PDA

View Full Version : Demons Souls

SlapLaB
04-17-2010, 02:10 PM
It seems like we Europeans will finally get it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/demon ... -this-june (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/demons-souls-due-in-europe-this-june)

It has received a lot of praise on the reviews/forums (best PS3 exclusive, best RPG this gen, etc etc...) but is reputed to be quite difficult (no saves, no pause button (!), no checkpoints...)

Anybody here played it?

Borlaxx
04-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I have not played it and I don't really want to. I have read a few reviews, and although they say the game has some amazing features, some say the game is so difficult it isn't fun. There was a hilarious parady in GameInformer magazine of a sequel for it that was going to be ever harder and would randomly erase your save info and such, and even though it was a parady the last line seemed to make a point by saying something like "so come enjoy the type of game that is challenging because it is cheap instead of because it is well made."

If you end up getting it and liking it let me know, but for now Dragon Age is my go to RPG.

SlapLaB
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM
So you'd recommend Dragon Age, interesting...

I think that same website above rated it 6/10 (which is pretty bad)...
If I remember correctly their criticism was that it's actually quite linear, and that the PS3 controller does not do it justice (better with mouse and keyboard).
In summary it tries to be Baldur's Gate 3 without quite making it...

Borlaxx
04-18-2010, 04:50 PM
I would have to completely disagree with that review, and the fact that they say it is linear is hard to believe given the insane amount of choices, character interaction, and optional side missions. I played the Balder's Gate games, and IMO DA is much better and has one of the best and most in depth stories of any video game I have ever played. I have read that with Demon Souls you either love it or hate it, and I guess that reviewer must of loved it, but I question their opinions if that is what they say about Dragon Age.

SlapLaB
04-19-2010, 06:12 AM
You think DA is even better than Oblivion? :-?

Actually I was wrong about the review, they did not say that it was linear, but they did heavily criticize the gameplay, and also somewhat the graphics.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/drago ... 360-review (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-xbox360-review)

Borlaxx
04-19-2010, 10:15 AM
You think DA is even better than Oblivion? :-?

Actually I was wrong about the review, they did not say that it was linear, but they did heavily criticize the gameplay, and also somewhat the graphics.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/drago ... 360-review (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-xbox360-review)
Never played Oblivion, so can't compare to that one.

Yes, Dragon Age doesn't have the best graphics in the world, and there are some frame rate issues and a few glitches, but nothing game breaking (make sure you turn on the subtitles because every once in awhile a character will say something but the audio doesn't play). I had no problem with the game play. You have one button mapped by default for melee attack, and then the other 3 face buttons can be mapped to whatever ability/spell/item you want, and by pressing one of the shoulder buttons you can set up three more short cuts. The fighting is in real time, but you can bring up a menu at any time during battle that pauses the action and allows you to choose your next move, which comes in really handy for the mage class and for healing.

Let me put it this way. This is the only game in a long time that the characters were so good that I actually cared what happened to them (which my decisions had a direct impact on) and one of the few games in which I would load a prior save and replay a section over and over until I got what I thought was the best result. I put 60+ hours into my first play through because I wanted to know everything about every character and experience every side mission.

SlapLaB
04-19-2010, 10:41 AM
mmm, sounds like a pretty strong endorsement to me ;)
I'll probably pick it up, it's quite cheap now...

I think from what I've read and what you say DA has interesting characters and story lines.
Oblivion is much more "open-world" oriented, but it does not have that many characters you can interact with (you're alone most of the time, for a start).
I probably spent 100hrs+ playing it though (mostly spent looking around and sight-seeing :-" )

Borlaxx
04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Oblivion sounds pretty cool. DA is not an open world like that, so perhaps that is what the reviewer meant by linear. You have to do certain missions, and the order in which you do them is up to the player most of the time, but it isn't like you just travel, find missions, and then do them whenever you want or not at all. There are some side missions that you do not have to do, but most of it is scripted. However, the game is so story and character driven that it has to be this way so the plot advances and makes sense. The non-linear aspect of the game is the decisions you make during those missions, which have a big impact in how the story plays out and the results of the missions, and how you interact with the NPCs, which makes a huge difference in how they respond to you and also affects the plot. For example, if you are really nice to an NPC, they will gain bonuses to their stats because they are inspired by you, and they will open up to you more during conversations and present you with side missions related to their back story if they like you enough. On the other hand, if characters do not like the decisions you make or how you treat them then they may eventually leave your party altogether. Each NPC has their own personality and preferences. I normally travel around with the more "good" and "honorable" NPCs, so I have to do the right thing, even if it isn't the easy thing or the profitable thing. On the other hand, I could travel around with the more selfish NPCs who would have no problem with me intimidating peasants, robbing the church, and killing first and asking questions later. If you have a mix of different personality types in your group it is hard to make everyone happy, and they will even comment positively or negatively based on what you did or said.

SlapLaB
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Sounds similar to Baldur's Gate to me... Nothing bad with scripted (good) adventures.

Sometime these open worlds (Fallout, Oblivion) can be a bit "time-consuming" (spend a lot of time travelling and look for stuff) and some of the missions feel simple (go to the cave and bring back the sword) and not "that" interesting...
Although they've made a lot of progress since Daggerfall (Elder's Scrolls 2) and it's very generic and very boring dungeons... ;)

Borlaxx
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Another thing I like about DA is that the pacing is very good and you only fight enemies when there is a reason for doing so. It isn't like many RPGs when you randomly encounter enemies. Because of this you don't have to spend hours level grinding by walking back and forth in the same area just to fight the same types of enemies dozens of times to level up enough to go to the next area without being slaughtered. That gets really boring to me really quickly. In DA there are no random enemy encounters, and the game is paced well enough to where you will have enough experience to level up for the next area naturally. I do make sure I explore every area of the map in each location to make sure I find all the items and fight all the enemies that are there, and I also do all the optional side missions, so my characters are always at the highest level they can be at in each location, but some areas of the game are still no cake walk, and the final boss literally took me about 30-45 minutes to kill. Another great feature is the ability to save anywhere at any time as long as you are not currently in a battle. Makes it great for putting in the game and playing for a few minutes and then saving again so you can pick up in the exact same location next time, whereas many RPGs with save points require a great deal of time in between save opportunities. My advice is save often, and then save some more. You never know when you will come across a boss that will kick your ass the first time, or come across a conversation with no easy to identify "right" answer and it would suck to have that conversation play out in a way you didn't like just to either have to live with it or load a save from hours earlier.

SlapLaB
04-19-2010, 02:30 PM
My advice is save often, and then save some more.

:D
Yep that's definitely like Baldur's gate then...
Or worst for me was Diablo I think, in which I would literally save every ten seconds or so ;-)

Seriously, thinking about it, to be able to pick up the game for a small period of time is a great feature for us parent gamers... not like in Demons Souls... ;)

Borlaxx
04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
It is no coincidence it is like the Balder's Gate games since it is made by the same people. Basically it is the continuation of the Balder's Gate series, but set in a completely new RPG world, not the AD&D world. They put A TON of time into developing lore and back story for this new world, and I love reading all the codec entries you find that tell you about he history of the world and its people. Even certain weapons and items have a back story so when you are using a particular sword you know it was used by a hero thousands of years ago to save this new world from destruction and such. There is such a great foundation for future games and even books based on some of these codec entries. You can tell they plan on developing this new RPG world to where it is as in-depth at the AD&D world and the world of Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings.

BTW, sorry I took your thread so off topic #-o

SlapLaB
04-20-2010, 02:32 AM

It's all right, you're an admin after all, aren't you? :D

Besides it's still vaguely relevant... ;)

Borlaxx
04-20-2010, 06:49 AM

It's all right, you're an admin after all, aren't you? :D

Besides it's still vaguely relevant... ;)
LOL! There is a reason I got my title and badge L-) 8-}

SlapLaB
04-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Just to say (coming BACK to the topic ;) ) that I've watched the videos on youtube...
for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVxeiLxVajc

The atmosphere looks really dark and nightmarish, awesome art design I think.
Reminds me of Castlevania or Diablo, but even darker...

I'm really tempted... still not sure about the difficulty level though... :-?

SlapLaB
09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Just to say that I finally got it... and it's awesome! :x

Also, it's really not *that* difficult... so far... :D
I only died once in a couple of hours, and that's because I made a rookie mistake (go into a room without my shield raised #-o ;) )

anyone else got it?