PDA

View Full Version : Discord

Major Stains
09-15-2017, 07:37 AM
All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.

https://preview.ibb.co/eKuM8k/Discord_Feature_Graphic.png (https://ibb.co/kizook)

Discord (https://discordapp.com) is free platform with numerous servers (encrypted/ DDoS protected) all with robust permissions and multiple channels.
Available on desktop and mobile app for gaming chat on the go.

As of September 2017, Team MP is integrating Discord within it's current website.
Sign up to utilise the text and voice chat features as well as in built steaming services.

Please feel free to use this thread for any Discord related questions.

Gink
09-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the continued input on this, and taking the time to weigh in on the path of the community.

For those interested, you can preview the Discord integration / replacement of the chatbox by going to the bottom of this or any forum page and choosing the [Fluid] Morbid Dark option in the theme dropdown.

DeadChaos
09-20-2017, 03:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the continued input on this, and taking the time to weigh in on the path of the community.

For those interested, you can preview the Discord integration / replacement of the chatbox by going to the bottom of this or any forum page and choosing the [Fluid] Morbid Dark option in the theme dropdown.

Thanks. I can't login/link to Discord though from the chat box. Getting an "authentication error! You have been banned" message.

TonkaToys
09-20-2017, 03:29 AM
:banplease:

About time too... :boink:

tthfry
09-20-2017, 03:39 AM
Thanks. I can't login/link to Discord though from the chat box. Getting an "authentication error! You have been banned" message.

Yeah, me too. Sounds like it's not my cookies then. Gink is looking into it. The cookie monster will be pleased that I don't have to delete any cookies.

DeadChaos
09-20-2017, 04:40 AM
:banplease:

About time too... :boink:

You sure you want to start waving that ban hammer around?? :assassin:

JockoPablo
09-20-2017, 07:54 AM

I love the Discord integration but the text size and color makes the forum very difficult for me to read.

Gink
09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
I love the Discord integration but the text size and color makes the forum very difficult for me to read.

Heh, yeah, that theme can be pretty rough on the eyes. If we decide to integrate Discord, and get the bugs worked out, it will be added to all themes, so that won't be a problem.

Gink
09-20-2017, 10:40 AM

That's two of you now. Hmm. Both on the far side of the pond. Is there anyone not in US/Canada who have been able to login without issues?

@DC, Oddly, you show up in the 'unauthenticated users' as 'MP DeadChaos', so it was treating you as a guest user, not logged in. Though it still didn't show you as banned for any reason.

Gink
09-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Considering that the regular chat box is currently showing messages that are 5 days old, and Discord integration seems to be working aside from a few issues that what be easiest to work out if more folks were using the Discord box, I'm considering adding it to the default theme soon.

Obviously, if there's mass opposition to this move, I won't go ahead with it, so please speak up if you don't want to see the current chat box go bye-bye and be replaced with the Discord version that is currently only on the Morbid Dark theme.

If you try out the Discord chat box on the dark theme, and have any problem logging in, please let me know, with as many details as possible as to what went wrong, whether you already have a discord account you were trying to login with, or were logging in as a guest user, etc etc. The more information the better for figuring out any bugs.

Thanks!

TonkaToys
09-20-2017, 12:53 PM
Far side of pond: check
Having problems: check

When I open the discord chat box, I get a blank screen and it removes the scroll bars from the side of the page.
I noticed that because it looks like the discord chat box is moving all the rest of the page elements down but I cannot scroll down to check.
I can close the discord chat box and all the other elements including the scroll bars reappear.

I've tested this on IE11 (work standard)

Will now test on Chrome.

Gink
09-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Far side of pond: check
Having problems: check

When I open the discord chat box, I get a blank screen and it removes the scroll bars from the side of the page.
I noticed that because it looks like the discord chat box is moving all the rest of the page elements down but I cannot scroll down to check.
I can close the discord chat box and all the other elements including the scroll bars reappear.

I've tested this on IE11 (work standard)

Will now test on Chrome.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. That sounds like formatting issues due to how I had to hack it into the forum and allow it to be collapsable, as folks seem to prefer being able to collapse it.
I did all that in Chrome, of course, so it should work better there.

Were you able to get logged into Discord okay? Or have similar issues to other folks?

tthfry
09-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Obviously, if there's mass opposition to this move, I won't go ahead with it, so please speak up if you don't want to see the current chat box go bye-bye and be replaced with the Discord version that is currently only on the Morbid Dark theme.

Objection, your Honor. Well... only a minor one. As it just so happened for me but I like the general idea behind it: Will you be able to include the community milestone announcements into discord? That be fantastic, I really enjoy seeing them pop up.

Gink
09-20-2017, 02:24 PM
Objection, your Honor. Well... only a minor one. As it just so happened for me but I like the general idea behind it: Will you be able to include the community milestone announcements into discord? That be fantastic, I really enjoy seeing them pop up.

I don't think so. I'm sure we'll learn more about what the Discord bots are capable of, and maybe even be able to write some custom ones of our own, but I'm not sure this old forum software will play along well. That's the one thing I'll miss about the chatbox as well, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for some other way to have milestones/achievements like that.

tthfry
09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
I had a look at the Discord Hooks the other day and I was able to post to my playground via the API. The chat box must be using some kind of hook too, informing it to post the milestone. Theoretically you would 'just' have to send a POST to a different URL... 😉 Unfortunately I can't fiddle around with vB for the reasons at hand.

JockoPablo
09-20-2017, 02:45 PM
I also get the "You've been banned" message when when I try to log in to Discord from here.

Gink
09-20-2017, 03:42 PM
I had a look at the Discord Hooks the other day and I was able to post to my playground via the API. The chat box must be using some kind of hook too, informing it to post the milestone. Theoretically you would 'just' have to send a POST to a different URL... ������ Unfortunately I can't fiddle around with vB for the reasons at hand.

Yeah, I haven't looked much at the Discord Hooks yet, but I have a feeling they are way more friendly than the vB side of things. The current chat box is an installed 'plugin' or 'product' or something, so is most likely a heap of PHP and such that tie directly into the site's workings / has direct access to the user's post count, etc. I'll take a look at the Discord API eventually, and then see if there's a way to send the info out of vB when a milestone is reached.

Gink
09-20-2017, 03:44 PM
I also get the "You've been banned" message when when I try to log in to Discord from here.

Hmm. So you are seeing the "login to post" button, and hitting that? Then are you getting the Discord login / authenticator that comes up in a new page? It's a multi-step process the first time I come to the site each day, wondering which step is going awry for folks.

DeadChaos
09-21-2017, 03:58 AM
Hmm. So you are seeing the "login to post" button, and hitting that? Then are you getting the Discord login / authenticator that comes up in a new page? It's a multi-step process the first time I come to the site each day, wondering which step is going awry for folks.

Yes. I have tried to de-authorise Titan from Discord and then tried authorising again but it did not work. Also disabled Discord two factor authentication but same message still showed.

JockoPablo
09-21-2017, 07:06 AM

Yep. I clicked the "Login" button where it says "Please login to post a message." That brings up a window that asks me how I want to authenticate. I clicked Discord, then a window from Discord opened asking me to authorize the connection. When I did that the "banned" error popped up.

I'm trying it again this morning and now when I click "Authorize" the wheels spin but nothing happens. No error, though.

EDIT: In my settings in Discord it shows Titan as an authorized app, so the authorization apparently went through. This site just doesn't see it. BTW: I don't have two-factor authentication enabled.

Gink
09-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I will get back into touch with the Titan folks and see if they can give me any info on why this is happening.

Gink
09-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Jocko, are you getting the username/password login before the authorize screen?

For me I see a login button in the site box, click it, then on the next screen click "login with Discord", then get a new tab to enter my login in, then I get the authorize page which lists all the things I'm authorizing the app to do and click the authorize button.

JockoPablo
09-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Jocko, are you getting the username/password login before the authorize screen?

For me I see a login button in the site box, click it, then on the next screen click "login with Discord", then get a new tab to enter my login in, then I get the authorize page which lists all the things I'm authorizing the app to do and click the authorize button.

Yes. The first time I hit the authorize button I got the "banned" error. Now when I click it nothing happens.

Gink
09-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Yes. The first time I hit the authorize button I got the "banned" error. Now when I click it nothing happens.

Well, the TitanEmbeds lead is supposed to be checking things out, but I'm not hearing much from him. I'm digging through the Discord Developer Guide and the TitanEmbed codebase to try and at least get some of idea of how all this stuff is supposed to work together. Would be nice if there was a log, or more specific error messages to tell us what's really going on, since obviously you guys aren't banned.

Major Stains
09-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Good work Gink. I had a look at the Alpha on the Blue Morbid theme and it looked good.
FYI I could see all of the channels without signing in on desktop Firefox browser, but can't see anything come up on Safari desktop browser or Safari iOS.

Will there be any channels encouraging traffic back through the door this way?
Like a #whatsonatTeamMP, or #TeamMPgamenights with members sharing links to posts they think other users might be interested in.

It might help to integrate the two systems?

integrate
ˈɪntɪɡreɪt/
verb
bring (people or groups with particular characteristics or needs) into equal participation in or membership of a social group or institution.

Gink
09-21-2017, 01:50 PM
I had a look at the Discord Hooks the other day and I was able to post to my playground via the API. The chat box must be using some kind of hook too, informing it to post the milestone. Theoretically you would 'just' have to send a POST to a different URL... ������ Unfortunately I can't fiddle around with vB for the reasons at hand.

The Discord API looks pretty good. It allows us to set up our own webhooks and all that. Creating our own bots even seems viable if we ever have good reason. It's all js/node/json, easy to work with.
On the vB side, there's an internal hook that fires anytime a new post is made. That's what the chat box code is tied to, it checks the user's total post count and if it matches the set interval (every 100 posts), it creates a notification in the chat box. So yes, we'd basically need the same logic, but want it to fire off a POST to a custom webhook in Discord. We'd just need to create a new plugin tied to the appropriate vB hook, written in PHP of course. How are your PHP chops? Mine are a) rusty, b) I hate bloody PHP

Gink
09-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Good work Gink. I had a look at the Alpha on the Blue Morbid theme and it looked good.
FYI I could see all of the channels without signing in on desktop Firefox browser, but can't see anything come up on Safari desktop browser or Safari iOS.

Interesting. Safari and iOS are always odd beasts. Apple isn't especially interested in conforming to industry standards. Though it's always a challenge just trying to get things working similarly between even just Chrome and Firefox, throw in IE/Edge, Safari, and iOS and it becomes quite the nightmare.

I think we'll also probably have to do some fine-tuning on what's accessible without logging in. Though, if I recall correctly, the chat/discord box probably isn't visible to visitors of teammp.net until they login? Might have to test that.

Will there be any channels encouraging traffic back through the door this way?
Like a #whatsonatTeamMP, or #TeamMPgamenights with members sharing links to posts they think other users might be interested in.
It might help to integrate the two systems?

Anything's possible. I've mostly been focused on the technical aspects, laying the pipe and tying things together. We'll definitely have to continue thinking about / discussing what sort of cool features can be added, and exploring how we can integrate and tie everything together to improve the overall MP user experience. I've just barely started digging into the developer guide for Discord. I'm happy with what I see, it's pretty flexible, modern, and accessible, basically all the things that vB isn't. So we'll continue to have some of the same challenges in that vB doesn't play well with others, regardless of how willing Discord is to integrate.

But, from what I've seen, I can see the possibility of having a channel in Discord that updates with various types of activity that goes on here, new posts, etc. Which would be pretty handy, especially since it would appear in realtime, unlike this site, where you have to reload the page, or move to another page before the sidebar gets updated with new posts.

There may also be hooks for events posted here that could be broadcast across. But we've never had a ton of luck with getting folks to use the events calendar here to set up game times. Understandably, as it's not the most apparent, nor the best working system when it comes to different timezones. Not sure what the solution for that is though. Sure would be nice to have something for setting up events / signing up to groups that inspired folks to actually use it.

Gink
09-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Well, based on input form the TitanEmbed creator, we've flipped a switch that may fix the authentication problem. Let me know if you can connect now, or still have the same problems.

tthfry
09-22-2017, 03:59 AM
The Discord API looks pretty good. It allows us to set up our own webhooks and all that. Creating our own bots even seems viable if we ever have good reason. It's all js/node/json, easy to work with.
On the vB side, there's an internal hook that fires anytime a new post is made. That's what the chat box code is tied to, it checks the user's total post count and if it matches the set interval (every 100 posts), it creates a notification in the chat box. So yes, we'd basically need the same logic, but want it to fire off a POST to a custom webhook in Discord. We'd just need to create a new plugin tied to the appropriate vB hook, written in PHP of course. How are your PHP chops? Mine are a) rusty, b) I hate bloody PHP

My PHP is a little bit rusty, too. Haven't done much lately (bloody mysql errors on my personal site for a year now...). But I'm on rather good terms with it - not a pro though.

I already fiddled around a bit with an appropriate JSON for a post notifier (the "What's new" channel). Think I may need some more work on that one but it's pretty nice already. The milestone notifier *should* be relatively simple. We may be able to take most of what's needed from the chatbox plugin.

edit: Oh, I forgot: Titan works now.

DeadChaos
09-22-2017, 04:13 AM
Well, based on input form the TitanEmbed creator, we've flipped a switch that may fix the authentication problem. Let me know if you can connect now, or still have the same problems.

Works now, thanks Gink.

JockoPablo
09-22-2017, 07:48 AM
Success! Great work, Gink.

Major Stains
09-27-2017, 09:29 AM
I see that Discord has been added to the Blue Age theme that I use.
Using it on desktop Firefox / Safari, and iOS Safari all I can see is a big blank box...

...so I guess it isn't that much different to the old chat in that respect! :brick:

Gink
09-27-2017, 10:12 AM
I see that Discord has been added to the Blue Age theme that I use.
Using it on desktop Firefox / Safari, and iOS Safari all I can see is a big blank box...

...so I guess it isn't that much different to the old chat in that respect! :brick:

Yes, between the general consensus being in favor, and the fact that the posts in the chat box were a week old...

I'm on a mac at work, will check out Firefox and Safari. Chrome works well, have had folks report they can even use it on their phones (unlike any other chatbox we've ever had).

-------
Works fine on Firefox on my Mac. But Safari seems to be rendering the contents of the chatbox outside of the chatbox itself, so it appears as if nothing is there. Good old Apple. I'll look into it more when I have some time.

Retro
09-27-2017, 10:41 AM
More posts in Discord in a single day than the chat box gets in a month.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fKk2I5iiWGN0I/giphy.gif

Gink
09-27-2017, 11:57 AM

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-20-2015/DUktr7.gif
two turntables and a microphone!

Major Stains
09-27-2017, 02:35 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/7ZjmsISzWnreE/giphy.gif

Thats great that MPs have a place to chat but how many of them are accessing Discord through the site compared to the Discord browser or the Discord iOS/ Android app? Yes the site chat has been dead for a month because the guys that used it now chat on Discord, it's not rocket surgery as they say!

Look, I'm not poo-pooing on the feature, it's a great addition. But to me it is absolutely no different to when Lee tried to integrate Facebook with the site, although that didn't work and this did. Great you can see the feature from the site, but the majority who use it will use the native platform because it works better, as it's designed to. It won't do anything to encourage those people to use the site any more. The same people are posting here and visiting here, and less people stop by to use the (dead chat) because they chat on Discord
Just saying it how it is, and it's Facebook wearing the Emperor's new clothes.

Not much more to say on it really. Although thanks to Gink for taking the time to make it work with this old beast of a site.

Retro
09-27-2017, 04:28 PM
Yes the site chat has been dead for a month because the guys that used it now chat on Discord, it's not rocket surgery as they say!

No, be real. The chat on this site has been dead for years. The only people who really used it with ANY regularity were you, me, HC, Freak and in the last year or so DC and Growl. And even then, most of the time it was dead.

On weekends it never moved.

It hasn't just been a month. And it wasn't Discord that had anything to do with that. Discord just replaced something that was dead for a long time and just needed to be buried.

GRRowl74
09-27-2017, 04:43 PM
Heeey - I never use the chat.

And seriously Retro, you need to change your metaphors cos that shit is some dark and gloomy melodrama. It's a chat box, not our collective hopes and dreams for a new tomorrow.

Retro
09-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Well, I was trying to bring something positive and would maybe involve more members with Discord. The dark and gloomy is coming from people who can't accept any form of change, then complain that MP isn't like the old days when people spoke to each regularly. When in fact they are now doing just that.

You guys got one thing right I guess, I'm moving to Discord 100% as it's lacking in one key thing found here, passive aggressive negativity.

Consider it one more long time MP pushed out.

GRRowl74
09-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Come on Retro, lighten up. Did I forget the emoji, is that it? I've stood on the sidelines for quite some time where your servings of passive-aggressive negativity has been generous on other peoples ideas and efforts, something along "this place is dead" springs to mind, so I would expect you to be able to handle a little semi-friendly jab in the ribs for it.

For the duration of the time I've been here, the effort of recruiting new members, welcoming them in, keeping this place active in content and discussions both here and on the respective platforms, making changes to the place to try and improve it - has been centered around a small group of people. Major has been at the center of pretty much all if it. What I've seen from you is mostly talk of how great this place used to be, how every idea has been tried before and won't work, and how dead it is in here now. Pardon me for pointing that out. I think it's great that you're trying to contribute to positive change for this place(again, I presume. Wasn't here for the good old days) - but in this process there has to be respect and room for opinions, and frankly less re-runs of old drama between you vets in here.

If you want to use me as an excuse to go sulk in Discord, then be my guest. But you know that's not the case.

Major Stains
09-28-2017, 12:38 AM
I'm willing to accept change, but just trying to establish how Discord is benefitting teammp.net. Yes it is active as I mentioned above, but I can't see that activity being anymore use to helping the site thrive then say the PS4 message groups or other in game message groups. It creates factions where people become comfortable using that method of communication.
No passive aggressiveness here, just making a point.

I think it is becoming clear that yes, Team MP is surviving in its many different forms. But there is no way of incorporating them and utilising them to improve this site as the hub and heart of the Clan. We should just accept that and allow each area to flourish under its own rules and guidelines.