PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Streaming Is Here for the Wii!

Borlaxx
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
UPDATE: Here is the link IHP found to the official Wii Netflix page: The Official Netflix Wii Page (http://www.netflix.com/NRDInfo/Wii)

Just found this article on Gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6245214.ht ... es;title;2 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6245214.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;2)

I just got the disc for the PS3 today and my son is watching a old favorite show of his that isn't on the air anymore. The 360 doesn't require a disc, but that is because of a deal between them and Netflix that their system would be the only one to do so, and that deal runs out this year and the PS3 will not require the disc after an update. Don't know if the Wii will use a disc or not.

Psalm
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
This is cool....I didn't know there was a program called playon that would allow you to use netflix on the Wii.

Trez
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
This is cool....I didn't know there was a program called playon that would allow you to use netflix on the Wii.
I looked into that play on program. It seemed pretty cool, but it was for PC only. They had a beta which allowed you to stream Netflix to the Wii, but after the beta expired apparently you had to pay for it.

I read about this on The Wiire. They brought up an interesting point about how it might be less than ideal because of the lack of HD. Either way I'd still love to be able to play Netflix on my Wii. I hope this pans out.

Borlaxx
01-12-2010, 07:14 AM
From what I have read you can't stream true HD from netflix and that the "HD" setting for streaming is really just DVD quality. The program I streamed for my son last night was is standard definition and it looked like standard cable, so less than DVD quality. Still, pretty badass. It should be known that the stuff you can stream is older movies for the most part that have been out for a least a couple years and isn't anywhere near their whole selection. Still, as long as you have a netflix account you don't have to pay any more for the streaming at all, and you can still rent newer stuff through the mail. This is the wave of the future however and likely soon just about everything will be available for streaming.

Psalm
01-12-2010, 08:59 AM
We stream alot of stuff at our house... they release some newer movies to streaming...I just saw 7 pounds again last night with the Wife...pretty new movie.
As far as HD quality...Yes it is HD quality. as good as some cable's HD.1080i for the most part... I watched some Nat Geo stuff with my youngest the other day in HD streaming and it was excellent quality. My TV will tell you the quality stream and it said 1080i... rarely do I get 1080p.

RedZeppelin
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
My Blu ray player can stream Netflix, and their HD stuff looks pretty darn good to me. But since there isn't that much of it I don't think the lack of HD support would be a killer. No one buys a Wii for HD picture quality anyway, and DVD-quality is good enough for the majority of Netflix stuff. I think it would be a great addition to the Wii. I use my Blu ray player to stream Netflix movies as much or more than I use it to play Blu ray discs.

dadafett
01-13-2010, 12:01 AM
That's good news me and the family can use... a tad faster than snail mail

MyBoomStk
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
I'm curious how the quality will be since the wii is only 480p. May not be all that bad. I know on the xbox its not the greatest. But its not half bad either. It's great for kids cartoons and stuff.
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/wii-getting-netflix-streaming

Borlaxx
01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
We already have a thread for this Boom. In fact, it is right below this one in the forum, LOL! I am going to merge these posts into it.

RATA MUERTA
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
I think that the quality is great on the xbox, good enough for me anyway. Their HD streaming is really good (and regular too), I don't have a blue-ray player so I can't really compare. I heard awhile ago that they were testing netflix with a disc on the Wii, I guess it did well, but after seeing the streaming on my tv from the xbox and my HDMI cable I doubt that the wii could even compare in quality.

MyBoomStk
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
We already have a thread for this Boom. In fact, it is right below this one in the forum, LOL! I am going to merge these posts into it.

Ok so I am a moron.. :-B sorry

Borlaxx
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Ok so I am a moron.. :-B sorry
LOL! You are not a moron, I am just obsessive and know WAY too much about what is going on on this site L-)

iheartpain
01-13-2010, 01:58 PM
The Official Netflix Wii Page (http://www.netflix.com/NRDInfo/Wii)

Already reserved my disc. ;)

RedZeppelin
01-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't know if I'll ever use it, but I went ahead and reserved my disc too.

Trez
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Well that was easy. Thanks IHP!

Trez
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
D'oh! Just told my wife about this and she said "now we don't need a PS3". [-( :-w

Borlaxx
01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh shit!!!! Backfire! Start downplaying now!!!! Stress only 480p signal and limited variety!!! Abort, abort, abort!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trez
01-14-2010, 10:22 PM
]Lack of HD is “No Loss” for Wii Consumer
From The Wiire, I posted this (http://teammp.net/index.php/2010/01/nintendo-on-netflix-lack-of-hd-is-no-loss-for-wii-consumer/) on the Team MP blog.

Trez
03-25-2010, 04:22 PM
I got a e-mail from Netflix today. My disc is on it's way! :party:

gort
03-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Sweet! I can't wait to get mine. We stream a ton of movies and shows, and I am tired of having to hook the laptop up to the TV to do it.

Trez
03-26-2010, 12:39 PM
I got my disc.

After it loads for the first time it asks for an activation code you enter on your comp. It authenticated in less than a minute. My daughter watched Scooby Doo Zombie Island. After one small pause for buffering at the begining it ran no problem. Looks good! I'll check out something a little more visually impressive. I think WALL-E is instant. That would be a good one to test with. So far thumbs up. :-bd

Borlaxx
03-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I got my disc.

After it loads for the first time it asks for an activation code you enter on your comp. It authenticated in less than a minute. My daughter watched Scooby Doo Zombie Island. After one small pause for buffering at the begining it ran no problem. Looks good! I'll check out something a little more visually impressive. I think WALL-E is instant. That would be a good one to test with. So far thumbs up. :-bd
That is the way it works on the PS3 too. I think we have about 40+ movies and kids shows in our instant list now.

Trez
03-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I got my disc.

That is the way it works on the PS3 too. I think we have about 40+ movies and kids shows in our instant list now.
You guys are getting a firmware upgrade--if you haven't already--so you don't have to use the disc, right?

I should have added you have to have the streaming disc in the Wii. I was hoping it would add a channel. Oh well I have to get off my lazy ass to put in a DVD anyway.

Borlaxx
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
I got my disc.

You guys are getting a firmware upgrade--if you haven't already--so you don't have to use the disc, right?

I should have added you have to have the streaming disc in the Wii. I was hoping it would add a channel. Oh well I have to get off my lazy ass to put in a DVD anyway.
You are correct, but I am not sure when it is coming. The only reason the PS3 doesn't do it already is because Microsoft and Netflix entered into a contract where the 360 was the only system that could have the software installed on the console, so Netflix came up with the disc to get around the contract. Once that contract is up, which is sometime this year, PS3 will have the software installed as well. Not sure about the wii, but since it is a contract issue I am sure they will try to implement an update for the wii to have the software installed internally as well if that is possible.

Trez
03-26-2010, 01:43 PM
That all sounds familiar. It would be nice if we got a channel. Nintendo would probably have to do an update too, which has happened only a few times, so it's unlikely.

iheartpain
03-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I got my disc.

rock on! Mine hasn't come yet =((

DB4
04-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I am a couple week late in joining the party... Netflix streaming FTW! Frickin' Awesome... seems almost too good to be true. Yet it is true, which is amazing. I will say this though, it would be nice to not have to use the streaming disc but from a parents perspective it's not a bad thing. A lot of questionable movies that you may not want your kids to see, and if they don't have the disc they cannot watch them.

Psalm
04-09-2010, 07:41 AM
We got ours for the Wii now as well....Daughter loves it.

gort
04-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Finally got my disk tonight, and used it to watch a couple episodes of Lost. Works like a champ. I wondered how the picture quality would be, but it seems about the same as hooking up the laptop to the TV via an HDMI cable. Much more convenient than hooking up the laptop every time we want to watch.

Toxic Avenger72
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Got my disc yesterday. Works great! I agree with DB4. It would be nice to not use the streaming disc every time.

Trez
04-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I still haven't taken much advantage of mine. I did watch the original Clash of the Titans, that was fun! Other than that I've got a whole bunch of stuff on my instant queue that I'll either watch when the wife isn't around or burn to DVD to put on my phone to watch at my leisure. It's mostly Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff and some War movies too.

Maybe we should start a thread of good streaming titles? The Netflix browser is pretty bad online and even less ideal on the Wii.

iheartpain
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
still haven't gotten mine yet :(

gort
04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Other than that I've got a whole bunch of stuff on my instant queue that I'll either watch when the wife isn't around or burn to DVD to put on my phone to watch at my leisure. It's mostly Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff and some War movies too.

Funny, Trez, but my queue is the exact same thing. Sci-Fi and War movies to watch when my wife isn't around.

Borlaxx
04-15-2010, 08:18 AM
I highly recommend Cannibal the Musical. It is a really f'd up movie about a group of Mormons that get lost in the woods and have to eat each other, but is a musical comedy written and staring the creators of South Park. Almost as good as their other live action movie, Orgazmo. However, if you don't have a sense of humor about religious things then probably not for you.

Lumchan
04-15-2010, 10:07 AM
I highly recommend Cannibal the Musical. It is a really f'd up movie about a group of Mormons that get lost in the woods and have to eat each other, but is a musical comedy written and staring the creators of South Park. Almost as good as their other live action movie, Orgazmo. However, if you don't have a sense of humor about religious things then probably not for you.

The Donnor Party?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Borlaxx
04-15-2010, 10:56 AM

The Donnor Party?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party
It is a fictional account of a different group, but kind of the same story, with spontaneous song numbers. Made by Troma, the same company that did all the really messed up Toxic Avenger movies.

[yt:m48ksrx7]8GszhYsV3MM[/yt:m48ksrx7]

Lumchan
04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Ok that looks really...ummm...dumb! I do like South Park though so maybe? =))