PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

Raven
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
So as many of you may know, I am working on starting a business as a chef. And I was thinking of making a topic here for some good recipes to share. I will be posting some as soon as I can. I hope we can all share some good old family favorites or some that you have created for everyone to try.

iheartpain
01-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Great! I am a pretty serious foodie. :D In general, I don't use recipes though--I cook by feel, unless i'm making something that is very finicky. I'll post what I make though.

Here's one to start.

Best Pancakes Ever.

~3 C organic whole wheat flour
~1.5 C organic white flour
~3 T aluminum-free baking powder
~2.5-3 t baking soda
some fresh raw milk (about 3 cups, but I don't really know--just add 'till consistency is viscous, but runny.)
3 free-range, farm fresh eggs
1-1.5 t Mexican vanilla
1/4-1/2 t cinnamon
lightly crushed nuts - pecans/walnuts are best, almond slivers are ok (big chunks are yummiest)
or
chocolate chips

Makes great pancakes of any size, from 2" dunkers to my usual size--14" :D

Serve with a pat of Irish butter and Grade B maple syrup. Or jam. Or fresh yogurt. Or berries. Or freshly whipped bourbon vanilla cream.....

Man i'm hungry....let's see what's in my desk drawer-- :(

Please let me know if you like them!

*EDIT*

I forgot to say that I like to add the nuts to one side of the pancakes while they are cooking, and then flip them over onto a lightly buttered part of the griddle (we have a 18"x32" electric griddle that works like a champ). That way, the nuts caramelize a little ;)

Raven
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I can tell just by the ingredient list that those are going to be wonderful. I will add that to my friday grocery list. My wife is such a pancake lover.

Here is one for the upcoming super bowl. I got it from one of my all time favorite food network chef's Alton Brown. I did them last year and just didn't seem to have enough for the whole game. :( so this year I'll be doing A LOT more.

Buffalo Wings
(courtesy of Alton Brown)

About 3 lbs. whole chicken wings
3 ounces (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 small clove garlic, minced (pre minced garlic is just as good)
1/4 cup hot sauce (or bbq sauce)
Kosher salt (table salt is ok, but for the extra 50 cents or so, I'd go with the Kosher) :)

Place a 6 qt. saucepan, with a staemer basket and 1 inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.

Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Use kitchen shears or a knife to seperate wings at the joint. Place the wings in the steamer basket, cover, reduce heat to medium and steam 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay out the wings on a cooling rack set in half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the fridge to dry about 1 hour.

preheat the oven to 425*. Remove the paper towels on the pan and replace with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven, about 20 nminutes. Turn the wings over and cook 20 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is cooked thorugh and the skin is golden brown.

While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl with the garlic. Pour this along with the hot sauce an 1/2 teaspoon salt into a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken and stir to combine. Remove wings from the oven and dump into bowl and toss with the sauce

Raven
01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Lasagna

1 1/2 lbs. Ground Beef
8 oz. Lasagna Noodles
32 oz. Thick Spaghetti Sauce
2 Eggs
24 oz. Small Curd Cottage Cheese
4 C. Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 C. Water

Brown the Ground beef. Add Water, Sauce, Eggs and Cottage Cheese. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Layer:
Sauce, Noodle, 2 C. Cheese
Sauce, Noodle, 2 C. Cheese
Sauce, Noodle, Remaining Sauce
Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes and serve

DB4
01-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't call myself a chef but I came up with a little something something that my wife and my friends have enjoyed. Everyone knows about Fajitas... but I like to make Fujitas. Basically they are Fajitas with an asian twist.

Very simple. Simply add some form of Teriyaki Sauce to your sautee'd bell pepper and onion and/or as you are cooking the chicken. Spice it up with an asian inspired hot sauce if you'd like.

Serve with white rice or cilantro lime rice.

It is only a minor variation to your standard recipe but it completely changes the flavor profile of the fajitas. It's a nice way to mix it up.

Raven
01-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Never thought of doing asian with fajitas. I'll have to try that one time. Sounds like it would be nice. Thanks for the tip :)

If there are any things you want a recipe for, please let me know too. I have really expanded my recipe collection.

And here is a sugar lovers favorite:
Trifle

4 Oz. Pound cake broken into small pieces

6 oz. Raspberry Jello mix

1 Big can of peaches

1 8 oz package of Vanilla pudding

1 Banana

1 tub of whip cream

1 container of Strawberries

Put the Pound cake into bottom of a bowl. Make the Jello and pour over the pound cake. Put in fridge and let it set according to directions. When cool open and drain the peaches and pour over the jello. Make pudding and pour over top of peaces. Let set for about 30 min. Cut banana into slices and set on pudding and cover that with whip cream. Slice strawberries and place on top of whip cream. put in fridge for 20 min. to let everything chill.

Serve and enjoy

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy316/utahchef/DSCN0479-1.jpg

DayliteMag
11-06-2010, 07:58 PM
First of all, Props to Borlax for a most excellent (yes that's a Ridgemont High quote) job organizing the General Forums!

Saw this "recipe" on YouTube. Shout out to my Canadian Peeps - Poutine, Steamies & Maple Syrup!

[yt:341g7uxt]jQX2kC1jUB8[/yt:341g7uxt]

Retro
11-06-2010, 09:31 PM
First of all, Props to Borlax for a most excellent (yes that's a Ridgemont High quote) job organizing the General Forums!

Saw this "recipe" on YouTube. Shout out to my Canadian Peeps - Poutine, Steamies & Maple Syrup!

[yt:1ef7ha1l]jQX2kC1jUB8[/yt:1ef7ha1l]
My heart just jumped out and kicked me in the baguettes for watching that!

johnboy
11-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Ooooh, I ever even knew this thread existed. I'll have to add my yorkie pud recipe and maybe some others. I think the yorkie pud recipe has been lost in the 'what's for dinner' thread.

Major Stains
11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
This ones for you Retro.

Not so much a recipe, but a way of life...
...The Dude Abides

=T4NUKI=
11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
=)) =)) =))
This ones for you Retro.

...The Dude Abides

Retro
11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
This ones for you Retro.

...The Dude Abides
Perfect

iheartpain
11-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Ooooh, I ever even knew this thread existed. I'll have to add my yorkie pud recipe and maybe some others. I think the yorkie pud recipe has been lost in the 'what's for dinner' thread.

But definitely NOT forgotten =p~

johnboy
12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Yorkshire pud recipe.

125g plain flour
4 free range eggs
300 mls milk
pinch of salt

Sift the flour and pinch of salt into a large bowl, add the eggs and mix, then add the milk slowly while mixing. This is best done the day before then covered and left over night. If you are making it on the day add a little pinch of flour before you put in into the tray. Oh yeah, doesn't matter what tray you are using, the oil needs to be smoking hot as it starts to cook the puds as soon as the batter hits the oil. Cook on 220c for 20-25 mins then 190c for ten minutes.

Next up, Sticky Toffee Pudding.

johnboy
12-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Sticky toffee pudding with sticky toffee sauce.

Ingredients

For the pudding:
225g Medjool dates
200ml Boiling water
1tsp Vanilla extract
175g Self-raising flour, plaus extra for greasing
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 free range eggs
85g Unsalted butter
140g Demerera sugar
2tbsp Black treacle
1tbsp Golden syrup
100ml Milk

For the sauce:
175g Muscavado sugar
50g Unsalted butter
225ml Double cream
1tbsp Black treacle
1tbsp Golden syrup

Stone and chop the dates quite small, put them in a bowl with the boiling water and allow them to soak for about 30 minutes, then mash with a fork. Stir in the vanilla extract. Butter and flour 7 mini pudding tins or 1 cake tin. and place them on a baking sheet/tray. Heat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas mark 4.
While the dates are soaking make the puddings. Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda together, in a seperate bowl beat the eggs. In another bowl cream together the butter and sugar until slightly creamy then slowly add the eggs beating well after every addition. Once al the egg is added, then add the black treacle and golden syrup, using a large metal spoon fold in 1/3 of the flour and then half the milk. Fold in gently until all the flour and milk is used. Stir the soaked and mashed dates and vanilla into the batter. The mix may look slightly curdled at this point and will be like a soft think batter. Spoon it evenly into the tins or pour into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins for seperate puddings or for about an hour for one large single pudding. Just keep checking it if you're making one large pud. Once a knife comes out clean it's ready. If it looks a bit burnt on top you can cut this bit off.
Meanwhile, put the sugar and butter for the sauce into a medium saucepan with half the cream. Bring to the boil over a medium heat stirring constantly until all the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the treacle and syrup turn the heat up slightly and let it bubble away for 2-3 mins until it is a rich toffee colour stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. Take the pan off the heat and add the rest of the cream and stir it in.
Remove the pudding/s from the oven, leave for a few minutes then loosen and turn them out. You can serve with the sauce straight away or like I do pour the sauce over and leave to soak for a couple of days. If you have small individual puddings puor some sauce in the bottom of the tins and put the puddings back in then puor some over the bottom and hopefully down the sides. If you have a large single pudding I normally turn it out and put it back in the cake tin upside down (makes it easier to serve) then I pour the sauce over the bottom of the pudding and leave it for a day or two. When you're ready to serve re-heat pre-heat oven to 180c/fan 160c/ gas mark 4 and put the puddings in (covered) for 15-20 mins. Serve with cream/ice cream etc. I also make another batch of sauce while it's re-heating and pour over once it comes out of the oven.

bucksie
03-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Heres one:

CHICKEN COBBLER
A real winter warmer of creamy chicken with a crisp 'cobbler topping'.

Ingredients
For the filling:
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, chopped
4 boneless chicken thighs
75g mushrooms, sliced
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
2 sticks celery, sliced
450ml chicken stock
1 tablespoon freshly chopped tarragon (optional)
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoons cornflour, blended with a little cold water
For the Cobbler:
125g plain flour
50g butter
25g Cheddar cheese, grated
3 tablespoons milk, to bind

1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, gas mark 5.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion & chicken & cook until browned. Add the mushrooms, carrot & celery & cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the stock, add the tarragon (if using), parsley & seasoning & bring to the boil. Cover & simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Add the cornflour to the chicken & cook, stirring, until thickened. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
4. To make the cobbler: sift the flour into a bowl & rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
5. Stir in the cheese & add sufficient milk to bind. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface & cut out 12 small rounds. Arrange these around the edge of the dish.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until golden.

Serve with Roast Potatoes or Potato Wedges
:-bd

jkodrigues
06-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Some of you may know that I'm a student in culinary arts and I love cooking I will post a few Portuguese recipes for you guys to try out

johnboy
06-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Some of you may know that I'm a student in culinary arts and I love cooking I will post a few Portuguese recipes for you guys to try out

Cool beans.

LandShark
06-12-2011, 11:10 PM
portugese eat their beans cold?

jkodrigues
06-13-2011, 12:44 PM
only one type off beans but dont ask me the name because i dont know
portuguese eat alot of fish i love my meat :D
if there is anything in particular that you want to know about let me know like desserts or meat dishes or fish whatever

sniperella
08-21-2011, 11:05 AM
so I think I've checked this thread like fifty times this morning, waiting on recipes promised! Once they are posted, JK, I will make them and photograph them if they turn out right, and then post my pics in here! Can't wait for that cream of vegetable soup!!! ;)

jkodrigues
08-21-2011, 03:43 PM
so I think I've checked this thread like fifty times this morning, waiting on recipes promised! Once they are posted, JK, I will make them and photograph them if they turn out right, and then post my pics in here! Can't wait for that cream of vegetable soup!!! ;)
sorry just had a really busy day but i will post it tomorow not in the mood right now,now i need a drink :-l

johnboy
08-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Meg, I don't know how readily available brie is over in the States but I made a lovely brie and courgette (zuchinni) soup the other week and the wife makes a butternut squash and ginger soup. Will post both recipes if you want? It helps that my mam grows all sorts of fruit and veg in her garden. Hoping to be getting some duck eggs from her soon too, as well as the regular eggs we pick up when we're there. She's making good use of her retirement!

sniperella
08-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Meg, I don't know how readily available brie is over in the States but I made a lovely brie and courgette (zuchinni) soup the other week and the wife makes a butternut squash and ginger soup. Will post both recipes if you want? It helps that my mam grows all sorts of fruit and veg in her garden. Hoping to be getting some duck eggs from her soon too, as well as the regular eggs we pick up when we're there. She's making good use of her retirement!

I'd love both! My parents and grandparents grow vegetable gardens, and sent home a bag full of yellow squash and zucchini today! We had fried squash and fried okra with lunch, yum! I am trying to avoid those two items though as they are terrible for you! I am sure we can get brie, probably from the deli section in the grocery store, or from a specialty store. Would be worth it for something different and new, which I love to do!

@JK, I forgive you, we're all allowed a bad day every now and then. I will look forward to trying it out later this week! Thanks again for the other recipe that I can't pronounce, it was delicious even if I did mess it up a bit! ;)

NutsFathead
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
if there is anything in particular that you want to know about let me know like desserts or meat dishes or fish whatever
i will love to try some of the meat dishes recipes you have :D hate this thread its makin me hungry =))

sniperella
08-22-2011, 06:49 AM
i will love to try some of the meat dishes recipes you have :D hate this thread its makin me hungry =))

Not sure if you all like pork chops, but I have a great, very easy rub for pork chops that is heavenly! I am not a big pork fan, but this rub really makes a difference. Let me know and I'll post it later! ;)

NutsFathead
08-22-2011, 07:53 AM
yea post it am willin to give anything a go

sniperella
08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Apple Glazed Pork Chops

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops
2 tablespoons apple jelly (you can eat them without this, but it gives it a good sweet and sour taste)

1. combine the brown sugar and seasonings; rub over both sides of port chops. Cook on a grill until meat is done (160 degrees F)
2. heat jelly until warmed in a microwave; brush over pork chops

Obviously these are not metric, but I found you can convert easily using google, this is what I did when JK sent me a recipe! ;)
If any of you try this, let me know what you think, we love using this rub, and have also used it on chicken with very yummy results! The meat stays nice and juicy, and has a great flavor! ;)

NutsFathead
08-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Apple Glazed Pork Chops

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons apple jelly (you can eat them without this, but it gives it a good sweet and sour taste)

1. combine the brown sugar and seasonings; rub over both sides of port chops. Cook on a grill until meat is done (160 degrees F)

Obviously these are not metric, but I found you can convert easily using google, this is what I did when JK sent me a recipe! ;)
If any of you try this, let me know what you think, we love using this rub, and have also used it on chicken with very yummy results! The meat stays nice and juicy, and has a great flavor! ;)
il give that a try tomorrow if its nice might even try it on rabbit meat got plenty of that lol

Josie1987
08-23-2011, 01:51 AM
Sticky toffee pudding with sticky toffee sauce.

Ingredients

For the pudding:
225g Medjool dates
200ml Boiling water
1tsp Vanilla extract
175g Self-raising flour, plaus extra for greasing
1tsp Bicarbonate of soda
2 free range eggs
85g Unsalted butter
140g Demerera sugar
2tbsp Black treacle
1tbsp Golden syrup
100ml Milk

For the sauce:
175g Muscavado sugar
50g Unsalted butter
225ml Double cream
1tbsp Black treacle
1tbsp Golden syrup

Stone and chop the dates quite small, put them in a bowl with the boiling water and allow them to soak for about 30 minutes, then mash with a fork. Stir in the vanilla extract. Butter and flour 7 mini pudding tins or 1 cake tin. and place them on a baking sheet/tray. Heat the oven to 180c/fan 160c/gas mark 4.
While the dates are soaking make the puddings. Mix the flour and bicarbonate of soda together, in a seperate bowl beat the eggs. In another bowl cream together the butter and sugar until slightly creamy then slowly add the eggs beating well after every addition. Once al the egg is added, then add the black treacle and golden syrup, using a large metal spoon fold in 1/3 of the flour and then half the milk. Fold in gently until all the flour and milk is used. Stir the soaked and mashed dates and vanilla into the batter. The mix may look slightly curdled at this point and will be like a soft think batter. Spoon it evenly into the tins or pour into the cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins for seperate puddings or for about an hour for one large single pudding. Just keep checking it if you're making one large pud. Once a knife comes out clean it's ready. If it looks a bit burnt on top you can cut this bit off.
Meanwhile, put the sugar and butter for the sauce into a medium saucepan with half the cream. Bring to the boil over a medium heat stirring constantly until all the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the treacle and syrup turn the heat up slightly and let it bubble away for 2-3 mins until it is a rich toffee colour stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn. Take the pan off the heat and add the rest of the cream and stir it in.
Remove the pudding/s from the oven, leave for a few minutes then loosen and turn them out. You can serve with the sauce straight away or like I do pour the sauce over and leave to soak for a couple of days. If you have small individual puddings puor some sauce in the bottom of the tins and put the puddings back in then puor some over the bottom and hopefully down the sides. If you have a large single pudding I normally turn it out and put it back in the cake tin upside down (makes it easier to serve) then I pour the sauce over the bottom of the pudding and leave it for a day or two. When you're ready to serve re-heat pre-heat oven to 180c/fan 160c/ gas mark 4 and put the puddings in (covered) for 15-20 mins. Serve with cream/ice cream etc. I also make another batch of sauce while it's re-heating and pour over once it comes out of the oven.
mmm.. will have to get dan (Nuts) to make this for me

johnboy
08-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Josie, I recommend that he makes it a day or two beforehand and let the sauce soak into the pudding. It becomes really really sticky!

jkodrigues
08-23-2011, 02:43 PM

I'd love both! My parents and grandparents grow vegetable gardens, and sent home a bag full of yellow squash and zucchini today! We had fried squash and fried okra with lunch, yum! I am trying to avoid those two items though as they are terrible for you! I am sure we can get brie, probably from the deli section in the grocery store, or from a specialty store. Would be worth it for something different and new, which I love to do!

@JK, I forgive you, we're all allowed a bad day every now and then. I will look forward to trying it out later this week! Thanks again for the other recipe that I can't pronounce, it was delicious even if I did mess it up a bit! ;)
sorry meg i have been soo tired from the work on the house that when i get home i can hardly move,but i only have 2 rooms to go :D

jkodrigues
08-25-2011, 03:04 PM
ok here is the recipe for the chourizo bread and the vegetable soup
for the bread
50 g of chourizo
1/4 of a medium onion
500 g flour
25 g butter
1. 1/4 tea spoon of salt
1. 1/2 tea spoon of dry yeast
300 ml of water

sieve the flour and salt in to a bowl, brake the butter into cupes and the rub on top the flour
stir in the dry yeast
make a well in the center of the flour and add the water(the water has to be warm for the yeast to reack faster but not too hot)add the water bit by bit mixing well
when you added all the water spread some flour on the surface you are going to work and need the dough for a few minutes,make sure to always add flour if the dough is to stiky
wash the bowl and return the dough into it,cover with a wet cloth and rest in a warm place(temerature should be around 25 degres c) for 30 minutes,this will alow the yeast to react and it should grow a good bit
now you are going to dice the onion and the chourizo
place the dough back on the working surface(dont for get to always put some flour ) and ned it some more but this time spread a bit of chourizo and onion on the table roll the dough over it and make sure both ingredients get inside the dough ,do this for all the chourizo and onion
grease and flour a lofe tin and place the dough in it and cover with a wet cloth
return the dough to the warm place for half hour
check it to see if it doubled in size (it should have by then but you can leave it for 15 minutes more if you want
bake it in the oven at 230 degrees c for 30-35 minutes)
to make sure it is cooked use a scure stik it in and if it comes out clean it means it is cooked
place it in a wire rack for a few minutes until cool
for the soup (simple veg soup)
2 carotts
1/2 celery stok
1/2 leek stok
1/2 medium onion
4 medium potatoes
1 boquet garni(misxed herbs you can find it in the supermarket)
salt and pepper to taste
chicken stok cube
1litre of water
melt a nob of butter in a sauce pan then add all the veg (roughly cut)excep the potatoes,sweat then for a few minutes with the lid on
add a bit of salt and pepper ,water and the sotoke cube and bring to the boil
add the bouquet garni and the potatoes (roughly cut)and simmer for 40 minutes
remove the bouquet garni liquidise and check the consistency and the seasoning
reheat and serve with the bread
i normaly add one teapoon of olive oil and add some rice and simmer the soup until the rice is cooked, but you guys might not like that ,if you want to try it just a hand full of rice should do it
hope you guys enjoy it ,let me know if you like some more recipes the bread is a portuguese recipe but the soup is french

NutsFathead
09-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Apple Glazed Pork Chops

2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper

well i tired your recipe tonight and it was lovely. :-bd i will be keeping this recipe

sniperella
09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Glad you liked it Nuts, it is super easy and makes for some yummy pork chops and works great with chicken too!

@JK, you HAVE to post your fried rice recipe here! That was the most delicious fried rice I've ever had!
;)

johnboy
09-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Meg, I think I still owe you a couple of soup recipes.

sniperella
09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Meg, I think I still owe you a couple of soup recipes.
Still waiting, JB! ;) :-w ;)

oreon87
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
teriyaki chicken

1 cup water, soy sauce, and sugar.
1tablespoon onion powder
1tsp ginger

mix in bowl and double recipe if you want more chicken or not. Just taste the marinate and if its to sweet add more water or if its not sour enough add more soy sauce, just add more whatever till it tastes just like teriyaki.

marinate the chicken for atleast an hour or two but i usually do it for 5-6 hours.

then toss it on the grill and brush the sauce over the chicken to make it uber juicey.

jkodrigues
10-01-2011, 05:43 AM
teriyaki chicken

1 cup water, soy sauce, and sugar.
1tablespoon onion powder
1tsp ginger

mix in bowl and double recipe if you want more chicken or not. Just taste the marinate and if its to sweet add more water or if its not sour enough add more soy sauce, just add more whatever till it tastes just like teriyaki.

marinate the chicken for atleast an hour or two but i usually do it for 5-6 hours.

then toss it on the grill and brush the sauce over the chicken to make it uber juicey.
i will have to try this one ,never tryed chicken teriyaki

johnboy
10-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Brie and courgette (zuchinni) soup.

INGREDIENTS

450g courgettes (zuchinni)
350g peeled potatoes
1 onion, finely chopped
1.2 litres veg stock
225g Brie, remove rind, and then cut into pieces
salt
freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

1. Put all the ingredients except the Brie into a large pan. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15mins until the vegetables are tender.

2. Stir in the cheese until melted. Cool a little, then puree in a liquidiser/blender. Taste for seasoning.

SPICY BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND GINGER SOUP.

Ingredients

1 butternut squash chopped
1 Onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 inch piece of ginger grated
1/2 tsp garam masala, paprika, ground corriander and ground cumin
2 cardamom pods (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method

Add all the ingredients to a pan with 1 3/4 pints water bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool, remove cardamom pods and add to food processor/blender and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Major Stains
10-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Cheers JB. I will try these while the veg is still a few days out of the ground.
Winter soups.... :(( come back summer, all is forgiven.

johnboy
11-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I will post my recipe for cottage pie at some point soon. I don't think I've posted it yet but I will have a look first. The difference between cottage pie and shepherds pie is simply in the name. A shepherd looks after sheep, therefore you use lamb, also cottage pie was the original recipe using beef. Food historians have found recipes for cottage pie written about 100 years before those for shepherds pie.

Raider
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I will post my recipe for cottage pie at some point soon. I don't think I've posted it yet but I will have a look first. The difference between cottage pie and shepherds pie is simply in the name. A shepherd looks after sheep, therefore you use lamb, also cottage pie was the original recipe using beef. Food historians have found recipes for cottage pie written about 100 years before those for shepherds pie.

And if you don't know, now you know! Thanks Chuck D

Major Stains
06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
I thought it is time to share this gem...
It's a bit complex, but the foodies amongst you should work it out.
It's a recipe that I got off Aussie pop hottie, Natalie Imbruglia.

Ingredients

X1 tea bag
X1 mug of boiled water
X1 splash of milk (to suit taste)
Sugar (if required)
X1 box of Cadbury's Finger (Walmart should sell these British Chocolate biscuits)

Method

Pour boiled water over tea bag in mug.
Let it stew for several minutes.
Remove tea bag and add milk and sugar if desired.
Stir thoroughly.

Take box of Cadbury's Fingers and open packaging
Remove chocolate finger.
Carefully bite each end off the chocolate finger whilst leaving a good size chocolate 'straw'.
(here's the tricky part)
Take chocolate 'straw' and drink the tea through it.
Quickly eat the tea filled chocolate straw before it dissolves into a mushy goo in your fingers.
Repeat process until tea level is too low to drink through chocolate 'straws'.
Finish remaining tea using the traditional sipping method.
Remember pinky finger on drinking hand should be raised at all times during this final stage.

You should now feel suitably sick. Lie back and enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling of guilt pour over you...

...Enjoy :cheers:

sniperella
09-16-2012, 10:03 AM
I am hoping someone can direct me on how to cook a deer roast so that it won't taste gamey. I have acquired two roasts through a trade with the neighbors. They hunt a lot and have offered to keep us stocked on deer meet in exchange for deals that I find at the grocery store. I really want to learn to use the meat, but want it to taste good too. Any pointers/recipes would be much appreciated. If you don't want to type them up here, you can message them to me!

LandShark
09-16-2012, 10:33 AM
I am hoping someone can direct me on how to cook a deer roast so that it won't taste gamey. I have acquired two roasts through a trade with the neighbors. They hunt a lot and have offered to keep us stocked on deer meet in exchange for deals that I find at the grocery store. I really want to learn to use the meat, but want it to taste good too. Any pointers/recipes would be much appreciated. If you don't want to type them up here, you can message them to me!

If you dont like the gamey taste of venison there are two ways to tone down that taste. First thing is trim as much of the fat/gristle from the meat and debone it. Most of the gamey taste is from the blood and fat so taking out the fat and the marrow helps. to get as much of the blood out of the meat, soak the meat in water, beer or milk for at least 24 hours draining and adding more liquids every three or for hours. the longer you let it soak and drain the more blood you will get out. when soaking, keep in fridge so not to spoil. hope this helps.

Raider
11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Here is an awesome recipe my wife is making today, bacon, cheddar and caramalized onion stuffed deviled eggs. http://www.theendlessmeal.com/bacon-deviled-eggs-with-caramelized-onions-and-cheddar-cheese/

HardlyCapable13
01-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Thought we'd get a bit crazy and try some mac & cheese stuffed meatloaf. Since this was just an experiment, we used boxed mac and cheese and a basic meatloaf recipe.

The prepared mac and cheese in log form in plastic wrap. Going in the freezer for a couple hours.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/B353183E-BCF7-4F8D-8581-6DEEB2649409-16224-00000C7229557FEF.jpg

Meatloaf mixed and spread out on plastic wrap. Frozen mac and cheese log on, ready to be wrapped and formed. Found the plastic wrap helps with this process.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/B4D6E1F0-775E-49EE-9FE9-4B19E7265A00-16224-00000C722CD9BA9D.jpg

Finished product. Horrible pic, and I overdid it on the bbq as you can see pooled and cooked around it.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/867E2C69-2A28-4EBC-983D-60C10783AF55-16224-00000C723312573F.jpg

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/8176C498-99FB-4BD4-93B1-7BCE1F5BF24F-16224-00000C72300F459A.jpg

Overall, it ruled. What else would you expect from meatloaf stuffed with mac and cheese. Next time I'm going to cook my famous oven baked mac and cheese, stuffed in my amazing meatloaf, and cook it in the smoker. Bam!