PDA

View Full Version : Carl Gustav vs M136 (or: The Allure of Carl)

imported_BigDaddyPine
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
So, I have heard a lot of good things about the Carl Gustav since joining Team MP. But I am curious... is it really better than the M136? I dont know much about the weapons, or their stats... but I always figured that you would unlock bigger/better weapons as your skill/points level progresses. So I am confused, if the Carl better than the M136, then why is it unlocked before the M136?

I like the m136 for its guidance capabilities, but i don't want to be missing out on the fun with Carl. Can someone please explain Carl's allure? (Aside from getting to use its name to make Carl sound like person.)

-Pine

DayliteMag
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure why everyone likes "carl" so much, but I think it may reload faster. That way you can "bring the pain" all that much quicker. Lately, I have been trying to perfect my use of the tracer gun. It is a real challenge trying to "mark" a chopper, but once you do and you start to see those rockets lock on....man, that is the bomb (Iiterally)!

sureMOE
05-09-2010, 08:55 PM
The allure is that Carl Gustav is the master of infantry negotiations. He's meant to be a bunker buster, a building blaster, an anti-personnel weapon. He's AWESOME on maps where it's a tight urban setting and infantry is hiding behind walls or holding up in corners of buildings (Nelson Bay, the town in Arica Harbor, White Pass). He's more powerful, but similar in use to the grenade launcher, but easier to use because he has the fastest trajectory, very little bullet drop (being the stud that he is) and unlike a grenade launcher, you don't have to arc your shot. Using him is pretty much like sniping with rockets...so...much...fun! Now the M136 is a far better anti-tank weapon. Terrible on infantry, it's use is strictly for tanks, and it takes tanks out with two full shots as opposed to 3 to 4 that Carl can take. It has the built in guidance system to help zero in on tanks. It's pretty much like taking one of those stationary TOW missiles that are on numerous maps and carrying it on your shoulder. But...the M136 is pretty terrible for chopper take downs because of it's slow speed. When you are packing Carl, there is no need for a tracer dart (which is uber difficult to tag choppers with) or using a built in guidance system...you just need to learn how to lead the chopper, and you can take it down with one or two shots. I have taken down 4 choppers on Isla of Innocentes in one round before.

That's all you need to know! :)

(PS-The true joy of befriending Carl will be that time when you have a pesky enemy that is playing peek-a-boo in and out of a window, and you put the sights of Carl right on it, let it rip and watch as the wall is blown away, and the guy playing peek-a-boo goes flying through the air! =)) )

imported_BigDaddyPine
05-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Awesome. thanks for the info! I am gonna go try Carl again now.

**Update, Played Rush last night with Ellison and Beeano and was loving Carl. Took down a few choppers, blew through a few walls. It is tricky to gauge how far to lead the choppers when aiming, but when the shots landed it was fabulous. thanks again.

sureMOE
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I am glad to hear you have made a new friend! Enjoy!

TrojanTeacher
05-10-2010, 02:43 PM
I always use CARL when I have to have anything that's propelled at an object. Otherwise, I always arm my C4. There's nothing better than rigging a BRADLEY with C4 and then watching the driver and his squad mates drive away. Just when they start firing...CLICK!

--Teach

Onepoint
05-10-2010, 06:29 PM
The 136 may be better tank buster, but the CG is great for popping up, getting a shot off and getting back to cover in sniper infested rounds. I Like the fire and forget thing about it best.