PDA

View Full Version : Mine Rescue

Borlaxx
10-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Last night, I watched the first of the 33 miners in Chilie being rescued by sending a metal canister down a very narrow hole that goes half a mile into the ground to the chamber where they have been trapped for over 60 days. Apparently 15 have been pulled out so far. Amazing and heart warming. When the first rescue worker went down there, I got chills, as he was the first person to test the device. That man has balls of brass. The Chilean government is controlling the video, so no one knew they had a camera set up down in the chamber that has been set up by the miners, so when I saw the rescue pod entering the chamber, and the rescuer emerge and immediately get hugged by the men who hadn't seen another human being for over 60 days, it was amazing and very emotional.

But nothing prepared me for when the first miner emerged from the ground. He was greeted by his wife and son, who seems just a little older than my son. The boy was crying the entire time his father was coming up the rescue shaft. As soon as he saw his dad, who he probably feared he would never see again, he screamed out "PAPA!" and ran into his arms. I am crying again just thinking about that moment.

Below is a link on MSN where you can watch the rescue live as it unfolds. I will not be able to breath easy until they are all out of what could have been their tomb and are brought back up above the ground.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... &GT1=43001 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39632101#39632101?from=en-us_msnhp&GT1=43001)

RATA MUERTA
10-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes I have been paying close attention to this, made me cry to see them coming out this morning!!

johnboy
10-13-2010, 10:52 AM
I have been plying a lot of attention to this also. I couldn't sleep again last night and turned the TV over to the news just after the first guy had been brought up. I did see the oldest guy come up though this morning/lunch time. 63 and he's been down the mines since he was 12! WTF??????? Very emotional to see these guys who many probably thought were never going to get out, never mind get out alive!

RATA MUERTA
10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Yes it is the longest anyone has ever survived that far down for that long!!

DB4
10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Last night, I watched the first of the 33 miners in Chilie being rescued...

:applause: It's about time.

On a side note: I would hate to be the last guy out. Imagine that the final two are going to have the most intense game over Paper, Rock, Scissors ever!!!

RATA MUERTA
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Last night, I watched the first of the 33 miners in Chilie being rescued...

:applause: It's about time.

On a side note: I would hate to be the last guy out. Imagine that the final two are going to have the most intense game over Paper, Rock, Scissors ever!!!
What I though was so noble was their foreman that is down there with them volunteered to go last, we can learn a lot from these miners.

johnboy
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
We can learn a lot from these miners.

Yes, don't work down a mine, far underground!

Borlaxx
10-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Apparently the foreman is the one who is credited with keeping them alive by taking the rations that were supposed to be for two days and making them last MUCH longer until they could get food and water from the surface. Without his planning and keeping control of the situation, they would have all starved to death before help from the surface arrived. That man is a hero.

CELockwood
10-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Just an all around incredible story. My father was a miner, so these type of stories always grab my attention. NPR ran a story this week discussing how all of the trapped miners have signed a pact basically agreeing to profit from their story as a group, rather than one or two guys selling movie rights and making a mint while the other guys go back to work.

The idea being that they feel they can work this out so they never have to go down in a mine again. I can't imagine that anyone could after this experience. I hope everything works out well for these guys. What they've been through puts a lot of daily struggles in perspective.

Jackie R
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Today is a very great day indeed. So nice to see a news story that turns for the better and not the other way around. A real example of the human spirit triumphing over adversity. :applause:

DB4
10-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Just an all around incredible story. My father was a miner, so these type of stories always grab my attention. NPR ran a story this week discussing how all of the trapped miners have signed a pact basically agreeing to profit from their story as a group, rather than one or two guys selling movie rights and making a mint while the other guys go back to work.

how did they manage to get that report? did some movie director swing by and drop them a note down the rations chute asking for a deal? Did the miners, instead of communicating valuable information with those above ground, decide to hash out plans to profit instead of saying "can we get some more bread so we don't die?"

that's a nice feel-good story but that seems fabricated based on their current situation.

I can see the miners doing something like that., but the process of making sure that information getting to the media is what baffles me.

Borlaxx
10-13-2010, 11:35 AM
The miners have been communicating with the surface for a long time via radio and videos. They have been relaying valuable info and communicating a bit with their families. I am sure there have been informed about the world wide attention this is getting. It isn't hard to imagine they realize that this WILL be turned into a movie, and I applaud them for wanting to see any benefit from their horrible ordeal as a group rather than individuals. Just about everything they have said is being reported to the media because the world is enthralled by their story, so why would this info be any different?

Regardless, any doubts about motivations and accuracy need to be left for another day. Now is not the time to to be negative. Now is a time to celebrate their survival.

RATA MUERTA
10-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Now is not the time to to be negative. Now is a time to celebrate their survival.
Yeah, what he said!!

DB4
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
my bad.

Major Stains
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I loved the 3rd guy out. "Super Mario" they call him, he just went nuts, getting the rescuers all chanting. Even bought them all a rock.
Great to see Chile perform such a feat of engineering. I think it was something like 200ft @ 11 degrees then vertical, and POP, right in the chamber.
I can't drill that staight in a 4" concrete block.

If the same thing happened in the UK, I fear they would be down there till 2012. Hats off Chile and fingers crossed for the remaining few :-ss

Borlaxx
10-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I loved the 3rd guy out. "Super Mario" they call him, he just went nuts, getting the rescuers all chanting. Even bought them all a rock.
Great to see Chile perform such a feat of engineering. I think it was something like 200ft @ 11 degrees then vertical, and POP, right in the chamber.
I can't drill that staight in a 4" concrete block.

If the same thing happened in the UK, I fear they would be down there till 2012. Hats off Chile and fingers crossed for the remaining few :-ss
This apparently was a world effort. Yes, Chile has done a fantastic job in coordinating everything and deserves the vast majority of the praise. Apparently the machine they are using to pull them out is from Australia, the hole was dug by an American company, and the liquid diet they were started on to keep them from getting nauseous was donated by NASA. In this day and age of constant conflicts, it is nice to see people cooperating for a common goal.

johnboy
10-13-2010, 02:23 PM
World effort, but only if your country begins with the letter A. A bit like sesame street.

Lumchan
10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
We watched this too. It has been running constantly on the Spanish channels here. It only gets a short mention on the local news though. Definitely an amazing story and rescue effort.

Borlaxx
10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
So glad to see they are all out!!! Amazing, just amazing.

johnboy
10-14-2010, 09:57 AM
If I heard right this morning, the miners are looking to sue whoever they feel is responsible. I'm guessing that would be the company that runs the mine.

CELockwood
10-14-2010, 10:12 AM
If I heard right this morning, the miners are looking to sue whoever they feel is responsible. I'm guessing that would be the company that runs the mine.

I didn't hear the first part, but I wouldn't doubt it. The mine owners have been noticeably absent from the media reports.

Borlaxx
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM

I didn't hear the first part, but I wouldn't doubt it. The mine owners have been noticeably absent from the media reports.
From what I have heard, which could be wrong, the mine owners were pretty much just going to let them die, and the goverment had to step in and handle the rescue.

Jackie R
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
From what I have heard, which could be wrong, the mine owners were pretty much just going to let them die, and the goverment had to step in and handle the rescue.
Looks like the almighty $ took precedence over human life for the company brass....just terrible.