PDA

View Full Version : The Carbonated Beverage Question

Trez
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Since we come from all over, and regional dialects are so distinct, I thought this would be an interesting poll.

Optional information--please state what region of the US or other country you are from.

Psalm
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I call it soda...I grew up in New York. But, I live here in Kansas City where most people (as you already know Trez) call it pop.

DayliteMag
05-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't think you are looking for individual beverage choices, but I gotta' say that in my house we are in love with Coke Zero. IMHO it tastes almost exactly like the real thing. Such a huge improvement over Diet Coke. :-bd

RATA MUERTA
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
I choose "soda" but I am partial to saying Coke because my husband works for Coca-Cola. :D

* I totally agree Daylight, I am against everything diet but I love what they have done with Zero it is delicious!!

0313Gunner
05-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm in the California Bay Area now and I say soda, however, I grew up in Oregon and we all called I coke there. I was fairly torn for my answer, so I chose what I call it now.... SODA!

Trez
05-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Interesting, I grew up in Texas and used to say Coke. Now I say Soda. I have to agree Coke Zero is the best! We don't ever have the stuff in our house but I love it occasionally. At Sonic I usually go with a cherry or vanilla Dr.Pepper, easy ice. ;)

CELockwood
05-18-2010, 09:41 AM
I live in KY and for some reason, I say soda though it's not common here. Most folks say pop.

RATA MUERTA
05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
I live in KY and for some reason, I say soda though it's not common here. Most folks say pop.
My grandfather was from Kentucky and when we went there I remember everyone referring to soda as "pop" I think it's a southern thing.

StrawHousePig
05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Grew up in New Mexico where they're all Coke. Like Band-Aid (adhesive bandage) or Kleenex (facial tissue).

"Want a Coke?"
"Sure, whaddaya got?"
"Pepsi."
;)

Borlaxx
05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm in Florida, and I call it liquid garbage.......

CELockwood
05-18-2010, 10:16 AM
My grandfather was from Kentucky and when we went there I remember everyone referring to soda as "pop" I think it's a southern thing.

Agreed. Where in KY?

RC-1136
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I voted for "soda", but being from nothern NJ I often hear it cold "Soder". Don't know why.

johnboy
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Most of the people where I live call it pop. Don't know about the rest of the UK. I call most colas 'coke', even if it's Pepsi. Sorry guys I think that Coke Zero is even worse than diet Coke. The only sugarless cola I can drink is Pepsi Max.

0313Gunner
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
"Want a Coke?"
"Sure, whaddaya got?"
"Pepsi."
;)

That is too funny. I have had this exact same conversation numerous times growing up. Even in resturants they would say that same phrase.

TrojanTeacher
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm no Souther Califronia (Los Angeles County) and I call it Soda. Usually in restaurants I'll order a Diet Coke and they ask me if Diet Pepsi is okay. I say "No, but I'll have it anyway." I hate Pepsi.

RC-1136
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Most of the people where I live call it pop. Don't know about the rest of the UK. I call most colas 'coke', even if it's Pepsi. Sorry guys I think that Coke Zero is even worse than diet Coke. The only sugarless cola I can drink is Pepsi Max.

Hey. I'm drinking a Coke Zero right now. It is awesome.

DayliteMag
05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Just finished my lunch, and guess what I had to drink....yup, a Coke Zero! This stuff is 'da bomb!

RATA MUERTA
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Just finished my lunch, and guess what I had to drink....yup, a Coke Zero! This stuff is 'da bomb!
LMAO!! I am having a glass now with lunch too. :))

Trez
05-18-2010, 01:13 PM
LOL! Not another fanboy flame war!!!!! :))

Psalm
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Cokezero FTW!!!

Borlaxx
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
LOL! Not another fanboy flame war!!!!! :))
I think Pepsi has a better online community......... :-" O:-) ;)

iheartpain
05-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Live in Oregon, grew up all over the West Coast, parents call it pop, I call it soda, but my wife calls it pop :-w just to bug me. lol :)

I'm in Florida, and I call it liquid garbage.......

I have to agree with B...friends and I call a soda a "can-'O-corn" since they're all mostly HCFS (high-fructose corn syrup), which is corn-derived. :))

I've probably had fewer than 5 cans of soda in the last 10 years! :D

Now beer, on the other hand....oh wait, that's ANOTHER carbonated beverage ;)

TrojanTeacher
05-18-2010, 01:37 PM
I think Pepsi has a better online community......... :-" O:-) ;)

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Probably cuz Coke makes you pay to log-in.

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

By the way, Pepsi has a soda out right now called Pepsi Throwback. It's made with ACTUAL sugar. Yep.
Tastes like it did when I was a kid. Really brings back some memories of bottled soda (or pop, soder, cola, etc.)

Lumchan
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Where I grew up in Utah we say "soda pop" or just soda or just pop. Mostly soda pop though. Would you like a soda pop? Now Otter has me always saying coke though. =))

TrojanTeacher
05-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Most of my family from south of the border always ask for a "Pek-si".

johnboy
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
POP POP POP PEPSI MAX POP POP POP FTW!!!!!

Lumchan
05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I voted for "soda", but being from nothern NJ I often hear it cold "Soder". Don't know why.

Because R is a very important consonanr. :p :))

billybobeatemup
05-18-2010, 05:34 PM
if your going for actual pop its mountain dew all the way. and not the crappy flavored mountain dew.

Major Stains
05-18-2010, 05:45 PM
:D I have a serious Coke habit!
If it doesn't rot your guts, then whats the point.
We call it Lardy Coke or Full Fat. Anything else is just second best IMO.

Retro
05-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Pop!

And I have a major Dr. Pepper addiction. So much so that I have to make a trip down to Buffalo every few months to get a few cases of Dr. Pepper Cherry.

LandShark
05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
west Texans call it coke.

RC-1136
05-19-2010, 08:35 AM
if your going for actual pop its mountain dew all the way. and not the crappy flavored mountain dew.

I love Diet Mt Dew. It keeps me awake at the wheel during my 45 minute drive home from work.

=T4NUKI=
05-19-2010, 08:52 AM
We French Canadians call it "Liqueur" as in " Qui c'est qui veut un bon verre de liqueur !" :)) Seriously , my Granma used to call it so... At home the wife and I call it "a lil'coke" even though we drink diet pepsi lime...
On another level, when I think about it, my answer to the carbonated beverage question is : Beer ! :cheers:

DB4
05-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Soda.

Dr. Pepper pwns. Lol. Actually Dr. Pepper also tastes the best out of a can. Seriously.

Retro
05-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Soda.

Dr. Pepper pwns. Lol. Actually Dr. Pepper also tastes the best out of a can. Seriously.
Damn right!

Have you tried Dublin Dr. Pepper?

DB4
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Dublin dr. Pepper? If you are talking about the alcoholic kind, then yes. Can't say i ever heard the term "dublin dr. Pepper" though.

Retro
05-20-2010, 05:10 PM
Dublin dr. Pepper? If you are talking about the alcoholic kind, then yes. Can't say i ever heard the term "dublin dr. Pepper" though.
It's from Dublin Texas, it the orginal recipe made with cane sugar.

johnboy
07-17-2010, 05:07 PM
:D I have a serious Coke habit!
If it doesn't rot your guts, then whats the point.
We call it Lardy Coke or Full Fat. Anything else is just second best IMO.

Must be a British thing as I call anything with sugar 'full fat'. I like Iron Bru, being from near the border with Jockland its sold almost everywhere. It's also v good hangover cure. I also drink quite a lot of Vimto and also Dandelion and burdock or DnB as we call it mostly. And for the alcoholic carbonated beverage its got to be Strongbow (cider).

MoreCowBell87
07-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I am originally from the south (Houston, TX and West Melbourne, FL). Now I don't know about y'all but when I was growing up, any type of soda was considered 'coke'. If you came to my house and said you wanted a coke, you might just end up with whatever is in the fridge not necessarily a coke.