PDA

View Full Version : To Scope or Not to Scope...that is question...

sureMOE
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
(This is about close quarters combat)

So, as I have been having a lot of instances where I have a one on one gun fights with someone, I am coming to notice that I seem to lose a lot in the whole 'draw, partner' type gun fights. One of the things I have been wondering about is that I seem to switch to scope (or steel sights) almost every single gun fight. I am wondering if by leaning on this technique, I am losing out on a run and gun strategy that could help me take out baddies better. So, I wanted to put up this poll and hear your thoughts on the matter...so...nothing but scope?...badass gun slinger?...

TrojanTeacher
05-04-2010, 11:44 AM
For me, it depends on what sort of Recon I want to be. If I want to be a Recon that helps out my squad, I usually will put my M24 with a red-dot. That way I can aim faster and still see my surroundings. If I just want to try to snipe, the I have to scope.

--Teach

soulja
05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Depends on the situation, it takes a fraction of a second to bring up the scope, and that little bit of time can be costly if you suddenly run into an enemy. IMO, scopes are better used when you have the drop on the enemy…be careful thou; it also limits your peripheral vision.

REMEC87
05-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Are you referring to close quarters combat where you round the corner and there's a bad guy looking at you? That is how i interpreted you question...

I always aim or almost always...95% at least. Not sure if hip firing gives you an advantage.

theczech99
05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
When in a confined area such as going in to disarm a charge and there are enemies inside, I always shoot from the hip. This will allow for a better range of motion when trying to take down more than one person. I also aim from the hip when in one of those OH S*** situations. Such as you and an enemy come around a corner and scare the hell out of each other.

TrojanTeacher
05-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I've shot many a teammate when getting surprised and shooting from the hip. L-)

--Teach

MrBlitzer72
05-04-2010, 01:51 PM
I normally run a 4x scope on my assault class but will fire from the hip in close quarters combat. Engineer i run iron sights, Medic I use the T88 with red dot, and Recon I will use the 12x scope on the m24, or the red dot on the type 88 (which has worked awesome for me on Nelson Bay).

When im running any kinda scope and get into a tight situation, i just move my crosshairs shown on the middle of the screen over the enemy and spray. Works most of the time!

geezermdk
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
It depends on what the situation calls for..sometime scope sometimes spray and prey.

I tend to aim stomach area and let the recoil kick up a little to work my way up to the head.

one thing i always tend to do is crouch as i encounter the enemy ......im old school COUNTER STRIKE and that gave you the edge on that game by controlling recoil...old habits die hard but it seems to help on this also.It also creates a smaller profile and some will actually aim to high as you crouch as they are aiming for the head.

bigdaddyj2468
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
i usually equip a 4x on assault. but if the map is more of an urban enviroment i will equip a red dot for quicker aiming. but for real close quarters shoot from the hip.but most times i lose the battle either way. =))

Jackie R
05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Depends on the situation, it takes a fraction of a second to bring up the scope, and that little bit of time can be costly if you suddenly run into an enemy. IMO, scopes are better used when you have the drop on the enemy…be careful thou; it also limits your peripheral vision.
I usually go for the scope instinctively because I can't hit the broadside of a barn from the hip. I agree with you 100% though in that very often, the extra time costs me dearly. http://aerre.pair.com/tagadmin/tag_home/images/smilies/boom.gif

Spike Forehand
05-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I almost always pull the gun up and fire down the sites. Once in a while - if a player surprises me, I willm hip-fire, but probably not often enough. I know many of you have heard me yell at myself for how bad my aim is. That's usually because someone is quicker than me and I did not have time to pull it up and move it into position and squeeze the rounds off before I get iced.

As for outfitting scopes on a weapon, I used to use the 4X on everything, but have since switched to using red-dot with the M60 on Medic, using the 4X scope everywhere else. Usually with medic I am running a little closer to the action going for revives, so I needed something that was quicker to pull up and find the target with.

sureMOE
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I kind of figured that I would get this kind of response. I am saddened to not see any closet wookies voting with their heart quite yet... :-w :)) I never thought about the difference between the scope and the red dot. I am not very intentional about using the scope, especially on a weapon with good iron sights, but I may have to try changing that up a big. I can see the 4x scope giving a disadvantage in close quarters combat (which is where I precariously find myself all too often). Thanks for the participation guys, some good info here! :cheers:

TrOjAn HeX
05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Personally it depends on what lv I am on. More dense close combat I use red dot. Open areas always 12x scope.

imported_BigDaddyPine
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
in that "Oh Sh1t" situation, I usually start spraying towards the enemy immediately AND hit my scope button to dial in my aim. That way I am at least firing in his direction to start with and possibly already landing some shots. Then by the time i get my scope up, he is ether dead, or I can dial in better and finish the deed.

(I also find that I scope-up and 'spot' enemies before firing on them, at least if I get capped someone else can avenge me.)

BrimstonePsycho
05-12-2010, 05:49 PM
just remember, if ur running and gunning or need to hip fire a sniper rifle, the very center of ur tv screen is ur guide. if u need to put a peice of tape there (lmao) then do it. lol. for me im a 50/50. scope for longe to mid range, hip for close up in ur face action lol. ikd, i still suck at being a sniper in video games lol.

CHARGE TO 300J
05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Red dot on everything except GOL. The Gol is the only sniper rifle I use really. On white pass I've found running the VSS with a red dot can be lethal, you can shot the red triangles at long range and have full auto with the red dot for closer combat. +mag ammo.

CELockwood
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I always shoot from the hip with recon at close range. Of course...my k/d ratio with a recon is below 0.5....maybe I should be rethinking this.