PDA

View Full Version : Fallout New Vegas

10-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Did any of you pick up this game today? Is it any good? If so, I might pick it up after Christmas.

Retro
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM
It's amazing!!!

RATA MUERTA
10-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I am also interested. Is it better to pick up an older Fallout or is this new one a big improvement over previous Fallout games?

Retro
10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
They have updated some of the game play for the new one. But if you've never played it and want to be sure before shelling out the cash, I'd pick up Fallout 3. If you like RPG games, you will love it. It has a nice slow pace at the start to get you started but when you get out into the world, its no holds barred.

It has an amazing feeling and tone. You really feel isolated and alone and then when you come across people who will help you, you actaully feel a sense of relief. The game is so immersive, it just sucks you in.

Psalm
10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Its a mix of a RPG and a FPS isn't it?

Retro
10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Its a mix of a RPG and a FPS isn't it?
Yes, more on the RPG side. The game is huge, it's supppose to be bigger than 3 and that one had well over 120 hours of game play if you explored everywhere. Then of course there was the DLC stuff which was great and added at least another 15 to 20 hours.

TheFreak75
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
QUESTION: Is it an entirely new game or an expansion of the old one?

Retro
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Completely new game

Psalm
10-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Is there a Multi-player element to this game?

RATA MUERTA
10-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Cool, I might pick this up later on or in the New Year because of all the new games I am already getting. I love RPGs so I think I will be happy.

Retro
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Is there a Multi-player element to this game?
No multiplayer

TrojanTeacher
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Is this game sort of like a Half-Life type game?

Tracer-M_D_C
10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I got just started last night, only just a little bit of gameplay as I had to meticulously create my character to look like me.
Ok, not THAT much time on it but my daughter thought it was hilarious that I was spending time adjusting my eyebrows.
Sounds like Retro has gotten farther than I have yet, but it seems to have everything I loved about Fallout 3 and some improvements.
I've always liked turn-based tactical combat, and you get the option of that and/or realtime.
Very deep RPG elements as far as creating your character.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I got just started last night, only just a little bit of gameplay as I had to meticulously create my character to look like me.
Ok, not THAT much time on it but my daughter thought it was hilarious that I was spending time adjusting my eyebrows.
Sounds like Retro has gotten farther than I have yet, but it seems to have everything I loved about Fallout 3 and some improvements.
I've always liked turn-based tactical combat, and you get the option of that and/or realtime.
Very deep RPG elements as far as creating your character.

I'm loving this too. I haven't made it very far. My character is level 9 or 10. I always find myself wandering off into the desert to look at something I've glimpsed from the top of a mountain (binoculars are cool) so it takes me a while to get back on the main quest line.

Anyone have save game issues? I'm playing on the PC and initially the saved game system was screwed up and I lost a bit of progress a couple of times, but they seemed to have patched it now.

DayliteMag
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
I'm playing on the PC and initially the saved game system was screwed up...

Aha! Traitor! Think you can go sneaking around playing games on your PC and not have your neglected, 360-Crew find out about it, eh? BUSTED!!!! :spank:

SlapLaB
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Is this game sort of like a Half-Life type game?

It's more "oblivion with guns"...

I guess it's got the same "sci-fi" vibe as half-life, but half-life is a FPS, whereas this is really a RPG with a bit of "FPS" included (if you want it, because you can pretty much pause anytime and do turn-by-turn combat).

I played the original Fallout 3 but the gameplay is almost identical I read.

For me it's a pass, I liked the original but it didn't blow me away, and this is more of the same...

Tracer-M_D_C
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm loving this too. I haven't made it very far. My character is level 9 or 10. I always find myself wandering off into the desert to look at something I've glimpsed from the top of a mountain (binoculars are cool) so it takes me a while to get back on the main quest line.

Anyone have save game issues? I'm playing on the PC and initially the saved game system was screwed up and I lost a bit of progress a couple of times, but they seemed to have patched it now.

I think I'm only 9 now also because I keep getting drawn away by shiny things too. But half of what I love about the game is that freedom to go and do whatever you want. That and tinkering with the weapons and recipes for aid and items.
I'm on the PS3, and while I haven't had any problems saving, have had 2 or 3 full lockups... :cuss:

Borlaxx
10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I may pick this up with my end of year bonus. I have been wanting a good RPG to play since beating Dragon Age. Picked up FF13 I believe it was from the library, but JRPGs just don't do it for me anymore. Boring.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm playing on the PC and initially the saved game system was screwed up...

Aha! Traitor! Think you can go sneaking around playing games on your PC and not have your neglected, 360-Crew find out about it, eh? BUSTED!!!! :spank:

Nice try, but nope. This is additive game time. My 360 is hooked up to the family's main television, so I'm only playing Fallout when I can't have the TV.

B-)

Retro
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Haven't really had any issues yet that are major. Just where my gun will "shift" up so it kind of looks like it's half way between a normal carry and switching to scope.

I'm taking my sweet time with the game and really just exploring right now. I did come across my first Deathclaw the other day, I hate those things! The Nightstalkers are creepy as hell too, half wild dog and half rattlesnake!! Whoever came up with that was on a serious LSD trip.

Tracer-M_D_C
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
... My 360 is hooked up to the family's main television, so I'm only playing Fallout when I can't have the TV.
B-)

I know the feeling... I turned on picture-in-picture on Saturday so Mrs. Tracer could watch her team play on half the TV while I was playing Fallout on the other half. Not quite optimal, but I'm no dummy...

Borlaxx
10-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Hmmm, I may pass on this unless they do some MAJOR patching. Gamespots review basically says the game is fantastic, EXCEPT it is full of horrible glitches. There were some glitches in Dragon Age, as there is in pretty much every RPG that is this huge, but it sounds like this game was rushed to the market without good quality control. Hopefully they will fix some of this stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/fallout ... ot;title;4 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/falloutnewvegas/review.html?tag=topslot;title;4)

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Haven't really had any issues yet that are major. Just where my gun will "shift" up so it kind of looks like it's half way between a normal carry and switching to scope.

I'm taking my sweet time with the game and really just exploring right now. I did come across my first Deathclaw the other day, I hate those things! The Nightstalkers are creepy as hell too, half wild dog and half rattlesnake!! Whoever came up with that was on a serious LSD trip.

The save game issues on the PC were really annoying. It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but basically quicksaves and autosaves reverted to some previous version every time you exited the game. Seems to be fixed now.

Encountered my first Nightkin, recently. Now that's spooky.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Hmmm, I may pass on this unless they do some MAJOR patching. Gamespots review basically says the game is fantastic, EXCEPT it is full of horrible glitches. There were some glitches in Dragon Age, as there is in pretty much every RPG that is this huge, but it sounds like this game was rushed to the market without good quality control. Hopefully they will fix some of this stuff.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/fallout ... ot;title;4 (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/falloutnewvegas/review.html?tag=topslot;title;4)

I have to say (again playing on the PC), I have not encountered any of these, yet (except for the save game issue which seems to be fixed). I've had 3 or 4 crashes during several hours of gameplay and none since the last patch.

I am admittedly, not very far into the game, though.

Retro
10-25-2010, 11:48 AM
The PC patch has been released and pretty much fixes everything. The patch for PS3/360 is suppose to be out in the next week or 2, but I really haven't had a problem. Plus Gamespot said MoH was the best multiplayer FPS of the year!

SlapLaB
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I have been wanting a good RPG to play since beating Dragon Age.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1106 (http://teammp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1106)

:-" ;;) :D

Seriously, it is really *that* good... At least rent it...

Retro
10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
The best source for anything Fallout.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

Borlaxx
10-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I have thought about getting DS, but I have heard it is so hard it isn't fun.

Tracer-M_D_C
10-25-2010, 12:52 PM
I've almost bought it a few times, but keep hearing the same. Maybe when it's come down in $ enough I won't feel burned if I don't like it.
Problem right now is that there are games I KNOW I want coming out back-to-back...

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
The best source for anything Fallout.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki

Fallout Online? There's a scary concept. For my own sake, I hope that does not make it to market. I don't have that much time.

RATA MUERTA
10-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I have been playing Borderlands a bit recently and I really like it, do any of you guys play? It combines FPS and RPG and is a open world like you describe DS and Oblivion (which I haven't tried but it looks like I'd love it). It is worth checking out.

SlapLaB
10-26-2010, 06:46 AM
I've almost bought it a few times, but keep hearing the same. Maybe when it's come down in $ enough I won't feel burned if I don't like it.
Problem right now is that there are games I KNOW I want coming out back-to-back...

It is not too hard... If you "run and gun" then yes, it is hard...
At the beginning I went through entire levels step by step, listening to every sound, looking round every corner, reading all messages, and I rarely died...
After you get the blue stone (which allows you to do co-op) you can explore any level while having no consequence if you die (you just return to your own world).
Once you know the traps and the enemies, find a strategy to reach and defeat the boss.

Basically it does not require you to be an ace of the joypad...
I found other games much harder in that respect...

But anyway, I'm going off-topic ;)

CELockwood
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Anyone else play though Vault 34, yet? Damnit, that took me long time.

Retro
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I am taking my sweet time with the game

Retro
11-17-2010, 12:47 PM
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/113/1135174p1.html

First DLC coming December 21st.

Borlaxx
12-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I picked up a copy of this game, but after reading about all the horrid glitches in this game on the PS3, and having dealt with the problems in BO, I took it back and got something else. Besides, between the other games I picked up this weekend (Borderlands GOTY Edition, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, Bayonetta and Guitar Hero Metallica) and BC Vietnam I doubt I would have the time to play this game.

CELockwood
12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm still chugging along with this one between bc2 rounds. I like it quite a bit, though I have had several crashes since the last patch, and I've lost my dog (anybody see him?).

Tracer-M_D_C
12-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I had to start over after the 'crash of 2010' on the PS3, and was not looking forward to replaying hours of the game... but it's so freaking big that it's actually like playing a new game altogether! I've run across new places, people and equipment.
I've had one freeze since the patch, and it is a bit lame to see a radscorpion stuck in a boulder occasionally, but nothing that's made me want to shut it down. That happens when I've forgotten to save for 30 minutes and do something dumb and die L-)
I haven't come across a dog I can pick up yet. I did get Dogmeat in Fallout 3, but man was he dumb. He ended up drowning himself in a river and I thought it was best for both of us that way.

Borlaxx
12-20-2010, 10:11 AM
That is one of the reasons I returned it. Read that the AI is absolutely horrible.

Tracer-M_D_C
12-20-2010, 10:57 AM
That is one of the reasons I returned it. Read that the AI is absolutely horrible.
I have two companions now (non-animal) that are working out great, and give the benefit of their skills.

CELockwood
12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I had to start over after the 'crash of 2010' on the PS3, and was not looking forward to replaying hours of the game... but it's so freaking big that it's actually like playing a new game altogether! I've run across new places, people and equipment.
I've had one freeze since the patch, and it is a bit lame to see a radscorpion stuck in a boulder occasionally, but nothing that's made me want to shut it down. That happens when I've forgotten to save for 30 minutes and do something dumb and die L-)
I haven't come across a dog I can pick up yet. I did get Dogmeat in Fallout 3, but man was he dumb. He ended up drowning himself in a river and I thought it was best for both of us that way.

The path I took, I didn't find the dog for quite a while either. I won't give away any spoilers, but at one point you discover a location that you can send your companions to stay if you want to use other companions (so they are all in one place). I sent my dog there, and apparently he got lost because he's not where he's supposed to be damnit.

Borlaxx
12-20-2010, 11:54 AM

The path I took, I didn't find the dog for quite a while either. I won't give away any spoilers, but at one point you discover a location that you can send your companions to stay if you want to use other companions (so they are all in one place). I sent my dog there, and apparently he got lost because he's not where he's supposed to be damnit.
I thought I read that with the new update companions are supposed to show up as points on your map. Maybe you can find the dog this way?

CELockwood
12-20-2010, 11:55 AM

I thought I read that with the new update companions are supposed to show up as points on your map. Maybe you can find the dog this way?

They do, but I think only the active companions show up. He's technically not an active companion since I sent him home, but I haven't really looked for him on the map. I'll give it a try.

12-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Finally picked up the game this week. It has been so awesome so far. I am not very far into the game yet but it looks to be as epic as Fallout 3.

Psalm
12-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I got this and Fallout 3 for Christmas....I am going to play Fallout 3 first....then this.

BERZERKERTICK
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I got this and Fallout 3 for Christmas....I am going to play Fallout 3 first....then this.

wish I would have done it that way but either way they will be played.

and by the way, what level is everyone in New Vegas?

and someone posted this earlier but it has helped me in a few tough spots
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_New_Vegas

CELockwood
01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Just saw this post.

I'm still slowly playing this, but I've made it to level 28.

Love the game, but a few of the bugs are annoying. Lost my dog and had to reload an older save game to get him back. Only lost about 5 minutes of game play, but if I hadn't noticed, I'd have been ticked later on.

Retro
01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm back to playing this, the last patch pretty much fixed everything. I've spent most of my time just exploring, although in the last few days I went from level 5 to 16. I had given up on it as the bugs and glitches were just ruinning it for me, but the patch has made all the difference. I think when I'm done I'm going to go and pick up Fallout 3 again and give it another play through.

CELockwood
01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm back to playing this, the last patch pretty much fixed everything. I've spent most of my time just exploring, although in the last few days I went from level 5 to 16. I had given up on it as the bugs and glitches were just ruinning it for me, but the patch has made all the difference. I think when I'm done I'm going to go and pick up Fallout 3 again and give it another play through.

I thought about doing that too, but then realized, who I am a kidding? I'll be lucky to get the time to finish this one. I've been wanting to try Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as well. Not enough time.

Retro
01-23-2011, 08:22 PM

I thought about doing that too, but then realized, who I am a kidding? I'll be lucky to get the time to finish this one. I've been wanting to try Fable 3 and Dragon Age 2 as well. Not enough time.
I'll probably get Dragon Age, but I just can't get into the Fable games. I liked Fable 2 when I first started but got bored pretty quickly.

I don't really know if I'll replay Fallout 3 (I already did 3 play throughs of it already). As much as I love the Fallout games they are kind of depressing too.

Tracer-M_D_C
01-24-2011, 09:39 AM
wish I would have done it that way but either way they will be played.

and by the way, what level is everyone in New Vegas?

and someone posted this earlier but it has helped me in a few tough spots
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_New_Vegas
I'm back up to 22 - first game got lost when PS3 bit the dust :cuss:

Tracer-M_D_C
01-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I can't figure out the root cause..but NV has been locking up on me constantly the last few days. It's gotten to the point that I just want to get it finished and trade it in...

CELockwood
01-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Are you playing on the ps3?

Tracer-M_D_C
01-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Oh sorry... yea!

CELockwood
01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Oh sorry... yea!

Can't help you, then. Bummer. I play on the PC, and while I did have quite a bit of crashing initially, as they've rolled out patches it got better and better and it looks like it's fixed now.

I need to get back to it; I haven't played in about week.

Retro
01-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Oh sorry... yea!

Can't help you, then. Bummer. I play on the PC, and while I did have quite a bit of crashing initially, as they've rolled out patches it got better and better and it looks like it's fixed now.

I need to get back to it; I haven't played in about week.
I had a bunch of issues on the 360 until the patch, I haven't had a problem since. I gave up on the game until the patch as it just became unplayable.

Tracer-M_D_C
01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
I had a bunch of issues on the 360 until the patch, I haven't had a problem since. I gave up on the game until the patch as it just became unplayable.

That's what's really frustrating me... they put out some patches after initial release, and other than occasionally stuttering while moving around (not me, the game :D ) I had no problems until just this week.
Then this week these major problems started: freezing up intermittently, three times the framerate slowed to slideshow speed. There was a PS update pushed out recently, but this is the only game I'm having issues with. You're right though, I'm gonna have to shelve it and see if it gets corrected...

Retro
01-31-2011, 03:37 PM
When I was having the problems I was very close to trading it in and just waiting until the usual "Game of the Year" edition comes out with all the DLC. Figure by that point everything would be fixed. I don't remember all these issues with Fallout 3, but then I waited about 8 or 9 months to finally get that game. Of course I bought it and then 2 or 3 months later they released the GOY edition :cuss:

CELockwood
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Finished this one today. Pretty good story. I'll put it down for while and maybe come back later for a replay with lots of different choices.

Retro
08-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Well I started playing this again a few weeks ago and finally finished it last night. When I started playing a few weeks back there was a large title update and pretty much all the problems I had encountered before were gone. The game did freeze once but, that can happen with every game.

While I would give Fallout 3 a perfect 10, New Vegas gets a 9.7. It was great, much bigger world that FO3. But I found the story from FO3 to be just a bit better. Can't wait until Fallout 4 comes out!!!!

CELockwood
08-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I enjoyed both, but probably give the edge to 3.

I found myself going back to play 3 a couple of times. Not sure if I'll go back to this one, but I'm glad I bought it.

Bongtoker A2
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I picked this game up a few weeks ago at Best Buy for $9.99. Most of the time I avoid games this big,but for 9 bucks I thought I would give it a try and now I can't stop playing it.

ustolemygmrtag
08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
I might pick this up, and FO3. I have never played them.

Retro
08-24-2011, 12:33 AM
I might pick this up, and FO3. I have never played them.
Make sure you get the "Game of the Year" edition for FO3, it's under $20 brand new now. All the DLC it includes is worth the price alone. I'd get it first as I'm guessing New Vegas will be getting the "GOY" treatment sometime after Christmas.

Bongtoker A2
09-29-2011, 10:17 AM
The combat shotgun rules in this game, I think I am up up to level 21 and still have a lot to do.

Retro
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
[yt:1fbbedd8]VTjE1FgpWcM&feature=g-all-f&context=G2da99f9FAAAAAAAAPAA[/yt:1fbbedd8]