PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody read anymore??

sniperella
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey, just wondering if any of you manage to cut your games off long enough to read any good books these days? Yes, books, those things with covers, that you open, and they have pages full of words inside! :)) Anyway, just curious, I love to read, and just wondered if anyone esle does, and what they like to read, etc.?! ;)

=1LT=Mike
10-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I love to read. I always have a book with me at work for downtime. Right now I'm reading "Where men win glory" by Jon Krakauer. It's about Pat Tillman and his death in Afghanistan. It's a great book so far. Love books on CD too.

TrojanTeacher
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm almost done with the Twilight series.

NOT! But for some strange reason, I decided to start reading the Narnia books again.

CB-40
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM
I always have a WWII history on my nightstand. Some I get through quicker than others but I do continue to read. Anything by Stephen Ambrose (Band of Brothers/Pegasus Bridge), Alex Kershaw (The Few/Escape From the Deep) or James Bradley (Flags of Our Fathers/Flyboys) are great imo.

Psalm
10-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I am reading thru the W.E.B. Griffin series " A presidential agent"...I am on book 4 "the shooters".
I always am reading something. I try to read at least 1 book a week.

Borlaxx
10-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I read these forums? Does that count? I consider the posts here (except for Retro's) to be classic literature.

sniperella
10-20-2010, 06:28 AM
@borlax, I suppose the forum counts, it is one of my favorite things to read too!

Sounds like some interesting reading, but mostly war stuff, should have guessed on that. I watched the band of brothers when it first came out, I would love to read the books. I am pretty sure I have read something by Ambrose before. I read a lot and have found it hard to remember what I have read sometimes!

@Teach, I loved the Twilight series, how in the world did you ever know! You really should read them, I actually know a lot of men that have read them and liked them. Actually now I am disappointed in the books, I have started reading the Dead before Dawn (True Blood) books, and Twilight is a total rip off of the Sookie Stackhouse series! True Blood came out before Twilight, that woman got most of her ideas from the other series. Sucks, huh?

I like to read Jeffrey Deaver, especially the Lincoln Rhyme series (Bone Collector, the movie was based on these books, if you are more of a movie type person). I also like Ted Dekker, who writes psycho thrillers that mess with your mind!

Anyone else?? ;)

oscarthegrouch71
10-20-2010, 06:45 AM
I like to read at least half an hour a day if possible (usually to wind down after a session on BFBC2). Currently reading 'The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown which I am enjoying.... usually I read thrillers (Kathy Reichs, Linwood Barclay, etc.) but like to read the odd classic "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Catcher In the Rye", etc. (trying to persuade my eldest to read these at the moment). My favourite author has to be Clive Barker - "Weaveworld" is my all time favourite book. Also read a lot about climate change and the environment but I wont go there...... as its a very emotive subject. :-"

Jackie R
10-20-2010, 07:23 AM
I read these forums? Does that count? I consider the posts here (except for Retro's) to be classic literature.
+1 :))

Personally, I like to read non-fictional books (mostly sports related or biographies on former pro wrestlers). http://theadultgamer.com/images/smilies/wrestlingmove.gif

DayliteMag
10-20-2010, 07:27 AM
I read a book once....hurt my brain, don't do it anymore.

johnboy
10-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Currently reading 'The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown which I am enjoying.

Me too, I usually read in the bath as that's normally the most relaxing time I get, so it's taking some time to get through. I have all his other books and have enjoyed them all. I also like Jeremy Clarksons books, which are mainly about cars. He does a column in 'The Sunday Times' newspaper and the books are mostly made up from those, over a period of two or three years. Of course like Nate, I also read these forums, as well as Activision and sometimes the Black Ops forums.

Tembis
10-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Love to read. Not reading anything at the moment, but love to read Steven King and Dean Kuntz (spelling?). My favorite book as of now is The Dark Half by King. Great book.

Borlaxx
10-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Like books, reading this forum has increased my vocabulary. In the past year and a half I have added words like "pwn," "n00b," and "teabagger" to my repertoire.

Seriously, I need to read more. I used to read A LOT when I was getting my journalism degree, but I haven't read much other than this site, work related stuff, and gaming magazines in the past year. My all-time favorite books are 1984, The Shining, Lord of the Flies, and Frankenstein.

I am thinking about picking up Mark Twain's memoirs which just came out today. He didn't want them release until 100 years after his death. Would likely be great reading. The man was a smart-ass way ahead of his time.

Psalm
10-20-2010, 07:54 AM
I am thinking about picking up Mark Twain's memoirs which just came out today. He didn't want them release until 100 years after his death. Would likely be great reading. The man was a smart-ass way ahead of his time.
I saw that too...I bet that will be a great book

NormL_Rush
10-20-2010, 07:56 AM
A good book if anyone is interested in the military genre, is Operation Dark Heart. Preferably the one that didnt get cut and edited by the government.

CELockwood
10-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Hey, just wondering if any of you manage to cut your games off long enough to read any good books these days? Yes, books, those things with covers, that you open, and they have pages full of words inside! :)) Anyway, just curious, I love to read, and just wondered if anyone esle does, and what they like to read, etc.?! ;)

I love to read. My wife bought me a nook for Christmas last year as she's tired of our house filling up with books. I usually sit and read during my wife's TV time. I've read about 75 books on it since January. I read all types of stuff from history and science to pulp fiction. I just finished a re-read of Great Expectations and am now reading a Cory Doctorow novel called Little Brother.

@Teach, I actually did read the first Twilight novel. I can see the attraction for teenage girls, but it's not for me.

@Borlax, loved all of those books. Some of my favorites in fiction were Pet Semetary, the Bernie Rhodenbarr series from L. Block, Anthem, and anything by Arturo Pérez-Reverte.

CELockwood
10-20-2010, 08:29 AM
...I have started reading the Dead before Dawn (True Blood) books, and Twilight is a total rip off of the Sookie Stackhouse series! True Blood came out before Twilight, that woman got most of her ideas from the other series. Sucks, huh?

I read a couple of these, but they were just a tad too romantic for me. Otherwise, good stories. Did you read Anne Rice's stuff?

=T4NUKI=
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I do read quite a lot..... and I'll read almost anything, but I prefer novels with some historical content....
I just finished a novel called Child 44, about a secret police officer in post ww2 russia searching for a mass murderer....pretty cool, but I found out the ending by the time I have read half of it !!!!
I also liked the Berlin Trilogy, wich was set in the same time frame...

Borlaxx
10-20-2010, 08:51 AM
...I have started reading the Dead before Dawn (True Blood) books, and Twilight is a total rip off of the Sookie Stackhouse series! True Blood came out before Twilight, that woman got most of her ideas from the other series. Sucks, huh?

I read a couple of these, but they were just a tad too romantic for me. Otherwise, good stories. Did you read Anne Rice's stuff?
I really liked the Interview with the Vampire movie, so I read the book. Man, Rice's books are just full of homosexual content! Armand as an adult looking vampire played by Antonio Banderas in the movie = WIN! Armand being a child looking vampire that has the gay hots for Louis in the book = FAIL! I finished that book anyway because it was "cool" among the goth crowd I associated with at the time to read these books, but gave up on reading the second. I could tolerate the homosexual content if it served a purpose, but it was all needless and obviously put in to be "controversial." The Twilight series has gayed up Vampire lore even more to the point that I now hate this stupid romantic teenage vampire trend. I am waiting for the Twilight movie where Dracula show up and rips Edwards throat out.

dinsdale1978
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Well being Team MP's resident librarian (yes that's actually my job), I do read. In fact my wife is an extremely well read expert on Russian literature and poetry. I have been reading The Bear and the Dragon and A Game of Thrones at the moment. Well that and anything about the Disney Fairies thanks to my little one.

RATA MUERTA
10-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes I have always been very interested in books. I even spent 6 years working at Barnes & Noble and you will learn a lot working around books all the time and find things you didn't even know you would be interested in. I most recently read L'Étranger by Camus which was amazing!! I do dislike the "popular" novels, romance/hokey mystery novels and detest the teeny vampire mumbo jumbo (sorry fans), it's just that I prefer classic novels to what some authors call books today. A good vampire book that I did read recently was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova which was wordy but good and more for adults.
What I do enjoy in books besides the classics is Historical Fiction. I am a history buff and love it when a novel takes place during a real event in world history, it really puts you there.I have tons of favorite books that is just easier to list the authors that I like because generally I love all of their work: Isable Allende (my total favorite author) Paulo Coehlo, Gabriela Garcia Marquez, Phililppia Gregory, Geraldine Brooks, The Bronte Sisters, Jane Austen

CELockwood
10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
... A good vampire book that I did read recently was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova which was wordy but good and more for adults....

I loved this book. I may go back and re-read at some point. I have it hardcover, and while I love my nook, I do miss holding a book in my hands sometimes.

I've read Stoker's Dracula three or four times. Still one of the best vampire novels for me.

RATA MUERTA
10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
... A good vampire book that I did read recently was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova which was wordy but good and more for adults....

I loved this book. I may go back and re-read at some point. I have it hardcover, and while I love my nook, I do miss holding a book in my hands sometimes.

I've read Stoker's Dracula three or four times. Still one of the best vampire novels for me.

Yes CLASSICS RULE! :x

10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
As a fourth grade teacher, I don't read many adult books. I have read a few series that are not challenging, but fun to read. The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd (teenage vampire series ((It is awesome))), Percy Jackson series (Worst book to movie ever. Don't hold that against the books though.), and the series Hunger Games. I know these are not high level reads, but I am around kids all day. The only adult books I have read recently are The Terror and World War Z (Zombie book). The Terror took me forever to read but it is an awesome story about early explorers of the Arctic.

ustolemygmrtag
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I love to read when I have the time. Between school, work, kids and "Wife", I rarely have time anymore. The last book I read was a Non-Fiction book by Phil Valentine; "Right from the Heart". I love Steven King, Dean Koontz, and Gordon R. Dickenson. My favorite book so far to date would be "The Dark half". As I am getting older, I find myself drawn to book about current events. Non-Fiction types that are like Whistle blowers.

Currently, I am Reading allot of reference books pertaining to school. Like Java, Excel, Access, Photoshop, and Advances Operating systems. These are not my 1st choice in reading. But, never the less, I have to read them.

ProfUnderDog
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
I read A LOT for work so I find it hard to read in evenings, but when I do, especially on vacation, I really enjoy the historical/fiction stories these days. The Historian and Pillars of the Earth come to mind.

RATA MUERTA
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I read A LOT for work so I find it hard to read in evenings, but when I do, especially on vacation, I really enjoy the historical/fiction stories these days. The Historian and Pillars of the Earth come to mind.
Historical Fiction FTW!!!! If you need any suggestions I would be happy to give you some!

CB-40
10-20-2010, 10:48 AM
I also enjoy other historical fiction, including political stuff. I particularly like info from the Kennedy through Nixon years one of my favorites being All the President's Men. All of the dynamics leading up to and surrounding Watergate are quite intriguing....

Beano
10-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Reading "The Old Breed" by E.B Sledge. It's that guy in the recent miniseries 'The Pacific." He's the one from Mobile Alabama. Anyway very interesting to see things from his point of view.

CELockwood
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM

I really enjoyed Pillars of Earth, and it was the first of his that I had read. Anyone read the sequel? It's on my list to pick up but haven't gotten to it, yet.

=T4NUKI=
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Historical Fiction FTW!!!! If you need any suggestions I would be happy to give you some!

Rata, I'd like some please !

I LOVE a good novel when there's some kinda historical reference behind it !
Oh, and I like to read anything on WW2....I have a wall full of books on WW2 at home, it's my thing !

sniperella
10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I also enjoy the occasional historical fiction, I really enjoy reading about the Civil War, my favorite of those are the books by Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara, The Killer Angels, Gods and Generals. I love Dan Brown's books, I have not read the newest one yet, but I have various copies of DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I read all of those before the movies were ever made. I tend to get hooked on one author, then try to find and read every book they have written within limits, then move on to another one. Kind of weird I know, but that's just how I am. I have several authors that I have almost full collections of their wrtiting! I got sucked into the whole Twilight thing, but as I said before, having read something that came out long before those books, it is kind of disappointing, and the movies were crap. I usually don't do the romantic thing, and never really did the vampire thing until the twilight books. The True Blood books are just freakin' funny to me, not sure if they were meant to be taken more seriously, but I find myself laughing. Sometimes I like to read stuff that is not very challenging, just to let my brain get away without working too hard. I really prefer thrillers/mysteries/conspiracy theory type stuff, but need a break from those as they actually give me nightmares or really strange dreams. Like dreaming I was an assassin after reading a Ted Dekker novel. Weird. Anyway, keep the discussion going, I love talking about what I have read and seeing what other people have read and have to say about what they have read. I do like to attempt a classic every now and then, for example, I read all of the Lord of The Rings novels back to back one year. I plan to re-read all of the Narnia books at some point, but haven't gotten that far yet. School has kept me pretty busy. I did read a book about Watergate that I enjoyed, it was non-fiction, and I was so shocked to read about people that I know of from the news and radio world and what not. I did not find the events surrounding Watergate so shocking, because it almost seems common to me, but I could see how at the time of the events it would have been such a huge scandal. Kind of tuned us all into the crooked world of politics! I would love to read some historical fiction on that time period, as that seems more fun! OK, looks like I just wrote a short novel here, so I will end this one for now! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Jackie R
10-20-2010, 05:42 PM
The last book I read was sniperella's post. ;)

johnboy
10-20-2010, 06:13 PM

+1

Major Stains
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
[quote="RATA MUERTA":30vxuzdi]

Rata, I'd like some please !

I LOVE a good novel when there's some kinda historical reference behind it !
Oh, and I like to read anything on WW2....I have a wall full of books on WW2 at home, it's my thing ![/quote:30vxuzdi]

I seem to recall that Sebastian Faulkes- Birdsong, was a good read set in the trenches. I also thought Captain Corellis Mandelin was a good book ruined by a rubbish movie.
I used to love pretty heavy reading, but now just tend to opt for a light bit of fiction to submerse myself in, or a good graphic novel like Watchmen or some Terry Pratchett.
Oh, and my favourite kiddies book is the 'Gruffalo' didn't you know?

johnboy
10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Any of the Brits that have girls that like reading, check out Kate Davies books, The Great Hamster Massacre and The Great Rabbit Rescue. They are set in the village I grew up in (just 4 miles along the road from where I live now), as Katies family and my family grew up on the same street. She is married to Alan Davies off of the tv.
While I'm about it, Terry Deary is another good author (from north east England) who has written books for both adults and kids. I have some of his kids books that he used to give me for birthdays/Christmas. His wife is/was a good friend of my dad and stepmam. I still have 'The Custard Kid' upstairs. Its the only book of his that has travelled with me as I still enjoy reading it to this day.

sniperella
10-21-2010, 06:59 AM

+1
=)) =)) =)) I needed a morning laugh! Thanks! Parent teacher conferences today, I have a meeting with my daughter's teacher... :-ss

ProfUnderDog
10-21-2010, 07:24 AM
@Rata: any recommendations would be great. I've been looking for a book like The Historian for some time.

@Lockwood: I didn't even know there was a sequel to Pillars.

@Sniperella: I've been reading the Narnia books with my son, and just finished the original six. They are faster reads than LOTR (which are still may favorite books of all time), and are quite good though definitely aimed at a younger audience. Next up with my son his Lewis' prequel to Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

10-21-2010, 09:42 AM
@ProfUnderDog: Yes, the Narnia series is awesome. Good choice to read with your son too.

Lumchan
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I've always been an avid reader. I haven't read as much in the past couple of years. One of the best books I read recently though was The Places In Between by Rory Stewart. It was an amazing book. I also enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

The last book I read was Charlotte's Web with the kids. We did a whole theme, read the book, saw a play, and watched the movie.

CELockwood
10-21-2010, 10:37 AM
@Rata: any recommendations would be great. I've been looking for a book like The Historian for some time.

@Lockwood: I didn't even know there was a sequel to Pillars.

World Without End

I haven't read it, yet.

ustolemygmrtag
10-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I also enjoy the occasional historical fiction, I really enjoy reading about the Civil War, my favorite of those are the books by Jeff Shaara and Michael Shaara, The Killer Angels, Gods and Generals. I love Dan Brown's books, I have not read the newest one yet, but I have various copies of DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons. I read all of those before the movies were ever made. I tend to get hooked on one author, then try to find and read every book they have written within limits, then move on to another one. Kind of weird I know, but that's just how I am. I have several authors that I have almost full collections of their wrtiting! I got sucked into the whole Twilight thing, but as I said before, having read something that came out long before those books, it is kind of disappointing, and the movies were crap. I usually don't do the romantic thing, and never really did the vampire thing until the twilight books. The True Blood books are just freakin' funny to me, not sure if they were meant to be taken more seriously, but I find myself laughing. Sometimes I like to read stuff that is not very challenging, just to let my brain get away without working too hard. I really prefer thrillers/mysteries/conspiracy theory type stuff, but need a break from those as they actually give me nightmares or really strange dreams. Like dreaming I was an assassin after reading a Ted Dekker novel. Weird. Anyway, keep the discussion going, I love talking about what I have read and seeing what other people have read and have to say about what they have read. I do like to attempt a classic every now and then, for example, I read all of the Lord of The Rings novels back to back one year. I plan to re-read all of the Narnia books at some point, but haven't gotten that far yet. School has kept me pretty busy. I did read a book about Watergate that I enjoyed, it was non-fiction, and I was so shocked to read about people that I know of from the news and radio world and what not. I did not find the events surrounding Watergate so shocking, because it almost seems common to me, but I could see how at the time of the events it would have been such a huge scandal. Kind of tuned us all into the crooked world of politics! I would love to read some historical fiction on that time period, as that seems more fun! OK, looks like I just wrote a short novel here, so I will end this one for now! Thanks for sharing! ;)
Wall Of Text!

Sckrapps
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I love reading. Similar to Underdog, I basically read all day for work, so I don't do any pleasure reading on a daily basis. I love hunkering down with a book during vacation or traveling, and I already have my book picked out for our cross country flight: Edward Rutherfurd's Dublin saga. For those of you who like historical fiction, particularly of the British persuasion (my specialty) I highly recommend all of Rutherfurd's books, except the one on Russia, which was only so-so. His first one, Sarum, was particularly good. So was London. I've already got the next one picked out after that too, winner of the Man-Booker prize last year: Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall.

But I like to read a little bit everyday with lunch or before I go to bed, usually one of the magazines we subscribe to: "The Week," "Baseball America," or "Cooking Light" (although that last one is as much for the pictures as the text!) I also try to read the Good Book (aka the Bible) every day before bed too.

CELockwood
10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I just finished a novel called Child 44, about a secret police officer in post ww2 russia searching for a mass murderer....pretty cool, but I found out the ending by the time I have read half of it !!!!

Just finished this one myself, and found it pretty good. Who wrote the Berlin trilogy that you mentioned?

RATA MUERTA
10-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok I have some suggestions for people who like Historical Fiction. Whether or not anyone will like them will really depend on if this part of the world or time in history interests you or not. As for historical fiction I really loved the Philippa Gregory series that started with The Other Boleyn Girl and NO I am not talking about the silly TV series that spawned off the success of the books. Gregory takes the true story of Henry VIII and his wives and puts personality and face to all the characters involved. Truly truth is more entertaining than fiction, after reading some of these books I started reading non-fictional accounts because I wanted to know if she embellished the story much or not, and the series is true to what we know happened back then (and much more entertaining). Some of her other novels in this series are The Constant Princess which is about one of my favorite female figures Catherine of Aragon, her parents are the King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain. It could be seen as a prequel to The Other Boleyn Girl and it deals with a young Henry, his brother Edward who was supposed to be king and of course Catherine who is engaged to Edward. Gregory picks up the story after Anne's death in the book The Boleyn Inheritance. There are other books she has done that feature, Queen Elizabeth (daughter of Henry and Anne Boleyn) and Queen Mary (daughter of Henry and Catherine) both very famous historical figures and worth knowing about (I am sure our Brits here are familiar with these stories).

I also have a healthy interest in Middle East history and culture and have read some awesome books, but this is such a sensitive subject in the world today if you are interested in this subject PM me and I will give you some suggestions.

Another wonderful author of historical fiction novels is Tracy Chevalier, one of her most famous is The Girl with a Pearl Earring based on the famous Dutch painting of the same name. She has written some newer books that are now on my list to read, but another good one I did read was The Virgin Blue.

One author that readers of The Historian might really like is Arturo Perez-Reverte, he is a Spanish author who has some very famous books. The best known one is The Club Dumas and as I read the Historian it made me think of this novel as it has lots of mystery characters, chases, European setting and even has mysterious dusty old books, and is quite a thriller and definitely worth a read! One other book that he wrote that is worth mentioning is Queen of the South is it a fabulous fictional story about a woman who must flee for her life when her drug running boyfriend turns up dead and goes from Mexico to Morocco and eventually ends up with her own drug empire that spans the Mediterranean.

Hmmmm lots of suggestions, I am sure I will think of more books after I post this too. I will put some up as I think of them!

Tracer-M_D_C
10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
...I tend to get hooked on one author, then try to find and read every book they have written within limits, then move on to another one...
I do the same thing.. working through Caitlin Kiernan at the moment. I got The Red Tree first, and liked it so much that I started ordering everything else.

Obi
10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Love reading but generally only sci-fi and preferably above 1000 pages. The odd action/adventure/crime/thriller thrown in. Tried Dan Brown...but its some of the worst writing and most obvisous plots I ever read..in my opinion ;)
Peter F Hamiliton has got to be my favourite (Nights Dawn trilogy in particular). The Dune series is also up there :D :-B

TheFreak75
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Reading Gillermo del Toro's The Strain, and just bought one of my favorite movies The Princess Bride.

Phantom
10-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Currently reading : Forever Odd, by Dean Koontz

Highly recommend : Cell, by Stephen King - Jester, James Patterson - Spearhead Assault, can't remember who by but it's a soldiers account of the Falklands war.

sniperella
10-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Reading Gillermo del Toro's The Strain, and just bought one of my favorite movies The Princess Bride.

Have you read the book, "The Princess Bride"? It is really interesting, gives you more background on all the characters! Also one of my fav. movies of all time! ;)

Raider
10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
As much as I like the idea of reading, and I've made it through a stack of books in my lifetime, I just can't seem to stay concentrated on the story. Ever since I was a kid I've had a problem with my mind wandering off while reading. I remember seeing I'm on a certain page and before you know it I'm 15 pages deeper into the book and not realize I've read it because I'm spaced out. The weird thing is I can go back and read those 15 pages and recognized that I've read it, but don't really remember it. Does that make sense?

Retro
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I use to read at least 2 books a week. Anything from novels to textbooks, from sci-fi to comedy. But the last couple years I have not been able to get past the first chapter of any book. I have a pile of at least 50 books with page markers inside the first few pages because I just gave up.

TrojanTeacher
10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Why read when you can game?

Retro
10-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Very true, plus there is reading in games! Games like Fallout have reading. Plus you have to read the names of people when they sign into xbl or when checking who is playing BC2. Screw it, I read everyday!

TrojanTeacher
10-27-2010, 04:32 PM
HAHA!!! Yeah, see, reading is fundamental.

oscarthegrouch71
10-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Does anybody know a suitable book for a 14 year old boy?? Trying to get him to read is difficult at best but he seems to enjoy reading biographies/autobiographies for sports personalities and musicians ( he has read books on Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne, etc.). Any suggestions would be gratefully received. :D

=T4NUKI=
10-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Have hime read the Lord of the Rings.....I was around that age when I first read that !

johnboy
10-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Have hime read the Lord of the Rings.....I was around that age when I first read that !

I read lotr when I was 9. After I read the hobbit of course! I only remember because it was during our last holiday all together in France.

Retro
10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Does anybody know a suitable book for a 14 year old boy?? Trying to get him to read is difficult at best but he seems to enjoy reading biographies/autobiographies for sports personalities and musicians ( he has read books on Alice Cooper, Ozzy Osbourne, etc.). Any suggestions would be gratefully received. :D

Shakey: Neil Young's Biography

Bowie: A Biography

When Giants Walked the Earth: A Biography of Led Zeppelin

=T4NUKI=
10-28-2010, 06:36 PM
or Ramones: an american story
or Stephen King's " IT".... I was about that age when I read it (hiding from my mom and dad who didnt want me to ! )
or George Orwell's Animal Farm or 1984.....both amazing and rather simple stories !

bucksie
10-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Currently reading a Lee Child Novel

Jack Reacher
61 Hours

Read all his books so far. Jack Reacher series is great.

bostonjen28
10-29-2010, 09:03 AM

I loooove to read :)
Mainly fiction, suspenseful novels... James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell.. I actually started writing a book as well, Joe keeps getting on me to work on it a bit more..

MoreCowBell87
10-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I am about to finish the 4th in the Dark Tower series by Steven King I recamend it to everyone! It's great. Also just picked up pirate latitudes by Michael crichton.

SlapLaB
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Ok I have some suggestions for people who like Historical Fiction.

I don't read much (especially these days), but I like historical fiction and I would recommend:

- I,Claudius by Robert Graves
- Memoires of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
- The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon

The first two are fairly short (and on Roman history), whereas the last is actually a series of 7 books - but it's amazing (if you like medieval dark history).
I would say they're all on the "serious" side of historical fiction, i.e. it's very far from Dan Brown...

TonkaToys
10-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm reading China Mieville's Iron Council right now.
It hasn't turned into the trademark weirdness that he is famous for, but having read King Rat and Perdido Street Station I'm expecting fireworks!

Another great read in a similar vein is Steph Swainston's The Year Of Our War and sequels.

I love reading - and I have a long list that I could suggest.

No one's mentioned Shakespeare yet!

Raider
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
The Alchemist is a good story for a kid that age.

sniperella
10-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Why read when you can game?

Teach, you are supposed to promote reading, you are a teacher, duh!

Retro, the XBOX names don't count, unless it is the one where it is says killed by "Sniperella80, Combat Knife" ;)

I have enjoyed reading all of these posts, it is neat to get a taste of everyones' interests other than gaming! Now I want to get some serious reading in, because you all have mentioned so many great books to try! They will have to wait till Winter Break, then I should have time to read more! ;)

Cataduanes
11-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I love reading and I will certainly be proactive in encouraging my son to be a reader. At present I am reading John Reed's ''Ten days that shook the world'', I read it as a teenager and decided to reacquaint myself with it.

=T4NUKI=
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
I've just started a Sci-Fi Classic I havent red yet...Frank Herbert's Dune !
....and I'm devoring it , litteraly ! :x

CELockwood
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I've just started a Sci-Fi Classic I havent red yet...Frank Herbert's Dune !
....and I'm devoring it , litteraly ! :x

Very, very, good. Haven't read it several years, but was definitely one of my favorites. I'm getting ready to start the third Millennium book, sometime in the next couple of days.

TonkaToys
01-04-2011, 06:32 PM
I've been reading quite a few Roald Dahl books to my sons at bedtime, since Ben got a set of them for doing well in his swimming lessons (bribery is the secret to good parenting! B-) )

George's Marvelous Medicine had us all laughing.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a brilliant work of great creative vision and far better than either film.
The Twits is weird.
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator is dragging a little and is not a patch on the first book.

I'm looking forward to reading Danny, Champion of the World and The Incredible Mr. Fox.

Trez
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Does anybody read anymore??
No :p

Game of Thrones on HBO has gotten me interested in the Gorge R. R. Martin saga A Song of Fire and Ice. I picked up Game of Thrones this week since Screen-Free has been implemented.

It's a medieval fantasy drama, "like The Sopranos in Middle Earth". So far it's been pretty good, mostly a character study, while setting has been at the hindsight. I look forward to getting into it more while watching the series on HBO at the same time.

I'm about 5 chapters in and so far the HBO version has been very faithful.

Has anyone read this or been watching the series?

johnboy
04-22-2011, 04:27 AM
Both raider and myself are watching the series.

CELockwood
04-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Does anybody read anymore??
No :p

Game of Thrones on HBO has gotten me interested in the Gorge R. R. Martin saga A Song of Fire and Ice. I picked up Game of Thrones this week since Screen-Free has been implemented.

It's a medieval fantasy drama, "like The Sopranos in Middle Earth". So far it's been pretty good, mostly a character study, while setting has been at the hindsight. I look forward to getting into it more while watching the series on HBO at the same time.

I'm about 5 chapters in and so far the HBO version has been very faithful.

Has anyone read this or been watching the series?

Didn't realize this series was based on actual paper books. Who'd have thunk it. I don't get HBO, so I may give the first of these a try.

04-28-2011, 07:34 AM
I am reading a book called The Strain. It is a vampire, plague type horror book on my wife's nook. It is really good if anyone is interested.

TonkaToys
04-28-2011, 11:05 AM
The Register is doing a vote to see best sci-fi movie never made, based on a list of books.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27 ... ovie_poll/ (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27/sci_fi_movie_poll/)

What do you guys and gals think should be the candidate.
My vote was Use of Weapons by Iain M Banks

I've read about 6 off the list, and am now creating an updated Amazon Wishlist!

*** UPDATE ***

Use of Weapons won! See... I do have my finger on the pulse of the world! :party:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/11/sci_fi_poll/

TonkaToys
06-23-2011, 07:07 AM
I know, I know - don't double post... but this one is about something different than the last one! Don't chastise me too much! :-ss

Anyway, anyone that likes Harry Potter should check out this new JK Rowling project... http://www.pottermore.com/

CELockwood
06-23-2011, 07:16 AM
@james, Do you like the nook. I've had mine for about a year and a half, and love it.

@tonka, I'm going to put Use of Weapons on the top of my "to read" list. I've read about a dozen off that list and probably would have gone with Ender's Game or Cryptonomicon.

CELockwood
06-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Just finished World without End by Ken Follett. If you liked the first one (Pillars of Earth), this one's not quite as good, but it's very similar and I enjoyed it.

DayliteMag
06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Just finished World without End by Ken Follett. If you liked the first one (Pillars of Earth), this one's not quite as good, but it's very similar and I enjoyed it.

I love Ken Follet's novels. You might like his latest, "Fall of Giants." I really enjoyed it; although, in hardcover it is one heavy MoFo. I just started reading, "A Place Called Freedom," and so far I'm liking it too.

LandShark
06-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Was thinking about getting the latest Tom Clancy novel for next week when im in the cool mountains.

TonkaToys
06-24-2011, 02:56 PM
@Locky
I hope you like Use Of Weapons mate, Ian M. Banks has created an amazing vision of the future.
The book's structure is interesting, and let me know if you figure out the twist.

I've just ordered a Kindle as a surprise for the missus - hope she likes it!

Trez
06-24-2011, 03:06 PM
I probably be reading The Hobbit next. I've never read it and want to before the movie. I'm also on a fantasy kick after Game of Thrones.

TonkaToys
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I probably be reading The Hobbit next. I've never read it and want to before the movie. I'm also on a fantasy kick after Game of Thrones.

That's a smashing book, I can't wait to read it to the kids.

After all the commentary on here, I'd better read Game of Thrones.

DayliteMag
06-24-2011, 05:08 PM

You won't be disappointed. One of my fav books of all time. Read it with the kids, they will love it.

Trez
06-24-2011, 08:49 PM

That's a smashing book, I can't wait to read it to the kids.

After all the commentary on here, I'd better read Game of Thrones.
Do it. George R. R. Martin has been hailed as the American Tolkien.

I thought we had a copy of The Hobbit, but after some searching I only found a paperback of The Fellowship of the Ring. I have the other two in hardback. I had to read them after I saw Fellowship in the theatre.

I'll get my parents' copy of The Hobbit or just buy it soon. Until then I may be reading The Deathly Hallows. My wife loves Harry Potter and she refuses to let me see the last film until I read the book. I will oblige since she got into Game of Thrones with me and let me spout off random details while watching the series.

I also have the rest of the books in the Thrones series to explore as well.

Reading The Hobbit with the kiddos sounds like a great idea. I'll probably do that at some point. I know my wife wants to share the Potter books with them as well.

Oh, The Hunger Games is another series my wife likes that she said I would enjoy. Picturing Jennifer Lawrence as the main character is icing on the cake. ;) Oh, oh, speaking of castings for movies Evangiline Lilly has been cast as an elf for The Hobbit. Yet another reason I'm stoked for the film. :)

johnboy
06-25-2011, 12:02 PM

You've never read the hobbit!!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o

MoreCowBell87
06-27-2011, 04:31 AM
I made it half way through the 5th book in Steven Kings Dark Tower series and I have been to busy and I haven't picked it up in months now. Also, read under the dome when that came out, I think it was last year. I am going to be getting the Game of Thrones books as well. I haven't seen the HBO show (I don't have cable TV) but I am going to buy it on DVD when it comes out. For some reason I am a sucker for period stuff like this.

johnboy
06-27-2011, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't call game of thrones 'period', more fantasy porn. Lol. The wife bought me another Terry Pratchett for my birthday. Got to try and start reading it soon. It's a pity there aren't any second hand book stores in my town any more otherwise I'd have a load of them.

CELockwood
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I made it half way through the 5th book in Steven Kings Dark Tower series and I have been to busy and I haven't picked it up in months now. Also, read under the dome when that came out, I think it was last year. I am going to be getting the Game of Thrones books as well. I haven't seen the HBO show (I don't have cable TV) but I am going to buy it on DVD when it comes out. For some reason I am a sucker for period stuff like this.

Read both of those. I finished the Dark Tower series back when it came out. Found the first two or three very good, then the middle ones dragged for me, but I thought the ending was good so I'm glad I finished it.

+1 on the Hobbitt, great story.

Trez
07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm headed to my parent's for the weekend so I'll see if they have a copy of The Hobbit.

For now I'm reading Clash of Kings. It's book two of A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). It looks like it's going to be a pretty hefty read. It may be a bit daunting but I'm really inthralled with the world George Martin has created. There are 5 books so far out of a proposed 7, and HBO is continuing production on book series. Season 2 will be out next spring. I'm definitely in this one for the long haul.

Aside from that my wife and I are reading The Deathly Hallows. I'm not really a Potterfile (yes, that's what they're called apparently) but the final movie looks pretty phenomenal and I'd like to see how it wraps up. It's a good story, but man it's got a lot of details. It takes forever to get to the good stuff. :P

Raider
07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I read football stats and forum posts. On rare occasions, I get to read subtitles to a cool foreign martial arts flick. lol

LandShark
07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
I wanna know what underdog was reading that kept him away from the xbox for 2 weeks.

i also read the articles in playboy.

Raider
07-27-2011, 09:14 AM
I wanna know what underdog was reading that kept him away from the xbox for 2 weeks..

Harry Potter maybe?

46_n_2
07-27-2011, 03:20 PM
i actually read quite a bit. from fantasy to sci-fi to horror to philosophy. for anyone who likes a song of ice and fire i recommend the wheel of time books by robert jorden.

recently i've been reading a lot of zombie books for some reason.

johnboy
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Zombie books? Cool, let me know what's out there and I'll have a look.

46_n_2
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Zombie books? Cool, let me know what's out there and I'll have a look.

a whole crap load lol actually i was suprised at the amount there are. good ones i have include but are not limited to the morning star strain series, day by day armageddon, world war z (same author as zombie survival guide) tooth and nail, comes the dark, rise again, dead city (based in TX so had to mention)

also a book called 'one' is based in england so u might like that one.

johnboy
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
I'll have a lol at some. Thanks.

TonkaToys
07-30-2011, 06:21 PM
i actually read quite a bit. from fantasy to sci-fi to horror to philosophy. for anyone who likes a song of ice and fire i recommend the wheel of time books by robert jorden.

I used to like the Wheel Of Time, but I think Robert Jordan lost the plot somewhere around book 9 or so... The characters and setting were great, and has so much history behind them, but there didn't seem to be a plot anymore, other than Rand wandering backwards and forward trying to contain his powers.

Similarly the Sword of Truth series by ... (small visit to Wikipedia to remind myself) ... Terry Goodkind. Great series that seemed to outlast the plot. I remember reading these out loud to my newborn son, when he'd wake up in the middle of the night.

46_n_2
07-30-2011, 07:10 PM
well with the wheel of time it got a bit confusing because its following 3 (sometimes up to 5) diffrent plots (rand, mat, perrin and later euwgene(sp?) as well as others that they follow for a book or so) but its all intertwined and there is massive forshadowing throughout the whole thing. (kinda like the stag killin the wolf in a song of ice and fire)

for the sword of truth i think the author realized it was getting confusing which is why on the last three books everything changed (crazy spell makin people forget kahlana (sp?)) but the ending was a great WTF moment lol.

CELockwood
07-31-2011, 07:04 AM

I used to like the Wheel Of Time, but I think Robert Jordan lost the plot somewhere around book 9 or so... The characters and setting were great, and has so much history behind them, but there didn't seem to be a plot anymore, other than Rand wandering backwards and forward trying to contain his powers.

Similarly the Sword of Truth series by ... (small visit to Wikipedia to remind myself) ... Terry Goodkind. Great series that seemed to outlast the plot. I remember reading these out loud to my newborn son, when he'd wake up in the middle of the night.

Felt the same way about this series. If he had ended it after 6 or 7, it would have been an epic story. I just thought it wandered along after that.

Gink
09-09-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm looking forward to the new Neal Stephenson novel "REAMDE" coming out 9/20, and Haruki Murakami's "1Q84" finally coming out in english 10/25... though BF3 might steal my reading time at that point.

I was originally planning to re-read the Wheel of Time series before the last book comes out in December, but don't see that happening. I'm currently bogged down in book 4 of the Song of Ice and Fire series. After the epic happenings of books 1-3, 4 just seems slow and focused on politics and charachters I don't like much. It's a long book though, hopefully things will get rolling. Still can't wait for the next seasons of Game of Thrones, books 2 and 3 were even better than 1 imo, so the show should be epic!

CELockwood
09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Anathem was one of my favorites of all time. I'll probably pick Reamde up as well.

I'm reading Nemesis by Jo Nesbo right now. Seems pretty good. If it finishes strong, I may pick up the earlier ones.

Gink
09-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Anathem was great, Stephenson rarely disappoints, so I have high hopes for REAMDE.

Haven't heard of Jo Nesbo, will have to add that to my list of authors to check out, there's always some point that comes along when I find myself searching for new and different things to read.

dldale85
09-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I know I am alittle late to this party, but for the ones that said that they are reading the vampire books a really good series is Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake: Vampire hunter. In my mind it makes the Sukie Stackhouse series look like kids books. I will warn you though they are extremely graphic.

CELockwood
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
I know I am alittle late to this party, but for the ones that said that they are reading the vampire books a really good series is Laurell K. Hamilton Anita Blake: Vampire hunter. In my mind it makes the Sukie Stackhouse series look like kids books. I will warn you though they are extremely graphic.

I tried a couple of the Sookie books and didn't care for them. Just a little too much romance for me, I guess, though for some reason I did enjoy the TV show before I cancelled Netflix.

dldale85
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM

I tried a couple of the Sookie books and didn't care for them. Just a little too much romance for me, I guess, though for some reason I did enjoy the TV show before I cancelled Netflix.

You would be happy with these books. They have about the same amount of romance but it is offset by....I don't want to call it violence but I dont' know what else to call it. They are very ballenced with stuff to keep women interested and to keep men interested. The romance is more graphic. Like I said before It make the sookie books look like a kids book

Raider
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
My boss told me I should check out a book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain".......narrated by the dog in the story. Has anyone read this? Is it good?

CELockwood
09-21-2011, 11:15 AM
My boss told me I should check out a book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain".......narrated by the dog in the story. Has anyone read this? Is it good?

Never heard of this one, though it made be think of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, which is not narrated by a dog, but quite good and told from the point of view of a boy with Asperger syndrome.

Kid_Bananas
10-14-2011, 01:23 AM
I just wanted to say that I am a big reader. I probably spend most of my free time reading. I use my iphone as an e-reader so I pull it out whenever I am not driving, waiting in line, or whenever I am not home. I love reading fiction. I do not have a particular favorite genre. My favorite book is Counte of Monte Cristo. I enjoy read the Jack Ryan series by Clancy. I love Jim Butcher. I like LKH. I enjoy reading about the british navy in 1900s and 1800s.

CORNERKIX
10-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Love to read almost anything by James Patterson and Stuart Woods.

CELockwood
10-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I just wanted to say that I am a big reader. I probably spend most of my free time reading. I use my iphone as an e-reader so I pull it out whenever I am not driving, waiting in line, or whenever I am not home. I love reading fiction. I do not have a particular favorite genre. My favorite book is Counte of Monte Cristo. I enjoy read the Jack Ryan series by Clancy. I love Jim Butcher. I like LKH. I enjoy reading about the british navy in 1900s and 1800s.

My wife and I really enjoyed the Dresden series. Do you have a dedicated e-reader or just the phone?

BeefShankz
10-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I am reading thru the W.E.B. Griffin series " A presidential agent"...I am on book 4 "the shooters".

I love to read. I had not read much in a few years except with the kids and all. About 2 years ago I bought a Barnes and Noble Nook at a Charity auction and I havent put it down since. I have really enjoyed WEB Griffin's Brotherhood of War series. And am now reading The Corps series. Both are fantastic. I also really liked Chickenhawk by Robert Mason and the Percy Jackson series.

CELockwood
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM

I love to read. I had not read much in a few years except with the kids and all. About 2 years ago I bought a Barnes and Noble Nook at a Charity auction and I havent put it down since. I have really enjoyed WEB Griffin's Brotherhood of War series. And am now reading The Corps series. Both are fantastic. I also really liked Chickenhawk by Robert Mason and the Percy Jackson series.

I'm a Nook user as well. My oldest son has devoured the Percy Jackson books. I read one or two and think they're very well done.

Harshfence
10-14-2011, 02:57 PM
The only novels the I read are by Brian Lumley. They are Horror/SciFi/Psychic Suspense. His Necroscope series are really good.
Besides those, I just read guitar world magazine, game informer, game developer, and finally techinal books (programming, etc...- Because I am a nerd). :)

Kid_Bananas
10-15-2011, 12:45 PM

My wife and I really enjoyed the Dresden series. Do you have a dedicated e-reader or just the phone?

I use my iphone primarily these days unless I borrow a book from the library or its a much anticipated book that I bought and set aside time to read it from cover to back in one sitting.

I love reading Dresden.

Kid_Bananas
10-15-2011, 12:46 PM

I love Griffine too. I only read his police, corps, and brotherhood series.

Gink
10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I use my iphone primarily these days unless I borrow a book from the library or its a much anticipated book that I bought and set aside time to read it from cover to back in one sitting.

I love reading Dresden.

The iPhone is great for carrying a library in your pocket and being able to read anytime you find yourself stuck somewhere waiting. I don't read on mine as much since I got a tablet. 10" screen is pretty sweet for ebooks, and perfect for graphic novels, but I still make sure whatever I am reading is also on my phone in case I get stuck at the DMV or something so I can make use of the time.

Right now I'm reading an actual 1000+ page hardcover for the first time in a couple years. It's heavy :))

HardlyCapable13
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I love reading (and thankfully my 10 year old daughter is taking after me). I purchased a Nook Color earlier in the year and LOVE it! Paired with the Nook app for my iPod touch, my whole library goes everywhere with me. I'll read pretty much anything, but my favorite author still has to be Stephen King.

Gink
10-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll read pretty much anything, but my favorite author still has to be Stephen King.

Was never a huge King fan, but his Dark Tower series is one of my all time-faves!

Kid_Bananas
10-17-2011, 07:44 PM

I love reading Dresden.

The iPhone is great for carrying a library in your pocket and being able to read anytime you find yourself stuck somewhere waiting. I don't read on mine as much since I got a tablet. 10" screen is pretty sweet for ebooks, and perfect for graphic novels, but I still make sure whatever I am reading is also on my phone in case I get stuck at the DMV or something so I can make use of the time.

Right now I'm reading an actual 1000+ page hardcover for the first time in a couple years. It's heavy :))
Good ol hardcovers. Every time I pick up the counte of monte Cristo its like woah!

HardlyCapable13
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Was never a huge King fan, but his Dark Tower series is one of my all time-faves!

One of the best series ever written (other than Lord of the Rings). Were you aware he's coming out with a new Dark Tower book in 2012?

sniperella
10-18-2011, 02:20 PM

I love the Sookie books and am very sad now that I am all caught up on them. The show really sucked this past season, it has strayed so far from the original story line it doesn't even make sense anymore. I hate the girl playing Sookie, I just want to slap her and take her shopping, southern women dress much better than her dumb looking ass! I will have to check out this series you suggested, dldale, I need some new vampire books! ;)

Gink
10-18-2011, 11:14 PM

One of the best series ever written (other than Lord of the Rings). Were you aware he's coming out with a new Dark Tower book in 2012?

I'd heard someone mention it, but wasn't sure if it was confirmed, be interesting to see where/when he takes the story. I have been reading some of the graphic novels that start with Roland's story he tells in Wizard and Glass with Susan Delgado and all that, but it continues on to untold portions of Roland's youth. Pretty enjoyable. There was supposed to be a movie and miniseries in the works, but it got canned. Maybe for the best, I'd rather it wasn't done at all than see it done poorly.

HardlyCapable13
10-18-2011, 11:39 PM

I'd heard someone mention it, but wasn't sure if it was confirmed, be interesting to see where/when he takes the story. I have been reading some of the graphic novels that start with Roland's story he tells in Wizard and Glass with Susan Delgado and all that, but it continues on to untold portions of Roland's youth. Pretty enjoyable. There was supposed to be a movie and miniseries in the works, but it got canned. Maybe for the best, I'd rather it wasn't done at all than see it done poorly.

Yeah, I'm actually glad the movies/miniseries got the axe. It just wouldn't even come close to doing the books justice. The new book is called The Dark Tower: The Wind Through the Keyhole. It's actually kind of like book # 4 1/2. The events take place between books 4 and 5. Here's King's announcment letter:

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

-- Steve King

Gink
10-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Nice! There was sort of an odd gap between the two books, will be cool to have another bit of adventure in there.

TonkaToys
10-20-2011, 08:19 AM
My workmate has suggested keeping an eye out for this, which I think I might try if I can kindle it.

1Q84 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84)

The novel quickly became a sensation, with its first printing selling out the day it was released, and reaching sales of one million within a month. The English language edition of all three volumes ... will be released in North America and the United Kingdom on October 25, 2011.

The title is a play on the Japanese pronunciation of the year 1984 [One Q Eighty-Four or ichi-kew-hachi-yon], a reference to George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Aomame is a thirty year old woman working as part of an enigmatic organization for which she commits carefully selected murders.

Gink
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I've got 1Q84 on pre-order, will arrive the same time as BF3. I don't buy many physical books anymore, but have been waiting for this translation for a year or so, and Murakami is one of those authors I like to see on my bookshelf. Not really sure what to expect from his newest, but have enjoyed his surreal, odd writing for years. Not sure how I'm going to fit in reading another large novel with the release of BF3, but going to give it a shot!

barrylevon
10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm currently reading The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind. If you're interested in philosophy, especially in the area consciousness, this is a pretty good read. It's not as dense as some books, and the author has a light tone about him, even using light humor at times.

CELockwood
10-28-2011, 06:56 AM
[quote="Gink

I just saw that not only is this book finished, but he's actually quite a ways to finishing a sequel to The Shining and he's got the historical fiction book about the JFK assasination on the shelves soon (if not now). He writes faster than I read.

HardlyCapable13
10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
I just saw that not only is this book finished, but he's actually quite a ways to finishing a sequel to The Shining and he's got the historical fiction book about the JFK assasination on the shelves soon (if not now). He writes faster than I read.

Yup, the JFK assassinatino book is called 11/22/66 and it hits shelves November 8th. As for the "sequel" to The Shining, it's about the boy when he grows up. Not sure how I feel about this... :|

Also, for any King fans, they are making a Bag of Bones miniseries, starring Pierce Brosnan. I believe it's on A&E airing sometime in December.

Gink
10-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm currently reading The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind. If you're interested in philosophy, especially in the area consciousness, this is a pretty good read. It's not as dense as some books, and the author has a light tone about him, even using light humor at times.

Looked this up to see what it was about and ended up reading a lengthy Wikipedia article about bicameral mind theory. Pretty interesting stuff! Hate to say that my reading the past few years has mostly veered to "escapist" fiction. Stories that take me far far away :)) One of these days I'll get to my stack of thought provoking non-fiction.

barrylevon
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Since I've got some time until winter quarter starts I'm reading Technopoly by Neil Postman. I've already read Amusing Ourselves to Death by the same, and I loved it. So far this book has not disappointed. It is basically a critique of our society's reliance on technology and the problems that it has and might produce. It's a relatively short book (199 pages) and is a pretty easy read. I'd recommend it to just about anyone, especially those who are interested in taking a look at the implications of various technological advances past and present. Also, to those who wonder what the point of recent advances in technology are.

For instance, I still have yet to understand the appeal of the touchscreen. Sure, it makes certain things more convenient, but try typing on a touchscreen. It's certainly more difficult, and yet we force ourselves to accommodate our new technology rather than have it accommodate us. Why not a phone with both keypad and touchscreen?

I can remember the time when I vowed never to get a cell phone because I didn't want to be able to be bothered 24/7. Now I can't imagine not having one as I've changed my life to fit around it....

FFWRX
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
@Teach, I loved the Twilight series, how in the world did you ever know! You really should read them, I actually know a lot of men that have read them and liked them. Actually now I am disappointed in the books, I have started reading the Dead before Dawn (True Blood) books, and Twilight is a total rip off of the Sookie Stackhouse series! True Blood came out before Twilight, that woman got most of her ideas from the other series. Sucks, huh?

My wife and I just finished watching the True Blood series. I totally agree that it is a rip off, but at the same time Twilight made True Blood famous so it worked for her too.

I mostly read in the throne room or if I am waiting in the car while my wife does some shopping. Right now I am reading the James Rollins Sigma Force series. Its like Clive Cussler meets Dan Brown, and is very Indiana Jonesish.

sniperella
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM

My wife and I just finished watching the True Blood series. I totally agree that it is a rip off, but at the same time Twilight made True Blood famous so it worked for her too.

I mostly read in the throne room or if I am waiting in the car while my wife does some shopping. Right now I am reading the James Rollins Sigma Force series. Its like Clive Cussler meets Dan Brown, and is very Indiana Jonesish.

That sounds pretty good, I'm a Cussler fan, and am currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (I have multiple copies of Da Vinci Code, including a hard back illustrated version, with images of all the paintings, sculptures, and buildings)! I will have to check these out, see, I can read stuff other than Vampires! LOL ;)

FFWRX
12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
That sounds pretty good, I'm a Cussler fan, and am currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (I have multiple copies of Da Vinci Code, including a hard back illustrated version, with images of all the paintings, sculptures, and buildings)! I will have to check these out, see, I can read stuff other than Vampires! LOL ;)
I actually found these books because one of them looked like a Dan Brown book at Goodwill.

sniperella
12-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I actually found these books because one of them looked like a Dan Brown book at Goodwill.

I love Goodwill!! My favorite thing to do for used books is to hit yard sales!

Retro
12-08-2011, 09:19 PM

I love Goodwill!! My favorite thing to do for used books is to hit yard sales!
Goodwill sucks!!!! I offered them a 4 year old mint condition 44" HD TV to either give away or sell really cheap to someone. They said no, we only accept flat panels. @-) L-)

lore77
12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
i am always reading something. now using my nook i read durring lunch at work. mostly fantasy series. trouble is i always end up waiting for the next book and have to start up a new series while i wait. i have about 4 series going at once now. ill post some good ones later if anyone is interestred

sniperella
12-10-2011, 08:19 AM
i am always reading something. now using my nook i read durring lunch at work. mostly fantasy series. trouble is i always end up waiting for the next book and have to start up a new series while i wait. i have about 4 series going at once now. ill post some good ones later if anyone is interestred

I am curious about which series you are reading. I would love to find a new good series to read.

lore77
12-11-2011, 02:37 AM
George R.R. Martin: A song of Fire and Ice
Patrick Rothfuss: King Killer Series
Brandon Sanderson: Mistborn Series
Brandon Sanderson: Stormlight Archive

Waiting for the final book from the Wheel of time series; just want to be done at this point
Considering picking up The Omen machine. Sword of truth was finished then Terry Goodkind decided to put this out...

Killing some time atm reading Heitz Markus' Dwarvers series. It's ok but, nothing great.
I think atm king killer & stormlight are my favorites... Mistborn was pretty interesting too.

If you have not read and David Gemell, His series about Druss is pretty good.
I could go on and on lol....

CELockwood
12-11-2011, 08:33 AM
George R.R. Martin: A song of Fire and Ice
Patrick Rothfuss: King Killer Series
Brandon Sanderson: Mistborn Series
Brandon Sanderson: Stormlight Archive

Waiting for the final book from the Wheel of time series; just want to be done at this point
Considering picking up The Omen machine. Sword of truth was finished then Terry Goodkind decided to put this out...

Killing some time atm reading Heitz Markus' Dwarvers series. It's ok but, nothing great.
I think atm king killer & stormlight are my favorites... Mistborn was pretty interesting too.

If you have not read and David Gemell, His series about Druss is pretty good.
I could go on and on lol....

I read the first of the Dwarves series and had the same reaction. I had given up on Wheel of time as the last time I had checked in Jordan/Rigney was dying and nowhere near finishing. I didn't realize the series was finished. I may pick it up from the beginning again.

jmseaman
12-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Lets see. Charles Bukowski (Factotum, Ham on Rye, Post Office) anyone? Also Norman Mailer, Truman Capote, and any "crack novels" (i.e mystery style novels Dean Koontz, Stieg Larsson, etc.) I refer to these style novels as "crack novels" because that style of writing is addictive and doesn't require much thought when reading. If I feel like I need to "feel :-B " I'll turn to my collection of Russian History books....there is some stuff thats wildly entertaining and depressing about that country. However, I am currently reading Tortilla Flats by Steinbeck and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald.

lore77
12-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I read the first of the Dwarves series and had the same reaction. I had given up on Wheel of time as the last time I had checked in Jordan/Rigney was dying and nowhere near finishing. I didn't realize the series was finished. I may pick it up from the beginning again.

I started reading Brandon Sanderson stuff because his is the author that was been commissioned to finish up the wheel of time series based on Jordan's notes and outline for the remainder of the series. WOT is just about finished Last book is supposed to be released around March of 2012.

TonkaToys
12-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I can't believe they're finally going to finish Wheel Of Time! I lost interest some time ago in that which is a shame because the 1st ones were great.

Well, not exactly reading, but still great... 2000AD. This is an excellent Sci Fi / Fantasy comic that has about 4 - 8 stories each week. Features Judge Dredd (if you know him from the reasonably rubbish Stallone movie, or new upcoming Karl Urban movie) and a host of other characters.

http://www.2000adonline.com/

This is my weekly vice - I'd probably stop buying games before I stopped buying this!

johnboy
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Would Viz ever count as reading? Not that I read it, I was just wondering. Most of you MPeeps across the pond will probably have no idea what Viz is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_(comic)

jmseaman
12-13-2011, 12:43 AM
The Viz seems similar to the American MAD magazine. I'd be curious to see if we across the pond stole another idea and managed to turn it into a lesser version of the original.

FFWRX
12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

It is better to read them (Sigma Force) in order. You dont have to, but there are little details in each one that make sense if you have read the previous ones.

sniperella
01-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Currently reading World War Z, and I really like it so far. What an imagination the author has to have to come up with each interview/scenario! I heard there was going to be a movie, but it is starring Brad Pitt :sick: not one of my favorite actors. He's too pretty for a Zombie flick!

Borlaxx
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Currently reading World War Z, and I really like it so far. What an imagination the author has to have to come up with each interview/scenario! I heard there was going to be a movie, but it is starring Brad Pitt :sick: not one of my favorite actors. He's too pretty for a Zombie flick!
You should read another book by Max Brooks (who is the comedy legend Mel Brooks' son) call The Zombie Survival Guide. Written like a very serious how-to guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse.

sniperella
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
You should read another book by Max Brooks (who is the comedy legend Mel Brooks' son) call The Zombie Survival Guide. Written like a very serious how-to guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse.

I didn't realize he was Mel Brooks's son! Go figure! Watched The Young Frankenstein yesterday on Netflix, one of my fav. Mel Brooks films! I saw the Zombie Survival Guide mentioned on the cover of this book. I may have to check that out too! I love Zombie stuff! I think that is because of Resident Evil!

oscarthegrouch71
01-18-2012, 06:47 AM
My two youngest are reading the Max Brooks zombie books at the moment and love them - I am reading The Man Who Broke Into Auschwitz - very disturbing...

HardlyCapable13
01-18-2012, 10:04 AM
For anyone with children (oh wait, that's a pre-requisit of the team) check out the Junie B. Jones series. My daughter absolutely loves them. Great intro to reading (and they are hilarious).

dinsdale1978
01-18-2012, 12:14 PM
I am now reading War by Sebastian Junger. It's the more detailed account from which the documentary Restrepo was based. I am trying to read more and am going to intertwine this with my YT channel. I don't know of any gaming channels that suggest books related to the games they play. I plan on highlighting this and a piece of military fiction more targeted to a juvenile audience. As a librarian I can easily promote literacy and my channel. B-)

CB-40
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
I am in the midst of revisiting Watergate. I'm about finished with Watergate by Fred Emery. It's kind of like All the President's Men on steroids as it draws from information and records that were de-classified 20+ years after the fact, good read. Already finished Blind Ambition by John W Dean who was Nixon's Counsel to the President for 3 years during that period. It's a very good "insider" look at the inner workings and the dealings that were going on before and during the break-in and subsequent cover up. Finally I am in the first third of Abuse of Power, The New Nixon Tapes by Stanley Kutler. This book contains actual transcripts of conversations from Nixon's infamous taping system both leading up to Watergate and during the cover up to his resignation. It does a really good job of showing the personalities of all those involved, particularly Nixon. Some things surprising, some not so much, but it gives a closeness to it that's pretty interesting. These were some seriously crooked hombres.

CELockwood
01-19-2012, 06:57 AM
I am now reading War by Sebastian Junger. It's the more detailed account from which the documentary Restrepo was based. I am trying to read more and am going to intertwine this with my YT channel. I don't know of any gaming channels that suggest books related to the games they play. I plan on highlighting this and a piece of military fiction more targeted to a juvenile audience. As a librarian I can easily promote literacy and my channel. B-)

Getting ready to start this one myself.

oscarthegrouch71
01-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Damn, you guys read some heavy stuff.... too much of that intellectual literature would make me depressed...

dinsdale1978
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Getting ready to start this one myself.

Finished this last night and it paints a very detailed picture of how our traditional military thinking doesn't match the types of battles we are waging in Afghanistan. The psychological mutation of young soldiers put in that valley is shocking and unforgettable. As heavy as it was, I really found it hard to put down. Frankly, I haven't read a book that quickly since Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.

My counter to this for a fiction piece will be Battlefield: The Russian and another Andy McNabb story aimed at the juvenile demographic.

sniperella
01-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I am in the midst of revisiting Watergate. I'm about finished with Watergate by Fred Emery. It's kind of like All the President's Men on steroids as it draws from information and records that were de-classified 20+ years after the fact, good read. Already finished Blind Ambition by John W Dean who was Nixon's Counsel to the President for 3 years during that period. It's a very good "insider" look at the inner workings and the dealings that were going on before and during the break-in and subsequent cover up. Finally I am in the first third of Abuse of Power, The New Nixon Tapes by Stanley Kutler. This book contains actual transcripts of conversations from Nixon's infamous taping system both leading up to Watergate and during the cover up to his resignation. It does a really good job of showing the personalities of all those involved, particularly Nixon. Some things surprising, some not so much, but it gives a closeness to it that's pretty interesting. These were some seriously crooked hombres.

I read a book about Watergate about a year ago for one of my classes (US History II), and actually really enjoyed it. I never really knew much about the more "modern" history of the United States, b/c my teacher in high school told us, there were the 60's, 70's, and then the 80's, and that's it. We seemed to always stop after WWII. Anyway, I can't remember the name of the book, but it was written by one of the reporters involved, and I found it fascinating. People talk about the things politicians have done in their past and what not, and I was actually really shocked to see that the public was so floored by the whole scandal. I think because this happened before my lifetime, that there are such vast differences now in how people get their news and information and how quickly things spread, it would not have been as shocking if it had happened in today's society. Does that make sense? Probably not. Anyway, I also found myself shocked at all the names of various participants in the scandal that I know as other celebrities or political figures, and never realized they were associated with Watergate. Anyway, just thought I would share, since I am a history nut anyway... ;)

GB-James
01-22-2012, 12:08 AM
My list of books Im reading-

My exciting books are Manual J, Manual N, Manual D which are all load calculations and delivery design for Heating, Ventillation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC). Next the mediocre book is Macroeconomics. Lastly the put me to sleep book is Moral Philosophy... Reading about Plato writing about Socraties life long quest to understand morals is BORING!

Other than that its the standart list of children books with Dr Suess being my favorite books to read to the little ones. Well that and Dads Are For Catching Fireflies (^_^)

dinsdale1978
01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
[yt:iop7gpow]mJeuboomx-M[/yt:iop7gpow]

Here's my video trying to give some options for readings for FPS fans.

Major Stains
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
[yt:348asm8b]mJeuboomx-M[/yt:348asm8b]

This is just superb.
A great idea, brilliantly edited. Your skills are wasted here :applause:

Having heard the podcasts, your commentary style is perfect for this.
Could you do those titles as Audiobooks for me, to save me reading them ;)

TrojanTeacher
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I was going to read WAR, but I took an arrow to...well, yeah...

dinsdale1978
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
[yt:1vasegqa]mJeuboomx-M[/yt:1vasegqa]

This is just superb.
A great idea, brilliantly edited. Your skills are wasted here :applause:

Having heard the podcasts, your commentary style is perfect for this.
Could you do those titles as Audiobooks for me, to save me reading them ;)

Thanks Stains. I was hoping more commentators would see it but this is bad timing with the MW3 DLC release.

CB-40
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I appreciate your attempt at encouraging some of these yokes to broaden their horizons. Hopefully some will take notice :-bd

Phantom
03-31-2012, 03:17 PM
A must read in my eyes is 'The Dice Man'. You really need to keep an open mind with it though

TonkaToys
12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Just started reading Harry Potter to the boys; they love it and I forgot how much fun they are.

Ullrsdog
12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm reading this now...

Gink
12-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Just started reading Harry Potter to the boys; they love it and I forgot how much fun they are.

I've been reading them to my daughter. We only get in 30-45 minutes on the nights I have her, so we've been working on the series since last spring sometime, I think. She just turned 8 so I keep expecting her to want to take a break from them, as the vocabulary and characters get more mature. But we finish one and she's like "next!" I'd only seen the first 2 films, so the story beyond that has all been new. I've really enjoyed them, aside from "Goblet of Fire" which was crazy long and pretty slow through most of it. Reading "Order of the Phoenix" now and things are happening. Looking forward to watching the films I haven't yet seen now that we've read them.

FeelinKorny
12-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I only read picture books

HardlyCapable13
12-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I read a lot of non-fiction. As for fiction titles, for 2013 I've read the DragonLance Triology (again) by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, 11/22/63 by Stephen King, Dr. Sleep by Stephen King, Linsey's Story by Stephen King, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son), and NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Retro
12-12-2013, 01:17 PM
After they announced the Enders Game movie, I decided to go back and read the Ender's series. Currently on Xenocide. Also going to finally go back and read the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Bought the books back in the 90's and just never got around to reading them for one reason or another. My goal for 2014 is to finally read them.

TonkaToys
12-13-2013, 10:33 AM
The Mars series is pretty good, a believable depiction of the colonisation and subsequent political implications of having another inhabited planet nearby.

Haven't read Enders yet

Gink
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Mars series sounds interesting. Ender's Game is a classic, but in many ways I liked the 2 or 3 books after it more.

I've been spending so much time reading text books for school, I've been finding it hard to get really hooked on any fiction for a while. Recently read Shards of Honor, the start of Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. Finished it quick, enjoyed it, but lost interest in the sequel within 50 pages.

Started reading John Shirley's "Black Glass" last night, a story he originally started in collaboration with William Gibson in the 80's. Supposed to be gritty, rock n roll cyberpunk. We'll see, Shirley mostly writes companion novels for video games and TV series anymore.

HardlyCapable13
01-22-2015, 12:53 AM
Just finished "Without You There Is No Us" (non-fiction) by Suki Kim. She spent some time as a "spy" of sorts, disguised as a teacher in North Korea. This memoir is her account of the time she spent there. It's a very eye opening, interesting, and informative read. Highly recommended.

http://i719.photobucket.com/albums/ww193/jlesieur13/7f603f6047fa75b810d17a59a775ecca_zpsd9f80fea.jpg

FeelinKorny
01-22-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm actually very close to picking up a kindle fire hd and get back into reading. I could always go the old fashion way and get real books but I love the idea of compiling a nice collection that takes up no space. Ala digital gaming.

Bravo6
08-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Just finished Before Your Kids Drive You Crazy (https://books.google.bg/books/about/Before_Your_Kids_Drive_You_Crazy_Read_Th.html?id=0 Fvj_Vy-VYoC&redir_esc=y) :bowl:

Gink
08-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Just finished Before Your Kids Drive You Crazy (https://books.google.bg/books/about/Before_Your_Kids_Drive_You_Crazy_Read_Th.html?id=0 Fvj_Vy-VYoC&redir_esc=y) :bowl:

How was that? Informative? Don't think I've read any parenting books since first starting out on the crazy venture. Might have to pick that one up. House full of girls, they definitely do drive me crazy at times.

On the other side of the Parenting/Gaming coin, I recently finished Ready Player One, and enjoyed it immensely. A fun read full of tidbits and references to video games and other pop culture from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I recommend any adult gamer give it a read. If we had a Team MP book club, it would have to be #1 on the reading list.

JockoPablo
01-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Right now I'm enjoying Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation (http://www.amazon.com/Lou-Scheimer-Creating-Filmation-Generation/dp/160549044X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452087132&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=making+the+filmation). Along with Hanna Barbera, Filmation pretty much defines my childhood TV viewing. Scheimer created so many wonderful shows, many of which I have on DVD now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/611JRnv53gL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_.jpg

Major Stains
01-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Right now I'm enjoying Lou Scheimer: Creating the Filmation Generation (http://www.amazon.com/Lou-Scheimer-Creating-Filmation-Generation/dp/160549044X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452087132&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=making+the+filmation). Along with Hanna Barbera, Filmation pretty much defines my childhood TV viewing. Scheimer created so many wonderful shows, many of which I have on DVD now.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/611JRnv53gL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_QL70_.jpg

You can't beat animated heavyweights such as the likes of Mighty Mouse and Snarf!

I always have Mighty Mouse's strapline/ theme tune playing in my head when I'm flying in on an X Wing playing Battlefront! Although the impending results are far from mighty.

TonkaToys
01-08-2016, 07:19 AM
Anyone read the River's Of London series by Ben Aaronovitch (sp?)

Good bunch of fun, lightweight fantasy books about magic in the modern world, all of which is being monitored in the UK by a secret part of the British police force. Quite amusing and engaging.

TonkaToys
12-12-2016, 04:39 AM
I have been inspired by buzzing around in biplanes and triplanes in BF1 to read the Biggles series. Really enjoying it as an easy read about an interesting time in aerial warfare. :plane:

I'll probably read some of these to the kids for their bedtime stories, after I finish reading them the last Harry Potter.

James Bigglesworth, nicknamed "Biggles", is a fictional pilot and adventurer, the title character and hero of the Biggles series of adventure books, written for young readers by W. E. Johns (1893–1968).
Biggles first appears as a teenaged fighter pilot in the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) during the First World War. He has joined the RFC in 1916 at the age of 17, having conveniently "lost" his birth certificate. Biggles represents a particularly "British" hero, combining professionalism with a gentlemanly air. Under the stress of combat he develops from a slightly hysterical youth prone to practical jokes to a calm, confident, competent leader. He is occasionally given secret missions by the shadowy figure of Colonel Raymond .

He tilted the machine on to its side, holding up his nose with the throttle, and commenced to slip wing-tip first towards the ground. Whether he was over British or German territory he neither knew nor cared; he had to get on to the ground or be burnt alive.

This is the story of the very beginning - of the Air Service and of Biggles. It's the First World War and Biggles is just 17; the planes are primitive; combat tactics are non-existent; and pilots and their gunners communicate by hand signals and have no contact with the ground. This is where Biggles learns his craft and finds he has a certain aptitude for flying in battle...

GRRowl74
12-12-2016, 06:35 AM
Ah, I remember old Biggles! Used to read them when I was a kid. Easy read, packed with action and comfortably predictable that Biggles will save the day in the end, if I recall correctly. :)

Scottgun00
12-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Re-reading this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51R%2BzTAgS-L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

TonkaToys
12-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Ah, I remember old Biggles! Used to read them when I was a kid. Easy read, packed with action and comfortably predictable that Biggles will save the day in the end, if I recall correctly. :)

Yep - exactly how you remember them, and how I remembered them from when I was a kid.

Scottgun: I haven't heard of that one... is it a Mythbusters for WW1?

I heard the Guinness Book of Records is amending its entry for "the worst crocodile attack ever"; apparently a large contingent of Japanese were retreating from the Allies through marshes in WW2 and were massacred by the resident crocodiles. However this has BUSTED; instead what seems to have happened is that the Allies slaughtered them as they retreated and the crocs ate the dead...

That's alright then. :croc: