PDA

View Full Version : Are you using wi-fi or a wired connection for your wii?

DB4
10-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Just curious to see how everyone is connecting their wii to their home network.

I have always used a wireless connection and I am kind of curious to know if that potential gives me a disadvantage. :-\

Has anyone experimented with both types? Do you feel that you have had better connectivity with one over the other? I am also curious to know if a wireless connection would not be as consistant as a wired one, creating more lag at times, and less at others.

Psalm
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I have used both types....wired is faster usually. but, not markedly so.

Borlaxx
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Wireless. Sometimes I have great connections, sometimes they are shit.

Daddio
10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I am using wired connection thinking wired must be better than wireless. However it seems to be the ISP. Last night I was playing I had shit connection for every match. I am on Frontier....Who are you using DB4? I am going to Comcast in May. My nieghbor just went to Comcast. He is playing MW1 on PS3. He told me the other day he is host a lot more often then when with Frontier.

DB4
10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I am on Frontier....Who are you using DB4?

I have Comcast. I have never experienced Fronier as I have just moved into their area. I was using ATT/Yahoo! at my old spot. I seem to have a more consistant connection with Cable than I did with DSL. We didn't go Frontier because #1: we heard shitty things about them; #2: I got a kick-ass deal with Comcast :-"

10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
i use wifi and it crap at moment lol

Trez
10-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm wireless too. I usually play while everyone is out of the house, so I know no one is eating up bandwidth. I also close any applications on my computer that might use bandwidth to help the connection. Mine seems to be pretty solid. When I host it fluctuates. I always ask on TS if my connection is cool with everyone and I usually get a thumbs up.

adam
10-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I use wireless with Tiscali in the UK who are quite good at the moment. I will be moving house soon so I will get to choose a new provider and it should be quicker as I will be closer to the telephone exchange!!

Time to see who is the best out there at the moment

iheartpain
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Wireless with Comcast. Now that I think about it, I do end up hosting quite a bit... :-?

Great connections about 99% of the time.

ScoobySnacks
10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a wireless router and verizon FIOS. So I have no excuse when I play badly ;)

10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
I use a Linksys WRT54G with a 1.5 Mbps dsl connection by Qwest. Thank god I rarely host. The wii I would prefer not to host and the PS3 will automatically pick a better host if I'm selected. Wired connection would be too much of a pain in the rear to attempt in my home.

OldGregg
10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Wireless with Comcasts as well. I have a pretty good signal most of the time now since having switched from Verizon. When I had Verizon my signal was garbage almost exclusively.

KeaBra
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I am using a wireless connection.

What internet connection delivers your provider???

I have now ADSL 20 Mb/s download (max.) Probably 8 Mb/s for me and 3 Mb/s upload. Next month I switch. I get a cable connection: 50 Mb/s down (next year it will be 100 Mb/s) and 5 Mb/s up.

Borlaxx
10-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I am using a wireless connection.

What internet connection delivers your provider???

I have now ADSL 20 Mb/s download (max.) Probably 8 Mb/s for me and 3 Mb/s upload. Next month I switch. I get a cable connection: 50 Mb/s down (next year it will be 100 Mb/s) and 5 Mb/s up.
If you run a speed test from your wii you will see that the wii never gets anywhere near these max numbers. I ran a test from my desktop and from the wii and the numbers were dramatically different.

jpw3man
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Wi Fi

OldGregg
01-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I might have mentioned this already, but the antenna in my 3 yr old Wii must be going out because after switching to a wired connection, I have no issues with connection problems anymore. Switching ISPs helped out tremendously but then it went to shit again. I'm just glad to have finally figured it out.

StrawHousePig
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Awesome. Look forward to finding out in some matches. ;)

Borlaxx
02-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Thread moved to Wii forum

=T4NUKI=
05-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I use wi-fi and so far so good !

TrojanTeacher
05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep, I use Wi-Fi. Just make sure your router is central to the house and you should be good.

--Teach

Major Stains
10-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Just thought I would drag this up, as I am thinking of going wired for black ops. As I mentioned before, being 4 miles from the exchange with old copper cables, its never gonna be quick. But I thought a wired connection may help a little bit. As I currently get beyween 1-1.35 download speed.
I did hear that the lower your ping result the better.
Also never turn the router off as this can make for poor stability.

If I do go wired, can anyone recommend a good LAN adaptor? I think they are 10 on Spamazon. Is it router to usb?
Cheers folks

Major Stains
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Hey there Stains. Yeah a wired connection would be a good idea, much more stable. Any Lan adaptor should do it. Good luck

Major Stains
10-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks mate. I will give it a go, cheers for the advice. Its great to be part of such an active forum 8-}

Major Stains
10-13-2010, 05:31 PM
No worries. Stains, are you feeling ok? You're acting a bit strange...

johnboy
10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
I thought I'd commented on this. Maybe I used my phone and it didn't post. CJ tried with a wired connection and said it didn't work as well as he thought. Then again he is on cable and has a really fast connection so I can't see it making much difference. I fancy trying it but my router is in a different room and don't want wires trailing around the house.

Major Stains
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Ah. There is life here. Nice one jb. Hope all is well with you and yours.