PDA

View Full Version : Recon Set Up

ProfUnderDog
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Those of you I've played rush with lately, know that I've been working on Teach and Blitz's C4 tactic. Instead of assault, I've been running Recon, and found an interesting "glitch." When I equip extra explosives so I can carry 6 sticks of C4, that means I can't equip the 12x scope or any other scope for that matter. The first time I did this I thought I'd be shooting iron sights on the VSS, but surprise, surprise, it had a nice magnified scope. BTW in hardcore this has become my favorite setup because you are actually useful in close combat, but can reach out long range as well, and the fact that it is underpowered doesn't really matter (Normal mode is a little more challenging for the long shots as typically the enemy will hide after you hit them three times).

I've also tried this with the M95 and found that I get the exact same scope as I would when I equip 12x. Am I missing something or should recon really never bother to equip the scope as carrying extra c4, ammo, or grenades is always more useful?

Retro
07-07-2010, 05:11 PM
All sniper rifles have a scope equiped, they just don't have the same powerful zoom as a 12X.

ProfUnderDog
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Thank Retro,

I've looked at this a bit now, and it really depends upon the rifle. Some are equipped with what is probably the equivalent of a 4x scope by default, others 6x, and 10x. There is some suggestion that the 88 is actually equipped with a 12x by default. Depending upon how you play recon this suggests that for many if not most maps, you really need to consider whether you want one of the other perks. You can tell the difference in a side by side comparison, but the 12x scope may not really have that much of an impact for actual game play. Just a suggestion of other MPs want to run c4 or other things that go boom.

DayliteMag
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Thank Retro,

I've looked at this a bit now, and it really depends upon the rifle. Some are equipped with what is probably the equivalent of a 4x scope by default, others 6x, and 10x. There is some suggestion that the 88 is actually equipped with a 12x by default. Depending upon how you play recon this suggests that for many if not most maps, you really need to consider whether you want one of the other perks. You can tell the difference in a side by side comparison, but the 12x scope may not really have that much of an impact for actual game play. Just a suggestion of other MPs want to run c4 or other things that go boom.

Thanks for the tips UD. Good fun last night. I'm sure the baddies were cursing us something fierce on a couple of C4 moments ;) Particularly on Port Valdez, first set of MCOMs when we only had about 15 tickets left and blew B with the UAV/C4 combo. KABOOOM!

sam007
07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Beano coined my Recon set up as an "Assault Wookie"

Here's what you'll need to get in the fight up close and personal.

any CQB primary, I prefer the USAS-12 or SAIGA, 6 sticks of C4 and either magnum ammo or charged up explosives.

Attacker, support the advance and protection of the MCOM when armed with Motion mines. Use the mini map and get an advantage. FYI, you KNOW someone will attempt to disarm, so get creative with the C4.

Defence, protect the MCOM, which means you'll need to stick close to it, no running around looking for them cause you KNOW where they need to get to, you just don't know the route. Keep a Motion Mine on the objective cause someone can sneak through the lines, they need to move towards the MCOM so they will trigger the motion mine. It helps if there are more guns in the area to take them down. If there is armour in the stage, use your C4 to blow them up, if there are fast moving vehicles, place C4 on the deck and blow them up when they are on top of the C4. Its hit or miss, but you know where they need to go, you just don't know their route. Tip, theres no point in protecting the MCOM if it can be taken down by destroying the building, focus your attention on ones which they need to get close to, let the rest of the team go run around. Protect the possible ways into the MCOM with motion mines.

but most of all its fun shooting them in the face up close with your shooty. Use your secondary when they are too far for the shotgun to be effective.

So far this has been working well when playing with MP members, our defence has been better when everyone is clicking, which means the whole team, they will eventually catch on by sticking close to the MCOM, its almost impossible for them to breach the line and get close if you stick with the plan. If they are smart, they will counter your Motion Mines with their own, so then it boils down to more guns in the area.

I went this route cause I got sick of getting C4ed when defending cause we did it so often to them.

DayliteMag
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I like the G3 with Magnum Ammo, but I am usually conflicted whether to take the MK2 additional boom perk or the Mag Ammo. One thing is certain, which ever perk I do equip I will be cursing myself wishing I had the other one.

DayliteMag
09-18-2010, 03:54 PM
This afternoon I was lone-wolfing some Conquest on Nelson Bay. I have been trying to work on my Recon skillz (which have been pretty non-existent). I wanted to try out Sniperella's ridge (reached by parachute when deploying from the Russian AO). I have previously noted that the snow-glare on Nelson Bay was rendering my 12X scope pretty useless at long distance. Anyway, I was trying out the SV98 rifle, which doesn't seem to get much press in the various forums and seems pretty much "forgotten". Well, it seems as though the "snow-glare" is greatly reduced when using the SV98 - at least that was my impression. Interested to see what others think.

Oh yeah, I was also able to get my C4 insignia by chucking bricks of C4 off of Sniperella's ridge and when the attackers came looking for the "hidden wookie"....KABOOM! Killed the same two guys four times before they finally gave up and went to a different flag. Very satisfying watching them running around trying to figure out where I was and totally oblivious to the fact that they were sitting on top of C4.

sniperella
09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
This afternoon I was lone-wolfing some Conquest on Nelson Bay. I have been trying to work on my Recon skillz (which have been pretty non-existent). I wanted to try out Sniperella's ridge (reached by parachute when deploying from the Russian AO). I have previously noted that the snow-glare on Nelson Bay was rendering my 12X scope pretty useless at long distance. Anyway, I was trying out the SV98 rifle, which doesn't seem to get much press in the various forums and seems pretty much "forgotten". Well, it seems as though the "snow-glare" is greatly reduced when using the SV98 - at least that was my impression. Interested to see what others think.

Oh yeah, I was also able to get my C4 insignia by chucking bricks of C4 off of Sniperella's ridge and when the attackers came looking for the "hidden wookie"....KABOOM! Killed the same two guys four times before they finally gave up and went to a different flag. Very satisfying watching them running around trying to figure out where I was and totally oblivious to the fact that they were sitting on top of C4.

Teach may have trees, but...

I

HAVE

A

RIDGE!

YYYYEEEESSSS!

Toxic Avenger72
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Teach may have trees, but...

I

HAVE

A

RIDGE!

YYYYEEEESSSS!

Is this the one in Nelson Bay I've been hearing about?

DayliteMag
09-19-2010, 10:18 AM
@Toxic: Yes, Nelson Bay. If you are the Russian team your deployment involves parachuting into the Map. If you pull far left you can see the ridge line that runs pretty much the entire length of the map. You can land on the ridge and then move forward to have a good sniping position for Alpha and Charlie. You can engage in some "de-forestation" with mortars which will allow even better line of site to the targets. I also really like throwing C4 off of the ridge and blowing up the baddies as they come looking for me.

While on the topic of Nelson Bay. It is also lots of fun to place C4 in front of the Building at Delta (either by the concrete blocks and/or around the downed, smoldering chopper) and wait for the advancing enemy to approach Delta...tick, tick, tick...KABOOM!! The added bonus is that you may also take out a few trees at the same time.

TrojanTeacher
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I gotta show you guys to two hidden ridges near the middle of Nelson Bay, you guys would love those.

DayliteMag
09-20-2010, 12:46 PM
I gotta show you guys to two hidden ridges near the middle of Nelson Bay, you guys would love those.

I am literally salivating over this post. At the same time, I can show you guys a sneaky little spot that I have been using near to Delta. You can deploy C4 and blow up a bunch 'o baddies and then when they come "tag hunting" you can pick them off for quite awhile before they find you. It's one of those "hiding in plain sight" type spots.

theczech99
09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Laguna Presa 3rd set of mcoms behind A there is a hill. I saw a sniper that was on my team on top of this hill. Not a half way up the hill but on the very top. Does anyone know how to get up there? :-? I was thinking he may have got there by running over the top of the hill from the other side.

TrojanTeacher
09-20-2010, 02:02 PM
I know, but you'll have to switch to the 360 side to find out. MUAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

Okay, I'll tell ya, Once the third set of MCOM's is take, run back to the first set and go to the opposite side of the hill that you're talking about. There is a HUGE tree next to a slope that you can run up on. It's tough to do, but once you get there, just run across the hill to the other side and BAM! easy sniping spot. People like me always look up there for snipers...so it may not be the safest place to shoot from. One shot one kill will keep you alive. Firing like crazy will kill you.

DayliteMag
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I know, but you'll have to switch to the 360 side to find out. MUAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!

Okay, I'll tell ya, Once the third set of MCOM's is take, run back to the first set and go to the opposite side of the hill that you're talking about. There is a HUGE tree next to a slope that you can run up on. It's tough to do, but once you get there, just run across the hill to the other side and BAM! easy sniping spot. People like me always look up there for snipers...so it may not be the safest place to shoot from. One shot one kill will keep you alive. Firing like crazy will kill you.

Even with this very detailed description, I don't think I could find the spot. Next time we are attacking that map perhaps you could take us on one of your famous guided tours?

TrojanTeacher
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah, that was one of my posts that is worthless without a picture. LOL!! Daylite, next time we're on, we'll go there so you can see it. It's such a beautiful view. You feel like you should just pull out a lounge chair, a bit of lemonade, bring out the sun tan lotion and snipe people. :D

sniperella
09-20-2010, 08:10 PM

You just had to ruin my moment didn't ya?? X( Thanks, poopie-head! :p You have to take all the glory, that's okay, what goes around comes around, one of these days I am going to take my revenge upon you, and relish your blood covered tags! >:D >:D >:D

;)

TrojanTeacher
09-21-2010, 12:39 PM
Not stealing the glory, just adding to your hiding places. I've seen the ridge you talk about, and it's great as it has nice mounds to hide behind. Most people never look that way either, so it is definitely worth it. Underdog (or Freak) has seen the middle ridge near fenced hill at the second set of MCOM's. After the 2nd set there is a little nitch that you can jump on a mountain on the way to the third set of MCOM's and give a good sniping point. It provides excellent views of the hill where people jump down and swim to the ladders in the water. It also allows you to snipe all the people just trying to get into the area with the 3rd set of MCOM's. I gotta show them to you guys because holding those ridges provides lots of kills which = less tickets for them. As always, one shot, one kill and always kill the trailing soldier.

CELockwood
09-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Even with this very detailed description, I don't think I could find the spot. Next time we are attacking that map perhaps you could take us on one of your famous guided tours?

I can take you as well, as Teach showed me how to get there one day. Be prepared with a 12X and a steady hand though. Those are some long distance shots from up there, and quite difficult for the amateur sniper (me).

Retro
09-21-2010, 03:08 PM
hehehe Teach said..

..nice mounds..

TrojanTeacher
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
I knew it! I was hesitant to write that, but that's what they are, right? Mounds?

ProfUnderDog
09-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Huge tracks of .... land? =)) =)) =)) =))

CELockwood
09-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Huge tracks of .... land? =)) =)) =)) =))

Do they smell of elderberries!