be out of the gate, especially considering it's still under-powered compared to the PS4 & XBO which came out in 2013. I won't buy one ...yet. Not until they create a reasonable bundle that includes at the very least a Pro Controller and have a decent library of games. Hopefully some time around Christmas, but more likely late spring 2018.

I was very hard on the Wii, which I thought back then and still do to this day, is a terrible console, despite owning two of them. I did and still do admire how Nintendo marketed it however. Their marketing and advertising campaign was absolutely brilliant and done at the perfect time. It's also why I knew 100% from the moment they announced it that the Wii U would be an absolute failure. It was and Nintendo not deserved all the heat they took from it, they actually deserved more.

While the Wii was a limited and bad system, it had fantastic messaging. The Wii U actually had OK hardware, but horrendous messaging. Which brings me to the Switch. It has under-powered hardware and horrible messaging.

But it's going to succeed.

From the start, Nintendo has firmly placed the Switch as a Home Console with the ability to be taken on the go. Why, I don't know. I understand they don't want to kill off the beast that is the 3DS, but the 3DS players are more than ready to move on. This time, bad messaging won't hurt them. I believe gamers will look past it, the hardware itself is clear. This is a handheld that can be played on your TV, not the other way around.

Third party support will likely stick around this time. The titles may get altered from what is being released on PS4, XBO and PC, but the big publishers will support it. They've always supported Nintendo's handhelds and they will treat the Switch as one. Whether Nintendo wants them too or not. FIFA 18 being an example from EA. They've flat-out said, it's not a port of FIFA 17, it's just going to be a "different" version made especially for the Switch. Different meaning - Handheld. So long as the 3rd party publishers and developers look at it like this, the Switch will get games. If they try to treat it like a home console and go against the current competition, support will die. Even if Nintendo either through ignorance or more likely stubbornness wants to view and sell it as home console first, I believe the big 3rd parties know exactly what it is and how to handle it. Making a gimped down copy for a weak home console, not going to happen. Making an optimized handheld version for what is truly a different market, definitely appeals to them.

The 3DS over it's life so far has sold just over 65 million units. Ignoring the Wii sales as they are special case that has little to know chance of happening again for Nintendo, their best selling "home" console is the original NES, with just shy of 62 million units.

I don't think the Switch will necessarily get to those numbers, but somewhere between them and the SNES which sold just over 49 million, I believe is possible. IF. IF!!! Nintendo during the first year of launch can release at around 5 big exclusives, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does't count. They've released one big gun already. Hopefully that new Mario will be out in time for Christmas this year. They would do well to bring Metroid out as well in the next year.

Also, fire Reggie. Guy's a douche-bag.

wesleytomaz
03-04-2017, 07:27 AM
I was very hard on the Wii, which I thought back then and still do to this day, is a terrible console, despite owning two of them.

I will have to disagree with you on that. I think the Wii is a great system. But it had a different purpose and was intended for a different audience than the more traditional gaming systems.
After playing out all of my Wii games, I got the PS3. I loved playing games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed.
But that is not what the Wii was about. It was about
A - motion based party gaming
B - games that could have a sense of immersion thanks to the Wiimote.

Yes, if you are a gamer that basically plays FPS, then you gotta hate the Wii. I know many gamers that only play Fifa and FPS games, and they think Nintendo is for children. Or maybe it's their taste in games that is too focused (which is not wrong, only a matter of taste).
The Wii was the worst console for playing multiplatform games. Hell, I played Star Wars The Force Unleashed on it for my regret. But the system had its own merits.

It was great having my father, and even my grandfather, playing video games along with my 5 yo nephews on Wii Sports.
To this day, whenever I have friends over and I think we should play something fun, Wii Party is the first thing to cross my mind (it is the best party game I have played, anyone can pick it up and beat experienced players on its minigames).
Then you have Super Mario Galaxy (both) that are the best Mario games ever, except only for Super Mario 64.
Twilight Princess that made aiming the arrows and hookshots way easier.
Skyward Sword, the most immersive game I've played so far (no, I haven't played any VR games yet), where you could pick up the Master Sword from its pedestal, swing it, aim arrows, turn keys and so many other things, doing the motion Link would do.
Wii's Okami version, that made drawing much easier.
And other great games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

It is true that it was only Nintendo itself who showed true understanding of the hardware at hand and made the best use of it. So, the Wii was worth it mostly because of its first party games. But I think it was a great console in its proposition.

From the start, Nintendo has firmly placed the Switch as a Home Console with the ability to be taken on the go. Why, I don't know. I understand they don't want to kill off the beast that is the 3DS, but the 3DS players are more than ready to move on. This time, bad messaging won't hurt them. I believe gamers will look past it, the hardware itself is clear. This is a handheld that can be played on your TV, not the other way around.

I agree that it is an overpowered handheld and an underpowered home console. But I think most people will actually play it at home (I know I will). Besides, the messaging that it is a home console is probably intended for people to understand what kind of games they will be playing. For the first time, you don't have an enormous difference of quality and play style between the handheld and your home consoles. I mean, having a handheld as powerful as a PS3 is not something to take for granted, even if you own a PS4.
I also think that is the main reason why Skyrim is in it and was shown on the first video: "you can play games as huge as Skyrim on the go".
So I really look at it as a hybrid, both portable and home console, despite their attempts to say that it is a home system first.
Now, it will only prove itself as the games come. 1-2 Switch seems like a waste of U$ 50. But it is meant to show the capabilities of the system. I hope they release something as fun as Wii Party on the future.
Still this year, we will have Super Mario Odyssey, Splatton 2, ARMS (that could be either great or terrible), not reaching your 5 big games goal.
Along with Metroid, a new Super Smash Bros. is always welcome as well.

rootbeer001
03-05-2017, 04:50 PM
If you mod your Wii, it can be one hell of a retro emulator. NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, MAME.

I am not convinced of it yet as well, but I haven't researched it much either.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

TonkaToys
03-06-2017, 03:50 AM
Calling the Switch a portable / handheld console makes much more sense to me.

Can it do multiplayer on the move? How - does it need a Wi Fi hotspot or something like that?
Can you watch downloaded movies / TV on it? How does it store files - off an SD card / USB drive?
Can you use Netflix / Prime / iPlayer / etc. off it? Again with the Wi Fi hotspot question.

TonkaToys
03-06-2017, 05:52 AM
OK - bit late, sorry guys, but GameSeek are/were selling the Switch at 80 cheaper than RRP, because they guesstimated the price and decided to honour that for pre-orders.

They are still listing the Switch at 198 but they are out of stock (surprise). Might be worth keeping an eye on them, just in case.
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/Consoles/NintendoSwitch/

Retro
03-06-2017, 06:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpqWuABmQdY

Old Rich nails it. Specifically on the Wii.

Major Stains
03-07-2017, 03:10 AM
I can't even watch that vid. The decapitated Reggie head has given me the fear!

SmokeyCheese1
03-07-2017, 07:44 AM
What is "messaging"? Is it a service on the console?

HardlyCapable13
03-14-2017, 12:34 PM
Got my Switch in yesterday. Due to Nintendo being complete jack asses, I had to get it off eBay for an inflated price. Have I mentioned how much I despise Nintendo as a company?

I've only fired it up while charging and went through the initial setup. The fact that you can't transfer your profile unless you by something is complete bullshit. See the third sentence in paragraph one.

First impression, it is smaller than I anticipated; in a good way. It feels pretty good while using as a portable device. The controllers are a pain to detach without pressing other buttons (not supposed to) but it does feel pretty good as a stand alone controller too. The kickstand is a joke, and if playing like that you can't charge it as the plug attachment is on the bottom. Seriously? Who in the hell does Nintendo hire to come up with this shit; toddlers? No, even they wouldn't make such a stupid error.

There are a ton of things wrong with this; I mean it's designed (rushed to market) by Nintendo. You can find all that out there on the web, and I'll point them out as I come across them. I have yet to play it (starting Zelda tonight) so I'll update once that happens.

I haven't hooked up to the TV, and not sure if I will. I bought this thing to take with me on the road, so that's the only thing I'll really use it for.

TonkaToys
03-14-2017, 04:50 PM
I read about the kick stand / power issue; I cannot understand why they would make such a basic error.

Also HC, make sure you run any system updates because apparently there is an old vulnerability baked into the system that needs patching.

HardlyCapable13
03-15-2017, 10:48 AM
Played a few hours last night.

I did find another issue that will probably haunt me. The little door cover for the game cartridge is the style where you push in, and it pops out. I'm constantly getting phone calls/texts/emails for work, so had to set the Switch down a couple times through my play session, and one of the times when I picked it up I hit that and the cart popped out. I am not sure the last save point, as I was so irritated I didn't even go back into the game.

I haven't played around with the menu/home screen very much, but it seems super simple and easy to navigate (I despised the WiiU home/menu). I like the screenshot button, and tried it out last night. I went in to share it (hoping for Twitter) and am surprised I figured Nintendo would make anything easy. You have to sign up for a Nintendo account of some sort for sharing, so I quit and went back to playing.

So let's go to the reason anyone would spend money on this thing: Zelda. I'm a life long Nintendo player, and Zelda will always be one of my favorite franchises. I loved the original and A Link to the Past. The first time I fired up OoT, I was blown away. My dreams had been answered and there would never be a better game. I gave up on Nintendo after the N64 as I didn't really like their direction (including with Zelda). I did try Wind Waker years after release, and just couldn't get into it. So, as excited as I was for Breath of the Wild, I had my reservations.

Beginning my journey in this game brought me back to the first time I fired up OoT. It's just a fun, well made Zelda game. It looks and sounds great, and the world seems huge with a ton to do. I kept getting side tracked just exploring this nook, that ruin, and actually finding stuff that mattered. It's a great feeling to be back in Hyrule, and I can't stop thinking about when I'll get the chance tonight to dive back in.

The actual handheld feels pretty good to play, though I miss my X1 controller. Keep in mind, I've only played a handful of hours, but so far, it's been amazing.

wesleytomaz
03-15-2017, 05:58 PM
I did try Wind Waker years after release, and just couldn't get into it.

For some reason, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword have a very long "prologue", before the plot and the real game actually start. I think WW is the longest. In my opinion, this prologue only ends when you can finally sail, which could be a couple of hours into the game.
But they're all great games.

Good to know someone who was somewhat skeptical is into the game. I will get it in about a month, if I can find it in stock.

Retro
03-30-2017, 01:01 PM
First part of the video is about Nintendo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxh3tMZLwiM

TonkaToys
04-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Nintendo says the success of its new Switch console will help it to double annual profits.

It has become the fastest-selling games console in the Japanese firm's history, with 2.7 million units bought in March - the first month it was available.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39728779)

Remind me again... what is the double of zero profits?

Retro
04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Is it funny or sad that they said the same thing about the Wii U's initial launch numbers? Or that they are only comparing it to their home consoles and not their handhelds.

DeadChaos
06-02-2017, 03:05 AM
Nintendo Switch's Splatoon 2 Headset Is One Clunky Setup. Splatoon 2, Nintendo Switch's colorful and chaotic shooter due out next month, will feature voice chat in multiplayer mode. We've now gotten a look at the (hefty) Splatoon 2-themed headset that will launch alongside the game courtesy of the Splatoon 2's Japanese Twitter account.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1577/15776161/3241876-splatoon+set+up.png

Fans no doubt expected something a little less clunky, with this configuration including a splitter that allows you to hear both voice chat from your phone and game audio from the system itself. According to an image published by 4Gamer, the splitter's cables are less than 20 inches long. The site also reports the headset will cost about US $32. We still don't know if you'll be able to use other headsets in the game.

In March, Nintendo revealed Splatoon 2 would have voice chat, using smart devices to link up to eight different Nintendo Switch systems together for local multiplayer.

Meanwhile, Splatoon 2's Japanese players are getting a Switch bundle with the game, neon green and pink Joy-Cons, and game stickers. A similar colored Switch Pro controller is being released and, last month, Nintendo began offering an actual empty Splatoon 2 bundle box for preorder for anyone who wants the packaging but already owns a Nintendo Switch.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switchs-splatoon-2-headset-is-one-clunky-/1100-6450486/

Retro
07-19-2017, 06:00 PM
Oh Nintendo....

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--XydJqYU6--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/ml8djx9zzyzc7li2etcj.jpg

The Nintendo Switch online app is live for Android and Apple devices. It offers some Splatoon 2 utilities that let players to keep track of their stats or buy special in-game items, which is pretty neat. It’s just not a very elegant solution for online voice chat between friends.

In order to communicate with friends over voice in Splatoon 2 (and only friends, as is Nintendo’s way), each friend will need to have the Nintendo Online app downloaded and running on their phone or tablet. Players will need a communication headset of some sort plugged into their phone. If they want to hear game sounds and chat, they’ll either need a one-sided headset, or a splitter like the one that comes with Hori’s adorable licensed headset.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--uyb5Wfrq--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/odrfnov5n7fd4udouhfu.jpg

One of the players in your group must then go into Splatoon 2's multiplayer section and create a private room via the Online Lounge section, sending out invitations to each friend they want to chat with. Invitations can also be sent through the app directly Once an invitation is accepted, friend icons show up on a screen in the mobile app.

The Online Lounge mode only allows for private games between people present in the lounge. Voice chat will also work in League Battles, Splatfest battles and Salmon Run co-op. Ranked games and basic multiplayer battles are excluded. Another limitation is that once teams are selected, the voice channels switch to team communication only. As soon as we started a 1-on-1 match, we could no longer hear each other until the match was complete.
Update 7/19/2017, 1:55PM: It also bears mentioning that switching to another app or taking a phone call on the phone being used for Splatoon 2 chat will disconnect players from the room until they return to the Switch Online app. From Nintendo’s FAQ (http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26938/p/897):

If I use my smart device’s other features (texts, social media, etc.) will I be disconnected?The voice chat will disconnect while you’re talking on the phone or using another application, but your voice chat will restart in the same room once you open the Nintendo Switch Online application again as long as the game session is still ongoing.
It’s better than nothing, but not much better? It would be just as easy for players to call each other on Skype or Teamspeak or whatever they did when they played the original, completely voice-less Splatoon. If we’re going to require external hardware, might as well have full-featured software to go along with it.

An optimal solution for online voice chat on the Nintendo Switch would be the ability to just hook a headset to the console. Instead, Nintendo decided to require players to use an external app on an external device. Speaking to Kotaku earlier this year (http://kotaku.com/nintendos-reggie-fils-aime-on-switch-voice-chat-lack-o-1796147494#_ga=2.193745197.187860390.1500465096-1691562508.1500465096), Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said that requiring a mobile device for voice chat would allow Nintendo to “deliver a better, more robust execution.”
I’m not seeing it yet, but it’s still early. Maybe jumping through all of these hoops will be worthwhile, eventually. Just not today.

wesleytomaz
07-20-2017, 06:38 AM
I was just now discussing this with my boss. The only logical explanation for this is that they couldn't make it right in time for the launch of Splatoon 2 and released it as is. An update fixing this has to come some time soon.

HardlyCapable13
07-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Good riddance Switch. Sold and shipped; I wipe my hands of all Nintendo hardware forever.

wesleytomaz
07-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Why? You think it's that bad?
What made you think that?

I've had it for almost a month. Playing mostly Zelda. It is flawed, but I like it. I play Mario Kart eventually too, which is great.

HardlyCapable13
07-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Why? You think it's that bad?
What made you think that?

I've had it for almost a month. Playing mostly Zelda. It is flawed, but I like it. I play Mario Kart eventually too, which is great.

I can't stand how Nintendo does business (this console was released way too early). They frustrate the hell out of me.

The console has so many flaws that are completely laughable it makes me wonder who the hell their R&D and testing teams are made up of.

Then this to chat? Seriously?

I did play Zelda quite a bit, but it just didn't make me HAVE to keep jumping back in. The only time I played it was on the road. When I was home, I'd pick the Xbox One or PS4 every time. The weapons breaking every few minutes made me loathe firing the game up, and eventually just not play it anymore. I did (for some reason) buy Mario Kart, even though I had it on the WiiU.

wesleytomaz
07-20-2017, 06:11 PM
(this console was released way too early).

I have to agree with you there, but I also agree with these guys from IGN:

https://youtu.be/IJwcycZdvbE

Unlike you, I can't get enough of Zelda, so I've been barely touching my PS4 lately. And playing a game like that on the road is great.

But then again, I had to take the opportunity of traveling to the US to get it. I couldn't wait to have it 100% ready with chat and whatever else, and then having to pay astronomic Brazilian prices for it.
You guys can wait for a switch 2.0 or for the patches it needs. Makes sense.

wesleytomaz
03-06-2018, 07:15 AM
Hey guys. I've been away from this forum for a good while now, but I guess my life is getting back on track and can go back to playing online.
Is everyone still off the Switch train?
I could use Mario Kart and Splatoon buddies.

Retro
03-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Hey guys. I've been away from this forum for a good while now, but I guess my life is getting back on track and can go back to playing online.
Is everyone still off the Switch train?
I could use Mario Kart and Splatoon buddies.

Everyone's pretty much on the Discord server now. I think HB bought a Switch for his son, not sure if he plays it himself.