PDA

View Full Version : Conquest Tactics

DayliteMag
07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm interested to hear if any MPs have some good Tactics for conquest maps. I was originally going to post this in a different thread (the one about Map Pack 5 which seems to have HUGE tendancy to go off topic), but thought perhaps it might warrant it's own topic.

I get frustrated with conquest because I feel like you should try to protect the base/flag after you capture it, but then how do you get the other bases/flags?

I couldn't agree more. My first instinct is to capture and hold a flag, but the temptation to move up and take the others is powerful. Especially if the flag you have captured doesn't get challenged very often. You sit there doing nothing, and meanwhile all of the action is taking place at another flag. So, how about this as a simple strategy for us MPs to use on Conquest maps:

MP Squad consists of: 2 medics to revive and provide med packs; one assault to provide ammo; and one Engineer to throw down mines

1. Before starting a Conquest match the MP Squad decides which Flag will be it's primary target. It kinda seems like a no-brainer to simply pick the closest Flag, but there might be a case to made for racing forward and taking the Flag that is closest to the attackers deployment (likely to be more action).

2. Once you take the target flag, set up a defence strategy (you'll generally have a bit of time before all hell breaks loose). To me, it would make sense to split into two groups of two and then setup on opposite sides of the flag creating a nice choke point in the middle. Each group of two should be able to see the other group, so that you can spot trouble for each other. One of the two groups should try to position themselves at the very back of the flag defence zone; thereby allowing one of the two to look in the direction of the next closest flag as this is where the attackers are likely to approach from.

3. Once you have established your strategy for defending the flag, and all seems clear, you can then move as a team up toward the next flag. Your goal for the next flag isn't necessarily to take the flag, but to simply take out as many baddies as possible and get points in the process. Ideally, you will not move too far away from the target flag and the moment you see that your target flag is under attack the team immediately heads back and re-captures the flag. Most of the other teammates will do what they always do, which is to run helter skelter all over the map looking for the action. When they see that the target flag is well defended they will quickly move on to the next flag, which hopefully will result in all three flags being secured.

Anyway, just a very basic/simple strat that might be worth trying. Could work on the new Nelson Bay map, but because the Flags are so close together it can get pretty crowded. The MP Team probably won't need to ever move away from the target flag on Nelson Bay.

I would be interested to hear other strategies/Tips for playing Conquest. I know we mostly play rush but Conquest has it's appeal, as well,

Cheers, DayliteMag (aka Greg)

CELockwood
07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm interested to hear if any MPs have some good Tactics for conquest maps. I was originally going to post this in a different thread (the one about Map Pack 5 which seems to have HUGE tendancy to go off topic), but thought perhaps it might warrant it's own topic.

I get frustrated with conquest because I feel like you should try to protect the base/flag after you capture it, but then how do you get the other bases/flags?

I couldn't agree more. My first instinct is to capture and hold a flag, but the temptation to move up and take the others is powerful. Especially if the flag you have captured doesn't get challenged very often. You sit there doing nothing, and meanwhile all of the action is taking place at another flag. So, how about this as a simple strategy for us MPs to use on Conquest maps:

MP Squad consists of: 2 medics to revive and provide med packs; one assault to provide ammo; and one Engineer to throw down mines

1. Before starting a Conquest match the MP Squad decides which Flag will be it's primary target. It kinda seems like a no-brainer to simply pick the closest Flag, but there might be a case to made for racing forward and taking the Flag that is closest to the attackers deployment (likely to be more action).

2. Once you take the target flag, set up a defence strategy (you'll generally have a bit of time before all hell breaks loose). To me, it would make sense to split into two groups of two and then setup on opposite sides of the flag creating a nice choke point in the middle. Each group of two should be able to see the other group, so that you can spot trouble for each other. One of the two groups should try to position themselves at the very back of the flag defence zone; thereby allowing one of the two to look in the direction of the next closest flag as this is where the attackers are likely to approach from.

3. Once you have established your strategy for defending the flag, and all seems clear, you can then move as a team up toward the next flag. Your goal for the next flag isn't necessarily to take the flag, but to simply take out as many baddies as possible and get points in the process. Ideally, you will not move too far away from the target flag and the moment you see that your target flag is under attack the team immediately heads back and re-captures the flag. Most of the other teammates will do what they always do, which is to run helter skelter all over the map looking for the action. When they see that the target flag is well defended they will quickly move on to the next flag, which hopefully will result in all three flags being secured.

Anyway, just a very basic/simple strat that might be worth trying. Could work on the new Nelson Bay map, but because the Flags are so close together it can get pretty crowded. The MP Team probably won't need to ever move away from the target flag on Nelson Bay.

I would be interested to hear other strategies/Tips for playing Conquest. I know we mostly play rush but Conquest has it's appeal, as well,

I like it. I would add that in regular mode (not hardcore), it's worthwhile having a recon (perhaps in place of one of the medics or the engineer depending on the map?) for motion mines. They can make a world of difference around the flags. There's so much strategy potential in these maps for a team (several squads working together), but that never seems to happen. I like to start with the flag 2nd to the attackers deployment (i.e. B on arica). Getting to the one nearest can be difficult right at the start, and I usually screw it up by running on foot right into a tank or the bad guys whole team.

Oh, and by the way, in spite of what it looked like, we decided it was Borlax who took that thread off topic. ;)

sniperella
07-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I do think a wookie would be useful to have around b/c of the motion mines and spotting if not on hardcore mode. Too bad you can't pick out your weapons and other items individually... Maybe we can test out this new plan tonight if I manage to get online. We are having a yard sale tomorrow, so lots of stuff to do >Yuck<! Would be awesome if we had enough MPs on to have two squads going at once in conquest. I am getting to where I actually like conquest a little! ;)

Retro
07-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like a plan to me. I do think a wookie would be useful to have around b/c of the motion mines and spotting if not on hardcore mode. Too bad you can't pick out your weapons and other items individually... Maybe we can test out this new plan tonight if I manage to get online. We are having a yard sale tomorrow, so lots of stuff to do >Yuck<! Would be awesome if we had enough MPs on to have two squads going at once in conquest. I am getting to where I actually like conquest a little! ;)
I do alot of spotting and motion mine tossing in HC. It does work, it just doesn't show up on a map. The motion mines still beep when someone is around and when you spot, the player nearest that enemy get's an audio alert about an enemy near by. It's just more realistic without the magical map.

CELockwood
07-31-2010, 08:21 AM
I do alot of spotting and motion mine tossing in HC. It does work, it just doesn't show up on a map. The motion mines still beep when someone is around and when you spot, the player nearest that enemy get's an audio alert about an enemy near by. It's just more realistic without the magical map.

I agree it's useful, it's just not as nice as having the bright red triangle on the map, and my doofus butt seems to still get killed when I know they're there from the pinging.

That's one of my complaints about h/c vs. regular. I still like h/c better, but the recon toolkit takes a hit in that mode, while the medic actually seems to score a lot more points from healing. Perhaps it's more than made up for by the lack of kill cam. I'd love to play regular mode with the health (points & no self healing) as it is in h/c.

I use spotting in h/c to find enemies in cover in an area I suspect. Also with the spotting (& motion mines I think), you can hit start and take a quick glance at the large map and the spots are actually there, even in h/c.

DayliteMag
07-31-2010, 09:46 AM
I'd love to play regular mode with the health (points & no self healing) as it is in h/c. Also with the spotting (& motion mines I think), you can hit start and take a quick glance at the large map and the spots are actually there, even in h/c.

Wow, I just learned two things I wasn't aware of previously:

1. You can't self-heal in H/C (like an idiot, I have been sitting on my own med packs thinking I was being healed...d'oh)
2. No idea you could access a map while in H/C

Thanks, Lockwood

Retro
07-31-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd love to play regular mode with the health (points & no self healing) as it is in h/c. Also with the spotting (& motion mines I think), you can hit start and take a quick glance at the large map and the spots are actually there, even in h/c.

1. You can't self-heal in H/C (like an idiot, I have been sitting on my own med packs thinking I was being healed...d'oh)

If your a medic you can heal yourself with your own med pack. You just don't regenerate your health over time like you do in regular mode.

DayliteMag
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
If your a medic you can heal yourself with your own med pack. You just don't regenerate your health over time like you do in regular mode.

Thanks, Retro.

CELockwood
07-31-2010, 02:42 PM

Yup, that's what I meant. Self-heal was probably not a good choice of words.

DayliteMag
07-31-2010, 04:07 PM
I think we did a pretty good job employing this tactic on White Pass. We held "A" for the entire game; at least I don't think it ever changed hands, but if it did we took it back very quickly. Our whole squad (Lockwood, gmrtag, underdog, daylite) did a great job of spotting the enemy and moving around the target flag to the hot spots.

CELockwood
07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I think we did a pretty good job employing this tactic on White Pass. We held "A" for the entire game; at least I don't think it ever changed hands, but if it did we took it back very quickly. Our whole squad (Lockwood, gmrtag, underdog, daylite) did a great job of spotting the enemy and moving around the target flag to the hot spots.

We didn't do half bad considering the other team wiped the floor with us on the previous map. If we'd had a second MP squad to coordinate with, I think we could have held a second flag and won that one.

ustolemygmrtag
07-31-2010, 07:55 PM

We didn't do half bad considering the other team wiped the floor with us on the previous map. If we'd had a second MP squad to coordinate with, I think we could have held a second flag and won that one.
I couldnt aggree more. We all did well. I ended up 12 and 15, not bad for me. I rarely get a positive K/D ratio in conquest. BTW, we did lose A a couple of times, but for no more than a few seconds. :applause: :applause: That is for making Conquest fun for me. I have always said, "I hate Conquest." But not anymore. :-$

ProfUnderDog
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
It was fun trying Daylite's strategy the other day with you all. My only suggestion would be that once we've taken and held the base, we move on the next and try not to get flanked. I've always had the most success in Conquest when a good team moves up and ultimately pushes the other team back to their spawn. Think Onslaught. Now of course, I like taking the initiative and playing aggressively. For example, often the best way to change the momentum in a game when getting hammered at a tough flag is to skip to another flag either less heavily defended or not defended at all, this then takes away the opposition from the initial flag letting you pick them off when they scramble to retake and often letting the other squad take the initial flag. The problem with conquest is usually a lack of cooperation with lonewolfers or just lousy players on a team. When that happens all it takes is one good squad to wipe the map. So when we get a squad of MP's, I'm always much happier which is why I joined up with TeamMP in the first place). Lockwood often finds me with daylite playing with a bunch of lonewolfers, and when it's just the two of us, it is definitely more difficult to win. When that happens the best that you can hope for is to rack up as many points as possible and again taking flags gets you many more points then defending.

BrimstonePsycho
08-05-2010, 12:45 PM

making this simple. at the begingng og an attack. go for the furthest flags and let the slow ones get the others. theis is always a no fail rush to keep ur enemies back.

TrojanTeacher
08-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I always skip the first flag and rush to THEIR second flag. That way we can establish an attack on their only flag capped.