PDA

View Full Version : DLC plans for the future

dinsdale1978
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6781/announcing_new_downloadable_content_plans_for_red_ dead_redemption.article

Today, we are proud to announce plans for an ongoing series of downloadable content for Red Dead Redemption.

Four packs of add-on downloadable content will be released for PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE over the next few months, starting with the ‘Legends and Killers’ Pack at the beginning of August and culminating with the Red Dead Redemption ‘Undead Nightmare’ Pack this fall. These packs follow the recent release of the Free ‘Outlaws to The End’ Co-Op Mission Pack, which is available now on PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE.
The upcoming downloadable content includes:

Legends and Killers Pack (Releasing beginning of August 2010)
New active map locations, characters and more:

* 9 New Multiplayer map locations — more than doubling the amount of territories in the Multiplayer Competitive modes
* 8 New Multiplayer characters— play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
* Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding Challenges for single player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Pricing: $9.99 (PlayStation Network), 800 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE)

Liars and Cheats Pack
New Competitive Modes, Multiplayer Mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* ‘Attack and Defend’ Multiplayer Competitive Mode and Challenges
* New Multiplayer Horse Races complete with mounted combat
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
* Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated Challenges available in single-player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Release date TBC

Free Roam Pack
Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with new Modes, Challenges and Gang Hideouts to discover:

* Additional Free Roam Challenges
* New action areas and defensive placements
* Posse Scoring / Posse Leaderboards
* New ‘anti-griefing’ measures in Free Roam
* Release date and pricing TBC

Undead Nightmare Pack
Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong:

* Brand new single player adventure, Challenges and quests
* 8 New Multiplayer Zombie characters
* Additional animals unleashed in the world
* New Dynamic events
* More details to follow...
* Release date TBC

Jackie R
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for posting dinsdale. Some of the new features really look interesting. I may pick some of these up if other MPs are interested but right now I don't see too many people around (at least on PSN). http://aerre.pair.com/tagadmin/tag_home/images/smilies/bluefrown.gif

Borlaxx
07-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Dre, I don't see it that way at all. I just see it as a way to keep a game going. RDR was a complete game upon release with dozens of hours of worth of stuff to do, so anything they add to it is just extra. It would be one thing if the actual game was not worth the price of buying it, but it is. I see nothing wrong with a developer keeping a game alive with new content that obviously wasn't there when the game was released as opposed to what EA is doing with BC2 by "adding new content" that was on the disc from day one with the exception of the Onslaught mode. It isn't like you have to buy the DLC to play the game. The way I view it is if the standard game is worth the price to buy and is a complete experience than anything they add to it just helps keep a game from getting stale. Can't tell u how many older PS1 and PS2 game I wish had this option.

bigdaddyj2468
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
you can't go wrong with zombies.

dinsdale1978
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Dre, I don't see it that way at all. I just see it as a way to keep a game going. RDR was a complete game upon release with dozens of hours of worth of stuff to do, so anything they add to it is just extra. It would be one thing if the actual game was not worth the price of buying it, but it is. I see nothing wrong with a developer keeping a game alive with new content that obviously wasn't there when the game was released as opposed to what EA is doing with BC2 by "adding new content" that was on the disc from day one with the exception of the Onslaught mode. It isn't like you have to buy the DLC to play the game. The way I view it is if the standard game is worth the price to buy and is a complete experience than anything they add to it just helps keep a game from getting stale. Can't tell u how many older PS1 and PS2 game I wish had this option.

I understand your point of view.. i just have a feeling that somewhere down the line this aspect will get exploited...

There have been a lot of industry experts talking about this change in gaming. This extensible model for games is still being settled into by publishers. It's somewhat easier with MMO's but every genre is trying to cash in on this trend. I have no problem with microtransactions and paid DLC, as long as the dev's treat it as something that extends the game or adds to the experience; and not just a cash cow to drain their audience dry. As for the BC2 DLC, I have been rather disappointed by their process but can see why they are doing it. Frankly, I would like to see them use that Store for smaller customizations. Imagine buying unique outfits and taunts or something. As long as paid items don't imbalance a game, I say let people waste their money where they want.

I hope Rockstar gets a ton of money from the DLC so they can invest in better network engineers for future games.

Spike Forehand
07-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Damn, those tomahawks would be perfect for sneaking up on wookies in BFBC2.

Jackie R
07-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Damn, those tomahawks would be perfect for sneaking up on wookies in BFBC2.
http://theadultgamer.com/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

DB4
07-13-2010, 09:32 AM
As long as paid items don't imbalance a game, I say let people waste their money where they want.

That right there, is the key to having proper DLC. That and actually making the content "downloadable." *cough* *cough* BC2 *cough*