PDA

View Full Version : Red for a week...

imported_BigDaddyPine
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Just picked up RDR from my local library... So I 'v got it for a week. I was not a huge GTA fan, but I did enjoy the little I did play. My question is regarding how to best spend my time with the game. I am most interested in the multiplayer, but am I gonna suck if I don't play the SP a bit first?

Advice?

Borlaxx
06-24-2010, 05:38 PM
IMO the online play is a poor immitation of the single player game. All the stuff you can do in mutiplayer you can also do in single player except the death match type modes, which really aren't as satisfying as a FPS for the same type of experience. In the single player you have a lot more to do than in MP. The single player story is also excellent, and there is no plot in MP. I will likely never play MP again, but I may very well play SP several time. The only problem I can see for you is that the single player game is pretty long and you may not be able to finish it is a week. Can you renew it like I can at my library?

imported_BigDaddyPine
06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply B. It really does sound like an interesting game and i definitely want to see what all the hype is about. Looks like i will definitely start with the SP for a bit. I am not sure about renewing, I will have to check with my library. I suppose it really depends on if I like the game enough to want to finish it. (the last game i played to completion was the original Bionic Commando. :) ) My gaming window is pretty small, so this game is gonna have to knock my socks off to keep me off of the Battlefield for too long. Gitty up!!

see ya on the range.

theczech99
06-25-2010, 08:41 AM
If you play SP and stick to the MISSIONS ONLY, you might be able to finish in a week. When a stranger appears or someone asks for help just keep going. None of these are needed to complete the story. There is only one stranger mission needed to complete the game and it will appear in Black Water after all missions are completed.

Jackie R
06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
I played the MP for a couple of weeks before even trying the SP. I try to alternate between the 2 but I can never seem to find someone to play online with except for Czech recently (and he's gone for the next week). Quite a shame because I really enjoy playing online with MP members. The general public is hit and miss at best.

That being said, everything Borlax said is true (at least from what I have seen so far). The campaign is VERY intriguing and the way things just happen out of the blue (like the way strangers just ask you for help out of nowhere as Czech pointed out) is brilliant!

I don't think that you would be at a huge disadvantage if you jumped right into the online portion of the game (especially playing 'casual' games as I do), but I would recommend that you play the SP if you only have the game a limited amount of time. In my opinion, giving RDR back without playing a good portion of the campaign would be doing yourself a huge disservice. http://theadultgamer.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

dinsdale1978
06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Just picked up RDR from my local library... So I 'v got it for a week. I was not a huge GTA fan, but I did enjoy the little I did play. My question is regarding how to best spend my time with the game. I am most interested in the multiplayer, but am I gonna suck if I don't play the SP a bit first?

Advice?

What library can your check out games? I am curious how common this is. I am a librarian so I am always curious how things are changing.

Borlaxx
06-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Advice?

What library can your check out games? I am curious how common this is. I am a librarian so I am always curious how things are changing.
The library I check them out at is the Winter Park Public Library in Winter Park Florida. Membership is free for people who live in the city, but everyone else has to pay $100+ a year to be a member. If I remember correctly, it was rated the #1 library in FL last year. Three stories of books, movies, video games and CDs. I have checked out many CDs of bands I like that are not mainstream at all (Fear Factory, Lamb of God, The Dillinger Escape Plan, etc). Most of the game selection is pretty picked over every time I go, but have been able to get a couple gems like Burnout Paradise (have right now) and even got to play Uncharted 2, the game of the year for 2009 for all systems, for free by checking it out from here. The game rentals are only for one week, but as long as no one puts a hold on them I can renew it 4 times, so basically I can have a game for 5 weeks.

imported_BigDaddyPine
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
My library is the Ela Area Public Library (eapl.org) (their web catalog kinda blows, but you can query: (Playstation 3) or query (Wii) and get all their games. you can not reserve online for games (books and DVD and blueray you can) so for games it is first come first served. I am in there a couple of times a month with the kiddos so i always check the game area to see if there are and goodies in stock.

(B, props for Fear Factory!) One of my first major promos I cut for our website back in the day was set to FF. (you can tell how long ago it was by the horrendous URL. It was done on an old school non linear system... major cheese.
[yt:16m0dxrk]E8H71HyfWF4[/yt:16m0dxrk]
(lol, i just watched this promo for the first time in a year. man, they let us put anything on the air back then.)

Borlaxx
06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I know this is off topic and should be in the music thread, but have you checked out their new album Mechanize? Fucking awesome!!!

imported_BigDaddyPine
06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I know this is off topic and should be in the music thread, but have you checked out their new album Mechanize? Fucking awesome!!!
Thanks B, i have not heard any new FF in a while, they have been off my radar lately. I will check out the new album this week! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/images/smilies/headbang.gif

In other news... been on the trail a bit. Only have 2 hours under my belt, but so far it has been an interesting ride.

imported_BigDaddyPine
07-01-2010, 08:53 AM
The game went back to the library today. (1 week checkout, no renewal on games) Much like the GTA games, it was a cool novelty to run around and cause mayham, but it is not something I could put too much time on. So anywhoo, thanks for getting my interested in RDR, it was cool for a bit. Yee Haw!

Spike Forehand
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I am a librarian so I am always curious how things are changing.

Damn - a librarian who's also a stone-cold killer on the battlefield and in the wild west. #somuchforsteroetypes

Jackie R
07-14-2010, 08:40 PM
I am a librarian so I am always curious how things are changing.

Damn - a librarian who's also a stone-cold killer on the battlefield and in the wild west. #somuchforsteroetypes
No kidding. I would hate to be the guy who brings back his book late. http://aerre.pair.com/tagadmin/tag_home/images/smilies/beatdown.gif