PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Up

Jackie R
04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Looking for a little advice here. In terms of ranking, is it best to stick with one class and rank it up all the way before moving on to another one? Conversely, is it more beneficial to rank each class up a little at a time? :-\

sureMOE
04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
It's more your play style. I have seen people rank up one class and unlock everything they can for that class, but there are others like myself that enjoy playing all the classes, so they rank up in a more even fashion. I can't just play engineer or medic or assault or recon...I am too ADD for that. I enjoy the variety that unlocking all the kits at about the same pace gives me when it comes to switching my gameplay strategy on the fly. Especially if your squad really needs a medic, you volunteer and you haven't even unlocked the paddles or health pack yet. If you are looking to rank up as a soldier to get some of the perks that are allocated specifically for that, running a class like medic or engineer can get your points boosting real fast...especially medic. There are also small in game bonus that you can do for yourself to rank up faster. Spot enemies and get points, send squad orders and get points, carry a tracer pistol instead of a handgun and get points for tracing. On defense stick near your M-COM stations and be in the heart of the firefight and you will get a ton of defense pins (each pin gives you at least 100 bonus points towards ranking up). Look at what Insignias you are close to unlocking because they carry between 5k and 10k bonus points as do bronze, silver, gold and platinum stars for weapons and vehicles. Lay down mines while you are defending or attacking on a map with tanks and you will get tons of pins and points just from the collateral damage (plus it creates the huge bonus of keeping those things away from your teammates and squadmates). I have had points ring up 15minutes later on a map that I had laid mines around on. If you are recon toss out tons of motion mines. If you are assault toss out a ton of ammo. If you avoid just shooting everything in sight like it's MW2, and actually engage in the teamplay aspect of the game you will gain a lot more points and rank up quicker.

Sorry, that was a bit rambling! :D

sureMOE!

TrojanTeacher
04-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Personally, I did it one at a time. The more you rank up a class, the better the options. More options = more points...sorta. I started with Medic, then went to Assault, then Engineer, and Recon last. I think Recon is the easiest one to accomplish.

--Teach

CHARGE TO 300J
04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm kinda impartial to rank. Sometimes it does indicate a good player other times not so much. I've been owned more than once by a team that was all rank 1-6. Just play to win by helping the team and the rank will come.
I think there are a few guys that have reached rank 50 then wiped the slate clean and started again for fun. Then your skill level is high and rank is low giving the other team false confidence.
Personally I'm rank 20 something and have days that I play like rank -10 :-" no matter what kit or weapon I have.

I've noticed my inner RAMBO coming out lately and I run to open spaces firing at shadows. Not very smart!!

SlapLaB
04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I did the same, more or less. Started by unlocking the basic gear for all classes (repair tool, motion mines, medkits & paddles, ammo box).

Then I realised I s*cked when I was not playing medic, so I unlocked it all up to the M60.

I went back to the other classes and I realised I didn't s*ck so much, so I unlocked them in random order...

Jackie R
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm leaning towards ranking each a bit at a time. Last night, I played as an engineer for most of the night but got a little tired of it after a while (I guess I have ADD likesureMOE) ;)

Besides, looking at the weapon stats, it would appear that the initial weapons for each class aren't necessarily the weakest ones. This was one of the reasons I thought it might be best to rank up one at a time initially.

dinsdale1978
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
I think ranking up across the classes can be helpful if you have to fill all the roles on a squad from time to time. I know some guys, not in the clan, that have unlocked one class but are pretty useless when they go to another and have no upgrades. I started with Assault and meandered across each class until I got everything.

Now I am constantly switching to get more pins and help my squad when the tactics change.

Onepoint
04-28-2010, 10:35 AM
I pretty much balanced the classes by default as I leveled up, with Recon being last. More by chance than design since I used what worked best playing in the map and squad. Somethings were more important to unlock, like the gadgets than the weapons tom e as well.

unich
04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
I still have to rank up recon and medic...two to go in engineer. I got pretty good at assault and engineer but I know I need to be a player that will benefit my team when needed. The only thing that keeps me back is I dont want my k/d or skill level to go down but I guess that really dosent matter. I think it's more important to be a good help to the team than ranks and k/d's. So tonight when I play it's medic time!! :-ss

soulja
04-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Hard to say, it depends on your style of play. I have yet to rank up my Recon or Medic class because there are too many of these guys already on the battlefield. I can go into any game and I'm almost positive there will be Bigfoots running about and med packs lying everywhere. I try to keep teams balanced...sometimes I feel like I’m at war on the planet Kashyyykk and playing Battlefront instead of Battlefield.

I don’t really play the game for medals, pins, and ribbons… but, when I do get them, they are appreciated. Just play to your strengths and help out in the best way you know how…in time, you can only get better.

Jackie R
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I know some guys, not in the clan, that have unlocked one class but are pretty useless when they go to another and have no upgrades. I started with Assault and meandered across each class until I got everything.
I agree. I mean, what good use is a medic without paddles or an engineer without a drill?

I think it's more important to be a good help to the team than ranks and k/d's.
I feel the same. I find it much more satisfying to get the 'YOUR TEAM WON" screen than it is a high k/d ratio. Of course, maybe I'm just saying that because I can't hit the broadside of a barn. :-"

DayliteMag
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Because I am still new to this game, and pretty much suck I have found that it is easier to stick with one class so that you can unlock some half decent weapons and get comfortable within the game. I did this with the Engineer class and unlocked all of the weapons. I then started to branch out into the other classes, but can always fall back to Engineer if I am struggling. This is one of the strenghts IMHO of BC2, the ability to spawn back with a different kit than you started with. Sometimes I will find myself using two or even three different kits in one game. Just depends on what kind of shit the other side is dishing out. I may start out with a Medic class (just got the Medkit upgrade, now working toward paddles) but find that I really need an RPG, so I will spawn back with my trusty Engineer kit. Hope this helps, but now that I read back on all the comments it seems like a real hodge podge. Just have fun, do your best to support the team and the rest will come. Oh yeah, I have found that it is almost always better to spawn back to a teammate than back at base. This way you can immediately lend a hand to the team without fighting/running/driving all the way back from deployment base. Also, the game is a lot better if you have a mic for communication.

Retro
04-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Because I am still new to this game, and pretty much suck I have found that it is easier to stick with one class so that you can unlock some half decent weapons and get comfortable within the game. I did this with the Engineer class and unlocked all of the weapons. I then started to branch out into the other classes, but can always fall back to Engineer if I am struggling. This is one of the strenghts IMHO of BC2, the ability to spawn back with a different kit than you started with. Sometimes I will find myself using two or even three different kits in one game. Just depends on what kind of **** the other side is dishing out. I may start out with a Medic class (just got the Medkit upgrade, now working toward paddles) but find that I really need an RPG, so I will spawn back with my trusty Engineer kit. Hope this helps, but now that I read back on all the comments it seems like a real hodge podge. Just have fun, do your best to support the team and the rest will come. Oh yeah, I have found that it is almost always better to spawn back to a teammate than back at base. This way you can immediately lend a hand to the team without fighting/running/driving all the way back from deployment base. Also, the game is a lot better if you have a mic for communication.
I've always used assault but I've recently tried out recon, which I love now. I like finding a good spot and just spoting the enemy as getting spot assists. I have yet to even try engineer or medic.
Hopefully once my kids remember where they hid it or I find it, I can start using my mic again!

MrBlitzer72
04-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Hey, just thought i would give my 2 cents on this topic because the way i did it seemed to work very well. Im one of those K/D freaks who believes that a positive K/D means alot as a player. The way that I got the jump on it was that when the game first came out, for 2 weeks, I did nothing but run Bush Wookie L-) . Normally you are gaining alot more kills than deaths if you have good spots to sit in and so forth. Before I moved onto another class, I made sure that I was at least 200 kills to the good on my k/d, and then went to engineer since I had the AK74 unlocked from the VIP package. I put the 4X scope on it, and kept my distance while still accumulating kills. I played that class until everything for the class was unlocked. Then I moved onto Assault, did the same thing, unlocked all the guns and moved right onto medic. This seemed the most balanced way to do it for me, and now my k/d is safe at a 1.45 which is fine for me. Again, each player will find their own strengths and figure out how to manipulate the maps to their advantage. Just wanted to let you know what seemed to work well for me. See ya on the field! :cheers:

Sampsta
04-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I pretty much stuk with two classes at a time slowly building each one up, it doesnt take too long. I just finished my last one the assault class. I agree with some of the previous posts..try them all see what feels best at first and go with it. before you know it others will come.

Borlaxx
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
My KDR sucks as I normally always played as medic and I would put myself in ridiculous situations to try to heal and revive people.

MrBlitzer72
04-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I think anyone can fix their KDR if they dont mind running Wookie. There is alot more to Wookie than a rifle. Especially for this game! And depending on how close your current KDR is to being even, you could fix it in a few days of playing probably. The only reason I started as Wookie was to get a positive KDR, and to get to watch how the maps played. To me, that was the most important thing as far as seeing how the maps play out, but still being able to get some good kills. Think about it...the other night i played wookie on Atacma Desert, we were the attackers, and i sat back at our spawn point picking people off by aiming 2 inches above their heads. I scored over 1200 points in 3 kills with the Marksman bonus. Pretty sweet!

Jackie R
04-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow...I'm really impressed with all the feedback you guys are giving me. There are some really good tips in the posts as well. Much appreciated! :cheers:

jkodrigues
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
i started as recon unlocked everything then went to assault
if u stick to one class you will also unlock the weapons that you can use on any kit some are good like the g3 and then i used it to play as engenier
its prety much an own choice some people like to level and play all kits from the beggining some just go one class at time
and its true recon gives a great k/d ratio and also u learn the basics of the game once u are use to it the other classes wil unlock much easyer

Jackie R
04-29-2010, 05:39 PM
and its true recon gives a great k/d ratio and also u learn the basics of the game once u are use to it the other classes wil unlock much easyer
Yeah, but do I want to be a noob and a wookie all at the same time :-?

Spike Forehand
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I pretty much leveled up evenly across classes with the exception of wookie, which I still hate to play and still have only unlocked 3 of the weapons plus mortar.

Certain minimums you should try to get asap are the defib paddles in the medic class, the AT mines in engineer, and the red dot/scopes for the assault, engineer, and medic classes. Mortars in recon is also nice.

See you on the battlefield -

Spike

jkodrigues
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Yeah, but do I want to be a noob and a wookie all at the same time :-?
just run close to your squade mates always spot and you will be fine,the class you chose its all up to you if your mates help soon you will get the hang of it

DayliteMag
04-30-2010, 09:53 AM
I've never fully understood the KDR obsession. In BC2 I think the whole KDR thing changes in that when you are defending you don't need/want to hold back. For example, when the attackers have set a charge I always run headlong into the action. Approx 50% of the time I will get mowed down, but the other 50% I will disarm the charge...and then get mowed down. Bottomline, I don't want to hang back and see our MCOMM blown because no one was willing to run into the line of fire. Even when I am running a suicde mission into the MCOMM I am creating a distraction and havoc for the attackers which hopefully will create opportunities for my teammates to [a] pick off attackers as they scramble to blow my head off and [b] disarm the charge.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying for a good KDR, in fact, I should probably pay more attention to it - might improve my overall game. I just think that in BC2 it is more challenging to maintain a good KDR (diff from MW2).

Jackie R
04-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I've never fully understood the KDR obsession. In BC2 I think the whole KDR thing changes in that when you are defending you don't need/want to hold back. For example, when the attackers have set a charge I always run headlong into the action. Approx 50% of the time I will get mowed down, but the other 50% I will disarm the charge...and then get mowed down. Bottomline, I don't want to hang back and see our MCOMM blown because no one was willing to run into the line of fire. Even when I am running a suicde mission into the MCOMM I am creating a distraction and havoc for the attackers which hopefully will create opportunities for my teammates to [a] pick off attackers as they scramble to blow my head off and [b] disarm the charge.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with trying for a good KDR, in fact, I should probably pay more attention to it - might improve my overall game. I just think that in BC2 it is more challenging to maintain a good KDR (diff from MW2).
I agree 100%. I never have a problem with anyone who wants to maintain a high k/d ratio as long as that's secondary to the team's goals.

I just hate it when someone plants at our MCOM and nobody even tries to disarm it. :cuss:

Sckrapps
04-30-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree 100%. I never have a problem with anyone who wants to maintain a high k/d ratio as long as that's secondary to the team's goals.

I just hate it when someone plants at our MCOM and nobody even tries to disarm it. :cuss:[/quote]

"Team's goals" is the payoff phrase there, and this is what is so great about playing with other MP's. I'll run in and get mowed down too if other MP's are around, because I know that someone will be trying to help and cover. But when you play with randoms its rarely worth it because you'll just get, well, mowed down. Having a squad you can count on makes all the difference, IMHO.

jkodrigues
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM

i did in the begining played for the k/d but now mostly i play assault and dont give a damme all i want is to win the game,but still for someone thats is just starting to play the game i think the basics is just tag along with your team mates and spot and get some kills and stack some good points