PDA

View Full Version : Netflix on Wii now without a disc

TrojanTeacher
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Just download the Netflix channel to your Wii and viola!

TheFreak75
10-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Nice have to check when I get home.

johnboy
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
We brits don't get netflix. We get BBC iplayer.

gort
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I love it! We watch Netflix a lot, so that means a lot of disc swapping. No more!

Mutt
10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I sent away for the disc last week and they said it would take 3 days to get it. 6 days letter I get an e-mail saying that you can download it from the Shopping Channel. So I think they never sent it, lol. For 8 bucks a months it's awesome! I'm impressed with the quality, although the Wii can't support HD. Streaming HD would consume a lot of bandwidth. I don't have the component cables, just the composite that came with the Wii. I don't think you'd see much of a different with SD. It's super easy to use, I like how they use thumbnails to fast forward and rewind.

It's cheap but I can't see paying it month to month right now. The selection is too sparse, although I'm sure the library will expand over time as Netflix makes deals with studios. It's new here in Canada, what is the selection like in the States? How old are your New Releases? Bandwidth with ISPs might be an issue, my cap is 60 GB a month and it wouldn't take long to go over that I think.

=1LT=Mike
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Mutt]I sent away for the disc last week and they said it would take 3 days to get it. 6 days letter I get an e-mail saying that you can download it from the Shopping Channel. So I think they never sent it, lol. For 8 bucks a months it's awesome! I'm impressed with the quality, although the Wii can't support HD. Streaming HD would consume a lot of bandwidth. I don't have the component cables, just the composite that came with the Wii. I don't think you'd see much of a different with SD. It's super easy to use, I like how they use thumbnails to fast forward and rewind.

It's cheap but I can't see paying it month to month right now. The selection is too sparse, although I'm sure the library will expand over time as Netflix makes deals with studios. It's new here in Canada, what is the selection like in the States? How old are your New Releases? Bandwidth with ISPs might be an issue, my cap is 60 GB a month and it wouldn't take long to go over that I think.
The selection in the states is awesome. There are over 60,000 titles online. Lots of "seasons" of shows. I've been watching Weeds from the start all online. Its awesome because you can stream a movie on your wii then pause and pick up where you left off on your laptop or iphone/itouch. I love netflix. I downloaded the netflix channel today and I'm jacked about not having to change discs.

Mutt
10-19-2010, 09:47 PM
The selection in the states is awesome. There are over 60,000 titles online. Lots of "seasons" of shows. I've been watching Weeds from the start all online. Its awesome because you can stream a movie on your wii then pause and pick up where you left off on your laptop or iphone/itouch. I love netflix. I downloaded the netflix channel today and I'm jacked about not having to change discs.

Yeah there's no way we have that many titles, if I had to guess a couple thousand tops. If you guys have 60k I can't see it taking too long for us to get more title and I'm sure we'll get a lotmore. A service like this gets my support. No need to go to video store. It's the price of 1-2 VODs. You can watch it on your TV, computers and iDevices. Video stores and such are going to be obsolete in 10 years I think.

=1LT=Mike
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Mutt][quote="=1LT=Mike":3vmmixml]The selection in the states is awesome. There are over 60,000 titles online. Lots of "seasons" of shows. I've been watching Weeds from the start all online. Its awesome because you can stream a movie on your wii then pause and pick up where you left off on your laptop or iphone/itouch. I love netflix. I downloaded the netflix channel today and I'm jacked about not having to change discs.

Yeah there's no way we have that many titles, if I had to guess a couple thousand tops. If you guys have 60k I can't see it taking too long for us to get more title and I'm sure we'll get a lotmore. A service like this gets my support. No need to go to video store. It's the price of 1-2 VODs. You can watch it on your TV, computers and iDevices. Video stores and such are going to be obsolete in 10 years I think.[/quote:3vmmixml]
I agree about the video stores. I haven't used one in years. I used redbox for awhile but I have been a netflix guy for a good long while.

xMisFitToyx
10-22-2010, 07:13 AM
I downloaded this the other night and its great..........with the Wii, you do not have to use your computer to add movies to your instant watch queue. With my Blu Ray player I had to use my computer to add movies to my queue.

johnboy
10-22-2010, 09:10 AM
[quote="[MP]Mutt":2tz3cfwg][quote="=1LT=Mike":2tz3cfwg] Video stores and such are going to be obsolete in 10 years I think.
I agree about the video stores. I haven't used one in years. I used redbox for awhile but I have been a netflix guy for a good long while.[/quote:2tz3cfwg][/quote:2tz3cfwg]

Video stores FTW!!!!!! I still use the one and only one in my town and it's not a chain, it's a one off store and they have been going for about 25 years. We have had a couple of chain video stores come and go over the past 10 or 15 years and they only lasted about a year or so. I don't really like downloading stuff, it doesn't somehow seem real to me and I also want to watch films on my TV not my laptop. When I can get stuff straight to the TV I might change my mind. The only other way is to pay a fortune to get the movie channels, 14 in all plus 11 of them also in HD. We can also order stuff through sky box office, but only when there's something we want to watch.

Mutt
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
You are watching it on your TV if your using a Wii or PS3. The writing is on the wall for video stores. Look at Roger's video for example. Half of the store is video games, cell phone kiosks, various collectible merchandise. They really only have new releases for selections and the old releases is scarce. I remember when they used to have tons of old releases and 80% of the store was actually movies. It feels like they don't know what their identity is anymore and are filling half of the store with merchandise other than DVD/Blu-Ray rentals. Mark my words johnboy. There will not be another format war and these stores are going to be gone in a decade or less.

TonkaToys
10-25-2010, 07:20 AM
<offtopic> Can you play DVDs on the WII? I'm doing up our spare room as a playroom for the kids and was hoping to use the WII to play DVDs for them, rather than buying another device. </offtopic>

xMisFitToyx
10-25-2010, 07:36 AM
<offtopic> Can you play DVDs on the WII? I'm doing up our spare room as a playroom for the kids and was hoping to use the WII to play DVDs for them, rather than buying another device. </offtopic>
Nope

TonkaToys
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Boooo! Oh well, just have to get another PS3 then!

Do you think the wife will go for that?

johnboy
10-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Tonka you not got an old PS2? That's what I use as a dvd player upstairs.

TonkaToys
10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Tonka you not got an old PS2? That's what I use as a dvd player upstairs.

What a good idea! Durrrrr... why didn't I think of that!

Cheers :cheers:

Raider
10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Yep, my neighbors were telling me about this last Saturday night....added it and loved it.....I had to move some stuff to a memory card to get it to fit on the Wii......Now I have to figure out what I'm willing to get rid of or move to fit Black Ops on there. I'm sure that's going to take up some blocks of memory. :D

Mutt
10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Yep, my neighbors were telling me about this last Saturday night....added it and loved it.....I had to move some stuff to a memory card to get it to fit on the Wii......Now I have to figure out what I'm willing to get rid of or move to fit Black Ops on there. I'm sure that's going to take up some blocks of memory. :D

Streaming doesn't take any storage space. The channel takes a 100 blocks of memory and that's it. If you have a lot of games from the VC, just move them over to your SD card.

Raider
10-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Actually, you can watch DVD's on your Wii....if you're willing to hack your Wii. :D

Lumchan
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I love this too. I am really happy they added a search feature too.

TrojanTeacher
11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Re: DVD's on the Wii

I hear there are glitches to games (Like the Zelda game) where if you eject the game at a specific time it was somehow read DVD's. Never done it, but I know it's out there.

Trez
11-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Re: DVD's on the Wii

I hear there are glitches to games (Like the Zelda game) where if you eject the game at a specific time it was somehow read DVD's. Never done it, but I know it's out there.
I think you're thinking of the Twilight Hack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_hack). It does allow you to read DVD's (among many other things) but you also have to install HomeBrew to make it work.

TonkaToys
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Oooooo... well the IT geek in me thinks, yeah let's try hacking the Wii. :devil:

But then, the Dad in me says best not SNAFU the kids' Wii! O:-)

Law
11-05-2010, 06:53 AM
The selection of available movies is what I'm concerned about...It seems they offer a lot of, how should I say this,,,crappy titles, b movies and stuff I would never watch.

xMisFitToyx
11-05-2010, 07:04 AM
The selection of available movies is what I'm concerned about...It seems they offer a lot of, how should I say this,,,crappy titles, b movies and stuff I would never watch.

They don't stream the new stuff.......But that is why they send you DVD's

We get a couple of DVD's a week ..... every week to see the newest stuff.....

I give Netflix a big :-bd

Borlaxx
11-05-2010, 07:13 AM
The streaming stuff is great for kids stuff. There are a lot of cartoons on there, at least on the PS3 (assuming same selection for the wii).

xMisFitToyx
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I use my Wii......I have a Blu-Ray player that streams Netflix...........and my son uses his laptop a lot to watch shows....It is very versatile ........ I have actually watched Netflix @ my sisters by using my account ....streamed it through her laptop to her TV......... :D

gort
11-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I use my Wii......I have a Blu-Ray player that streams Netflix...........and my son uses his laptop a lot to watch shows....It is very versatile ........ I have actually watched Netflix @ my sisters by using my account ....streamed it through her laptop to her TV......... :D

Apparently everyone loves Netflix so much that we are starting to eat up a lot of the bandwidth in the US, where broadband capacity is not so hot:

http://www.slate.com/id/2273314?nav=wp

Mutt
11-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Apparently everyone loves Netflix so much that we are starting to eat up a lot of the bandwidth in the US, where broadband capacity is not so hot:

http://www.slate.com/id/2273314?nav=wp

I would believe it. The last time I checked the Nintendo Channel Netflix was in 3rd place for game time at 27 hours. I'm sure it's up to 50-60 hours now. I heard it uses about 1GB an hour. My cap is 60 GB a month. It's realistic to think that this is going to be the future of movie rentals though, so ISPs will have to do something.

gort
11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I would believe it. The last time I checked the Nintendo Channel Netflix was in 3rd place for game time at 27 hours. I'm sure it's up to 50-60 hours now. I heard it uses about 1GB an hour. My cap is 60 GB a month. It's realistic to think that this is going to be the future of movie rentals though, so ISPs will have to do something.

Yeah, I keep waiting for the cable company to announce they are raising our cap. I don't see how they can avoid it when everyone starts busting the limit. Ours is currently 250 GB, and we use 80-110 GB a month. That's mostly Netflix.

Mutt
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM

Yeah, I keep waiting for the cable company to announce they are raising our cap. I don't see how they can avoid it when everyone starts busting the limit. Ours is currently 250 GB, and we use 80-110 GB a month. That's mostly Netflix.

I'll use Comcast as an example. I suspect that they don't want to make it easier for you to consume all you can eat for 8 bucks a month and would rather that you pay for their digital box or premium channels on the cable side of things. It will be interesting what happens.