PDA

View Full Version : MYST

Trez
07-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm rediscovering this game thanks to its release on the App Store. After playing the entire MYST trilogy more than 15 years ago it's great to discover it again. It's such a great game, timeless and amazing. For me no game has ever captured the immersion factor as much as this game when playing it. Even when I'm not playing I'm thinking about the world and trying to solve the puzzles in my mind. If anyone has ever played MYST I'm sure you understand. I highly recommend this game to everyone (it's not iPhone specific), and if you've played it before you should play it again. I'd love to talk about it with whoever might be interested.

I started playing it last night and finally went to bed three hours later! :-B

Man it would be great as a WiiWare release! Such an awesome game!

CIGARELLO
07-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Good god do I remember that one. I never finished that SOB. I think I got stuck in the mine car maze or not.

Trez
07-15-2009, 01:19 AM
I don't remember the mine cart maze. :-? Maybe I didn't finish it either. :|
There's a lot about the first one I don't remember, that's what makes it so great.

I know for sure I finished MYST 2 and 3, Exile and Riven (I think those were the names).

Lumchan
07-18-2009, 05:50 PM
I played this way back in 95. I can't even remember if I finished it or not. That seems like so long ago. :daydream:

ScoobySnacks
07-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Good god do I remember that one. I never finished that SOB. I think I got stuck in the mine car maze or not.

That's exactly where I got lost and haven't played since

Trez
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM

I got there last night and I did remember it from years ago. Sadly I missed the page from that age before I got in the maze so I had to complete it three times! By the third time it made a lot more sense and it was a lot easier once I figured out the secret.

I'll probably finish it tonight.

Trez
07-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I finished Myst last night. What an amazing game. I'm going to play it again soon.

Overall, if you play the game correctly it takes hours and hours of exploration, attention to detail, good memory (screen shots are invaluable) and completion of over 100 puzzles. After I got to the end I realized that you only have to solve 3 puzzles to complete the game. The game can be completed in less than five minutes. That is if you know what's going on. Here's how it's done.

[spoiler:1fvt491e]Basically all you have to do to complete the game is take the final page of the D'ni Myst book to Atrus. You find the page by flipping all the marker switches on Myst to "on" then turning the dock switch back "off". To find the clue to do so would take you at least half the game. That's puzzle 1. Puzzle 2 is the clock puzzle. You have to solve it to get to a marker switch. Puzzle three is in the fireplace. You only get the clue to that puzzle as one of the final steps in the game, so it's impossible to complete it early. That is unless you know what's going on.

I found a speed run showing how it's done here (http://www.google.com/url?cd=1&ct=res&ei=l7ljSrDXMYraqAPb_IIq&oi=video_result&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DcIRtu tbSwak&resnum=1&sa=D&usg=AFQjCNGbsvelPAYQhShnyt1YIgOufiYZlw).[/spoiler:1fvt491e]
If you haven't played Myst the spoiler and posted video link really won't make much sense, so it's not too much of a spoiler. If anything it might peak your interest.

Raider
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
The only thing I remember about this game was trying to figure out how to open some type of dam for a ship to get out or something like that. I spent 3 weeks trying to figure out that puzzle before I said F it.....and never played it again.

xMisFitToyx
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
I got this game years ago..........but I cheated to finish it.......on the PC version, all you have to do is look at the vid files on the disk....play them and viola it shows you how to complete each puzzle....... :-"

CELockwood
12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I never played Myst... but there's another puzzle game that i can't remember the damn name.. i spent hours and days only to get stuck at a spot where you had to play this skeleton piano and match the notes... for the life of me i couldn't do the damn thing...

Was that 7th Guest? Loved that one.

Trez
12-26-2010, 03:24 PM
7th Guest was just ported to the App Store. It doesn't seem to have aged well, looking at the screenshots. I loved that game but passed on it this time because it looked so dated.

Speaking of Myst; Riven was ported to the App Store too. It was a must buy for me, but I'm pretty disappointed. The graphics have been severly compressed and the "hint" feature ruins the immersion. Game Center support seems to be broken too. I was hoping it would be an amazing port, taking full advantage of the beautiful Retina display, but it looks like crap. Very sad. :( The story and puzzles are stil great though.