PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock Infinite

RATA MUERTA
08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
WOW is all I can say!! I love the Bioshock series and all that it stands for :x . With that said I was so surprised at the Irrational Games Trailer that I downloaded last night, it is the unveiling of the next part of the series!!! Set in 1912, years before the first Bioshock took place and the city of Rapture was built, I can't wait to see all that will unfold in the story. Even if you didn't really get into the first two games check out the trailer, this one is out of the water and into the air, I looks really cool!

[yt:uv2980jn]GNYl-Ou5g8o[/yt:uv2980jn]

http://www.bioshockinfinite.com/main.php

Retro
08-14-2010, 12:00 PM
The Bioshock trailers are great, the setup is awesome. The games ...meh.

RATA MUERTA
08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Well I for one really enjoyed the Bioshock games. The setting and voice acting are some of the best that I have seen/heard. It is a unique game, perhaps not for everyone.

There is an article here (http://kotaku.com/5607451/bioshock-infinite-goes-beyond-the-sea--into-the-skies) for anyone that is interested. It talks about the demo of the game that was shown the other night when they unveiled the trailer.

SlapLaB
08-17-2010, 05:23 AM
A colleague of mine highly recommended me Bioshock (first one)...

I played for 1/2h and didn't like it - it felt like being in a FPS back in 1995 :-B

CELockwood
08-17-2010, 05:33 AM
I enjoyed Bioshock as well. I thought the story was great, the atmosphere was cool, and the gameplay was fun. I haven't played the second one, yet, but I probably will eventually.

RATA MUERTA
08-17-2010, 09:15 AM
I enjoyed Bioshock as well. I thought the story was great, the atmosphere was cool, and the gameplay was fun. I haven't played the second one, yet, but I probably will eventually.
Yes, don't like Bioshock for it's cutting edge FPS shooting ability, I love the story and atmosphere that they created in Rapture. I have heard the complaints about the engine being out of date, and I could really care less about that part. In fact due to the way you shoot in the game and it's MP, I have vastly improved my use of weapons in MW2. :-B

Retro
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't have a problem with the gameplay, I just found the story really boring. Started off well, but went downhill fast.

Now Dead Space ...that game just messed with my head.

CELockwood
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
That's funny, I started dead space, and loved the story and spooky atmosphere but couldn't get into the gameplay. I still have it, but haven't played it in a long time and never made it very far.

RATA MUERTA
09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
You should really watch this trailer, even if you weren't interested in Bioshock 1 or 2, this is EPIC.
Check out the full 10 min it just gets better and better til the end!
[yt:3ns2jiy8]83RQW9hN2fE[/yt:3ns2jiy8]

Borlaxx
09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
A read a long article about this game in the newest issue of Game Informer, and now I am interested. Apparently this game uses a completely new engine which is supposed to improve the graphics and control. I also love the weird pseudo-Americana feel to it.

RATA MUERTA
09-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Well like I said before I really think you would like the Bioshock series. I know that there were complaints before about the engine, but honestly I can play it just the same as MW2, even if it was a little different at first, it certainly wasn't as bad a people make it out to be. Besides that, the storyline and voice acting, the way they put together the recordings in Rapture was spectacular, you really feel like you are rummaging around in the ruins of these people's lives!

But on to Colombia! Which WAS IN America (well its floating now so it could be anywhere), was created by the American government, and of course in the grand fashion of Rapture has been ruined by the very people who call it home.

Borlaxx
09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I just think the focus on an american utopia destroyed by intollerance, ignorence and fear of people who are different is very timely and will lend itself to a fantastic story. I may pick up a used copy of Bioshock 2 before this comes out.

RATA MUERTA
09-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I just think the focus on an american utopia destroyed by intollerance, ignorence and fear of people who are different is very timely and will lend itself to a fantastic story. I may pick up a used copy of Bioshock 2 before this comes out.
Psssstt that is what Bioshock 1 and 2 are about, that is why I have been telling you to try it out!!!!

RATA MUERTA
08-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Although it seems I am the solo Bioshock enthusiast around here, I wanted to share this article about a real life Rapture! Players of the game may remember the philosophies that led to Rapture's creation and ultimate demise. They are reiterated in this missions goal to create a libertarian society free from moral codes, no welfare, and (my favorite) loose gun regulations! http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/objectivist-billionaire-funding-real-life-rapture-bioshock-223700634.html?orig_host_hdr=news.yahoo.com&.intl=us&.lang=en-us

CELockwood
08-18-2011, 05:18 PM
This is hilarious.

I actually loved the first one, but for some reason never picked up the 2nd.

RATA MUERTA
08-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Yeah Bioshock threads have always ended up a conversation with myself with Borlax occasionally chiming in lol! Bioshock has to be one of my all time favorite games!!

Pick up Bioshock 2 (it's $19.99 on Xbl) if you liked the first one you will like this one. I love the story to 2 almost as much as 1. Without saying too much, I felt that the story to 2 was made more poignant because I am a parent. As we know our children learn from us by watching our actions and this has a place in the game. It also has a mp. It's not for everyone but I loved it so much I leveled up and prestiged (also nets you a bunch of achievements!)

Also the reason for this thread is the new Bioshock Infinite due out in spring! Very excited, Game Imformer rated this game Best in Show for E3 this year!!

Psalm
08-19-2011, 08:14 AM
I played both 1 & 2 and liked it a lot...I will at the very least rent Infinite.

xMisFitToyx
08-19-2011, 08:21 AM
BB has both on sale right now for $19.99 ea.

Retro
05-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Game is now delayed until Feb. 26th 2013.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/bioshock-infinite-delayed-to-2013

Guess they didn't want to go up against Black Ops II.

HardlyCapable13
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM

:((

johnnyh1976
05-09-2012, 01:27 PM

:((

Such a bummer....I was totally pumped for another Bioshock game :(( :(( ......Regardless I'm sure it will be worh the wait. The first Bioshock is still to date one of my favorite SP campaigns/stories that I have ever played....such a gripping atmosphere. "The Iceman cometh Sander baby......the Iceman......cometh!!"

Retro
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
From IGN

Unlike BioShock, in Infinite you do not play as a character devoid of any real personality. The protagonist Booker DeWitt has a voice, a philosophy and a mission to find a woman named Elizabeth. What’s striking about the first few hours of BioShock Infinite (http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14258733.html) is how developer Irrational doesn’t weigh down pacing with an abundance of exposition. Instead, you learn about Booker and the floating city of Columbia he visits in a way that feels natural and makes sense within the fiction’s context.
The nods to the original BioShock are obvious early on. Infinite begins at sea as you approach a lighthouse. After a sequence of flashing light and booming sound that owes a lot to the finale of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, you’re whisked up on a rocket elevator to Columbia and initially given the impression the city might actually be a secessionist paradise supported by a religious worship of major figures from American history.

When you first arrive, sections of sun-soaked Columbia gently rise and fall in the distance, nestled on cloud cushions and kept afloat with whatever fantasy technology churns within them. This is not a dark, dead place like Rapture, but filled with bright light and picnicking families and hot dog vendors and people who, in general, are interested in doing things other than cutting you in half. You learn about their world simply by looking around.
Curving metal rails connect Columbia’s bobbing subdivisions and allow for the shipment of freight containers. Posters and statues of Comstock, the city’s religious leader, are everywhere. You listen to the chatter of Columbia’s idle citizens and you pick up audio recordings to hear more concentrated stories. You’re not forced by desperate circumstance to trust some character you’ve never met before, which seems to suggest Infinite might not gradually build to a BioShock- or System Shock 2-style reveal.
Even the tutorials cleverly further the story. You approach booths at a fair in Columbia and take on shooting gallery challenges. You shoot at targets shaped like members of the allegedly villainous Vox Populi, and so are introduced to the notion that faction warfare is deeply embedded in Columbia’s public consciousness. If you shoot accurately you’re given coins, and if you don’t care you can ignore the booths entirely, and so Irrational doesn’t punish those who’d rather just get to the part where things start to go crazy.

Yet as Columbia’s security forces open fire on Booker and threaten his life, it’s hard to root for his survival. Initially he comes off as a disillusioned killer with little interest in anything other than his self-preservation and the completion of his mission. That starts to change when Elizabeth shows up.
When you find her trapped in a tower she seems eager to leave. You both flee from a hulking bird-like beast called Songbird and attempt to find a way out of the city. She’s been imprisoned in a library her whole life like some fairy tale princess, and when outside she spins and dances and peers out windows and examines mundane objects with child-like fascination. Her eyes are enormous and wonderfully expressive, and it seems clear that she’s meant to be the innocent, idealistic foil to Booker’s world-weary selfishness. She’s confused by the idea of Columbia’s segregated bathrooms while everyone else barely notices them. She recoils in horror the first time you kill someone in front of her. She calls Booker a murderer, and he can’t offer much of a defense because her assessment is entirely accurate.
She also asks questions, which leads to some of the most memorable moments of Infinite’s opening sections. She asks what happened to Booker’s wife, and Booker responds:
“She died giving birth.”
“You have a child?”
“No.”
Precise dialogue like that opens up Infinite’s character development in ways that simply weren’t possible in prior BioShock games and helps crystalize both characters far more effectively. After a while Booker doesn’t seem as callous, and there seems to be far more fueling his disillusionment than a simple lazy disinterest in the human condition. It’s obvious their relationship will strengthen, though to what end remains unknown for now.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/07/murder-and-mayhem-in-bioshock-infinite

Retro
12-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Continued.

Columbia develops into a more complex, multifaceted setting right alongside the characters. You use a tool called a skyhook to latch onto the skyline rails and speed between Columbia’s various hovering districts and occasionally drop onto enemies to punch them into the sky’s expanse. You visit sunny beaches filled with lounging citizens and travel into the midst of a cult of vicious raven-worshipping psychopaths. The attention to detail is impressive inside and out, from dazzling views of rooftops poking up through wind-whipped clouds to ominous magical machinery humming in the depths of Elizabeth’s former prison. Columbia feels like a gigantic place, yet despite its size there’s little dead space as Infinite’s mostly linear progression ensures you’re always encountering something new.

The shooting parts, at least near the beginning, don't stand out quite as much. Though your magical abilities are called Vigors instead of Plasmids and you receive a regenerating overshield, the initial combat experience feels very familiar. You get a fire Vigor called Devil’s Kiss to burn foes and can charge it up to set flame traps on the ground. A possession Vigor turns enemies and turrets against each other temporarily. You get a pistol and a machine gun early on, and if you want to use another weapon you’ll need to drop one you’re holding because you can only ever use two at a time.
While Irrational had talked before about implementing a new resource system for Vigor use, the powers are now activated by drawing on a pool of Salts in the same way that BioShock’s Plasmids required Eve, so the rhythm of combat shouldn’t be difficult for any franchise fan to adjust to. By finding special potions around Columbia you can choose to boost health, overshield or Salts, so you can build yourself into a durable fighter or more of a fire-slinging sorcerer to suit your preferred play style.

Guns and Vigors can be upgraded as well at vending machines all around Columbia. For weapons, the upgrades in the sections of Infinite shown were pretty basic and allowed you to trade currency for boosts to aspects like accuracy and damage. The Vigor upgrades seemed to be much more interesting. At its base level, for instance, Murder of Crows allows you to distract and damage enemies with bloodthirsty crows. When upgraded, any foe killed by a crow attack will then turn into a crow bomb.
Passive upgrades return, but they’re no longer called Nostrums like previously reported. Instead, they’re called Gear, and four can be equipped at a time. Like Tonics from the original, these confer passive benefits. Combined in the right way, they can enhance specific elements of gameplay and let you fight much more effectively when dive-bombing onto enemies from skylines or give you special effects like a chance to shock enemies when hit.
Though the fights in the first hour or so were pretty basic, the later encounters required a more creative approach. Switching between pistol and shotgun, setting fire traps to singe pursuing foes while using possession to flip a turret’s allegiance then swapping to the Bucking Bronco Vigor to launch forward a wide blast of paralyzing energy to suspend foes in midair and set them up for one-hit-kill skyhook swipes was very satisfying. Enemies eventually brought bigger weapons to fights alongside pistols and rifles and special types of adversaries teleported around battle zones and launched powerful fire attacks. The later fights felt like more sophisticated challenges where the shape of the environment, ability to scramble and loot bodies mid-fight to recover health, ammo and Salts, and knowledge of how best to combine weapon and Vigor use actually mattered.
Elizabeth’s contributions to fights aren’t spectacular, but are helpful. When she’s nearby she’ll offer up health and ammunition in limited amounts. She also has the power to open tears in the fabric of reality to conjure structures. By clicking on a tearable area you can order Elizabeth to activate it, and it seems only one tear can be active at a time, meaning you need to decide whether to summon a turret, a clump of Salts or a health station. While there seems to be a lot of potential for a system like this, the actual in-game applications seem very conservative in the early stages. Elizabeth also serves as Infinite’s version of a Vita-Chamber and revives you if you die, which takes away some of your money and lets enemies regenerate a portion of their health every time.

There seems to be a greater variety of enemy design in Infinite than in Irrational’s previous game. Some foes attack while wearing shiny Statue of Liberty masks, others run around in pointed hoods, while others wear heavy metal armor and others carry coffins on their backs. The effects of the Vigors impress as well. A charged up Devil’s Kiss causes a ball of flame to glow orange and melt from the bottom of your hand. If you adjust Booker’s view downward, the molten stream continues to drip toward the in-game ground instead of the bottom of the screen. It’s a minor detail, but evidence of Irrational’s commitment to the little things as well as the big.
While the gameplay uses many ideas from the original game, Irrational does such a great job of infusing a sense of wonder and mystery into the experience so that it feels like a journey well worth continuing beyond the initial sections. Between Booker and Elizabeth’s relationship, the occasional TV static-like flicker of seemingly solid objects in Columbia, the nature of Booker’s bizarre flashbacks, the Songbird, Elizabeth’s reality-bending power, the nationalism-as-religion themes and conflict between Columbia’s factions, Infinite has no lack of big, ambitious ideas. Where it’s all headed and whether or not it’ll wrap up in a sensible, satisfying way is anyone’s guess until the full game is made available.
In case you hadn't already heard, BioShock Infinite (http://ps3.ign.com/objects/142/14258732.html) was just delayed again (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/07/bioshock-infinite-delayed-again). Assuming this date actually holds, Infinite will be available on March 26 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/12/07/murder-and-mayhem-in-bioshock-infinite

Mutt
12-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Is it me or does the AI seem pretty dumb in this game? Around 1:35 and after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIU1e7k7Oc

Retro
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4fPJjVSW9I

LandShark
03-21-2013, 10:28 AM
a surprise ending Eh!?

theczech99
03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
IGN Review. 360/PS3 9.4 and PC 9.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Wr9VOsHYc

The Verdict

Going in, I had to question whether Infinite could live up to the BioShock name after having discarded its signature world of Rapture, with its Big Daddies and Little Sisters and warring philosophies, and starting from scratch. On the way out, I'm forced to seriously question which is the better game. In total, BioShock Infinite (http://ps3.ign.com/objects/142/14258732.html) is a brilliant shooter that nudges the entire genre forward with innovations in both storytelling and gameplay. It trips over itself in a couple of spots, but not in any way that should keep you from embracing it with your utmost enthusiasm.

Retro
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Part One:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Ldu6okEfY

Part Two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55QfmFdmx_c

Retro
03-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Sessler review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jchIi-vR_js

LandShark
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
wow! 5 out of 5

TheFreak75
03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
I want it, soo bad!!!

HardlyCapable13
03-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I want it, soo bad!!!

So pick it up! I won't tell!

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to tomorrow evening when I get my copy.

A good buddy of mine is supposed to close on his house tomorrow and he wants me to help him start ripping out carpet immediately so we can tile it. I'm thinking of calling the loan officer and asking if they can delay it a couple days....

RC-1136
03-26-2013, 08:55 AM
I've never played a Bio-Shock game. Would I be able to pick this up and know what is going on? The game looks amazing.

TheFreak75
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
yep, i think it's a totally different story from the previous two games, still if you get a chance play the first one!!
I've never played a Bio-Shock game. Would I be able to pick this up and know what is going on? The game looks amazing.

HardlyCapable13
03-26-2013, 09:07 AM
yep, i think it's a totally different story from the previous two games, still if you get a chance play the first one!!

Agreed. First one is one of my favorite current gen games. Second one is good, just more of the same. This one has no ties to the first (from what I gather).

theczech99
03-26-2013, 09:16 AM

I have 1 & 2 but never finished the first one. After I finish Tomb Raider, Hitman and Warfighter I need to go back and finish the first one. My biggest turn off was always being out of ammo and cash when I came across a big daddy. What is the key to bringing him down without dying a lot? I was at the point where I would freeze him then beat the crap out of him with the wrench until he would kill me. I kept doing this over and over until he would finally die, not a lot of fun.

LandShark
03-26-2013, 03:04 PM
played about 30 minutes and im ready to close everything up and disappear to the game room!

HardlyCapable13
03-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Just got home with my copy, but won't be able to play for about another four hours...

TheFreak75
03-26-2013, 06:51 PM
I hate you!!!I still have to wait till Friday
Just got home with my copy, but won't be able to play for about another four hours...

HardlyCapable13
03-26-2013, 10:11 PM
About an hour in. Haven't really done much, but wow! Can already tell this is going to be a good one.
Love the nod to the original at the very beginning.
Also found a Fallout easter egg.

HardlyCapable13
04-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Finished this game last night. I would recommend playing your first playthrough on hard. I found it to be pretty easy on normal. I'm starting the 1999 difficulty playthrough, which is supposed to be extremely hard.

Will write up my full thoughts on the game soon.

HardlyCapable13
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I've spent a ton of hours in the world of Bioshock Infinite, way more that I should have for a game that's only been out a week. I beat it on normal, and am about a quarter of the way through my second playthrough on 1999 mode (ultra hard), which is punishing. So here is my review.

Overall, I have had a blast with this game. I never got tired of exploring every inch of Columbia for money, ammo, and supplies. Some of the fights were pretty intense and had me on the edge of my seat; when the fight was over I literally let out a big sigh realizing I've been holding my breath.
As with the other Bioshock titles, the music/SFX are amazing. The sound really helps set the mood.
I really enjoyed what Elizabeth brings to the table. It's great that you don't have to protect her during battle (she hides), but she scavages for ammo/health/mana (salts) when you are low. The designers also paid great attention to detail with her. It's fun how she randomly reacts to the environment if you linger, inspecting paintings, leaning on walls, pointing out lockpicks for you to pick up, taking a seat. Overall, I was really impressed with how they utilized her in the game.
I didn't see the ending coming at all. It really blew my mind, and was quite memorable. I still find myself trying to wrap my head around it.

The AI leaves something to be desired (at least on normal difficulty). I also wish you could duck. There were countless times in the game where the cover I had was just not quite tall enough. The enemy could shoot my head, but I could not see over it to shoot back. I constantly found myslef clicking the left thumbstick to duck...
Although I have enjoyed the game, I will say it's got nothing on Bioshock 1. The way that game immersed you into the world, you could almost smell it. It was dark, gloomy, often times frightening. The enemies were memorable. The Big Daddy/Little Sister duo was heartbreaking, confusing; your choice actually mattered in the game. There were no enemies that had near the impact of hearing a Big Daddy stomping around ahead.

Overall I would give the game a 7.5/10.

I know I'm forgetting tons of things I wanted to put in this review, and I'll probably remember them next time I play. If you're on the fence, I'd say pick it up. If you didn't enjoy the first two in the franchise, skip it.

TheFreak75
04-08-2013, 10:10 PM
Just finished the game...... very few times have I enjoyed a game as much as I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, still have shivers just pondering and thinking of the ending of this game. Irrational games have created another wonderful world in Columbia that on the outside shows you a face of beautiful, peaceful paradise but as you progress you start seeing things as they are and Columbia's real face comes into play. But it's not only the city, but it's characters as well play a huge role in the story; the relationship between Elizabeth and Booker is incredible and so deep you feel compelled to continue playing to see how it all turns out. Gotta get my head straight after finishing this one, I'm planning a return to Columbia as well as Rapture. Highly recommend this game.

Spike Forehand
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Game was free this month on PS+ so I'm about 3 hours in. Very interesting game. Loving the "vigors", especially the crows. Does seem pretty easy on "normal". May increase to hard if I can do that in-game. Probably not in the mood to start over.

Borlaxx
01-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Game was free this month on PS+ so I'm about 3 hours in. Very interesting game. Loving the "vigors", especially the crows. Does seem pretty easy on "normal". May increase to hard if I can do that in-game. Probably not in the mood to start over.

Same here, and so far I'm really loving it. Fun gameplay and awesome story and setting. I'm about 6 hours in I think and the difficulty is starting to pick up and I'm getting killed more often, especially by those damn handymen.

Gink
01-24-2014, 08:15 PM
I played back in September, but the wife has been playing lately and it's giving me the itch for another play through at higher difficulty, and different strategy.

At first I felt like the limit of 2 carried weapons was a bummer vs the full arsenal of past BioShock games, but I ended up enjoying specializing and improving a few weapons and vigors. I came to pretty heavily rely on setting up a perimeter of shock traps, using crows and then holding an area with carbine and shotgun or hand cannon. I'd like to play again and use different vigors and some of the heavy weapons more. I'd love to use all the melee outfits and use charge and undertow, but I know I'd get my ass beat left and right.

xMisFitToyx
02-20-2014, 08:51 AM
Woot!!

Awesome game ... Got my Platinum Trophy.

1999 Scavenger play through is not terribly difficult. There were only a couple of times I came up short on ammo, But Elizabeth eventually helped me by tossing me some.