PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Pages : [1] 2

Trez
02-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Since we obviously have food fans and great cooks here, post what you made or ate for a recent meal.

Tonight we made Indian Saag with homemade Naan. Delicious.

Raven
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
mmm...love food topics :D

here's an odd dessert I've made recently

Tomato soup cake. Tastes like a carrot cake. pretty weird thing, but still pretty good

=REB=
02-12-2010, 11:28 PM
wing street, bone in crispy medium barbecue. wine.

Borlaxx
02-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Ugh! My wife and I had sushi yesterday for lunch and we ate the leftovers for dinner. I don't know if it is the fact that I have been eating better and my system can't take it or if I have food poisoning, but either day I will not be eating there again after spending several rounds already this morning playing Call of Doodie.

iheartpain
02-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Since we obviously have food fans and great cooks here, post what you made or ate for a recent meal.

Tonight we made Indian Saag with homemade Naan. Delicious.

You made your own Naan? Awesome! just baked, I assume....unless you have a tandoori? :)

I have a yogurt culture from India that I got from a coworker who grew up there, reputed to be over a thousand years old, and is very tasty.

We made buffalo burgers with aoli and fried portobello wedges =p~

DB4
02-13-2010, 02:42 PM
beef.

Trez
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
You made your own Naan? Awesome! just baked, I assume....unless you have a tandoori? :)
Yep, made from scratch. We didn't have any garlic, so I used cilantro instead. :D Then I grilled it on the Foreman.

StrawHousePig
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Hamburger Helper. Cheeseburger flavor. Yummy.

Trez
02-13-2010, 04:01 PM
We're having beef brisket tonight. It's been cooking in the crock pot all day. The house smells glorious. :))

iheartpain
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
We're having beef brisket tonight. It's been cooking in the crock pot all day. The house smells glorious. :))

Nice!

We had slow-cooked white chili, and I'm baking a yellow cake with dark chocolate almond ganache and strawberry filling for V-day :D

Otter--gotta love the cheddar hamburger helper--haven't had it in over 10 years though :)

KingBD
02-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Oh man food... I cook 95% of the meals at home and have been cooking alot like I been playing MWR lately really bad, we spent all day today out so for dinner we just had Subs MMMMM subs.

Trez
02-14-2010, 08:44 PM
We had fondue at home tonight with veggies, garlic lime chicken, BBQ steak and shrimp with spicy cocktail sauce. Yum!

KingBD
02-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Julie cooked the past couple of nights, Tonight she cooked a nice sized chicken, and with that we had Mashed potatoes and gravy , stuffing and Corn I think. man it was really good

02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
tore up some ribeyes and baked potatoes tonight. :D

KingBD
02-17-2010, 03:28 PM
wow I just realized that their was a big reply box lol

Well last night for shrove tuesday (pancake day) we had of course Pancakes :D MmmmmmMmmm breakfast for Dinner is always one of my favorites, It really reminds me of going out to eat after the bars closed when I was in my 20's

02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
its salad night at the Lesher house. i think we all need some ruffiage.

iheartpain
02-17-2010, 04:05 PM
last night I cooked tortellini with sauteed garlic and peas, fresh salad greens, and freshly baked bread.

Trez
02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
LOL! L-) We had Applebee's. :sick:

iheartpain
02-17-2010, 04:47 PM

lol..."I'd like one order of Massive Indigestion, please! Oh, and can you throw in a rectal mudslide for dessert?"
:))

Haven't eaten there in years. If we HAVE to eat out at a place like that, I'll pick Dirty Bird (Red Robin) over it any day.

Trez
02-17-2010, 04:55 PM

lol..."I'd like one order of Massive Indigestion, please! Oh, and can you throw in a rectal mudslide for dessert?"
:))

Haven't eaten there in years. If we HAVE to eat out at a place like that, I'll pick Dirty Bird (Red Robin) over it any day.

Oh yeah! I'd much prefer Red Robin, but it's 15 minutes away. :( We make a special trip every so often and it's always great!

Devldawg0311
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, lol, well the irony is that I am a Chef, cooking for the last 25 years, the last 15 as a professional Chef, so needless to say, I eat crap food, the less time it takes to make it the better! Tonight will be either wings and beer, with cheese fries of course, or a Philly cheese steak with fries of course, carryout non the less, I really only cook for my kids so that i know they will grow up with a balanced sense of nutrition and (culture) and that they get the proper nutrients they need, as for me, yep, crap food.

Semper Fi

Devldawg0311 AKA-Jay, or as my wife calls me ------Asshole.

Trez
02-17-2010, 06:50 PM
lol DevilDawg! When I first started reading your post I thought you were going to say, "Hmmm, lol, well the irony is that I am a Chef...at Applebee's". :)) #:-s

No offense to anyone affiliated with Applebee's. My experiences always end up underwhelming there.

Lumchan
02-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I had leftover crock-pot chicken and veggies. It was just as good as last night.

KingBD
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
I cooked an awesome meal last night... Grilled cheese sandwiches :D MMMMMMMM grilled cheese.... MMMMM real butter!

Psalm
02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
had Grilled chicken and edamame last night...pretty good

Trez
02-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Having Steak 'n Shake with my girls.

KingBD
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM
We had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. MMMMMM greasy food!

Raven
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Had awesome Chicken Wellingtons with Fresh Asparagus risotto sunday....mmmmmmmmmmm.....Spent the whole day in the blasted kitchen making the puff pastry from scratch #:-s

Tonight is good ol' pot roast mmmmmmmmmm

iheartpain
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Had awesome Chicken Wellingtons with Fresh Asparagus risotto sunday....mmmmmmmmmmm.....Spent the whole day in the blasted kitchen making the puff pastry from scratch #:-s

Tonight is good ol' pot roast mmmmmmmmmm

That (layer after layer after layer ...after layer of puff pastry) is awesome--I usually skip the baking part of things, as my wife works wonders with our oven.

We had scratch herbed 5-cheese mac & cheese last night, by kids' request.

KingBD
03-02-2010, 11:47 PM
oh man I love homemade mac and cheese :D

03-07-2010, 02:41 PM
pork roast in the slow cooker with red potatoes and baby carrots. corn on the cob and scratch made rolls. =p~

Trez
03-08-2010, 11:54 AM
We had spring-like weather last night so we had some friends over and cooked out. We had pork chops, BBQ chicken, Vietnamese "Bo's" burgers (my contibutuion ;) ), salad, potato salad, beans and deviled eggs.

03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
the wife took an hour last night and made a gallon of homemade barbeque sauce, so its baby back ribs, baked potatoes and roasted corn tonight =p~ =p~ =p~ and paula deen recipe for 6 layer white cake with chocolate icing.

johnboy
03-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Right, when i'm feeling better and can be bothered to cook i'm going to start using this thread. I also wonder if theres anyone who may want to swap recipes. Just if theres something that people like the sound of?

gort
03-29-2010, 11:04 AM
We tried something completely new for dinner last night - stinging nettles. Saw them at the farmers market, and decided to try them on a whim. You cook them like greens, and the heat neutralizes the toxin that makes them sting. We sauteed them with garlic and olive oil, and they were really tasty, not bitter like some greens are, and kind of nutty tasting.

Anyone ever tried them? I had no idea you could even eat nettles. You've go to handle the leaves with gloves or tongs to avoid getting stung before you cook them, so I was a little nervous about that first bite.

Lumchan
03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Wow I didn't even know you could eat them. I ran into them once while in Seattle as an 8-year-old kid. Eating them might be a good payback. :)) Don't think I would dare though because I remember the rash and pain. What did they taste like?

gort
03-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I used to run around the woods quite a bit as a boy, so I had many run ins with nettles. Gave me pause to eat them. That and the fact that I was eating something I would otherwise treat as yard waste.

They were mild in flavor, and kind of crisp, even when wilted. Tasted sort of nutty. A lot better tasting than kale.

iheartpain
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I used to run around the woods quite a bit as a boy, so I had many run ins with nettles. Gave me pause to eat them. That and the fact that I was eating something I would otherwise treat as yard waste.

They were mild in flavor, and kind of crisp, even when wilted. Tasted sort of nutty. A lot better tasting than kale.

I love nettles! They are really tasty - that first bite was gut-check time for me too! #:-s :)

There are so many wild things to eat out here in the PacNW...morels anyone? =p~

gort
03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Just a tip... anyone that likes mashed potatoes like i do.. to make them healthier, use half the potatoes you normally would boil and replace with cauliflower, steam the cauliflower for 20 minutes then mash them and mix in with your potatoes.
Just thought i would share

That's a great idea. My wife and I make mashed cauliflower with a little butter sometimes, and my four year old just gobbles it up.

gort
03-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Next I think we might try fiddleheads (baby fern tips). I've seen people out gathering them in the spring, but have never had the courage to try them myself.

iheartpain
03-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Next I think we might try fiddleheads (baby fern tips). I've seen people out gathering them in the spring, but have never had the courage to try them myself.

I have wanted to try those, too. Have you had baby dandelion greens? mmMMMmmm :)

StrawHousePig
03-29-2010, 04:12 PM
[yt:j5a1b0ha]uhUlP4wiAQo[/yt:j5a1b0ha]

CB-40
03-29-2010, 10:34 PM
:)) :)) :)) !

johnboy
03-30-2010, 02:45 AM
We tried something completely new for dinner last night - stinging nettles. Saw them at the farmers market, and decided to try them on a whim. You cook them like greens, and the heat neutralizes the toxin that makes them sting. We sauteed them with garlic and olive oil, and they were really tasty, not bitter like some greens are, and kind of nutty tasting.

Anyone ever tried them? I had no idea you could even eat nettles. You've go to handle the leaves with gloves or tongs to avoid getting stung before you cook them, so I was a little nervous about that first bite.

I've never had nettles just cooked but many years ago I went on a cheese tasting and had nettle cheese. Can't remember how it tasted though. Anyone else had anything else random to eat?

iheartpain
03-30-2010, 10:45 AM
I had freshly pressed white truffle oil, fresh raw chevre, and freshly baked bread the other week at a "meet the farmers" event. Simply heavenly!

**EDIT**

probably one of the weirdest things I have eaten is traditional seafood soup when I went back to Taiwan. Mostly was sea urchin gonads and sea cucumbers.... the taste was ok, but the texture..... :sick:

johnboy
03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I had freshly pressed white truffle oil, fresh raw chevre, and freshly baked bread the other week at a "meet the farmers" event. Simply heavenly!

**EDIT**

probably one of the weirdest things I have eaten is traditional seafood soup when I went back to Taiwan. Mostly was sea urchin gonads and sea cucumbers.... the taste was ok, but the texture..... :sick:

Mmmmmm gonads. :sick:

Trez
03-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll never forget the time in elementary when the teacher taught us about gonads. One of my classmates came up with my awesome new nickname, "Gonad Brad". :|

Borlaxx
03-30-2010, 11:46 AM
My sadistic bastard of a father got a round of Rocky Mountain Oysters while we were in Colorado and didn't tell us what they were until after we tried them. What is that you say? There are no oysters in the Rocky Mountains? You are correct :sick: :sick: :sick:

iheartpain
03-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll never forget the time in elementary when the teacher taught us about gonads. One of my classmates came up with my awesome new nickname, "Gonad Brad". :|

:)) ...Imean... :( ;)

johnboy
04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Tonight I made toad in the hole with mustard mash and red wine and onion gravy. I am now very full!

iheartpain
04-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Tonight I made toad in the hole with mustard mash and red wine and onion gravy. I am now very full!

What's toad in the hole? I'm assuming it's not really a toad, even though frog legs are very tasty =p~

johnboy
04-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Toad in the hole has nothing to do with toads :sick: Its batter and sausages baked in the oven. So you end up with a huge Yorkshire pudding with sausages in it. Hopefully you will have heard of Yorkshire pudding?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Toad_in_the_hole.jpg

Not mine but it looks similar. I'll take and post a pic next time I make one.

gort
04-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Looks tasty, Johnboy.

What we used to call a Toad in the Hole in my family was a fried egg, covered with a piece of grilled bread with a hole cut out in the middle, so the yolk peeks out through the hole. My daughter loves it when I make them for breakfast.

iheartpain
04-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Toad in the hole has nothing to do with toads :sick: Its batter and sausages baked in the oven. So you end up with a huge Yorkshire pudding with sausages in it. Hopefully you will have heard of Yorkshire pudding?

...picture here...

Not mine but it looks similar. I'll take and post a pic next time I make one.

Oh yes, I love Yorkshire pudding, and that looks VERY tasty. Did you have a gravy for it? =p~

Looks tasty, Johnboy.

What we used to call a Toad in the Hole in my family was a fried egg, covered with a piece of grilled bread with a hole cut out in the middle, so the yolk peeks out through the hole. My daughter loves it when I make them for breakfast.

I do that for my kids too, except we cut the hole first with a biscuit cutter, and fry the egg in the center of the bread, grilling the toast at the same time. We don't have a name for it though--except gooooood :D

johnboy
04-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I did a red wine and onion gravy and also mustard mashed potato.

iheartpain
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I did a red wine and onion gravy and also mustard mashed potato.

Nice! We'll have to try that recipe.

PsychoFr33k
04-14-2010, 10:57 AM
frozen pizza.. lame i know

iheartpain
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Last night I made green bean and bison sausage soup, with herbed-3-cheese biscuits and fresh Irish butter. OOOhhhhh yeahhhh :D

Lumchan
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
That sounds really delicious IHP and Johnboy! We had leftover spaghetti with garlic toast last night.

supercj1971
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
homemade chicken curry yum

johnboy
04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
frozen pizza.. lame i know

Nothing wrong with a frozen pizza from time to time, especially with some oven chips also from the freezer.

TrojanTeacher
04-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I am currently eating...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/08-06/0802brlluncrustpbj.jpg

Mmmmmmm....

Trez
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
We're having breakfast for dinner tonight, eggs, biscuits and gravy, veggie sausage patties and turkey bacon. It's a family favorite!

Psalm
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM
We're having breakfast for dinner tonight, eggs, biscuits and gravy, veggie sausage patties and turkey bacon. It's a family favorite!
What kind of veggie patties? My daughter and wife are vegetarians...I make a mean homeade Veggie patties, from black beans (not vegan though) I could get you the recipe. They eat Morningstar when we are lazy.

Me...I like bacon

iheartpain
04-14-2010, 04:40 PM
What kind of veggie patties? My daughter and wife are vegetarians...I make a mean homeade Veggie patties, from black beans (not vegan though) I could get you the recipe. They eat Morningstar when we are lazy.

Me...I like bacon

We make veggie patties as well, mainly with zucchini + mushrooms. I love summer!!

I love breakfast for dinner - I think it's my favorite meal. My son (who turns 5 today) requested my awesome pork fried rice with a runny fried egg on top - think I'll add some Nori tonight as well. *stomach growls* why do I read this in the afternoon? :-\ :D

Trez
04-14-2010, 04:50 PM
We're lazy--MorningStar. Just finished, I'm stuffed!

Happy Birthday to the kiddo IHP!

Major Stains
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
King Prawn Biryani for me tonight, mmmmm.

Like the look of the "uncrustables", was that the title of a Kevin Costner movie?

Happy 5th b'day IHPjnr. My eldest is 5 3/4, I love the world from their eyes at that age.

CB-40
04-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Hitting the bbq full on tonight celebrating my wife's bday :party: . Going with garlic-pepper shrimp and teriyaki steak & chicken kabobs =p~ . Add a Italian pasta salad, sweet Hawaiian rolls and jello for the kiddies finishing up with either bday cake or cheesecake with a fresh blueberry compote on top :D ! Woo hoo!

Trez
04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Damn CB, nice!

I'm thinking Arby's! :-? :cheers:

Major Stains
04-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Hitting the bbq full on tonight celebrating my wife's bday :party: . Going with garlic-pepper shrimp and teriyaki steak & chicken kabobs =p~ . Add a Italian pasta salad, sweet Hawaiian rolls and jello for the kiddies finishing up with either bday cake or cheesecake with a fresh blueberry compote on top :D ! Woo hoo!

That sounds great. I was drooling from the word 'garlic', good times!

iheartpain
04-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Nice job! :applause: no birthday can be bad with that on the menu :)

We had spicy braised pork ribs (giant ones, only 6 in 2 lb, from my in-law's pigs :-o ) with grilled asparagus, baked beans, and nice tangy coleslaw.

I braised those ribs for 3 hours with a bottle of brown ale I brewed =p~ . I braised them for 3 hours, and then hickory smoked them on the grill for an hour, and then served them with the jus mad from the drippings + another pint of brown ale.... geez, getting hungry all over again :D Good thing I have leftovers in the fridge! :cheers:

CB-40
04-18-2010, 10:42 PM
We had spicy braised pork ribs (giant ones, only 6 in 2 lb, from my in-law's pigs :-o ) with grilled asparagus, baked beans, and nice tangy coleslaw.

Dang, I want that too!!!! Love me some ribs =p~ ...

Lumchan
04-19-2010, 12:25 AM
Happy Birthday to your wife CB! And yes that dinner sounds so yummy. As well as IHPs pork ribs. Too bad we can't transport food through the internet. =p~

pyrenus2
04-20-2010, 04:25 PM
We are grill and BBQ junkies. :D

Sunday I made 3 racks of babyback ribs on the slow smoker. Used a sweet rub and finished with our homemade strawberry BBQ sauce.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd165/Pyrenus/BBQ/DSCF0592.jpg

Tonight we are grilling burgers on the grill, using a more traditional homemade BBQ sauce.

CB-40
04-20-2010, 06:13 PM
We are grill and BBQ junkies. :D

Sunday I made 3 racks of babyback ribs on the slow smoker. Used a sweet rub and finished with our homemade strawberry BBQ sauce.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd165/Pyrenus/BBQ/DSCF0592.jpg

Tonight we are grilling burgers on the grill, using a more traditional homemade BBQ sauce.
Inspiring... =p~ !

Lumchan
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow that looks scrumptious! =p~

TrojanTeacher
04-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Eating some Double-Doubles from In-N-Out. Yum!

Sckrapps
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Aww, you lucky SOB. I'd love a double-double animal style right about now. Can't get burgers that good out here.

Borlaxx
04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
My best friend Paul and his wife Traci, who is my wife's best friend, came over last night for celebratory dinner because they just found out they are expecting their first child :party:

I made 1/3 pound cheeseburgers made with lean ground beef, char-grill seasoning, fresh chopped garlic, worcestershire sauce, and bread crumbs to hold them together, topped with Boar's Head cheddar cheese. They were absolutely delicious, and even well-done (the way they like them) they were still so juicy we all had to use a lot of napkins. Put them on fresh kaiser rolls from the Publix Bakery. For sides we had homemade macaroni salad and a fresh Caesar salad. For desert we had angel food cake topped with sugar glazed strawberries and blueberries with a scoop of Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. =p~

Sckrapps
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Mmm, that sounds awesome. That is a good idea with the bread crumbs to hold the patties together, I'll have to remember that. I always hate it when my burgers fall apart.

I'm going to do a little preemptive bragging here. My sister-in-law has come to visit in order to help out with the baby, and we are having a nice dinner tonight before she heads for home tomorrow. I got a big tuna steak and am going to marinate it in soy sauce, a little wasabi paste, and some fresh ginger and then grill it up. So simple, and so delicious. I'll throw some fresh asparagus on too, which is amazing when grilled with some olive oil and lemon juice.

Borlaxx
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Mmm, that sounds awesome. That is a good idea with the bread crumbs to hold the patties together, I'll have to remember that. I always hate it when my burgers fall apart
Yup, something my father in law taught me. Especially good to do if you use lean or extra lean beef since they don't have the fat to hold them together. The bread crumbs really don't add any flavor, but they don't take any away either, and I would rather have a flavorful burger with lean meat where you can taste the beef and the seasonings rather than just the grease :sick:

Jackie R
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
The bread crumbs really don't add any flavor, but they don't take any away either, and I would rather have a flavorful burger with lean meat where you can taste the beef and the seasonings rather than just the grease :sick:
Amen to that.

The burgers sound great. How much garlic do you use?

Borlaxx
04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
The bread crumbs really don't add any flavor, but they don't take any away either, and I would rather have a flavorful burger with lean meat where you can taste the beef and the seasonings rather than just the grease :sick:
Amen to that.

Not a ton because the seasoning mix I use already has some in it. I added about two heaping teaspoons worth to 2 1/2 pounds of beef. Can't tell you the exact amount of anything as I usually just wing it. If the mixed up meat smells right, then I am done. If not, I add until it does.

Jackie R
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Amen to that.

Not a ton because the seasoning mix I use already has some in it. I added about two heaping teaspoons worth to 2 1/2 pounds of beef. Can't tell you the exact amount of anything as I usually just wing it. If the mixed up meat smells right, then I am done. If not, I add until it does.
Thanks. ;)

DayliteMag
04-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Mmm, that sounds awesome. That is a good idea with the bread crumbs to hold the patties together, I'll have to remember that. I always hate it when my burgers fall apart
Yup, something my father in law taught me. Especially good to do if you use lean or extra lean beef since they don't have the fat to hold them together. The bread crumbs really don't add any flavor, but they don't take any away either, and I would rather have a flavorful burger with lean meat where you can taste the beef and the seasonings rather than just the grease :sick:

Adding an egg and a bit of cream also helps keep things together. I do a similar recipe only I also add bacon and cheese to the mix. Cook up a bunch of bacon until slightly crisp and let cool. Crumble/chop the bacon and add to the ground beef. Take some old cheddar (I prefer a white cheddar that is approx 2 yrs old) and cut into very small cubes (approx 1/2 CM X 1/2 CM) and mix this into the meat. The amount of bacon and cheese varies and doesn't need to be exact. Form your patties and let rest in the refridgerator for an hour or longer. Cook on a Charcoal grill (I love my Weber Kettle). You will need to start out over direct high heat to seal the burgers and then move them off to indirect cooking, cover the grill and let them go for approx 15 minutes. This will produce a very juicy, but thoroughly cooked burger. Don't add any salt to the meat mixture as the bacon will do that for you. The cheese will create little molten pockets of yummy and the bacon adds a smokiness that can't be beaten. NOTE: if you try this recipe anticipate MAJOR flare-ups during the intial, direct cooking phase. As the cheese melts some of it will ooze out and cause the flaring. You don't have to leave them directly over the coals for very long. With the flare-ups the outside of the burgers will quickly develop a nice bark and then you move them off the direct heat to finish them off.

Sckrapps
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Think I learned an important lesson when using those breadcrumbs when making burgers - go light on 'em. We made burgers the other night and I tried the breadcrumbs trick to hold the meat together (I think it was 90/10 ground beef, so it needed it). I used the stuff fairly liberally and some of it was on the outside of the burgers when they hit the grill. Bad idea. The breadcrumbs pretty much burned up and made the burgers look really burned. The funny thing is, they weren't burned, and actually tasted pretty darn good. But all the charred blackness didn't do much for the eye-appeal!

Major Stains
06-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Right, this is serious. On Saturday I am having a World Cup/ Birthday party and BBQ. And I thought if there is one place I can find someone that knows how to cook meat better than Satan himself, it is here on the MP foodie forum.
I have read this a bit, and DAMN you boys over the pond can cook meat like no one else.

So here is the catch. Who would like to sneak me their signature dish, so I can pass it off as mine and wow everyone.
I don't mind a bit of prep work, and no more than an hour cook time ( drinking to be done :drink: ), and being from the UK we are a bit limited on decent racks of ribs etc.

Borlax's burgers sounded pretty fine, I think I am already doing King prawns on skewers with garlic/lime juice, some chicken etc.

Any ideas are welcome (no Spam please B)

And I promise not to cheer too loudly when England score. ;) **== :spank: ;)

Trez
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Right, this is serious. On Saturday I am having a World Cup/ Birthday party and BBQ. And I thought if there is one place I can find someone that knows how to cook meat better than Satan himself, it is here on the MP foodie forum.
I have read this a bit, and DAMN you boys over the pond can cook meat like no one else.

So here is the catch. Who would like to sneak me their signature dish, so I can pass it off as mine and wow everyone.
I don't mind a bit of prep work, and no more than an hour cook time ( drinking to be done :drink: ), and being from the UK we are a bit limited on decent racks of ribs etc.

Borlax's burgers sounded pretty fine, I think I am already doing King prawns on skewers with garlic/lime juice, some chicken etc.

I like to make "Bo's" burgers. Bo is Vietnamese for dad and the burgers are Asian inspired. I can get the exact recipe later if you want. It consists of a marinade of Hoisin, Soy, Fish and Oyster sauces and a few other things that slip my mind at the moment. Let me know if you want the proper recipe. I usually take liberties with the recipe, yet they always turn out great!

Major Stains
06-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I like to make "Bo's" burgers. Bo is Vietnamese for dad and the burgers are Asian inspired. I can get the exact recipe later if you want, but it consists of a marinade of Hoisin, Soy, Fish and Oyster sauces and a few other things that slip my mind at the moment. Let me know if you want the proper recipe.

I like the sound of the Bo (Black Op) burger. Yes please, that sounds good, I could just drink hoisin! Mmmm.
Cheers Trez

Trez
06-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I like the sound of the Bo (Black Op) burger. Cheers Trez
lol! I didn't even think of that! :)) I'll make sure to post the recipe later. Cheers!

iheartpain
06-08-2010, 05:21 PM

My wife and I throw summer dinner parties ALL the time, and here are a few recipes that ALWAYS wow. We are foodies, so feel free to downgrade ingredients if it doesn't suit you. Everything we use is organic, unless I specify otherwise.

Summer Burgers
For 4-6:
1 lb 80/20 ground beef
1 lb ground buffalo
2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
sliced mushrooms (preferably wild, but crimini or whatever you can find)
Gruyere (or other flavorful medium cheese)
Onions
2-3 avacados
1 lemon
Salt & pepper
garlic powder
Olive oil
Aioli

Make the aiolo (easy way is mayonaise, minced garlic, olive oil, a bit of lemon, & cracked black pepper. for this, I like to add a little mustard for some zing and acidity)

freshly baked, chewy rolls for buns, preferably sourdough

Slice & saute the onions and mushrooms, until almost caramelized

Mash the avocados and mix with lemon juice and pinch of salt

Mix beef and buffalo, season to taste with salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder. Make into patties and grill - flip once, adding cheese after to melt.

Lightly grill each bun, and spread with aioli. Layer cheesy burger, grilled onions & mushrooms, and mashed avocado; top and serve!

This goes amazingly well with chicken also, and I like my chicken breasts pretty spicy with this.

I'll post others, but this is all I have time for. Enjoy! =p~

johnboy
06-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Stains I'll keep an eye out for a recipe or two for you. For a brit I do quite a bit of bbqing myself but being jobless at the minute can't really afford to buy much so over the past couple of years have had to go the usual route of burgers, sausage etc. I refuse to buy cheap and nasty though. Won't go below 65% meat for sausages and below 85% for burgers. I sometimes do fish (depends what I can get hold of) with chili, corriander and lime. You can do that en papillote (in paper), but since baking parchment will burn on the barbie you can do it in foil. I also have a Mexican cookery book that has stuffed steaks with chili and cheese sauce.

Major Stains
06-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks all. Have I opened pandoras box? It all sounds so good, i'm gonna light it up now.

Trez
06-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Hey Stains, here's the Bo's burgers recipe. Like I said I usually take liberties with the recipe, sometimes doubling an ingredient, and it still turns out great.

1 lb Ground Beef
1 tsp Fish Sauce
1 tsp Soy Sauce (usually double or more :) )
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Hoisin Sause (usually double or more :) )
1/4 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Black Pepper

Combine and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 15-minutes. The longer the beef marinates the more flavorful it becomes.

Cook to your preference.

It's a really forgiving recipe, so just use your best judgment. I've done the bread crumb trick and I've even added an egg a few times. Just go all out with the ingredients, but not too much or the patties won't stick.

Let me know if you go with the Bo's burgers. Cheers!

Sckrapps
06-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Mix beef and buffalo

IHP,

What does this do? I really like the flavor of buffalo burgers, does mixing it just make for a more flavorful burger?

=T4NUKI=
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Tonight it's T-Bone time at the T4 hideout !

DayliteMag
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Tonight it's T-Bone time at the T4 hideout !

Sweet! How far is Abbotsford from Ottawa? :D

CELockwood
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Can you swing through Kentucky and pick me up on the way? A T-bone sounds really, really, good right now.

iheartpain
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Mix beef and buffalo

IHP,

What does this do? I really like the flavor of buffalo burgers, does mixing it just make for a more flavorful burger?

We really love buffalo as well, but since it's generally nowhere near 80/20 you get the extra fat from the beef to add some juiciness. Also, it appeals more to people who 1)have never had buffalo before, and 2) don't like the idea of eating buffalo (until they try this, anyway :devil:

Major Stains
06-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey Stains, here's the Bo's burgers recipe.

Cheers Trez. Think I'm going to give the Black Op Burger a go. As I know my guests like fish & Asian style cooking :) I will let you know how they go down.

It gives rain for Saturday now, anyone got a recipe for sunshine? ;)

=T4NUKI=
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM
about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive !

Major Stains
06-09-2010, 06:11 PM
about a 3 1/2-4 hour drive !

LOL. You know it. More like a 9 hour flight!

johnboy
06-17-2010, 02:34 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs488.snc3/26708_453885703942_669553942_6128036_7093398_n.jpg

My first ever attempt at a homemade bacon cheeseburger with spicy mayo.

Trez
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Is that Ciabatta!? :-o Holy crap that looks delicious. =p~

Borlaxx
06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs488.snc3/26708_453885703942_669553942_6128036_7093398_n.jpg

My first ever attempt at a homemade bacon cheeseburger with spicy mayo.

Is that Ciabatta!? :-o Holy crap that looks delicious. =p~
Agreed =p~

johnboy
06-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah I used miniture ciabattas. The burgers were really nice. Huge but nice.

Trez
06-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't want to offend any ladies, so I'll abstain from the "that's what she said". Oh, wait... :-?

johnboy
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Ooops. Anyway, sorry about the slightly out of focus pic.

Major Stains
06-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Wow, Johnboy. I would be proud to die on the toilet eating that badboy. One tasty looking burger. ^:)^

Hey Trez, sorry I never got back to you about the Bo Burger. A great success, many thanks. :cheers:
Very subtle flavours, but complimented the beef very well & people asked for the recipe (always a good sign).

=T4NUKI=
06-18-2010, 08:48 AM
That looks tasty, Johnboy...mind sending me one across the pond ?!

oscarthegrouch71
06-18-2010, 08:56 AM
I just dribbled on my keyboard looking at it.........

johnboy
06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. Not bad for my first attempt. I thought the burger didn't look great on its own but it seemed to look better and better as I added stuff.

=T4NUKI=
06-18-2010, 09:48 AM
My sweet wife and I are preparing our week-end treat.....baby back ribs !
we'll dry-rub them today, let'em rest through the night, Hickory smoke them tomorrow morning-afternoon, and then, BAM, on the grill with my infamous Boreale Rousse Red Beer-Tequila BBq sauce !

johnboy
06-19-2010, 09:41 AM
T4 they sound nice. A pic would be good before you eat them.

DayliteMag
06-19-2010, 03:10 PM
My sweet wife and I are preparing our week-end treat.....baby back ribs !
we'll dry-rub them today, let'em rest through the night, Hickory smoke them tomorrow morning-afternoon, and then, BAM, on the grill with my infamous Boreale Rousse Red Beer-Tequila BBq sauce !

I want my baby back baby back baby back riiiiiiiiiibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds great T4. I have yet to perfect the slow smoke bbq. Just can't seem to get "the touch".

StrawHousePig
06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/four-label ... e-bruc.php (http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/four-labels-from-the-bruc.php)

=T4NUKI=
06-23-2010, 07:21 AM
http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/four-labels-from-the-bruc.php
:)) this soup is to die for ! :))

=T4NUKI=
06-25-2010, 04:19 PM
Emli, my beloved wife/girlfriend/soulmate/lover/footmasseuse just surprised me with an amazing fresh St-Paul d'Abbotsford grown strawberry shortcake...MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....!!!!!

iheartpain
06-25-2010, 08:57 PM
awwww yeah - i LOVE strawberry shortcake! you better thank her for that! ;)

bostonjen28
06-29-2010, 05:31 AM
well, last night's dinner was cheeseburgers on the grill.. we looooove to grill!
today im gonna marinate some kielbasa (in bbq and italian dressing) all day, then grill it up later along with some veggies and rice, and a nice spinach salad.. yum!

(this is an awesome thread, btw. I love to cook!)

iheartpain
06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
well, last night's dinner was cheeseburgers on the grill.. we looooove to grill!
today im gonna marinate some kielbasa (in bbq and italian dressing) all day, then grill it up later along with some veggies and rice, and a nice spinach salad.. yum!

(this is an awesome thread, btw. I love to cook!)

Tonight it's a rare night to eat out. Picking up Thai from my wife's favorite place.

Yesterday, she made enchiladas from scratch, including the salsa verde and slow-cooking the chicken. =p~ Too bad I didn't get to eat any until 11pm because my softball games went late :((

Welcome jen!

bostonjen28
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Haven't tried thai food since I was a teenager.. Didn't care much for it back then, but pallets change as ya get older so I will have to try some again... Enchiladas from scratch sound really yummy!

I was trying to use up some random things in the fridge today (we are going away for the 4th, so I am trying to use things so they don't spoil)... ended up making a pasta salad with ravioletti, baby spinach, crumbled real bacon, shredded carrot, and grape tomatoes. Came out fantastic,something nice and cool to eat on a hot summer day!!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!! :)

johnboy
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I haven't cooked much for a couple of weeks as our oven is still broken. We are waiting for a new one to be delivered and it seems to be taking forever :( . Cant wait for the new one to arrive though :D

iheartpain
07-01-2010, 09:33 AM
What did you eat for your birthday, Trez?? :)

Trez
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
What did you eat for your birthday, Trez?? :)
3 rolls of Sushi: ginsu (sp), salmon q, and sweet potato.

RC-1136
07-01-2010, 10:59 AM
We're having grilled chicken with fresh pesto over penne pasta. We have so much basil on our garden, we are going to be eating pesto for the rest of the summer.

=T4NUKI=
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
We're having grilled chicken with fresh pesto over penne pasta. We have so much basil on our garden, we are going to be eating pesto for the rest of the summer.
LOVE basil ! This is one herb I never get tired off !

johnboy
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
W00t w00t. My new cooker comes Monday morning but got to get up before 7 in the morning though as it's arriving between 7 and 8.15am. Cooking here I come. I made a quicj stir fry today with satay sauce. mmmmmm

Raider
07-02-2010, 08:28 AM
We are in need of a brand new oven ourselves. Because I'm always trying to find a way to get the family moved back up to North Carolina, I refuse to buy a home in Atlanta, so we rent. The wifey was going to make candied bacon the other day, but was not able to get the oven to warm up. The stove top on it works, but the not the oven. Left a message with the landlord 2 days ago and have yet to here back. I want my friggin candied bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =p~

RC-1136
07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Pizza for dinner tonight of course. It's Friday!

iheartpain
07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
3 rolls of Sushi: ginsu (sp), salmon q, and sweet potato.

Yum! Make, or go out?

I didn't plant a garden this year :( because we're moving in a couple weeks :), otherwise I'd be right with you there on the basil front, RC. Last year I had 17 plants!

...You know, pesto freezes exceptionally well; just make it and put it in ice cube trays (or other small containers) to freeze, and save for later. the color comes out a bit darker when reheated, but everything else is just great!

RC-1136
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I've used the icecube tray trick before. Works well for chicken broth as well. I freeze all my herbs. They keep really well that way. They are easier to chop up frozen, too.

xMisFitToyx
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Mmmmmm!

4th of July Bar-B-Que **==

=T4NUKI=
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Good grub, Dog !! Looks delicious !
By the way, my wife/girlfriend/dishwasher/lovebug made the most DISGUSTING pasta dish tonight ! The poor thing was miserable....I did my best to finish the plate, but it was terrible !
It was such a surprise, she usually cooks little wonders ! I guess you cannot hit homeruns everytime you're at the plate ! (Plate :)) )
So we went to A&W ! Yeah !

johnboy
07-05-2010, 07:46 PM
We are in need of a brand new oven ourselves. The stove top on it works, but the not the oven.

We had exactly the same thing. New one is here now but we are in need of a plumber to fit it. Mt best buddy is in the building trade so is coming tomorrow to help me to fit it. Not a plumber but between us we know what we are doing. I used to work @ a plumbers merchants and have learnt quite a lot from the guys that buy from there.

iheartpain
07-06-2010, 10:44 AM
@Dog =p~ =p~ =p~

BrimstonePsycho
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
mmmm NAVAJO TACOS tonight

iheartpain
07-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Last night it was fresh pasta with shrimp, proscuitto, roasted tomatoes & zucchini with a little garlic, butter, cream, and fresh parmaggiano reggiano from Italy. =p~

As a matter of fact, I'm eating it again right now :D

Borlaxx
07-07-2010, 03:38 PM
It's Taco Night at the Ringer house! Of course, considering the recent health kick, it will be with wheat tortillas, extra lean ground beef, and reduced fat sour cream and cheese. This is how we made them before, but the wheat tortillas are a new addition, and I actually think they have a better taste than the regular ones.

Raider
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
mmmm NAVAJO TACOS tonight

What exactly is in a Navajo Taco?

Whenever I hear or see the word Navajo, I instantly think of Lou Diamond Phillips and Young Guns. Weird huh?

Major Stains
08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
It's Sunday night and we have been away for the weekend.
Just got back and there must have been a power cut that tripped the fuse on the house!
We lost the entire contents of the fridge freezer :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Anyone know a good soup recipe using chips, peas, ice-cream, sausages, soya mince, pizzas, milk and a dozen ' home made baby meals'. AAAaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! X(

At least I don't have to defrost the damn thing for a while, that job sucks. ;)

Oh well, could be worse, burglars could have taken the Wii! :D

johnboy
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Have you never heard of the old chips, peas, ice cream, sausage soup? Mmmm mmmm. Hang on! What about sausage chips and peas followed by ice cream? Oh no, that sounds horrible! ;) :D

MoreCowBell87
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Spicy Chicken Pad Thai anyone?

iheartpain
08-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Not a whole lot that's fantastic, since during the move, our freezer tripped the breaker at the new house, and we lost hundreds of pounds of free-range organic buffalo, pork, and chicken :(( (yes, fillet mignon and bacon were among the casualties)

Soon, though. Soon.... :)

johnboy
08-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I've not cooked a whole lot recently. Been too sore to stand up for too long to be able to make some nice stuff. Even tried to make my burgers again. FAIL!!!!!

Raider
08-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Last night was Grilled steak & asparagus. Eliminated the carbs, too hot for a 3 course meal

Major Stains
08-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Not a whole lot that's fantastic, since during the move, our freezer tripped the breaker at the new house, and we lost hundreds of pounds of free-range organic buffalo, pork, and chicken :(( (yes, fillet mignon and bacon were among the casualties)

Soon, though. Soon.... :)

DOH. #-o That sounds worse than ours (I mean better to eat, worse to lose).

MoreCowBell87
08-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Slow cooked BBQ kielbasa, Mashed Potatos, rice and honey biscuits. mmm

DB4
08-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Hamburger Helper and corn. Doin' it big time tonight! ;)

MoreCowBell87
08-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hamburger Helper and corn. Doin' it big time tonight! ;)

We eat a ton of Riceroni However it is spelled.

Psalm
08-02-2010, 08:50 PM
brought home Chipotle (http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/menu/menu.aspx) for the fam tonight.... yum
carnitas and chips and guac

DayliteMag
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Tonight I made Chicken Parama for my Wife and Daughter. My Daughter (12 YO) decided she wanted to make Dessert (she loves to cook and has been helping her Mother since she was very young).

Some food porn to illustrate the results:

johnboy
08-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Not been cooking much recently but I made toad in the hole again last week. Even better than the last attempt but we had cut it up before I had chance to take any pics. (For any of you new bods that don't know what it is, it's yorkshire pudding batter cooked in a large roasting dish with sausages. The one I made last week got to about 6 inches high at the sides and a couple of inches hight in the middle. WOOHOO. I'm hoping my new cooker helped.

johnboy
08-22-2010, 03:52 PM
While cooking our roast dinner today I decided to make yorkshire puddings. (typical English accompaniment to a roast dinner). Unfortunately I put them in the smaller top oven and halfway through cooking they got too big and stuck to the top of the oven. Next time the stuffing goes In there and the yorkies go In the main oven. First time I've made yorkies puds since we got the new oven.

For anyone that wants to make 12 huge yorkshire puds here Is the recipe:
4 large eggs,
150g plain flour
300 mls milk
Pinch of salt
Fat.

Heat the oil in a yorkshire pudding tray at 220c until smoking, add the batter mix quickly so that the oil doesn't cool too much, the very hot oil will start the cooking process. Place in the oven at 220c for 20-25 mins,then turn down to 180 for 10 mins. The high heat will make them rise and crisp up the outside, the lower temperature will finish off the cooking on the inside. If you want you can take them out the tray once finished and turn them upside down on a rack/cooker shelf and cook them upside down for a few minutes to get rid of any excess oil. Next time I cook some I'll get a pic posted on here.

DayliteMag
08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks, JB! I love Yorkshire Pud, but haven't had since my Mum passed away.

DayliteMag
08-26-2010, 05:42 PM
We had homemade Pizza for dinner tonight. A real fav around here!

Raider
08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Last night I made a London Broil (on the grill) with a salad that had chopped feta stuffed olives, tomato's, mini peperoni pieces topped with a sweet vidalia salad dressing.

DayliteMag
08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Tonight I will be grilling some chicken and we will have Fajitas! My wife is making re-fried beans (just for me), guacamole and pico di gallo with Cilantro to go with. I will also put on a foil packet filled with onions and peppers.

Raider
08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Tonight I will be grilling some chicken and we will have Fajitas! My wife is making re-fried beans (just for me), guacamole and pico di gallo with Cilantro to go with. I will also put on a foil packet filled with onions and peppers.

Yum, except for the bell peppers. Those things about kill me.

DayliteMag
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Pic of the Chicken hitting the charcoal grill! Love my Weber Kettle grill!

johnboy
08-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Not quite the usual British Sunday roast.
We had griddled pork chop with dried mixed herbs, roast potatoes with roasted bell peppers and garlic and par boiled cabbage which I drained and put straight back into the pan with lots of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Peppers and garlic were cooked in the same tray as the potatoes but only once the potatoes were already half roasted.

DayliteMag
08-29-2010, 04:25 PM
We had griddled pork chop with dried mixed herbs, roast potatoes with roasted bell peppers and garlic and par boiled cabbage which I drained and put straight back into the pan with lots of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Peppers and garlic were cooked in the same tray as the potatoes but only once the potatoes were already half roasted.

Sounds lovely, JB. I love grilled pork chops! Here is a pic of the Beer Can chicken which I am doing tonight. Also on the grill are Potatoes which have been cut into very large slices and then had the middle partially dug out. I then wrap the potatoes with a slice of thick cut, smoked bacon and put them on the grill. They will cook "indirectly" along with the chix and when all are done I will fill the middle "hole" with a nice, grated sharp cheddar and allow the cheese to become bubbly and melty. Oh, and my wife will make some sort of veg (which I won't eat, I'm a meat and potatoes sort. But I have to admit that the veg looks nice on the plate and I'll have a little....just to head off the inevitable nagging).

CELockwood
08-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Sounds lovely, JB. I love grilled pork chops! Here is a pic of the Beer Can chicken which I am doing tonight. Also on the grill are Potatoes which have been cut into very large slices and then had the middle partially dug out. I then wrap the potatoes with a slice of thick cut, smoked bacon and put them on the grill. They will cook "indirectly" along with the chix and when all are done I will fill the middle "hole" with a nice, grated sharp cheddar and allow the cheese to become bubbly and melty. Oh, and my wife will make some sort of veg (which I won't eat, I'm a meat and potatoes sort. But I have to admit that the veg looks nice on the plate and I'll have a little....just to head off the inevitable nagging).

That looks friggin' awesome and is making my mouth water. Going downstairs right now to nag the wife about dinner...

johnboy
08-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Daylite, looks like you need to get the weed killer out.

Oh and the food looks good too! ;) :D

DayliteMag
08-29-2010, 06:11 PM
JB, you're right about the weeds. Our City recently banned the cosmetic use of pesticides and herbicides....at, least that is my current excuse for the wretched condition of our yard. Honestly, I'm a lazy bastard who would rather play video games than do work around the house.

johnboy
08-29-2010, 06:28 PM
I weed killered MOST of the weeds around the house today as well as cut both lawns then measured up for a new fence and patio. Got to save up for those. Little house, HUGE garden! Pity it kept clouding over but thankfully no rain. Since June it's rained on and off nearly every day. Since last weekend we've had a couple of wet-ish days but the rest have been quite nice. I've even manged to get some of my tan back. Not really been nice enough to BBQ though. Oh yeah, need to buy a new one of those after my last one got stolen. :(

Phantom
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Tonight we had a bit of a throwback from my bachelor days. This was made when I had near to nothing left in the way of food.

Boil enough rice to cover a dinner plate. Cut up 4-5 rashers of smoked bacon per person. Cook this off with half a large onion or a small onion (chopped). Chuck this on top of the rice. Cover with couple handfuls of grated cheese (preferably cheddar). Add ketchup to taste. Mix together and tuck in.

DayliteMag
09-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Tonight we had a bit of a throwback from my bachelor days. This was made when I had near to nothing left in the way of food.

Boil enough rice to cover a dinner plate. Cut up 4-5 rashers of smoked bacon per person. Cook this off with half a large onion or a small onion (chopped). Chuck this on top of the rice. Cover with couple handfuls of grated cheese (preferably cheddar). Add ketchup to taste. Mix together and tuck in.

I like it! Could beat up and mix in an egg and a bit of soya sauce for an Asian flare!

Raider
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Some thick cut Ribeye's for Labor Day.

MoreCowBell87
09-06-2010, 08:50 PM
=p~ Even some wonder bread to go with it!

Raider
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
=p~ Even some wonder bread to go with it!

LOL, now I know. If Skeet comes to your house for dinner, make sure you have wonder bread to go with it! ;)

Borlaxx
09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
For anyone who lives in Florida, I HIGHLY recommend this place: http://www.cowboysbarbqueandsteakco.com/menu.html

When I was working in trial in Okeechobee last year we ate at this place every single day. Amazing food. Everything I had was fantastic. The fried green beans = unexpected awesomness.

Someone mentioned BBQ at work today so I decided to look them up. Unfortunately no locations near Orlando :(

RC-1136
09-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Now that Summer is over it back to Friday Night Pizza Night in my house. I can't wait.

Raider
09-11-2010, 08:04 AM
We will be eating at the Neely's (from Food Network) restaurant tonight for dinner, when we get into Nashville.

LandShark
09-11-2010, 08:16 AM
may not sound good, but their bbq spagetti is good!

johnboy
09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Sea bass tonight for us. Not something we buy very often as it's quite expensive but it's something different to the bog standard cod, (not call of duty) we normally have. Just going to do it with potatoes and peas with a lemon and butter sauce.

xMisFitToyx
09-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Sounds deliciuos Guys...Makin me think I need to step up and fix something great tonight........ :D

johnboy
09-12-2010, 01:06 PM
For anyone that wants to make 12 huge yorkshire puds here Is the recipe:
4 large eggs,
150g plain flour
300 mls milk
Pinch of salt
Fat.

Heat the oil in a yorkshire pudding tray at 220c until smoking, add the batter mix quickly so that the oil doesn't cool too much, the very hot oil will start the cooking process. Place in the oven at 220c for 20-25 mins,then turn down to 180 for 10 mins. The high heat will make them rise and crisp up the outside, the lower temperature will finish off the cooking on the inside. If you want you can take them out the tray once finished and turn them upside down on a rack/cooker shelf and cook them upside down for a few minutes to get rid of any excess oil. Next time I cook some I'll get a pic posted on here.

Following on from my last disastrous effort yorkshires in the top oven. here are some pics of the ones I made today.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs633.snc4/59322_492545968942_669553942_7094820_1958669_n.jpg 1 yorkie on a dinner plate

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs677.snc4/61777_492545738942_669553942_7094817_5305885_n.jpg 1 plate of yorkies.

What do you make of those bad boys?

Major Stains
09-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Mate. I love a yorkie. Toad in the hole is my favourite comfort food. They look fantastic. :applause:

DayliteMag
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Nice Yorkshire Puds, JB! Makes me wish I was having rare roast beef with dark gravy and Yorkshire Pudding to sop it all up!

DayliteMag
09-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Nicely marbled, 1"1/2 thick, Rib Steaks grilled to medium rare with twice baked potatoes on the side. For Dessert....homemade apple pie, "a la mode". The new crop of fall apples are in and, according to the wife, perfect for pies!

DayliteMag
09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
More food porn........Yes, it tasted as good as it looked! Hard to see in the Pic, but right in the centre is a little pastry cut-out shaped like an apple.

johnboy
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
And there I was thinking it was a heart, because you were thinking of us all while making it. :D

johnboy
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Had a late lunch so we are having a late dinner tonight. Minted and mixed herb roasted potatoes with chicken, cooked en papillote. Wish I had some white wine to put in with the chicken.

DayliteMag
09-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Had a late lunch so we are having a late dinner tonight. Minted and mixed herb roasted potatoes with chicken, cooked en papillote. Wish I had some white wine to put in with the chicken.

Don't tell me you can only buy Newkie Broon? Surely they must also sell wine in your neck of the woods?

johnboy
09-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Just got no wine in the house and I couldn't be bothered to go and buy some.

RC-1136
09-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I love Yorkshire Puddings. Had a bunch of them when I was in Skipton last year around this time.

Not sure what is for dinner tonight. We have back to school night here, so it wll be something quick with little clean up.

johnboy
09-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Skipton, as in North Yorkshire? It's only about 60 or 70 miles from me.
Anyway, I'm getting quite back in to cooking again. I know Its not too exciting but I made cottage pie tonight. For those that dont know what it is, it's minced beef with diced onion and carrot with gravy and whatever else you decide to put in. Cooked and placed in a dish and topped with mashed potatoes, then put in the oven to crisp up the top of the mash. Some people put cheese on top of the mash, but like I did tonight, I prefer to put cheese in the mashed potatoes. cheesy mash, mmmmmmm.
It's my mothers 50th birthday next week and she has decided to have an Italian theme party and I have volunteered to do pizza. From scratch. Not cooked those for a very long time now, but if I remember rightly the recipe I have for the dough makes enough for about 4 pizzas. I use a really easy Jamie O recipe for simple tomato sauce using olive oil, tinned tomatoes, garlic and basil and I top the pizzas with mozzarella and some more basil. I think I may have to mix It up a bit and add some extra toppings on some of them.

xMisFitToyx
09-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds really delicious JB. Please post pictures of your finished products.......Mmmmmmmmmm :D

johnboy
09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Can't do the cottage pie. It's nearly all gone. Will try to get pics of the pizzas though. I am quite a fan of traditional British food. I also like to try other nationalities foods. Paella is something I'd really like to try one day. I also love a curry but I fail at making them.

xMisFitToyx
09-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Your description of the Cottage Pie sounds like what I call "Pot Pie" (No Joke). However we do not put the mashed potatoes on top......maybe the next time I will.......... :D

DayliteMag
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Cottage Pie sounds like what we would call Sheppard's Pie.

johnboy
09-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Shepherd's pie over here is made using lamb mince (lamb, shepherd). Cottage pie is made with beef mince. As far as I'm aware that's the only real difference. I quickly looked it up as I didn't realise that you Canadians ate either and from what I read it's shepherds pie over there whether you use beef or lamb mince.

Borlaxx
09-22-2010, 08:13 AM
Here in America we call it shepherds pie, and I have only ever had it with beef. Really good stuff!

DayliteMag
09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Shepherd's pie over here is made using lamb mince (lamb, shepherd). Cottage pie is made with beef mince. As far as I'm aware that's the only real difference. I quickly looked it up as I didn't realise that you Canadians ate either and from what I read it's shepherds pie over there whether you use beef or lamb mince.

Hey JB, there is a similar recipe which you may enjoy. This one is a very traditional French-Canadian dish which is filled with ground/minced pork. It's called Tourtiere (pronounced tort-chair) and is made with a pie crust instead of mashed potatoes. My wife was born in Montreal (although she is Anglo) and she makes a wicked good Tourtiere. For some reason we always seem to have it in the Fall.

Here is a link to a recipe for Tourtiere (Note: we don't put in mushrooms...'cuz I can't stand those chewy little bastards! :sick: ): http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/tourtiere_recipe_and_instructions.php

Raider
09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Looking at that recipe 2 hours before lunch is torture....pun intended.

DayliteMag
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Looking at that recipe 2 hours before lunch is torture....pun intended.

Don't normally do this, but...........

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

murphygoodie
09-22-2010, 10:51 PM
doing some 12oz N.Y.strips and mahi mahi and shrimp kabobs on the B.B.Q for the family tomorrow night haven't decided on starch or veg. yet.dont think the kids mind as long as they get steak & shrimp.

johnboy
09-23-2010, 05:23 AM
What about bbq or roasted veg?

Raider
09-23-2010, 08:07 AM
doing some 12oz N.Y.strips and mahi mahi and shrimp kabobs on the B.B.Q for the family tomorrow night haven't decided on starch or veg. yet.dont think the kids mind as long as they get steak & shrimp.

Damn, that sounds good. I'm coming over to your place for dinner.

johnboy
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't believe this fell off page 1. Pizza pics to follow (not to good as the wife took them). When I find me mams cam and get them uploaded.

Major Stains
10-07-2010, 01:48 PM
So my better half is a vegetarian. I thought I would cook her a nice veggie curry last night.
No big shakes I hear you cry, but the carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower all came fresh from our garden.
I think my new tag may be [MP]Greenfingers ;)

Tasted shweet. Still feeling the effects now though :-s

johnboy
10-08-2010, 06:53 AM
OK, my mam has taken her camera to France while she has gone away for 10 days. I have to go and pick her up from the airport so will get the pizza pics uploaded once she's back.

Raider
10-08-2010, 05:09 PM
So my better half is a vegetarian. I thought I would cook her a nice veggie curry last night.
No big shakes I hear you cry, but the carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower all came fresh from our garden.
I think my new tag may be [MP]Greenfingers ;)

Tasted shweet. Still feeling the effects now though :-s

I hear you on the effects.......I'm just now having to discipline myself from eating the stuff I love because my stomach just can't take it no more. I'm dreading the day I have to give up bacon. :-ss

=T4NUKI=
10-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Mom's working late tonight....so the men of the Tremblay household are ordering pizza !!!

Lumchan
10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Otter made us breakfast for dinner tonight. We had bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits with cantaloupe. Yummy!

Tembis
10-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Otter made us breakfast for dinner tonight. We had bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits with cantaloupe. Yummy!
I love breakfast for dinner!!! Pancakes too

=T4NUKI=
10-16-2010, 07:58 AM
IT's cold and wet and ugly outside this morning, mommy's in a terrible mood and went back to bed.....this is going to be a baaaaaaad weekend...unless..... I'm making breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs and cheddar cheese on english muffins (just like at Mcdonalds!!!!only better) for Victor and myself !! (and if mom wants any, she'd better put a smily face !!!)

Raider
10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
IT's cold and wet and ugly outside this morning, mommy's in a terrible mood and went back to bed.....this is going to be a baaaaaaad weekend...unless..... I'm making breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs and cheddar cheese on english muffins (just like at Mcdonalds!!!!only better) for Victor and myself !! (and if mom wants any, she'd better put a smily face !!!)

That sounds delicious....that is a weekend norm around here for us, just like you make em.

MoreCowBell87
10-16-2010, 11:25 AM
8oz parmesan and garlic crusted sirloin mmmm

=T4NUKI=
10-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Mom and Victor are gone for the day......
I'm wondering, am I going to treat myself with an oyster fest, or just some fist-sized scallops ??!!
We'll see what does the fish monger has in store for good ol' T4 !!

iheartpain
10-20-2010, 01:30 AM
I have been cooking a lot lately, so here are some things over the past 10 days or so:
- Thin-crust wood-fired sourdough pizzas, with freshly ground italian sausage
- Pulled-pork sandwiches, with freshly smoked pork butt
- Veggie curry
- Pumpkin oatmeal croquettes
- Roasted tomato bisque
- Pork fried rice with a fried egg on top mmmMMMMmm
- a few zucchini pasta dishes (with julienned zucchini as the pasta, instead of noodles)
- a version of italian wedding soup

...it's nice to flex my culinary muscles after a long hiatus :)

My wife's accounts have been booming, growing hugely - she's making breakfast pastries:
- Pumpkin-pecan muffins
- Triple-berry scones
- Maple-nut scones
- Coffee-cake muffins

=T4NUKI=
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
All right,
IHP, we're all going to your place for diner tonght !

johnboy
10-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Since we are still somewhat skint but also trying to get stuff in the cupboards freezer used up, I am not making a traditional Sunday roast tonight but instead am making a nice warming mince and dumplings. For those that don't know what is in a British dumpling, basically it's made from Beef fat (usually from around the kidneys) with flour (self raising or plain with a raising agent) bound together with a little water. I usually cook down a diced onion and carrot then add the beef mince and cook that down with some Worcester sauce, beef stock, (a little red wine if we have some in the house) and then add some peas and usually some chopped carrot, transfer it to an oven proof dish and add the dumplings. Some people like to cook the dumplings without turning them but I find they become too hard so halfway through cooking I turn mine so that they absorb the flavours all the way through and they cook thoroughly but are still soft to eat.

Phantom
10-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I had egg fried rice, chicken with mixed veg (pepper, carrot, cabbage, onion, celery) and prawn crackers

Raider
10-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Getting ready to eat a steamed artichoke with lemon salt and garlic seasoning old bay and a drawn butter dipping sauce. Washing it down with Coors Light. Ready for some football.

MoreCowBell87
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
White fudge Flipz and baked Ruffles haha.

DayliteMag
10-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Was going to be pulled pork, but the wife forgot to plug in the slow cooker! Epic crockpot fail! Instead we had take-out chicken from a local chain; Swiss Chalet. It was OK, but not pulled pork :(

Lumchan
10-24-2010, 07:00 PM
That's too bad Daylite. Pulled Pork does sounds yummy. Otter is make BLT egg and cheese sandwiches tonight. I can't wait.

DayliteMag
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
That's too bad Daylite. Pulled Pork does sounds yummy. Otter is make BLT egg and cheese sandwiches tonight. I can't wait.

That sounds ALOT better than our take-out chicken! I'd have mine without the L&T...I don't keep this girlish figure by loading up on rabbit food.

=T4NUKI=
10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Lovely wife made her famous lasagna !!!! MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm....

sniperella
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
MMMM, had Grits for breakfast! ;)

And for lunch:
Homegrown, home cooked Turnip Greens with vinegar
Creamed mashed potatoes
White beans
and Fried Green Tomatoes!

MMMMM, so full, no supper for me tonight! I don't have any room left! ;)

Raider
11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
MMMM, had Grits for breakfast! ;)

And for lunch:
Homegrown, home cooked Turnip Greens with vinegar
Creamed mashed potatoes
White beans
and Fried Green Tomatoes!

MMMMM, so full, no supper for me tonight! I don't have any room left! ;)

That all sounds so yummy!

My wife made her home-made chili. Topped it off with cheese and a side of saltines. Made it just in time for the start of the 4th quarter of the game last night.

=T4NUKI=
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Came home tonight to an amazing feast of BBQed pulled pork sandwiches ! My hands and face will remain spotted with sauce for the rest of the evening for I cant stop eating them !!

iheartpain
11-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Was going to be pulled pork, but the wife forgot to plug in the slow cooker! Epic crockpot fail! Instead we had take-out chicken from a local chain; Swiss Chalet. It was OK, but not pulled pork :(

LOL been there, done that. Most dissappointing dinner ever, having to do take-out instead of pulled pork/shredded beef :))

Last night we had grilled pork steaks with a spaghetti-purple cabbage pasta (featuring a yummy garlic cream sauce). Also, a side of steamed purple cauliflower, buttered, salted, and peppered of course ;)

I like to prep veggies that resemble pasta, so that we eat less pasta, and more veg. It's a win-win :D

Oh, for dessert, we had cupcakes my wife brought home from work: I had 2 double-chocolate cupcakes with very pepperminty frosting. I think that's the only time I have not scraped the entire frosting off of the cupcake! I really only will eat 2 frostings: cream cheese frosting (that's not too sweet), and ganache. Can't ever go wrong with ganache. Ever. :D

Borlaxx
11-05-2010, 09:50 AM

LOL been there, done that. Most dissappointing dinner ever, having to do take-out instead of pulled pork/shredded beef :))

Last night we had grilled pork steaks with a spaghetti-purple cabbage pasta (featuring a yummy garlic cream sauce). Also, a side of steamed purple cauliflower, buttered, salted, and peppered of course ;)

I like to prep veggies that resemble pasta, so that we eat less pasta, and more veg. It's a win-win :D

Oh, for dessert, we had cupcakes my wife brought home from work: I had 2 double-chocolate cupcakes with very pepperminty frosting. I think that's the only time I have not scraped the entire frosting off of the cupcake! I really only will eat 2 frostings: cream cheese frosting (that's not too sweet), and ganache. Can't ever go wrong with ganache. Ever. :D
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~

RATA MUERTA
11-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Just made two loaves of Pumpkin Gingerbread, man is it good!! Kosta calls it "breakfast cake" LOL.
If anyone wants the recipe it is easy to make.

Major Stains
11-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Last night, for my wifes Birthday dinner. I cooked up...
...Seabass with ginger & lime butter, served with a roasted sweet potato & gruyere bake, fine trimmed beans, chestnut mushrooms.
All washed down with a fine bottle of wine. =p~

To end the evening, I gave her the choice between a rendition of my famous mating ritual... B-)

[yt:bwuqh1e3]y2QfIegR_a8[/yt:bwuqh1e3]

...Or she could go to bed while I played Black OPs.

Yeah, I had a great time shooting!!! :cheers:

johnboy
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Organic top rump of beef (spiked with garlic), roasted potatoes, onion and yellow bell pepper with peas ans carrot and home made beef and red wine gravy. Oh and yorkshire puds from the freezer :-$ . Didn't have any bloody flour to make some. I keep some pre made ones In the freezer for a day like this. Oh and we have sticky coffee pudding for later If we are hungry, may possibly not going to be eaten until tomorrow.

Cataduanes
11-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Seafood linguine, which had fresh clams and mussels and king prawns in a white wine and garlic sauce.

DayliteMag
11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Tonight it's a nod to my Germanic roots. We are having Pork Schnitzle with homemade Spatzle, broccoli and green beans.

=T4NUKI=
11-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Emilie, my lovely wife, made us a pumpkin pie.....and I didnt like it ! :sick:
I feel soooooo bad for her when stuff like that happens !

CELockwood
11-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Made some spicy Italian sausage from ground venison last night and used it in some pasta Alfredo. Yum.

DayliteMag
11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Made some spicy Italian sausage from ground venison last night and used it in some pasta Alfredo. Yum.

That sounds incr"edible"!

TheFreak75
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I will still be having turkey leftovers tonigh, but not just a regular turkey. I will have fried turkey leftovers tonight. It is so delicious!!!!!!!

=T4NUKI=
11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Thw wife is angry .... she found out my secret beer stash in my music room....so what's for dinner tonight for poor ol'me ?? F?%$#@NG NOTHING !! :applause:

LandShark
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
beer has all us growing boys need

johnboy
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
What's for dinner? Tonight, nothing. Am stuck in bed now that the wife has gone to see a friend. If I could, I would order a takeaway!

johnboy
12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
Not for dinner, but since the wife and my bro don't like xmas pudding and neither the wife or I are too keen on xmas cake I make sticky toffee pudding with sticky toffee sauce for dessert on xmas day. I will be making this in the next couple of days and will get some pics posted of the progress. Then I'll put the recipe in the recipe thread. Oh yeah I'll have to get some pics taken on xmas day of the finished product too! mmmmmmmm cant wait.

johnboy
02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Made a chocolate ganache this afternoon so I can make some truffles for valentines, we are having the family over (I know not very romantic) but the sister and brother in law are getting a new kitchen fitted starting Monday, the mother in law is also coming over as are my nephew and niece. Chinese takeaway followed by chocolate truffles, I am doing chopped pistachio, cocoa and milk chocolate covered ones. All speperate coverings of course. I thought I may have buggered up the ganache but it looks ok now. I'll let you know if it is buggered, and how they go.

johnboy
02-10-2011, 02:25 PM
hmmm, seems to just be me using this thread now. Well ok here's the aforementiioned valentines day truffles (home made)

[attachment=0:1naywss5]truffles.jpg[/attachment:1naywss5]
cocoa, milk chocolate and pistachio toppings.

Borlaxx
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
They look great JB!

I would post on here, but I am pretty sure no one cares about the frozen pizza I am going to make tonight.

johnboy
02-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Hmmm pic is a bit bigger than I thought it would be! What's happened to fb pics? I can't seem to link them anymore, just a tiny little one :(

TonkaToys
06-24-2011, 03:00 PM
The missus is out on the town tonight, so I'm cooking for one!

Just made a massive curry and washing it down with a cold one (or two or three) before going online.

johnboy
06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
The missus is out on the town tonight, so I'm cooking for one!

Just made a massive curry and washing it down with a cold one (or two or three) before going online.

Mmmmm, did you cook it from scratch or is it from a takeaway?

OLDTYMER2DAY
06-24-2011, 06:21 PM
HAVING "BOBS" on the grill tonight !!! :cheers:

johnboy
06-24-2011, 11:00 PM
HAVING "BOBS" on the grill tonight !!! :cheers:

Bobs? I've not posted here due to the shitty weather playing silly nuggets with my joints. Hopefully there will be more to come!

TonkaToys
06-27-2011, 07:57 AM

From scratch mate, nice but wished I had a naan to go with it.

johnboy
06-27-2011, 08:29 AM

You're telling me you didn't invite her over for some! ;)

TonkaToys
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM

You're telling me you didn't invite her over for some! ;)

Heh, I did try but she was busy with Wayne Rooney. =((