PDA

View Full Version : iPad

Psalm
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Anybody else getting one. I pre-ordered mine this morning. It comes out April 3rd I believe. It looks amazing.

Lumchan
03-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Nope, but we are going to buy an iMac. Our old G5 finally died. Did you watch the Peewee video? You'll have to post a review once you get it.

Major Stains
04-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I pre-ordered mine this morning. It comes out April 3rd

NICE!

Tempting, very tempting

Lumchan
04-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw them discussing the iPad on Charlie Rose today. They were making an argument about how it was going to kill the laptop market, and how it has made the mouse obsolete. I guess we shall see, but I don't think that will happen. It does look really cool.

Psalm
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
It's pretty sweet...I did have some issues with some apps on Sunday. I think it will be my main computer I use to browse and use as an E-reader. The kids are totally digging it.

Borlaxx
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Can someone explain to me how it is different from a tablet laptop which have been out for years? I read the following in a review (http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Sure+looks+cool+what+market+need+iPad+trying+satis fy/2775660/story.html), and these have been my thoughts on it as well:

The iPad is being sold as a device to read ebooks and newspapers, watch video and play video games. That sounds a lot like a laptop or a desktop computer. The problem is, people like their laptops and desktops because they can do everything, including multi-task. Apple's iPad, and myriad tablets set to enter the market won't be as powerful as a laptop, so they'll only be able to perform one function at a time - hardly a solution for my attention-deficit generation.....The iPad has the potential to be a huge success, but my gut tells me it has the same potential to be a flop. That's because there seems to be nothing wrong with the platforms it claims to try to replace: magazines, newspapers, laptops, electronic readers and even the iPhone. Moreover, the iPad arguably doesn't do as good a job as any of those platforms. If you want to watch video, you'll use a television or a computer, and if you really need a device to read an electronic book, there are plenty of alternatives out there that are smaller and easier to use. There's also the fact that magazines and newspapers aren't going anywhere for the next few years, despite Murdoch's wishes. That's because the baby boom generation has time and again shown it prefers ink and paper to reading on an electronic device.....The iPad also has many flaws, its main one being it doesn't support Adobe Flash. This sounds like a technical thing that only techies would care about, but I think it could be its Achilles heel. Flash is a program that is used for animation and video on nearly every website. So any site you would want to view on the iPad would have to be adapted. Adapting a site for the iPad is a pain for most developers, and estimates are now that only one per cent of websites are now fully optimized for the iPad. It remains to be seen if the others will adapt......Consumers won't have to wait for websites to be optimized, because in the coming months every computer company is set to release a tablet computer, many of which will be more powerful and include more features.....There seems to be no need for a bigger, slightly more powerful version of the iPhone that doesn't even make calls.

I dunno. The iPod was revolutionary and changed the way people buy and listen to music. The iPad just seems, well, unneeded and unoriginal.

TrojanTeacher
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I agree with Borlax. It seems like another device that costs as much as a Netbook and does less. iPad will definitely flourish; not because of what it does IMO, but because of who makes it. JM2C.

TrojanTeacher
04-08-2010, 11:12 AM
If she has an iPhone, then she could definitely download books on it. Save yourself the money, LOL!

Psalm
04-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I was going to buy an e-reader,and my friend has a kindle and a Sony and they are unable to do as much as the ipad.
I have tried the Iphone reader app...its too small for my eyes.
I think its a great gadget. I have had a touch pad laptop and they have never worked as well as this does.
sure it isn't a full blown computer. But, i didnt buy it for that. I bought it to buy books.surf the web and screw around with apps.
besides it was in my "Toy" budget....lol

StrawHousePig
04-09-2010, 01:28 AM
The description of Flash in that "review" is vastly exaggerated.

I'd rather have a more powerful iPhone, but given the resources I'd nab an iPad. As for power, we recently bought an iMac instead of a PowerMac to replace our dead G5 because sometimes it's best to buy a machine based on what you'll actually use that machine for, not for what it can potentially do once in a while. ie., If you're coming to the iPad with the intention of it being a laptop then of course you'll be sorely disappointed. But as a reader and personal media player/viewer it's top in its class, new as that class may be.

johnboy
04-09-2010, 10:12 AM
All I can say is BOOOOO to everything made by Apple.

Psalm
04-09-2010, 10:37 AM
*starts a fanboy war*

StrawHousePig
04-09-2010, 11:51 AM
And why might that be.

Lumchan
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I bet it's either that Apple is going out of business or they don't have floppy drives. :p

Oops, I forgot about the all my software only runs on Windows reason. =))

johnboy
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
And why might that be.

I just don't like Apple products. Oh yeah and I think they're way overpriced. Don't really like Microsoft either. I try to use as much free software on my laptop as possible, I have an Android phone and I don't need an mp3 player as all the music I need can go on my phone.

Psalm
04-09-2010, 02:08 PM
My wife has an Andriod phone too, and loves it...I suspect you do too?

Borlaxx
04-09-2010, 04:44 PM
I only use eMachines!!!!!!

=)) Worse computers EVER!

DB4
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM

I used to sell computers at Sears. I would always feel bad for people that purchased the eMachine because it was cheaper and I also wasn't allowed to say "Ma'am, this computer you are purchasing is a piece of shit." As far as apple goes, the knock against them in the past was that they were a propietary company and that there wasn't nearly as much software available for th Mac. They have come a long way since then. They have a more expensive product but I truly feel that it is of higher quality. The wife says that we can buy a Mac next year and I am stoked about it.

RATA MUERTA
04-09-2010, 06:26 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! My parents had one of those, it worked for quite awhile. When they got it I thought it wouldn't work for long, I guess we got a good one. =))

johnboy
04-11-2010, 04:21 AM
My wife has an Android phone too, and loves it...I suspect you do too?

Oh yes! It doesn't have as many apps as the iphone but theres only so much you can do with your phone at one time anyway.