PDA

View Full Version : Playing Tips

TonkaToys
05-10-2010, 08:59 AM
So I've been doing much better over the last few days and I'm putting it down to sitting closer to my TV :-o

Normally I'd sit about 6-8 feet (2.5m) away from my 32in HD ready LCD.
One of my mates suggested sitting much closer, so this weekend I moved to about 2-3 feet (1m) and immediately got better. @-)
Aside from the fact this probably means I need glasses :-B , I think it is letting me see movement far sooner.

Anyone else tried this or got any tips?
How far do you sit from the telly?

DB4
05-10-2010, 01:19 PM
The distance that you sit from your televesion (which varies depending on its size) is everything. So is your posture. If I am laid back on my couch I will not play nearly as well as if I was sitting up straight. Who would have ever thought that all those times my teachers told me not to slouch in my desk chair was meant so that I may be able to play COD effectively in my adulthood?? Thanks Mrs. Schaffer!! lol

05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Coffee. I play a whole lot better if I am drinking coffee. It makes me all jittery. :-o

Borlaxx
05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
UAV

I know it doesn't kill people, but IMO it is the best killstreak perk. Reason for that being that it is the only perk that benefits everyone on your team instead of just you, so although you may get a couple kills from a predator, or a few kills from an airstrike or chopper, when the UAV is out it can change the momentum of the match immediately for the entire team. It also helps that it is easy to get in comparison to other higher level killstreaks so you will use it a lot more than say a chopper gunner. It seems to me that whenever a team is using UAV a lot they normally win even if one person on the other team has a high KDR and it getting higher level killstreaks, because like I said, it helps your whole team do better, not just one person. I know for sure that when the UAV is up I kill a lot more and die a lot less, and if everyone has it as a killstreak perk it is possible to keep the UAV up most of the match. You just have to keep an eye out for anyone running cold blooded, and if they have to use cold blooded that means they cannot use more offensive perks like stopping power.

05-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Silencers are probably the best attachment for guns (in my opinion). I have gotten triples because people couldn't tell where I was shooting their friends from. I even think they help some weapons with recoil (Tar 21: I use it a lot). Claymores are also my best friend whenever I play. I can not count how many kills I have gotten from those things or how many times I have used them as an early warning device.

Psalm
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
All great advice!!!
I have to agree a lot with Borlax...UAV's are the most underrated KS perk out there. A lot of great players would NOT get their nukes if it were not for the 3-4-5 KS guys sending out UAV's all the time. I like to always have UAV's set... I am not a big KS kinda guy... I would rather go 20-10 in a match and get 3 or 4 UAV's then the big killstreaks.

BostonIrish
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Since I started using silencers a few days ago, I have noticed that I've been getting killed a LOT less. That along with ninja pro seems to be really helping my game.

Borlaxx
05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
All great advice!!!
I have to agree a lot with Borlax...UAV's are the most underrated KS perk out there. A lot of great players would NOT get their nukes if it were not for the 3-4-5 KS guys sending out UAV's all the time. I like to always have UAV's set... I am not a big KS kinda guy... I would rather go 20-10 in a match and get 3 or 4 UAV's then the big killstreaks.
Agreed. If I am playing FFA or with randoms I don't care as much, but if I am part of a team of MPs I would rather use the perk that benefits the whole team rather than just my KDR.

Psalm
05-11-2010, 10:43 AM
All great advice!!!
Agreed. If I am playing FFA or with randoms I don't care as much, but if I am part of a team of MPs I would rather use the perk that benefits the whole team rather than just my KDR.
yeah, I still find that I usually get a good KDR with 3(UAV) 4(carepackage) and 5 (pred)...the more KS rewards you get usually the more kills you get...besides if you call in 3 to 4 Care packages a game..you are bound to get a few good ones.

Oh...tactical setup.. It has changed me from a under 1.00 KDR to 1.09 and rising... I am easily averaging 1.5 most games by using the dropshot and the avoiding the knifing.

Borlaxx
05-11-2010, 10:54 AM
yeah, I still find that I usually get a good KDR with 3(UAV) 4(carepackage) and 5 (pred)...the more KS rewards you get usually the more kills you get...besides if you call in 3 to 4 Care packages a game..you are bound to get a few good ones.
I have been running with the 3(UAV), 5(pred) and 7(airstrike with harrier) with a lot of success. I haven't used the carepackage recently as I don't like giving away my location or running the chance that some asshole on my team takes my perk. Also, since I pretty much run exclusively with Scavenger Pro, I have absolutely no need of the ammo drop which it seems to be a lot of the time.

BostonIrish
05-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Going to have to check out the drop shot thing. One problem that I've been having somewhat often is accidentally hitting the R3 button when I'm trying to shoot. So instead of shooting at somebody, I'm swinging a knife in the air like a fool! Maybe if I switch to tactical, that little mistake can be made to work to my advantage.

DB4
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Going to have to check out the drop shot thing. One problem that I've been having somewhat often is accidentally hitting the R3 button when I'm trying to shoot. So instead of shooting at somebody, I'm swinging a knife in the air like a fool! Maybe if I switch to tactical, that little mistake can be made to work to my advantage.

I have the same problem with mashing the R3 button (and I use the Tactical layout). I would have to say that sometimes it works to my advantage and sometimes it does not. However, if I was accidentally meleeing all the time, it would always be to my disadvantage.

RATA MUERTA
05-11-2010, 11:18 AM
All great advice!!!
I was going to comment that I depend on the people on my team to be running the 3-4-5 or at least a UAV so that I don't have to worry about it. I do occasionally run the 3-4-5 but that is when I want to get the care packages to help finish challenges.

Another huge help to me, the SHOTGUNS, learn them, love them and they will get you out of some sticky situations!!!

DB4
05-11-2010, 11:32 AM
For Search and Destroy:

I would like to introduce everyone to a little thing called Scoreboard (SELECT BUTTON on ps3). The scoreboard is very important in Search and Destroy. Why? Because you can tell who is still alive and who is dead (or spectating). If you see dogtags next to someone's name it means that they are no longer active. This is very important because you will be able to strategize your gameplay based on the number of players left in the match.

Psalm
05-11-2010, 11:35 AM
using tactical i got my first commando "swing and miss" last night....he lunged at me and I dropped and moved left and promptly shotty blasted him as he was knifing...such a good feeling to smoke a "kommando kiddie"

Borlaxx
05-11-2010, 11:39 AM
using tactical i got my first commando "swing and miss" last night....he lunged at me and I dropped and moved left and promptly shotty blasted him as he was knifing...such a good feeling to smoke a "kommando kiddie"
Never done that, but had one last night try to jump and knife me from the rocks you can hide behind outside the side entrance of the main bunker in the middle of the map on Afgan. I caught his dumb ass in midair and got my SkeetShooter title B-) T-bagged him for good measure, LOL!

Psalm
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Never done that, but had one last night try to jump and knife me from the rocks you can hide behind outside the side entrance of the main bunker in the middle of the map on Afgan. I caught his dumb ass in midair and got my SkeetShooter title B-) T-bagged him for good measure, LOL!
lol....I love getting assisted suicides as well

TrOjAn HeX
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
I love using my spaz with grip. Me and that shotty go to town on anyone unfortunate to cross my path ;)

Psalm
05-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I love using my spaz with grip. Me and that shotty go to town on anyone unfortunate to cross my path ;)
yes,yes...the spaz is a filthy little beast.

TonkaToys
05-12-2010, 03:58 AM
For Search and Destroy:

I would like to introduce everyone to a little thing called Scoreboard (SELECT BUTTON on ps3). The scoreboard is very important in Search and Destroy. Why? Because you can tell who is still alive and who is dead (or spectating). If you see dogtags next to someone's name it means that they are no longer active. This is very important because you will be able to strategize your gameplay based on the number of players left in the match.

Like it. Always good to know how many baddies are still alive - especially if you are the last alive on your team.

DB4
05-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Claymores:

Claymores do not disappear when you die. They disappear when you respawn. If you have one of your claymores nearby you after Mr. Commando Pro tac-knifes you, watch your kill cam for as long as possible. Those extra seconds in limbo could mean an Afterlife Kill.

Trez
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Great tip DB4. that's one of my favorite kills to get while spectating in S&D and waiting to respawn in HC or Sab.

TonkaToys
05-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Good tip DB4. Took me a while to figure that out - love getting that Afterlife bonus.

When placing claymores and using Scavenger to pick up more, I think you can only have 3 active claymores on the map. Placing another seems to cause the oldest claymore to harmlessly explode (shame it doesn't cause damage).

05-13-2010, 07:27 AM
I had no idea about the dog tags. Thank you for that very valuable tip. I did know about the claymores. That could be a good thing if you lay one down and then die. Also, if you are playing hardcore s and d, when there are gunshots fired you can bring up the map with start and see where they are coming from if your oppenent isn't using a silencer. In S and D I tend to use bling with my weapon so I can add a silencer and a dirty heartbeat sensor. Thought I would pass that along. Have a great day. :D

Borlaxx
05-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Moving as a group. If we stick together in a pack it is very hard for someone on the other team to get a high killstreak going because they may get one or two of us, but normally someone else will take them out if we stick together. Too many people (myself included) play TDM like it is FFA.

BostonIrish
05-13-2010, 08:44 AM
I pay close attention to the green arrows (your teammates) on the map. If a teammate that is close by gets killed (especially by a silenced weapon or by a knife) you can get a quick heads up that somebody is coming around the corner. This is really useful when you are in a building. I have also noticed with a headset on, I can clearly hear the swish sound when somebody gets knifed in another room.

05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Just got done playing a few matches of search and destroy (in which I sucked it up) and used the dog tag tip to see how many enemies were coming to kill me. Great tip. I just wish I were a better player. I might then be able to pull off one of the 5 v 1 clutches. Have a great day :D

DB4
07-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I have been playing A LOT of Sabatoge lately in the attempt to complete the Sabatoge Victor III Challenge (50 Wins), which I finally completed. While playing I came upon a nice little strategy to secure a victory a few seconds earlier. In Sabatoge it takes 3 seconds to defuse the bomb. So obviously, if there is 3 seconds remaining on the ticker and nobody has started to defuse the bomb you will win the match. What I have been doing when my team is defending and the clock is winding down to about 10 to 8 seconds is I will put a care package marker right on the bomb. This will narrow the window of opportunity for the other team to defuse the bomb by a good 5 seconds or so. Basically, if they try to defuse a care package is going to fall right on them. Even if you don't get the care package kill just having the flair activited will typically slow down the enemies advancement.

Oh, if they happen to steal you package before the match is over...the match is pretty much over anyway so it doesn't matter. :devil:

I think that this strategy is one of the fuew ways that you will be able to complete the Heads Up! Challenge without it just being all about luck. I got my 3rd CP kill in 3 days (2 of them using this particular strategy).