PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo May Charge for Online

Borlaxx
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Just read this (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6261605.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B2) on Gamespot. Apparently the big wigs at Nintendo are disucussing the possibility of charging for either premium features or online access in general in the future. No set plans, and no mention if it would be for the wii or the next Nintendo system.

I see this as part pro, part con. The pro could be that Nintendo is actually looking into make a real online structure like the PSN or XBox Live rather than the bare bones set up it has now on the Wii, which would make online gaming on a Nintendo system much better. The con is that what is now free would then be a fee based service, but I have to assume that would not be until the next system as there is no way they could justify charging for the limited wii online functions as they are today.

Either way, probably a long way off, if it ever happens at all.

StrawHousePig
05-10-2010, 01:15 PM
There has been WFC (Wi-Fi Connection) pay-to-play for some 3rd party games for a couple years now, so it's not that far off. Never tried it so no idea if Nintendo bills that. Could be that the infrastructure for a paid service is in place.

My hope is that it offers online user authentication for "digital" software instead of locking them to a single machine.