PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching

DayliteMag
08-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Are any of you MPs into Geocaching? I am thinking of taking it up as a hobby with my wife and daughter. Seems like a good family-type activity. I would be interested in hearing advice from MPs with regard to GPS devices. There seems to be quite a broad range of pricing and I don't know if there is a significant difference between the cheaper models and the more expensive ones. I don't mind spending the money if the functionality warrants the expenditure.

LandShark
08-23-2010, 06:47 PM
We did this before, the kids had a blast finding the caches.

xMisFitToyx
08-23-2010, 07:23 PM
I've done this in the past.

Here is a good website. I subscribe to their e-Newsletter.
http://www.groundspeak.com/

It is a lot of fun. If you have a lot of free time. (for traveling)

Hope it's helpfull.

sniperella
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
OMG, my favorite HOBBY!! Next to BC2 that is! I LOVE geocaching! It is a total blast, walking around in the middle of nowhere with a $200 gps looking for an ammo can, tuperware bowl, film canister, etc! I have an Earthmate PN-20 from Delorme that works great for caching. Delorme now has software that works with geocaching.com so that you can instantly and easily upload caches. I recommend the handheld gps units over the ones in a car or on a cell. You don't always go places that will have cell signal, so it may not always work. Delorme has newer models than mine, but mine is pretty accurate, usually within 10 feet or less of the cache hides. I could go on and on about this topic! I actually did a speech for my speech class last fall (which I hated) about geocaching. I will have to post some geocaching pix later when I am on my lap top! This is a great family activity, my kids love going! They get all kinds of "prizes" from caches, and the hunt alone can be great fun, especially the hard ones! It gives you a purpose when you are outside, or around here, even just riding around town running errands! ;)

DayliteMag
08-27-2010, 05:37 PM
OMG, my favorite HOBBY!! Next to BC2 that is! I LOVE geocaching! It is a total blast, walking around in the middle of nowhere with a $200 gps looking for an ammo can, tuperware bowl, film canister, etc! I have an Earthmate PN-20 from Delorme that works great for caching. Delorme now has software that works with geocaching.com so that you can instantly and easily upload caches. I recommend the handheld gps units over the ones in a car or on a cell. You don't always go places that will have cell signal, so it may not always work. Delorme has newer models than mine, but mine is pretty accurate, usually within 10 feet or less of the cache hides. I could go on and on about this topic! I actually did a speech for my speech class last fall (which I hated) about geocaching. I will have to post some geocaching pix later when I am on my lap top! This is a great family activity, my kids love going! They get all kinds of "prizes" from caches, and the hunt alone can be great fun, especially the hard ones! It gives you a purpose when you are outside, or around here, even just riding around town running errands! ;)

Thanks, Meg. I think we will give it a try. Need more reasons to get out and do something...anything, physical.

BirdDawg
11-04-2011, 03:35 AM
I haven't done any geocaching, but i do like to go out in the "woods" with just a compass and map to work on my navigation skills